What do you make of Terri never speaking to the media?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize shes lawyered up and isn't speaking a peep now but I would hope LE would require her to come to the station, with lawyer, and answer some freaking questions or something.

SBM

How would LE do that, exactly?

She's not under arrest, so she has no legal obligation to speak to LE at all. Even if she is arrested, LE cannot force her to speak without her attorney, if she requests his presence.

The fifth amendment to the constitution says:

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

That one sentence is what makes it illegal for police to torture suspects. It also means that no one can be compelled to go to the police station to be interviewed.

I appreciate some of the points of this video but have to consider this...

I call 9-1-1 (recorded), is this LE? It certainly is recorded and the recordings can be used in court, right?

"Hello, my 7 year old son is missing"

9-1-1 asks me when he went missing. I say, "I can't talk until my attorney comes here...he'll be here in 5 hours. Should I call you when he gets here?"

OR...maybe I do let myself talk to 9-1-1. The police arrive. They ask me, "When did you last see your son" and "what was he wearing?" I say, "Sorry, I can't tell you until my attorney arrives. But I don't have an attorney yet -- in fact, I can't afford to hire one at $300 bucks an hour, so ... never mind officer, I've been advised to not talk to police -- not talk period. Never mind...we'll just let my missing son see if he can find his way home."

I understand that there are certain important points to that video, but if none of us should talk to police without an attorney, well then there is a BIG problem. I'm sure attorneys would like us to think that we should never talk to the police without one of them alongside us, but there is faulty reasoning here. Or have I missed something?

I don't think Professor Dugan was talking about the reporting of an incident or possible crime, he was talking about the shift where it turns from the circumstances to what the reporter was doing.

In this case, I believe the wise thing to do would be to report the facts as known: Kyron was thought to be at school all day and was then discovered to be missing; he was wearing XYZ, he has glasses, here's a good picture of him, etc. Keep the focus on Kyron.

Beyond the point at which TMH last saw Kyron, say nothing. That point would be when LE asks "and what did you do after you dropped Kyron off?" That is when she should have called a lawyer. Beyond that last point of contact, nothing TMH can say will help the investigation and may well be used to incriminate her.

Yes, it will probably make LE suspect you, big time. That's fine, suspicion never won a case in court.

I am really and truly serious when I say that if I disappear, I have told my husband that the first call should be to 911 and the second call to a good lawyer.

I'm probably biased because I grew up during the 60s and got a good look at government corruption in my formative years. I have faith in LE and their powers of investigation.

But as Ronald Reagan said, "trust but verify." Trust, but don't feed LE potentially incriminating information.

I'm not sure I'll be doing my missing child any favors if I make the police fixate on me because I won't tell them where I was that day. They'll waste an enormous amount of time they could be looking for my child trying to find out my whereabouts and looking twice as hard for any incriminating stuff about me, and when someone tells them where I was, searching for my child in my footsteps instead of where he really is.

http://twitter.com/JoelIwanagaKOIN

is back in the newsroom after asking Terri Horman questions face to face (and NOT in the parking garage of her attorney!) Her response at 11

will probably be nothing but thought I would post

http://twitter.com/JoelIwanagaKOIN

is back in the newsroom after asking Terri Horman questions face to face (and NOT in the parking garage of her attorney!) Her response at 11

will probably be nothing but thought I would post

I saw that as well.
Wonder if he was trying to talk to her while she was driving out?
I cannot imagine her saying a word but I am going to wait up so I can watch it online.
It would be great if she would say something.

jmho

whole lotta nothing if you follow the other tweets back and forth :(

Ugh sorry I did not see that...bunch of sensationalism bullcrap

Sorry folks

whole lotta nothing if you follow the other tweets back and forth :(

I don't know how to do that... but I take it he DIDN'T interview Terri? I can't imagine her attorney being ok with that, and I imagine she's trying to be extra good after that whole sexting fiasco (IMO, Houze told her that was her last chance before he dumped her).

Was that the guy yelling after the departing car?

(j/k, but not really!)

Oh. My. God.

LOL

"We asked her some tough questions !"

Yeah. At a car with all 4 windows rolled up.

What a joke. That was strictly for the benefit of the "reporter".
You aren't kidding. What a joke. They are pathetic. IMO

They did say that Kaine was at the grand jury for a second day. I didn't know that.

They might as well have said "nose to nose" -- it would be just as accurate as "face to face" turned out to be.

Maybe they cut the part where the "reporter" flung herself onto the hood of the car and plastered her face against the windshield.

The comments are funny. I did not see the video, but am not surprised to find out it was a whole lot of nothing. Why would Terri start talking all of a sudden now?

What was really amazing was how anyone can just drive away and not answer Where is Kyron? Des was right, ice water in the veins.

You aren't kidding. What a joke. They are pathetic. IMO

They did say that Kaine was at the grand jury for a second day. I didn't know that.

I didn't know that either, until Wed morning. I've been living on here, so I dont know how we all missed it.

:waitasec:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member