Welcome To Websleuths # 2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone been on other forums or platforms that use this software model?
I have although not very often but I did check it out when I began having problems here. The one I've used doesn't have ads and it runs smoothly. They have a place to donate on that site. It also has the likes and trophy points so I think that's just part of the program and not something that Websleuths owner necessarily wanted.

With that said I do understand why ads are necessary.

I mean a different holder forum, not WS. Is that what you meant?
I mean a totally different forum that uses xenForo. No problems like people are having here.

I'm not having any problems here using my PC so I tried my Samsung Galaxy J7 and my Kindle Fire on this site to see if I had the same problems that other members have had.

Negative problems on both mobile devices although I haven't used them much on this site to know if problems are intermittent.

What happens when you browse Private?
I don’t actually what that means. How do I browse private?
Firefox and Safari offer both. Private has the lesser tracking.
CHROME also has private browsing - called "incognito" Browse in private - Computer - Google Chrome Help
I'm on a desktop PC and always open WS in CHROME incognito. Rarely do I have hiccups. If CHROME is problematic (rare), then I use EDGE Private mode.

What happens when you browse Private?
Private mode prevents your browser history and search history from being saved and used to target you with ads. Sites targets you for ads based on what you look up or the sites you visit. I browse private with Firefox when looking things up from here because if I didn't I would have a bunch of gross ads as described above. If I read one MSM article on human trafficking (from CNN, Fox or any major media outlet) without being in private mode suddenly I will get the dating and bra ads and worse. If you are getting disturbing ads try clearing your browser history and cookies then come here without going anywhere else first to see if there is a difference. If you still see the disturbing ads you might have spyware on your system. I don't know much about all this but this is what I have been told by IT people I know.

Private mode prevents your browser history and search history from being saved and used to target you with ads. Sites targets you for ads based on what you look up or the sites you visit. I browse private with Firefox when looking things up from here because if I didn't I would have a bunch of gross ads as described above. If I read one MSM article on human trafficking (from CNN, Fox or any major media outlet) without being in private mode suddenly I will get the dating and bra ads and worse. If you are getting disturbing ads try clearing your browser history and cookies then come here without going anywhere else first to see if there is a difference. If you still see the disturbing ads you might have spyware on your system. I don't know much about all this but this is what I have been told by IT people I know.
I know how to use "private browsing" while using my desktop with Firefox or Chrome.

I have no idea how to do that using Silk on my Fire tablet or the Samsung browser on my phone.

I know how to use "private browsing" while using my desktop with Firefox or Chrome.

I have no idea how to do that using Silk on my Fire tablet or the Samsung browser on my phone.

I don't know either. Have you tried googling it?

I don't know either. Have you tried googling it?

I guess I could but I never use my mobile devices to access Websleuths.

I only did it today to see if I had the same problems, like freezing, that other members have been experiencing.

CHROME also has private browsing - called "incognito" Browse in private - Computer - Google Chrome Help
I'm on a desktop PC and always open WS in CHROME incognito. Rarely do I have hiccups. If CHROME is problematic (rare), then I use EDGE Private mode.
I was initially using Chrome here with Samsung s4 mini and it got to where it was unusable. I now use an browser. I have no issues with Chrome other than WS.

I asked a question, I believe #668 or so about a thread that says I am not authorized. I got no answer but instead answers about ads. Am I in the wrong place?

I asked a question, I believe #668 or so about a thread that says I am not authorized. I got no answer but instead answers about ads. Am I in the wrong place?
Usually that means the thread has been pulled for some reason.

I doubt it was because of anything you did or you would be on "Time Out" right now.

In fact I just downloaded the free version of Ad-Aware by Lavasoft. It finds and deletes Malware that is sometimes dropped on your machine by certain ads. I did that because my Norton detected several high risk unauthorized access attempts. Adaware always finds malware that Norton misses. Usually I use it for a few scans and then uninstall it.
www.adaware.com/

You are in the right place. There were a few others with that question also. So far no one has answered it with a viable solution, unless I missed it...

I'm wanting to change my avatar but keep getting an upload error that the file must be <10kb. When I reduce an image that small with photoshop it's nothing but pixelated mush. Tried taking a screenshot with my phone to upload that way and it's still apparently too large. Does anyone have suggestions?

I'm wanting to change my avatar but keep getting an upload error that the file must be <10kb. When I reduce an image that small with photoshop it's nothing but pixelated mush. Tried taking a screenshot with my phone to upload that way and it's still apparently too large. Does anyone have suggestions?

Try saving it as a jpeg file.

What it amounts to is that font size everywhere has been reduced - Websleuths looks better, but many other sites I frequent are a little too compact. I already have size set at 125%, but adjusting to 150% was ridiculous - everything looked like a second grade textbook. I'll get used to it, I'm sure.

hi

i have been used to a second grade book for years ha!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amarie969