Wayne Millard Murder Trial - Dellen Millard Charged With Murder - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark Carcasole‏Verified account @MarkCarcGlobal 2m2 minutes ago
Smith says he found Wayne #Millard “laying flat in his bed. Appeared to be some vomit, dried...Blood.”

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 2m2 minutes ago
Smith says Wayne Millard was lying flat on his bed, and had dried blood and vomit coming out of his mouth and nose. His skin colour was dark, and he wasn't breathing, he says. He also had blankets on him. #Millard

Lisa Hepfner‏ @LisaHepfnerCHCH 2m2 minutes ago
Wayne #Millard was on the bed, some blood and vomit on his face. His skin was dark -- meaning his blood had stopped pumping, Smith says. He was under blankets.

Mark Carcasole‏Verified account @MarkCarcGlobal 55s55 seconds ago
Smith says Wayne #Millard was under his blankets. Can’t recall what he was wearing. Didn’t disturb the body. Called police and coroner to tell them what he found.

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 51s51 seconds ago
Smith says he would've called police to update them on what was found, which was standard. Then notified the coroner. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 55s56 seconds ago
He says he made no attempts to determine cause of death -- it's not in his job description. #Millard

Lisa Hepfner‏ @LisaHepfnerCHCH 55s56 seconds ago
Smith says he would have notified police and coroner. He did not try to determine cause of death. That's not in his job description. #Millard

Mark Carcasole‏Verified account @MarkCarcGlobal 33s34 seconds ago
Have to step out to do a quick interview. Will come back to court shortly.

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 26s27 seconds ago
Smith says he couldn't see any injuries. #Millard

Lisa Hepfner‏ @LisaHepfnerCHCH 11s12 seconds ago
Blood was coming from Wayne #Millard's mouth. Smith did not observe any injuries.

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 11s11 seconds ago
He says paramedics arrived on scene at 7 p.m. on Nov. 29, 2012. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 1m1 minute ago
Smith says the call came in as a cardiac arrest. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 32s32 seconds ago
"On a cardiac arrest, would you see blood coming out of someone's mouth?" Cameron asks. "You could," Smith says. His notes show Millard's body was "cold to touch in a warm room," which signified he would have been dead for some time. #Millard

Lisa Hepfner‏ @LisaHepfnerCHCH 29s29 seconds ago
Wayne #Millard call came in as a cardiac arrest, which could lead to blood coming from his mouth, Smith says. Millard had been dead awhile; Smith knows because his body was cold in the warm room.

marianne boucher‏ @CityCourtsTO 52s52 seconds ago
Crown Jill Cameron now calls second witness in Millard trial the EMS responder. Says he recalls going to an Etobicoke home where a man showed us in. Told them he found his father dead. Victim was laying flat on his bed and not breathing. Says call came in as a cardiac arrest.

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 17s17 seconds ago
That's it for the Crown's questions. Pillay is asking to address the judge on a question in the absence of the witness. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 5m5 minutes ago
Smith says "I remember going to a house. A male brought us into the house. Told us what had happened, found his father dead ... I remember a lot of plane memorabilia." Says he also spoke with Millard's mother, Madeleine. #Millard

So MB was there before EMS and Police? Hmmm...
It seems so.. it was also indicated in an MSM article:

"According to court documents and pre-trial motions, it was Dellen Millard who found his father’s body in the home the two shared in Toronto’s west end on Nov. 29, 2012. He then called his mother, Madeleine Burns – his parents had separated in 1990 and divorced in 1996 – and told her Wayne Millard was dead, court documents show.

Burns went to the house and then called 911, court documents show."

Convicted killer Dellen Millard to stand trial in father’s death

Pillay is asking the judge not to consider evidence about any conversation Smith had with Millard, as it's the first he's ever mentioned it. Pillay says the "prejudicial impact" overcomes its "probative value." #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 7s8 seconds ago
Pillay says he'll cross-examine Smith today, and then they'll have a legal argument about whether or not the judge should consider that specific evidence at a later time. #Millard

Pillay says Smith has a "very poor memory of the call." He agrees. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 21s22 seconds ago
Pillay really hammering home here that Smith has little memory of what took place on this call aside from reports that were made -- some done about six months after the incident. #Millard

Lisa Hepfner‏ @LisaHepfnerCHCH 15s15 seconds ago
Pillay quizzing Smith about details he put in the incident report. The paramedic has scant memory of the Nov 29, 2012 call. "I was asked to fill it out, I wasn't told why," he says of the report he prepared a year later. He doesn't describe conversations in the incident report.

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 35s35 seconds ago
Pillay says there is no mention of a conversation with people on scene in the incident report. Smith says that's correct. #Millard

Does anyone know, either from first-hand experience or following other cases, whether the incident report is supposed to be filled out for every call the EMS responds to, or every death? I'm wondering if not filling it out is a mistake made, or if it isn't required every time. If it's not required, I can understand how this witness wouldn't remember much. He probably sees gruesome/tragic scenes every day of his career.

Smith says he "wouldn't say" his recollection is "highly accurate." #Millard

Lisa Hepfner‏ @LisaHepfnerCHCH 46s46 seconds ago
Dellen #Millard has mostly been focused on his computer and taking notes throughout this first day of trial. Occasionally displays his smirk. Or the grimace. They are similar expressions for him.

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 31s32 seconds ago
There's information related to "alcohol abuse" on one of these forms. Smith says he gathered that info somewhere on scene. #Millard

And possibly TPS explained they were suspecting foul play in his death - that's how I interpret her reaction. She's reeling from the news that it may not be suicide and trying to protect the family in a way, and explain it away... IMO of course.

I agree. And I’m just noticing deugirtni has expanded on the emotions that might be at play and said it much more eloquently than I.

Just to add, (since I can’t figure out how to delete posts) it’s often said sudden and unexpected suicide is tougher on friends and family than the person choosing to take their own life might realize. “Why didn’t I notice something was wrong, was it something about me, something I did or said, something I should’ve said or did .......” Those are extremely common unanswered questions that sometimes never really pass. So I can also understand why a murder investigation would then send this woman into an emotional frenzy.

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 27s27 seconds ago
Smith says he touched Millard's neck at the scene, and he was cold. #Millard

That's it for Pillay. Cameron now asking an additional question. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 3m3 minutes ago
Smith says Millard "obviously did not have a pulse." Now he's finished. #Millard

In redirect crown clarifies that paramedic touched Wayne #Millard neck but didn't check carotid artery because he was obviously dead. He is done. Next witness is officer with crime scene photos.

Mark Carcasole‏Verified account @MarkCarcGlobal 1m1 minute ago
No further questions for Bill Smith. Next witness being called. #Millard

The next witness is Det. Const. Jeffrey Johnston. #Millard

He's an officer with Toronto police -- he's been there for 32 years. Crown Ken Lockhart is doing this exam in chief. #Millard

Lisa Hepfner‏ @LisaHepfnerCHCH 36s36 seconds ago
Jeffrey Johnston is in forensic identification for Toronto police. He was on duty Nov 29, 2012. He brought his notes to court; his observations during the investigation. He's reviewed them. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 12s13 seconds ago
He says on Nov. 29, 2012, he got notice to attend at 5 Maple Gate Court for a suspicious death investigation. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 48s48 seconds ago
Johnston got there at 11:25 p.m. #Millard

Lisa Hepfner‏ @LisaHepfnerCHCH 41s42 seconds ago
A supervisor asked Johnston to attend Maple Gate at 10:15pm after Wayne #Millard was found dead. He arrived at Maple Gate more than an hour later. Other officers were already there.

Does anyone know, either from first-hand experience or following other cases, whether the incident report is supposed to be filled out for every call the EMS responds to, or every death? I'm wondering if not filling it out is a mistake made, or if it isn't required every time. If it's not required, I can understand how this witness wouldn't remember much. He probably sees gruesome/tragic scenes every day of his career.

I found this:
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/programs/ehs/docs/ehs_ont_amb_doc_standards_v3_en.pdf

"3
a.
An Incident Report shall be completed with respect to an unusual occurrence, including but not limited to, the following:

iv.
Cases of suspicious or unexpected death that may be likely to result in a coroner and/or police investigation;"

Not sure if it's the case here or not though.

Lisa Hepfner‏ @LisaHepfnerCHCH 20s20 seconds ago
Johnston went to Wayne #Millard's bedroom. Detectives were there. A dead man was in the bed lying on his left side. His partner was taking photos, which were then uploaded to a Toronto police server. He's reviewed those photos.

He says he didn't take photos that night, his partner did. But he's the one bringing them before the court today. The court will now see photos of the scene. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 48s49 seconds ago
The first photo is the outside of the home, at night. #Millard

Photo of the exterior of Maple Gate ranch-style home at night. A car parked in front. Johnston is describing the scene. #Millard

We're now moving inside in the photos. Now we're seeing the open area that runs off the main hall through the house. #Millard

I'm curious to see how the house looks in these photos in comparison to the ones taken after WM had been deceased for a while and DM took over, as seen in photos from the LB and TB investigation(s).

We're now walking down the hallway (in photos) in Millard's home. #Millard

Lisa Hepfner‏ @LisaHepfnerCHCH 1m1 minute ago
Series of photos leads inside 5 Maple Gate. Seems to be lots of furniture randomly set in halls by doors. Hallway leads to Wayne #Millard's bedroom.

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 36s37 seconds ago
We're now seeing photos from the bedroom where Wayne Millard was found. There's an armchair and computer chair with a lot of clothes piled on them. #Millard

Lisa Hepfner‏ @LisaHepfnerCHCH 43s43 seconds ago
Photo shows #Millard room jammed with furniture. He's lying on the bed, on his side. Orange blankets on his lower body.

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 18s18 seconds ago
We can now see the bed with Millard's body on it. He's lying on his side, partially covered with blankets. What appears to be blood has dripped down over the edge of the bed. #Millard

Mark Carcasole‏Verified account @MarkCarcGlobal 54s54 seconds ago
Had phone difficulties...Crown now examining Tor Police forensics officer Jeffrey Johnston. He is taking court through crime scene pictures of Wayne #Millard’s house. In one of them we see WM’s body in bed. A stream of blood dripping from his head down the side of his mattress.

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 20s20 seconds ago
Johnston says he was in the room with the coroner, and he pointed out a bag on the floor. There was a handgun on top of the bag, Johnston says. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 36s36 seconds ago
"I could see it was a revolver on top of the bag," Johnston says. #Millard

Lisa Hepfner‏ @LisaHepfnerCHCH 21s21 seconds ago
Johnston noticed a handgun on a bag after it was pointed out to him. "I could see that it was a revolver." He made initial observations about the body and spoke to the coroner, who wanted to make a further examination. #Millard

Mark Carcasole‏Verified account @MarkCarcGlobal 9s9 seconds ago
Johnston makes reference to a revolver found in the room on top of a bag. Directed officers to take photos of Wayne #Millard’s bedroom and home.

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 48s49 seconds ago
The bag is on the floor between Millard's bed and a wooden dresser. #Millard

Lisa Hepfner‏ @LisaHepfnerCHCH 22s23 seconds ago
The gun on the bag is in the photo but Johnston has to point it out before the object is recognizable. #Millard.

Mark Carcasole‏Verified account @MarkCarcGlobal 5s6 seconds ago
Court sees body photo again. Bag is on ground to Wayne #Millard’s left side. Can’t see it in photo but Johnston says gun was found on top of it and later seized.

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 24s25 seconds ago
Now we're back to the main hallway of the residence in photos. #Millard

Mark Carcasole‏Verified account @MarkCarcGlobal 4s4 seconds ago
Photo is taken from a bit of a distance, but Wayne #Millard appears to be lying on his side in the photo. He has a white tank top on. His lower half covered under an orange blanket.

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 54s55 seconds ago
We're seeing photos through the rest of Millard's house. Now looking at a room that's partially storage. #Millard

Lisa Hepfner‏ @LisaHepfnerCHCH 10s11 seconds ago
Other rooms in the #Millard house are stuffed with furniture and belongings. Often in piles.

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 16s16 seconds ago
Lots of these photos look familiar to me from the Bosma/Babcock trials -- but they're slightly different, as they were taken a few years previous to those. #Millard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214