Welcome To Websleuths # 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Timewarp to lightspeed on the page loads, sweet!
Problem - nauseous after 30 min + unable to read the current format without a blazing migraine. I read all over the net + never had this issue prior? "Printable version"? Assuming from what I did get through, skins were cut? Trying to find a way to continue reading here but struggling greatly. Any suggestions much appreciated + yes I've adjusted my monitor settings + couldn't improve things that way either. Yet. I'll have 386 new questions once I solve that issue. :D

Ditto 2 & 3.

No.3 is my bugbear. The text manually deleted if you decide not to post reappears when you refresh the page, and is still there in the reply box even if you close the page and come back again. There used to be a cancel button.

Highlight your text in the Reply box, press your DEL key. Then press the Drafts icon (to the left of Undo) above the Reply box and select Delete Draft.

Highlight your text in the Reply box, press your DEL key. Then press the Drafts icon (to the left of Undo) above the Reply box and select Delete Draft.
Thank you JJ, that is what I have been doing but it's a bit of a pain to have to do four steps instead of the old one-step cancel button. So be it if the new software can't cater for it, but I did see the guy in the demo video using a cancel button.

Thank you JJ, that is what I have been doing but it's a bit of a pain to have to do four steps instead of the old one-step cancel button. So be it if the new software can't cater for it, but I did see the guy in the demo video using a cancel button.

I agree. The good thing about it though is it stays as a draft if you need to leave the page you're on to look at something else and then return to it.

Ok, just noticed something new about this new format.

Our "likes" are calculated for all to see? For some that may be great, but to see in black and white (ok black and tan) that you're low man on the totem pole and everyone knows it, it's just embarrassing. Honestly, it makes me feel like maybe what I contribute here isn't deemed helpful or something. And yes, I'm a very sensitive person. But it seems like a popularity contest and my stats SUCK.

(Don't worry, I don't expect this post to get any likes LOL).

@WS Admin

Can you please turn off the "likes" stats underneath my avatar? I hope there is a way to do this. I just noticed mine are really low in comparison to most others and feel like I'm suddenly in a popularity contest, and quickly losing. Like the last person who was picked for a team. I suffer from severe depression at time, some ptsd, and self-esteem issues. It's not healthy for me to think my posts or myself are not "liked" or appreciated. I'm on here trying to help just like everyone else, but this is triggering to me. :(

@WS Admin

Can you please turn off the "likes" stats underneath my avatar? I hope there is a way to do this. I just noticed mine are really low in comparison to most others and feel like I'm suddenly in a popularity contest, and quickly losing. Like the last person who was picked for a team. I suffer from severe depression at time, some ptsd, and self-esteem issues. It's not healthy for me to think my posts or myself are not "liked" or appreciated. I'm on here trying to help just like everyone else, but this is triggering to me. :(

Haven71, I had to get used to accepting the likes don't really mean "liked". many of us click it with a different reason behind the click. Some liked the post, some just click to indicate they read it, some just click to indicate that's where they left off. Whatever it may mean to me is likely not what it means to others. Try not to think of it as a popularity contest or we may both be in last place. I have about 10% of my messages as "likes" and I've been here forever; you are relatively new here and already have over 5% liked. We can bet on how quick you reach 10% ... I bet it does not take years.

Hugs!!

Agreed! I liked seeing when a thread was "hot", high number of members and guests viewing.

I also liked seeing when someone else was viewing on cold case threads, I was more encouraged to write something as someone else was also viewing.

No big deal if we can't, I'd just liked it.

I so agree there is something comforting to know others are following a story especially when breaking

my gosh the things this thing can do it cant be that hard! i miss it too my dear

its also easier when I am manic cause when a thread is going fast i don't have to slow my head down!

can just rock! ha

@WS Admin

The semantics are also in play for you as well IMO

Like and TY have two different automatic responses in any context .

Haven71, I had to get used to accepting the likes don't really mean "liked". many of us click it with a different reason behind the click. Some liked the post, some just click to indicate they read it, some just click to indicate that's where they left off. Whatever it may mean to me is likely not what it means to others. Try not to think of it as a popularity contest or we may both be in last place. I have about 10% of my messages as "likes" and I've been here forever; you are relatively new here and already have over 5% liked. We can bet on how quick you reach 10% ... I bet it does not take years.

Hugs!!
Good points Spellbound!
But let's do the current math:
haven71 has 250 Likes for 549 Messages = 46%
Spellbound has 1,309 Likes for 14,571 Messages = 9%
After getting comfortable with the new forum, now I rarely look at the Likes and Trophy Points. But I certainly understand how both of these can be annoying.

Good points Spellbound!
But let's do the current math:
haven71 has 250 Likes for 549 Messages = 46%
Spellbound has 1,309 Likes for 14,571 Messages = 9%
After getting comfortable with the new forum, now I rarely look at the Likes and Trophy Points. But I certainly understand how both of these can be annoying.

Spell my dear !

No worries if we extrapolate (very generally I have no clue how to do it!) the above data i would be around four percent no worries honey your slamming it !

Spell my dear !

No worries if we extrapolate (very generally I have no clue how to do it!) the above data i would be around four percent no worries honey your slamming it !
The LIKES have been tallying for just three weeks, whereas the total MESSAGES are from the beginning of WS membership. So, there really isn't any sensible or rational comparison!!

@WS Admin

Thanks for ‘voicing your struggles’!!! Bravo! Regardless of what the Likes are to anyone else, to you they are triggering. YOU SPOKE OUT!!!

If I can echo the other responses ‘Like’ is a new term that many of on the forum have ‘disliked’. It is the replacement for ‘Thanks’ but it doesn’t transfer as such in word to word synonyms.

Know you are liked and appreciated here, and thanks again for your insight Haven71.

Hi, new here, when I signed up I used my real name (duh) is there any way to change to a nickname?
Send me the name you would like to use and I will change it for you. I used my real name too when I first started checking out the Internet. But alas, I didn't know how to change it. Heck, I barely knew how to log on to anything. LOL. My email is triciastruecrimeradio@gmail.com

@WS Admin

Dear Haven71,
Thank you for writing. Of course the last thing we ever want to do on Websleuths is to trigger someone's bad memories.

As far as the "Like" button it is virtually impossible to change. I will bring this up with our tech guy Dave. We have a call scheduled for tomorrow.

Ditto 2 & 3.

No.3 is my bugbear. The text manually deleted if you decide not to post reappears when you refresh the page, and is still there in the reply box even if you close the page and come back again. There used to be a cancel button.

This is very strange that we do not have this option. Hopefully, it is available to us and was overlooked for some reason. I know what you mean about trying to cancel your post. It seems to stick in that box no matter what. However, I did find a way. Leave the forum, you don't need to sign out just completely leave the forum for a second or two then come back. Your box will be cleared. When I say leave I mean leave the forum by putting another address in the address bar on the page with the post you want to get rid of. This takes you to another site. Then come back to Websleuths and it will be gone. It is a pain in the you know what but until I can look into this it is the best we can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member