Welcome To Websleuths # 2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if this will help or not Gooddeeds but I was initially unsure of the benefit of having watched threads and unwatched threads and all that jazz... until I used the "mark forums read" button. That is when the system started working for me.

It marks all of your subscribed (watched) threads as completely read at that point and clears them from your watched threads tab, but you can still find them in your history tab if you want to refresh yourself as to what was last going on in the case. Anytime someone makes a new post in one of your watched threads the thread shows up again in your watched threads tab where you can go to see the new replies. Clicking on the little blue dot at the left of the thread title then takes you to the first unread post.

Tortoise, thank you. Where do I find Mark Forums Read button? I don’t see it.

Tortoise, thank you. Where do I find Mark Forums Read button? I don’t see it.
Well if yours is the same as mine go to the forums tab on the top orange bar, then on the black bar beneath the orange bar 'mark forums read' is the furthest left. Let me know if that's as clear as mud :D

I don't know if this will help or not Gooddeeds but I was initially unsure of the benefit of having watched threads and unwatched threads and all that jazz... until I used the "mark forums read" button. That is when the system started working for me.

It marks all of your subscribed (watched) threads as completely read at that point and clears them from your watched threads tab, but you can still find them in your history tab if you want to refresh yourself as to what was last going on in the case. Anytime someone makes a new post in one of your watched threads the thread shows up again in your watched threads tab where you can go to see the new replies. Clicking on the little blue dot at the left of the thread title then takes you to the first unread post.
Actually I do need to correct something here because I realized after that it wasn't quite right.

After you've marked all your threads as read the place to view all your subscribed threads that don't have new replies is in your watched threads tab (not your history tab), but you have to ask it to show them by clicking the magic button that says "show all watched threads". That is when you can see all of your subscribed threads ordered by the date and time of the last post, most recent at the top.

Well if yours is the same as mine go to the forums tab on the top orange bar, then on the black bar beneath the orange bar 'mark forums read' is the furthest left. Let me know if that's as clear as mud :D

It isn’t spelled out on my black bar. Mine is to the far right, after New Post and looks like this ...

So I clicked on the dot dot dot and there it was. I’m trying Marked Forums Read out to see how it goes. History so far has been the least tethered for me.

Thanks Tortoise!

I'd go in fear of Mark Forums Read; all it did for me was wipe out all my Watched Threads. (I now have to re-watch them, and waste another click on that.) Otherwise it seems to have accomplished nothing.

Otherwise, I am still baffled as to why New Posts does not actually show all new threads and posts.

Actually I do need to correct something here because I realized after that it wasn't quite right.

After you've marked all your threads as read the place to view all your subscribed threads that don't have new replies is in your watched threads tab (not your history tab), but you have to ask it to show them by clicking the magic button that says "show all watched threads". That is when you can see all of your subscribed threads ordered by the date and time of the last post, most recent at the top.

Ok, I just saw your adjustment, thank you!

I'd go in fear of Mark Forums Read; all it did for me was wipe out all my Watched Threads. (I now have to re-watch them, and waste another click on that.) Otherwise it seems to have accomplished nothing.

Otherwise, I am still baffled as to why New Posts does not actually show all new threads and posts.

:( So far I’m ok.

This is what I did shortly after we moved over and it has worked perfectly for me. Now my first trip when I visit is to my watched threads tab and I can see all responses since I was last here and it takes me directly to my first unread post.

I guess I am lucky, I haven’t had any problems...all of my watched threads are intact, I can go straight to my first unread post and my alerts work perfectly (after I set my preferences).

Thank you Tricia. Dave, here's some pizza to keep you going
pizza-smiley.gif
while you
geek-smiley.gif

hehaha-smiley.gif

Why is the George Clooney thread in the Active? It’s June 2017...unless I missed something...

When you say "Hit or miss" can you describe exactly what is happening and get a screen shot?

I’m not the OP, but my alerts are also hit or miss. For instance, I’ve been on WS a few times since mid afternoon EST, but haven’t gotten any notifications that there are new posts in this thread. Sometimes I get alerts about new posts in threads I’m watching, and sometimes I don’t. It’s not a matter of my notification settings bc I *do* get alerts when there are new posts, but only sometimes. Hope this makes sense

Then what is the point of alerts if I have to take other steps to see updates on threads I follow? Idk, I consider myself pretty tech savvy and I am not finding my experience to be user friendly.

Ahhh youth! Yer smaht phones and yer MOG's and OMG's... When I first started out all we had was key strokes, then they came out with smiley's and we were darn glad to have em! :-0

I’ve been around since dial up Internet and chat rooms... but I was super young and more interested in making a cool AOL profile than anything else lol.

But for real, the old sites smiley face things are super 90s. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018