West Valley police chief opens up about Susan Powell investigation

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have not been following this case but to me he looks and sounds as if he is terrified as to what his boys will say when not in his presence. jmo

I think that he is terrified because his boy's have already talked about things while they were with him which he wishes they wouldn't talk about to anyone. Those children have probably heard many conversations between Josh and his family. Josh is not simply afraid of things they might remember about Susan. He is afraid of what they know about the lies and cover-up that has been going on ever since she disappeared. JMO :twocents:

I agree.. They must know a lot more than they lead on. Taking the kids was a way to prevent him from fleeing, or holding them hostage when the time comes to arrest him. I'm anxiously awaiting when they find out exactly what happened to Susan- and it should be a very interesting Dateline Mystery (which will need to be broken up into 4- 2 hour blocks due to all the weird twists in this case).

It's difficult to take a step back and look at things completely differently than what you want to believe. My gut feeling is that Steve told Josh lies that Susan slept with him, and convinced him to drug her- so Steve could drive out and do what ever he needed to do. The wet spot of course was most likely vomit. Hopefully they have traces of a drug/poison in that sampling. So when Josh says "I didn't kill her", or to Peterson "It's not like I stabbed her", in his mind he's telling the truth. Also when he mentioned he was "in over his head" that to me points that Steven meant to drug her, have his way and do God knows what- however not kill Susan.. Josh was "brainwashed" and didn't mean for her to die through Steve's scheme. My other thought is that Steve hired some people to do the dirty work, after Josh spiked her pancakes.

Or.. The Peterson neighbor pulled something, that's why he was so outspoken right away- trying to divert the attention away from himself. The midnight camping trip still doesn't add up in this scenario however.

When I first saw this story on CNN, I thought to myself "How can such a dweeb land such a pretty woman".

Interesting Dateline mystery? Who cares if it makes Dateline, as long as it get to trial.

In all your theories other than the Peterson one, it still leads to JP having knowledge, JP having a part in it and thus JP having guilt IMO. Because drugging her is a crime, and drugging her in order to commit another crime he has guilt, and when one crime is committed in collusion with others that is called conspiracy. Conspiracy means that both carry guilt. And did you know that a person is killed in the commission of a crime, it is still murder whether it was intended or not? And all persons involved in the original crime can be held even if they weren't actually present at the time. As an example two bank robbers enter a bank and during the robbery one robber drops his gun and a person is shot and killed. Not only would the two robbers be arrested for robbery and murder, but the person who waited outside to drive them away would also be arrested for the same crimes.

The Peterson theory kinda blows me away. We haven't seen anything that would point at that. No talk about him being fascinated with her, no talk that his whereabouts were in question for that night. No indication as to how he would know that JP was leaving that night. So that one is kinda out there hanging without support.

I'm setting the tone for people to think. What if scenarios. No I don't know Josh, nor anyone related to that family. There are no hidden/cryptic meanings.

Then how did you know what was in the posted picture was a Halloween decoration and how it was to be used? Or that the other noose was in the basement and not part of the exercise equipment?

This story has caught my attention from the start. From the sounds of it- (upon one of many articles I came across); it seems Susan wore the financial pants.

Do you have a link for that? Because all the info I have seen to this point was that JP wore the financial pants. He allegedly decided that they would eat veggies out of the garden and not buy meat. He allegedly controlled the bank account. He allegedly made the decision that Susan would ride a bike rather than drive a car. From everything I have seen, she earned it but he controlled it.

And of course Josh stating she had unresolved issues psychologically speaking.

Yeah, about that. Did you know that is a statement that I have seen used often in other cases? And usually it is coming from people that are later convicted of DV. His only "proof" of that seems to be personal high school journals. And I don't know if you are aware, but high schoolers frequently have little problems with stability because of hormones, increasing responsibility and learning experiences. Not conclusive proof that she was unstable. Also she didn't live in a vacuum. She had friends, coworkers, and church members that she interacted with frequently. And there has been no indication from any of them that she seemed unstable. And instability is something that is almost impossible to hide.

He (Josh) did state she walked outside in her underwear, became deranged at one point, etc.

Yeah. Josh said. So he saw it and no one else in the neighborhood did? Now I'm not saying it didn't happen. But I am suspicious of what she may have been running from if it did happen.

Do I think that is true? I don't know. However just reading articles I can't come to any solid conclusion based on "he says, she says". The dynamics within that family from media reports sounds anything but normal. As far as the bicycle to work, car, etc.. I don't recall seeing that. I do remember articles pertaining to him attempting to control her finances.

A interesting point is people coming out stating that Josh is a non-stop chatterbox, and now he seems quite the opposite. If he was that opinionated, pretentious, boisterous what-have-you; that is telling in itself. Looking at his interviews now, I see a lost and upset husband.

What I see is someone who is trying to portray a grieving husband. But somehow he always misses the mark just a little. When Susan is mentioned, usually immediately after he talks about his boys. And it is never our boys. He says he loves her, but never says he misses her. He talks about what a good father he is and how he gives the boys everything they need. He doesn't seem to notice that they miss their mother, may need a maternal influence. I do notice he looks down a lot, with his jaw clenched. More like someone who doesn't want to show his anger rather than someone who is grieving.

I'd probably act like him if I were in his situation with the media hounding me, and fingers pointed in my direction. However I'd talk to police regardless of being a suspect, of course with an attorney.

LOL that is probably the biggest problem. If I had someone I loved missing, LE would probably be arresting me for trespassing because they couldn't get me to leave the police station to go home and sleep. Not talking to LE? To me that is a very strong indicator that he has something to hide. LE accusing him? I hate to tell him, but when someone goes missing or dies violently everyone close to that person is the first under suspicion. And when they really want LE to find out what happened, they continue talking to LE.

Comments in red are my responses

As far as I can see JP has to be involved. I may not know if anyone else was involved, but JP has to be. He left the home at midnight with an approaching snow storm. On a Sunday night. With two young children. Now first of all I can't see any living mother allowing that to happen. But second, his reasoning for that was weak. He wanted to make smores? He wanted to test a generator? (with two small children along, in a snowstorm, he wanted to rely on it for the first time???) He wanted to camp in the snow? (most people wait till after the storm and see how the roads will be.)

ransack, Imo, the neighbors were only concerned with Susan's well being....as well as trying to be a good friend to Josh. Sometimes there are things that are to blatant to ignore, tho. Especially when many people voice the same concerns and I have no doubt that LE has those E-mails to Susan's friends and her journal from work.

I agree that SP is very possibly a POI in Susan's disappearance. But I am wondering if you have any opinion about A possibly being involved? Let's face it...there is a POSSIBILITY that A has been groomed from a very young age as she is very loyal to SP. I DO wonder if she knew about SP's obsession with Susan and felt her position as matriarch of the Powell compound was threatened. As a possible subservient keeper of the household there is no telling what she saw or knew or was told by SP. Thanks for your insight as you seem to know alot about the P family.

Just trying to think outside the box....however, I feel I am reaching a bit here as Josh's story is ludricrous, IMO so he is my #1 suspect in Susan's disappearance at this time.

wm

wm

Interesting idea about A. I hadn't considered her. She is a 'little' sister isn't she? Probably looks up to her big brother. And we only know who JP spent all that time talking to because of what JP allegedly told Susan. He could have been talking to anyone. One of the brothers or the sister. And if one of them took off to help JP, the others could alibi them. Still out driving in all that snow must have been tough. I wonder if any of the neighbors saw them coming in early that AM.

<modsnip>

Regarding donations, it appears these may have been coming to WVC PD through the website http://susancoxpowellfoundation.org/Donations.aspx

It would seem this could have been done by now? Is this correct? Maybe the website hasn't been updated that it is an IRS approved non profit foundation.

Thanks. This is unfamiliar territory for me and I am just trying to understand these donations a bit better.

Trying to catch up from today, but I will add a few comments about the donations. While I personally have no problems with donations flowing through the Foundation to WVC PD, we need to keep in mind that WVC PD is a governmental entity. As an auditor, I might at least ask the question of the validity of them accepting donations from a private foundation and how that all came about. If they are keeping track of it in a separate fund, might be ok.

It would all depend on Utah's laws about this, maybe it's not a problem in Utah, but in NC, yeah, it might.

Also, depending on the sunshine laws in Utah, those donations may very well be public record since they went to a governmental entity, if someone pushed for them.

IMO

Interesting idea about A <mod snip>. I hadn't considered her. She is a 'little' sister isn't she? Probably looks up to her big brother. And we only know who JP spent all that time talking to because of what JP allegedly told Susan. He could have been talking to anyone. One of the brothers or the sister. And if one of them took off to help JP, the others could alibi them. Still out driving in all that snow must have been tough. I wonder if any of the neighbors saw them coming in early that AM.

Good idea to sleuth out the others.

Yes she is JP's younger sister, AFIK. Considering the news reports which indicate that SP drove a wedge between Susan and Josh's marriage, I cannot discount the possibility of the puppeteer (SP) stirring the pot amongst other family members. Divide and conquer mentality from a control freak. I wonder if Alina has a garden to tend in the back yard of SP's compound? With SP's meager salary supporting 5 adults and 2 growing kids, I would not be at all surprised. That would be telling, wouldn't it? ...In light of Susan's friends reporting that she had to grow a garden to feed the kids and they got diarhirra from eating so much fruits and veggies.

A's <mod snip> silence and support of SP very much reminds me of Warren Jeffs' subservient female followers.

MOO

wm

No, it didn't. Nothing you say gets anyone "thinking", I assure you. <mod snip>

LOL I actually have to give him credit. I was a little on the fence as to whether it was JP or SP. I was leaning toward JP though. But after his little thinking exercises I now believe JP was in it up to his eyeballs. IMO there is no way it could have happened without JP. And since LE is saying that SP has an alibi, that leaves JP as the strongest candidate. With the weather that night being snowy and the distances involved, I can't really see any of the other P's making it there in time to do the deed.
Others may have helped with the planning. But we really won't know which of them it was until we get the phone records.

Just trying to think outside the box....however, I feel I am reaching a bit here as Josh's story is ludricrous, IMO so he is my #1 suspect in Susan's disappearance at this time.

wm

wm

Yes, it's possible.. They need to interview everyone in that household if possible.

The powell family reminds me of the strange neighbors in the Burbs.. Specifically Josh being the son "Hans".. He actually looks like him:

http://www.jonathanrosenbaum.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/theburbs.jpg

...In light of Susan's friends reporting that she had to grow a garden to feed the kids and they got diarhirra from eating so much fruits and veggies.

wm[/QUOTE]

I've seen this comment before and it has puzzled me.....I'm kind of a health nut and frequently juice my own organic fruits and veggies and drink 24oz + at a time, sometimes 2x per day and I have never had diarhirra from it, so I have to wonder about the level of truth to that.... so, would JP ever have tried to poisen his boys too? ...or did he try to poisen SP a few times and acciently gave some to the boys which made them sick and blamed it on teh fruit and veggies??? any thoughts...

It is my opinion that this is someone who knows Josh and is very close to him trying to use psychology on us old-timers. We've been here too long. I was giving the theories consideration until the reference to "Peterson". There are too many give a ways. When one has an agenda eventually it comes out no matter how objective they try to convince us they are because it's hard to maintain a fascade without a lot of experience.

This sounds an awful lot like someone I called out on Topix once a long time ago and they then disappeared.

Wonder where his sister and brother are ??? Maybe this is one of Josh's multiple personalities talking to us ? I suspect some people sign out and then read from the lurking position so we dont expect an answer when we see their green light's off.

It's going to take a lot more than this to convince me it's not Josh or one of his family members. The word "goofy" also was interesting.

Trying to catch up from today, but I will add a few comments about the donations. While I personally have no problems with donations flowing through the Foundation to WVC PD, we need to keep in mind that WVC PD is a governmental entity. As an auditor, I might at least ask the question of the validity of them accepting donations from a private foundation and how that all came about. If they are keeping track of it in a separate fund, might be ok.

It would all depend on Utah's laws about this, maybe it's not a problem in Utah, but in NC, yeah, it might.

Also, depending on the sunshine laws in Utah, those donations may very well be public record since they went to a governmental entity, if someone pushed for them.

IMO

Agreed. I don't think they're flowing through Susan's foundation, however. The way I read it (and I may be wrong here) was that private donors will pay the expenses on Josh's behalf, so the money would never touch WVCPD or the foundation.

Agreed. I don't think they're flowing through Susan's foundation, however. The way I read it (and I may be wrong here) was that private donors will pay the expenses on Josh's behalf, so the money would never touch WVCPD or the foundation.

There was a quote by the Cheif as well.

Nielsen roughly estimated the department has spent about $500,000 on the case. But through donations and other means — in addition to the tremendous cooperation from law enforcement agencies both in Utah and Washington — he said it has all worked out.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=17426938

I've seen this comment before and it has puzzled me.....I'm kind of a health nut and frequently juice my own organic fruits and veggies and drink 24oz + at a time, sometimes 2x per day and I have never had diarhirra from it, so I have to wonder about the level of truth to that.... so, would JP ever have tried to poisen his boys too? ...or did he try to poisen SP a few times and acciently gave some to the boys which made them sick and blamed it on teh fruit and veggies??? any thoughts...

This is what I have been thinking. Josh controls the money. He tells Susan how much she can spend on food and where she has to go to get it. She buys cheap stuff like macaroni and cheese and potatoes and pasta and lots of filling carbs. (Josh is probably a spoiled, picky eater too, and won't go out of his comfort zone.) She is not allowed to spend money on more expensive fruits and veggies because they are out of season and Josh probably doesn't like them anyway. Then comes summer and all of the sudden they have lots and lots of zucchini and tomatoes and cucumbers, etc. from the garden and fresh fruit from their trees. Josh says, "Hey, plenty of food there. Make it work. You now have $___ to buy eggs, milk, and bread. That's it." So suddenly the majority of the boy's diet is fresh food that they are not accustomed to. That will certainly confuse the digestive system and throw it for a loop--all that wonderful fiber when you are not used to it. I am sure the tummy trouble would have been temporary, but I know it can happen that way. Just my theory. But you know what? The poisoning works too.

It is my opinion that this is someone who knows Josh and is very close to him trying to use psychology on us old-timers. We've been here too long. I was giving the theories consideration until the reference to "Peterson". There are too many give a ways. When one has an agenda eventually it comes out no matter how objective they try to convince us they are because it's hard to maintain a fascade without a lot of experience.

This sounds an awful lot like someone I called out on Topix once a long time ago and they then disappeared.

Wonder where his sister and brother are ??? Maybe this is one of Josh's multiple personalities talking to us ? I suspect some people sign out and then read from the lurking position so we dont expect an answer when we see their green light's off.

It's going to take a lot more than this to convince me it's not Josh or one of his family members. The word "goofy" also was interesting.

LOL TB I welcome the exercises. I was on the fence and leaning a little till he came along. Now he has me totally convinced. JP did it. In refuting his arguments, I now realize that there is no other way it could have happened. Including no way for suicide. Others may have helped with the planning, but JP in my opinion is the one who did the dirty.

...In light of Susan's friends reporting that she had to grow a garden to feed the kids and they got diarhirra from eating so much fruits and veggies.

wm

I think it has to do with their age. I know my DGS is 17 months. If he gets constipated we give him juice. Too much juice and he can get loose stools. Their youngest was about 2 or under at that right? So if his primary source of food was fruits/veggies/milk and juice I can see loose or even diarrhea stools.,

I need to go back and read more. They are paying on Josh's behalf? Really? Maybe we aren't talking about the same thing...idk.

IMo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
australianwebsleuth
Back