We need help identifying this brand of shoes.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
OP is posting from a Twitter post from the founder of the Cold Case Investigative Research Institute. I replied to the original Twitter post and asked for general location and date. Sherri liked my post, but did not provide the information. Below is the only information provided in the original post.
View attachment 380134
I have become an expert on shoe treads thanks to this post. I have reviewed thousands across hundreds of brands both new and old. The one thing they they all have in common is, none of them have model numbers printed on the tread. I have seen logos and brand names. I have also seen some non-slip (restaurant/cafeteria workers wear these) and work shoe (steel toe, etc.) with a word or two printed on the bottom but it is very small and not in the tread.
View attachment 380138View attachment 380140
I think we need to refocus the search on what shoe has something printed largely in the tread if we are going to figure this out, so we can all sleep again and not dream of shoeprints.
Not only in the tread, but part of the tread? I wonder why all the secrecy over a shoe print?

OP is posting from a Twitter post from the founder of the Cold Case Investigative Research Institute. I replied to the original Twitter post and asked for general location and date. Sherri liked my post, but did not provide the information. Below is the only information provided in the original post.
View attachment 380134
I have become an expert on shoe treads thanks to this post. I have reviewed thousands across hundreds of brands both new and old. The one thing they they all have in common is, none of them have model numbers printed on the tread. I have seen logos and brand names. I have also seen some non-slip (restaurant/cafeteria workers wear these) and work shoe (steel toe, etc.) with a word or two printed on the bottom but it is very small and not in the tread.
I think we need to refocus the search on what shoe has something printed largely in the tread if we are going to figure this out, so we can all sleep again and not dream of shoeprints.
I know scale is lacking in the original image but, to me, the design appears really large relative to the size of the shoe. Clear across the ball of the foot. Small shoe, large letters???

JMO

I know scale is lacking in the original image but, to me, the design appears really large relative to the size of the shoe. Clear across the ball of the foot. Small shoe, large letters???

JMO
There's always the possibility it isn’t a brand, but a style?

Think Air Jordans for example. Nike swoosh, Jordan silhouette.

Does anyone recognize this shoe imprint ? Or do you know of a good place to search for shoe brand imprints ? Please let us know if you do. If you don’t have time to search you can post links below that you feel can help in the search. This imprint is relation to The Cold Case Investigative Research Institute . If you’re not comfortable posting below you may private message me in here or email me at producer@websleuths.com Thank you for your time.
@megs1477 , RSBM for focus
Great work finding that tweet! imo
I wonder if @Trackergd could offer any input, suggestions, or thoughts about this partial print/ imprint.
Eta: As this thread does not pertain to SAR, I hope Trackergd doesn’t mind the tag. It was with great admiration and respect, that I did so. :)

Last edited:
Right? Either it's not important and it's a test to see how good we are...or it's major. lol Who knows. But now I'm in and I want an answer either way.
I too wondered if it was a test because of the lack of information in the 1st post, AND her not answering our questions even though she has more than likely seen them (JMO) since she was posting in this thread after they were asked. Plus the fact I @'ed her to catch her attention. And the fact she liked your Twitter post, yet didn't provide answers...

Wish y'all the best of luck with this challenge. :) I'm out.

it is not a "bespoke" shoe so that tells me a lot of them were made which means there were design drawings and molds, IMO. Of course they could be in some remote country- Romania, the Seychelles, I don't know- some place we are less likely to find them on the net.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has wondered if this some sort of test, lol.:p

Either way I'm here for it.

I know SO much more about shoe soles than I did a week ago. Not in a hundred years did I think I'd know about safety markings and codes and which shape is most slip resistant (hexagon, if your talking rubber).

If we had the country and decade in which the crime took place it sure would help. Is it possible they don't have that basic info?

After getting nowhere slowly, I started concentrating on the trefoil shape. I have found a few that are lines, not circles... like half an asterisk, if that makes sense. I have found only two shoes, out of thousands, that have the 3-circle trefoil. One was from brand Kangol, and one was Fly London.

Interestingly, I found a link between the Fly London brand and LADG - London Advertising and Design Group. But as far as I can tell that is a dead end.

Pics of the shoes with trefoils like our print below.

Attachments

• 23488126_l_a1.jpg
    23488126_l_a1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20221116_103740.jpg
    IMG_20221116_103740.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 26
it is not a "bespoke" shoe so that tells me a lot of them were made which means there were design drawings and molds, IMO. Of course they could be in some remote country- Romania, the Seychelles, I don't know- some place we are less likely to find them on the net.
How do you know it's not bespoke? I'm sure there is a way to know, but I'm clueless.

View attachment 380134
Right, it is not the model or style or brand. Like I posted before it is the indicator/mark that the sole is made of vulcanized rubber (vulcanizado), probably over 20 years ago, and most likely made in Spain. IMO.

Right, it is not the model or style or brand. Like I posted before it is the indicator/mark that the sole is made of vulcanized rubber (vulcanizado), probably over 20 years ago, and most likely made in Spain. IMO.
Ack! I remember you mentioned Vulcanized rubber and used "vulcanizado," but I just didn't put two and two together that you were saying this is what the lettering is.

Am I the only one that missed that?

So the design needs to identified, and it's going to be made of vulcanized rubber. That means no stitching around the sole.

I'm still wondering about what appears to be faint lettering (maybe from another print because it's at an angle) in the upper right of the photo. Could it be the CAT logo?

I woke up in the middle of the night (as per usual) and laid there thinking about this task. I am leaning very strongly toward this NOT being an impression made in dirt, and that it's a blood print transferred from the bottom of the shoe to fabric when someone stepped on it. That makes more sense to me since as a few of us have mentioned... it looks like fabric behind it. I just can't wrap my head around a shoe sole looking like fabric weave with the placement of a logo on top of it. That just does not compute. LOL MOO :cool:

@Insightful1 - Several of us have unanswered questions that would help us all out a lot.

1) What year was the crime? Even if unknown just us knowing when the print was found would tell it it was that year or before. Even a ballpark would work.
2) Where did the crime take place? For me, all I need is the country since individual states don't make their own brands of shoes. But I'll take the state if you have it! :) Knowing if it was made in the US vs. China, Mexico, etc... would be very helpful to us.
3) Do you know how the impression was made? Like was it a print found in dirt or mud, or is it a bloody transfer onto fabric as I outlined above?
4) I'd like to know if LE thinks they are M or F shoes. Did LE state they are tied to the perpetrator (I'd think Male. Sorry guys....) or are they from a female victim? I'm not a sole expert but sole designs may vary by gender.

Thank you! We all want to help you get the answers you seek and answers to these questions will help us do that for you!! :D
I’ll have to check and see if they’re able to provide that info.

How do you know it's not bespoke? I'm sure there is a way to know, but I'm clueless.
I see that as a cast sole- not some one off hand made sole with hand sewing. I could be wrong because people can cut parts of shoes and soles off and "make a new pair" or restore one, but this looks machine made to me, IMO.

would a Mexican shoe have the same imprint?

I have seen shoes imported from Spain in the US but Mexico is closer and
for newer shoes, neither country is a top producer:

Last edited:

@megs1477 , RSBM for focus
Great work finding that tweet! imo
I wonder if @Trackergd could offer any input, suggestions, or thoughts about this partial print/ imprint.
Eta: As this thread does not pertain to SAR, I hope Trackergd doesn’t mind the tag. It was with great admiration and respect, that I did so. :)
Sheryl was a guest on our Websleuths YouTube show and asked for help on the show identifying the print.

It's hard to tell how many custom made shoe companies there are. All I know is that there's one in a small town of less than 6,000 a couple of miles from me. So if a small town can have one... I'm guessing there might be a fair amount of them out there.
Then the only way to have any idea is to actually know the tread imprint. What it says, IDK I suppose its possible to narrow that down? IMO its kind of hard to even state that because as we' have seen there are a couple of logos that could go here as they all make sense. That 13 is it a size? Or just some kind of number attributed to whatever? If this footware made an imprint like it did the ground it made the imprint in had to be malliable or paint, or blood? It had to be something similar to what I just suggested because otherwise I just don't see how this pattern could be made by that particular footware.

Could it be and older version of Canadian brand Taos? Trying to account for the potential for smearing and wear on the does distorting the print. The tread on every shoe seems to be different for Taos, with varied patterns and images. Worth looking into imo.

I swear I feel like I've seen this damn tread before. Bad news is it was in a flea market in bumfuk eastern europe. We're probably better off checking alibaba and aliexpress for the non word version tbh.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back