Wesley Hadsell Arrested 21-22 March 2015

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I came to what I thought was a logical conclusion about the phones. The article never stated that directly, so I certainly don't think we can say that it is an established fact that the GPS track from both phones matched the GPS track from the work vehicle. I still think they did, but you're right...it's not an established fact.

Sorry for the confusion.

Actually it IS a logical conclusion, based on the wording. Both the van's location and the phone's matching tracking data were said to be "around the same time AJ was last seen". So, even though the house in Franklin is an hour away from JH's home where AJ was last seen, her phone, Wes' phone and that van all sync.

There are really only 2 options here. Either AJ and her phone were with him in that van, with his phone too, or he left his phone and her phone somewhere else, together. No matter which way you look at it, Wesley Hadsell had Anjelica's phone the day she went missing. No matter which way you look at it, he was at that house the day she disappeared.

He voluntarily gave LE his phone to track the GPS data. This tells me either he left it somewhere with AJ's phone too, so he knew they wouldn't find anything (or so he thought) or he thought he turned GPS off, on both phones.

Of note may be that "the time she was last seen" doesn't seem to be defined. What does LE consider "the last time she was seen" to be? 7:00am by the sisters? 12:30pm by Wes? Driving the truck in the early afternoon as per neighbour? Or something else we aren't privvy to?
"Around the time" is subjective as someone pointed out above: within minutes? Hours?

LE has been wide open about "last seen" even going so far as 4:30/5:30AM on the 3rd. They seemed to finally settle on afternoon/evening of the 2nd. Trying to pin down a certain day or time that the media report may be referencing as "about the time she was last seen" is too big an assumption for me.

It is damning that Wes was at THAT house at all. Period. There is no way to reconcile that with innocent behavior.

Why did it take so long for LE to find that house? Here is my theory: Wes was apparently well aware of the possibility of LE tracking his GPS. He had several work days after AJ disappeared. If any of us saw his GPS records, I have no doubt that it looks like a Family Circus cartoon. So once they located AJs phone, they could narrow down the time period in which both phones were together, they could then isolate Wes route and locate AJ.

Speaking of lying liars who lie, WH first story was that he never saw her that day. Dropped the red truck off, left the key in the mailbox and went on his merry way to work, like the responsible adult he is. Then his next story was "oh yeah, gas station, lunch, stare, no talking, departed my presence around 12:45" and what searchers were looking for as far as her clothing items and what she was known to be last wearing, came directly from WH.

So here's a few random thoughts...

Before Wes admitted he did see her that day (but lied about the lunch meeting), did JH ever tell anyone what AJ was wearing when SHE last saw her? I don't recall ever hearing if she did. I also don't recall seeing that on the MPR, and it certainly should have been there. I mean, your kid is missing - what was she wearing the last time you saw her - should be a standard question on the report, right?

Second, if AJ was last seen (by Wes) wearing the very same jacket that ended up in CF's couch cushion 4 days later, the ONLY way it could have got there, was through WH. I know I'm stating the obvious but you have to wonder if he was planning all along on pinning this nightmare on CF, or he just jumped at the first opportunity once CF's name was brought up.

Too bad one of the guards can't "accidentally" slip and as they try to break their fall, "accidentally" inject WH with some truth serum and then have an investigator discuss things with WH to you know, make sure he's okay, and hasn't forgotten to tell LE anything.

BBM

Then he actually lied 3 times about when he saw her that day. First he said he never saw her, then he said he saw her at the house that morning, then he said he met her at a gas station near the house around noon.

Of note may be that "the time she was last seen" doesn't seem to be defined. What does LE consider "the last time she was seen" to be? 7:00am by the sisters? 12:30pm by Wes? Driving the truck in the early afternoon as per neighbour? Or something else we aren't privvy to?
"Around the time" is subjective as someone pointed out above: within minutes? Hours?

Regardless of which exact day "last seen" refers to, his work van was tracked to that house around a month before her body was discovered at the house. How the hell does a defense attorney explain THAT? And how does a defense attorney argue that his client didn't lie when he said he'd never been to that house, and didn't even know where it was in relation to his work? Did someone steal his work vehicle or something, without him noticing? C'mon.

LE has been wide open about "last seen" even going so far as 4:30/5:30AM on the 3rd. They seemed to finally settle on afternoon/evening of the 2nd. Trying to pin down a certain day or time that the media report may be referencing as "about the time she was last seen" is too big an assumption for me.

It is damning that Wes was at THAT house at all. Period. There is no way to reconcile that with innocent behavior.

Why did it take so long for LE to find that house? Here is my theory: Wes was apparently well aware of the possibility of LE tracking his GPS. He had several work days after AJ disappeared. If any of us saw his GPS records, I have no doubt that it looks like a Family Circus cartoon. So once they located AJs phone, they could narrow down the time period in which both phones were together, they could then isolate Wes route and locate AJ.

That's part of the reason I suspect that the gps data from her phone and his phone both matched the gps data from the van. Assuming her phone was retrieved from the pond around April 3-4, it would have had to have been dried out and data extracted. AJ's body was located on April 9th or 10th, so that would have been fairly quickly after finding her phone (assuming that they did find it, which I think is a given.) So, my assumption is that both the gps from his phone and her phone were tracked, and it matched the gps data retrieved from the van. Follow the GPS on all 3 and VOILA! Franklin house.

All speculation on my part, mind you. But it's based on simple logic.

Excellent point. I'm going to assume though, they're (LE) going by the last seen time of 7am.

Reasons:

1. the 7am sighting is what is noted on the missing persons report and the last known credible sighting (both mom and sisters saw her before leaving)
2. WH claim of seeing her at lunch that day was investigated and found to be not credible since no video evidence shows either of them at the location he stated they were at - LE would have ruled that time frame out (and they also know, based on his work truck GPS exactly where he was, and wasn't on that day - "wasn't" would be at the gas station he claimed to be at having lunch with AJ)
3. The eye-witness sightings in the afternoon can't be verified and are likely not considered credible by LE (not a fact, just speculating)
4. WH was at JH's house that morning dropping off the red truck and then his GPS data tracks him on Smiths Ferry Rd heading south "around the same time AJ was last seen"

For me, all of those point to the 7am sighting by JH and AJ's sisters.

Actually it IS a logical conclusion, based on the wording. Both the van's location and the phone's matching tracking data were said to be "around the same time AJ was last seen". So, even though the house in Franklin is an hour away from JH's home where AJ was last seen, her phone, Wes' phone and that van all sync.

There are really only 2 options here. Either AJ and her phone were with him in that van, with his phone too, or he left his phone and her phone somewhere else, together. No matter which way you look at it, Wesley Hadsell had Anjelica's phone the day she went missing. No matter which way you look at it, he was at that house the day she disappeared.

He voluntarily gave LE his phone to track the GPS data. This tells me either he left it somewhere with AJ's phone too, so he knew they wouldn't find anything (or so he thought) or he thought he turned GPS off, on both phones.

I'm not convinced that he "voluntarily" gave LE anything. I think when LE brought him in for questioning, they already had a warrant for his phone. JMO

That's part of the reason I suspect that the gps data from her phone and his phone both matched the gps data from the van. Assuming her phone was retrieved from the pond around April 3-4, it would have had to have been dried out and data extracted. AJ's body was located on April 9th or 10th, so that would have been fairly quickly after finding her phone (assuming that they did find it, which I think is a given.) So, my assumption is that both the gps from his phone and her phone were tracked, and it matched the gps data retrieved from the van. Follow the GPS on all 3 and VOILA! Franklin house.

All speculation on my part, mind you. But it's based on simple logic.

I love your last sentence about simple logic, thank you. I agree. It's data; it's cold hard math. Simple.

The problem with this case isn't that LE are lacking evidence against Hadsell, the problem is that they haven't been able to prove that he murdered AJ. They seem to be focusing on an abduction scenario, because THAT proves intent. But if they fail in that, what do they have really? To me, it seems the only thing that can be proven is that WH dumped AJ's body at the house in Franklin and that he had her phone. Let's assume for a moment that AJ did go with Wes willingly, and that they did heroin together, and that she accidentally OD'ed. Wes could be found guilty of desecration of a body, obstructing a police investigation, and a host of other things, but without manner of death, how do you successfully prove a murder case against him?

ETA: On the other hand...I've said it before and I'll say it again, you don't haul a simple overdose victim an hour away from where they OD'ed. And you don't risk getting caught riding around with an overdose victim in your vehicle, or hiding them at an abandoned home. You don't break into someone's home and plant evidence to incriminate them in a case where someone just accidentally overdoses. I think WH went to all that trouble because he needed her body to decompose long enough to destroy the evidence of what really happened to her. But, how to prove that is another matter entirely. :(

The problem with this case isn't that LE are lacking evidence against Hadsell, the problem is that they haven't been able to prove that he murdered AJ. They seem to be focusing on an abduction scenario, because THAT proves intent. But if they fail in that, what do they have really? To me, it seems the only thing that can be proven is that WH dumped AJ's body at the house in Franklin and that he had her phone. Let's assume for a moment that AJ did go with Wes willingly, and that they did heroin together, and that she accidentally OD'ed. Wes could be found guilty of desecration of a body, obstructing a police investigation, and a host of other things, but without manner of death, how do you successfully prove a murder case against him?

Great post! I'm mulling over your final question ... So how DO you prove it? The only thing I can think of as a possibility: AJ's body (I hate typing that) may tell them something, then again, it may not. No info is available to us on this. Defensive wounds? Method of delivery of the heroin into her system? Something else?

Great post! I'm mulling over your final question ... So how DO you prove it? The only thing I can think of as a possibility: AJ's body (I hate typing that) may tell them something, then again, it may not. No info is available to us on this. Defensive wounds? Method of delivery of the heroin into her system? Something else?

If the ME had been able to find any of those things, I doubt the manner of death would be listed as undetermined. Unfortunately, when you go to the trouble of hiding a body long enough for decomp (and animal predation) to take over there's usually a huge pay-off for the person who put the body there. :(

ETA: On the other hand...I've said it before and I'll say it again, you don't haul a simple overdose victim an hour away from where they OD'ed. And you don't risk getting caught riding around with an overdose victim in your vehicle, or hiding them at an abandoned home. You don't break into someone's home and plant evidence to incriminate them in a case where someone just accidentally overdoses. I think WH went to all that trouble because he needed her body to decompose long enough to destroy the evidence of what really happened to her. But, how to prove that is another matter entirely. :(

I think you've given enough circumstantial evidence to convict. He's not going to be well received by any jury. It would also put the defense into the difficult position of having to explain everything which seems they'd have to admit to a variety of other crimes.

Are we able to tell from what info we have if AJ's phone went to the house? The two phones were together until they were not. I'm wondering when was the point in this sequence of events where the two phones were no longer together....

Are we able to tell from what info we have if AJ's phone went to the house? The two phones were together until they were not. I'm wondering when was the point in this sequence of events where the two phones were no longer together....

Well, there's this.

http://wavy.com/2015/04/03/police-investigating-in-iow-in-anjelica-hadsell-disappearance/

One resident said police told him Hadsell’s cell phone sent a signal to the area March 3 at 8 a.m.

But it's about clear as mud whether that means her phone sent a signal from the pond itself, or just the area. And does nothing to enlighten us as to whether or not WH's phone also pinged from this area.

We do know that Mr. Hines said he saw the Quality Plumbing van slow down at the Pond and turn around about a week and a half prior to the pond search, which would put it there about the same time the clothes on S Battlefield were discovered. Does that mean WH ditched AJ's phone at the pond around March 3, and then went back to the pond for some reason? Or does it mean he didn't ditch her phone in the pond until some time around the 19th when WH and crew "discovered" AJ's clothes in Chesapeake?

Your guess is as good as mine at this point.

Now that we know their phones were together before AJ was ever reported missing, it makes this even more curious:

Norfolk police spent eight hours Friday combing through a residential pond, after receiving a tip in regards to Anjelica “AJ” Hadsell, who has been missing since March 2. A dive team with the Norfolk Police Department could be seen coming in and out of the man-made pond all day at the intersection of Joyners Bridge Road and Rt. 258 in Isle of Wight.

This article was posted on April 3rd. I suspect the "tip" was from her cell phone provider records showing ping locations.

Hines, along with three neighbors, told 10 On Your Side detectives told them they were in the area searching for Hadsell’s cell phone. One resident said police told him Hadsell’s cell phone sent a signal to the area March 3 at 8 a.m.

Of course it did, because that's where WH left it, the day after he abducted AJ. It would sure be good to know if his work van GPS tracks on the same road, the same day, same time. I'm guessing it does. Her phone pinged there on March 3rd at 8am. She wasn't even reported missing, until that night at 9:15. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ocs-**NO-DISCUSSION**&p=11716582#post11716582 Keeping in mind once again, new information from LE says their phones were together before AJ was ever reported as missing. (Let's not forget the mystery texts that came from AJ's phone on the Monday and later, claiming she was with friends, wasn't ready to come home, etc. emoji, blah blah. WH had her phone all day Monday & Monday night)

Hines said detectives showed him a picture of a white truck belonging to Quality Plumbing. Hines said he distinctly remembers seeing the truck driving slowly down Joyners Bridge Road, but not stopping. “She asked me if I had seen that van in the area lately, and I told her that probably within the last week and a half to two weeks, I’ve seen it come down this road and go back out,” Hines said.

A week and a half to two weeks prior to this article being published on Friday April 3rd would have been between March 20th and the 25th, and WH was already in jail. Obviously he wasn't out there at that time, but we do know he was out there, so clearly this witness had the dates wrong (unless it was another employee using a company van, working at the same site WH was working at before he got carted off to jail for being a creep)

http://wavy.com/2015/04/03/police-investigating-in-iow-in-anjelica-hadsell-disappearance/

They wrapped that search up that day and 6 days later (all they needed to do is let the SIM card dry [silica gel packets & 72 hours or 3 days] - that's where the GPS data is stored on the phone) they drive straight to the house in Franklin and find her.

More than likely when he went back out to Franklin the next day, he tossed the phone into the pond on his way to work.

Fantastic post.

ETA - I'm referring to OMom's summarization of phones, times and GPS trail.

That said, both OMom and MKat are both right on point today. Thanks for your posts, greatly appreciated.

Now that we know their phones were together before AJ was ever reported missing, it makes this even more curious:

This article was posted on April 3rd. I suspect the "tip" was from her cell phone provider records showing ping locations.

Of course it did, because that's where WH left it, the day after he abducted AJ. It would sure be good to know if his work van GPS tracks on the same road, the same day, same time. I'm guessing it does. Her phone pinged there on March 3rd at 8am. She wasn't even reported missing, until that night at 9:15. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ocs-**NO-DISCUSSION**&p=11716582#post11716582 Keeping in mind once again, new information from LE says their phones were together before AJ was ever reported as missing.

A week and a half to two weeks prior to this article being published on Friday April 3rd would have been between March 20th and the 25th, and WH was already in jail. Obviously he wasn't out there at that time, but we do know he was out there, so clearly this witness had the dates wrong (unless it was another employee using a company van, working at the same site WH was working at before he got carted off to jail for being a creep)

They wrapped that search up that day and 6 days later (all they needed to do is let the SIM card dry [silica gel packets & 72 hours or 3 days] - that's where the GPS data is stored on the phone) they drive straight to the house in Franklin and find her.

Excellent points. So back to the phones being together. According to WH, LE told him they had AJ's phone pinging in his hotel room, on the bed right next to him. Let's assume that no one is lying for a moment, and that LE did, in fact, trace her cell phone pings to his hotel room at some point. The phone obviously left the hotel room on March 3, because it pinged at the pond at 8am on the morning of March 3. So, if LE did in fact retrieve her phone from the pond search (which I believe they did), then the phone must have been ditched in the pond the day after she was reported missing. If LE gathered GPS from both AJ's phone and Wes' phone, and that tracking put both phones together at the same time and same place, this had to have occurred prior to AJ's phone being tossed in the pond. So...they were together in the damned work van at some point, yes? Sometime between March 2 and March 3.

ETA: Unless, of course, WH didn't ditch the phone until some time around March 19 when he was spotted by the pond witness. In which case, I guess the phones could have been tracked together at any point from March 2 to March 19. But I find this highly unlikely. I don't think he would hold on to her phone for that long. JMO

Wait, did I miss something? The report says the data from the phones matched, and the van's data shows him being on that road & at that house - but it didn't say the phone's data also matched the van's data, did it?

Checking the article again it says "investigators were able to see that Hadsell’s cell phone, and AJ’s cell phone were together around the time she was last seen. The sources would not be more specific."

Hmm... okay phones were together "around the time she was last seen" and van was on Smiths Ferry & at the house "around the time she was last seen".

I'm just wondering if they are wording that article from the time she was last seen going off of who's information? Are they going by JH's information or are they actually going by the time WH said HE last saw her which was at the gas station (even though there's no proof of that). So it's possible they are matching his phone and her phone's being together around 12:10pm when they supposedly met at the gas station.

Excellent points. So back to the phones being together. According to WH, LE told him they had AJ's phone pinging in his hotel room, on the bed right next to him. Let's assume that no one is lying for a moment, and that LE did, in fact, trace her cell phone pings to his hotel room at some point. The phone obviously left the hotel room on March 3, because it pinged at the pond at 8am on the morning of March 3. So, if LE did in fact retrieve her phone from the pond search (which I believe they did), then the phone must have been ditched in the pond the day after she was reported missing. If LE gathered GPS from both AJ's phone and Wes' phone, and that tracking put both phones together at the same time and same place, this had to have occurred prior to AJ's phone being tossed in the pond. So...they were together in the damned work van at some point, yes? Sometime between March 2 and March 3.

I suspect, considering the LE suggested her phone was at his motel, that's where he took it at the end of the day on Monday. Remember it was around 2:30 Monday when her sister got the text from AJ's phone saying "out with friends". I believe that was WH. WH has said that both him and JH received texts from AJ's phone the next morning (Tuesday, March 3rd) around 5:30am. I believe that was also WH, texting JH and texting his own phone, with AJ's phone. I'm going to assume at this point, AJ was already at the house in Franklin.

Why would WH be up at 5:30am? Well, he did have an hour's drive (1 hour and 8 minutes via US-58 W to be precise, according to google maps from his motel to the house in Franklin) to go to work so... he gets up, uses her phone to text JH and himself, hops in the shower and is out the door by 6-6:30 and out in Franklin by 7:00-7:30. Not sure what time his boss expected him to clock in, but it wouldn't be too difficult to swing by that pond, toss AJ's phone out the window and into the water, and keep going to wherever the jobsite was. The only problem is, for WH, is that her phone pinged off a tower in that very area, before he tossed it into the pond.

I also don't think he held on to that phone after the 3rd, even though he IS the one who told LE her phone "sent a signal" from Northside Park on Tidewater Drive on either Thursday or Friday, March 12/13 http://wavy.com/2015/03/13/is-anjelica-hadsell-in-danger/ (other articles reference LE searching the park around midnight based on a "tip" but found nothing).

Now how would he know where her phone was pinging, unless he or someone else already had access to her cell phone records? Either he was flat out lying and it was a wild goose chase, or someone accessed her records and it did actually ping there (because that's where he hid it). I'm guessing he was flat out lying, and the phone was in the pond the entire time, until recovered on April 3rd.

It's actually quite an eye opener, knowing what we know now about the phones and the work van GPS, to go back and read some of these articles, and see Hero Wes in the pics of the searches. Knowing, all along, he was lying through his nasty teeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forensicsdropout