Votes: 14 3.5%
  • F

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • not sure

Votes: 9 2.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to give the Judge an F! He has been to easy from the beginning, allowing informal dress, gum chewing, outbursts, and many more things against court room rules. Those rules should have been upheld from the start, not just during the trial. The other problem I have with this Judge is; when one of the lawyer asked if they were going to have lunches catered, the Judge stated that he worked for so, and so. He than had to be sure to state with an ugly look on his face, that they had to take a 3% cut in pay (boohoo). Than this Judge goes on to ask each potential juror, IF THEY HAVE VACATION TIME they can use to serve on this jury. Really Judge, you make a huge salery, have a problem with taking a pay cut, but expect the average person who is barely making it in these times, to use all their vacation time for Casey Anthony. This Judge deserves an F just for his attitude towards those beneath him. JMO

I disagree completely.

First, the DT jokingly asked him to buy lunch, and he jokingly said no, and mentioned the paycut. It would be improper for him to go to lunch with them. I did not see anything serious there at all. They were all joking.

He was also VERY concerned about people going into their savings, or any other hardship. Yes, there were people WILLING to use vacation (to get on the jury IMO), and he DID NOT want them to do that.

As for the rules, it is different when there is no jury present. Once there is a jury in that court room, everything will change.

I have NEVER had the impression that Judge Perry thinks he is above anyone. In fact, quite the opposite. I got the impression that he genuinely likes dealing with the public. :twocents:

I disagree completely.

First, the DT jokingly asked him to buy lunch, and he jokingly said no and mentioned the paycut. It would be improper for him to go to lunch with them. I did not see anything serious there at all. They were all joking.

He was also VERY concerned about people going into their savings, or any other hardship. Yes, there were people WILLING to use vacation (to get on the jury IMO), and he DID NOT want them to do that.

As for the rules, it is different when there is no jury present. Once there is a jury in that court room, everything will change.

I have NEVER had the impression that Judge Perry thinks he is above anyone. In fact, quite the opposite. I got the impression that he genuinely likes dealing with the public. :twocents:

BBM and upholds the laws of the land....just to jump off you, Softtail...

He is very concerned for the jurors and does not want them to go bankrupt being jurors on this trial...he is concerned for everyone...including the victim...He appears to be giving much to the DT and this covers the appeals issue on bias...he will be fair and impartial but he will uphold the law, once a verdict is given...JMHO

Justice for Caylee

I stand firmly by my grade "A" for HHJBP. IMO he is doing a fine job given the magnitude of the media frenzy and having to deal with this particular DT, especially JB! Rock on HHJBP!!!

I have to give the Judge an F! He has been to easy from the beginning, allowing informal dress, gum chewing, outbursts, and many more things against court room rules. Those rules should have been upheld from the start, not just during the trial. The other problem I have with this Judge is; when one of the lawyer asked if they were going to have lunches catered, the Judge stated that he worked for so, and so. He than had to be sure to state with an ugly look on his face, that they had to take a 3% cut in pay (boohoo). Than this Judge goes on to ask each potential juror, IF THEY HAVE VACATION TIME they can use to serve on this jury. Really Judge, you make a huge salery, have a problem with taking a pay cut, but expect the average person who is barely making it in these times, to use all their vacation time for Casey Anthony. This Judge deserves an F just for his attitude towards those beneath him. JMO

Actually, Judge Stan Strickland allowed those things as well. And he was in charge of the case from 2008 until 2010 when Judge Perry took over. We have seen more movement with Judge Perry in one year than with Judge Strickland in nearly two. As for the lawyer asking about lunches being catered, it was a joke. IMO, referencing the 3% paycut allowed him to explain that everyone in the state of Florida, including judges, were feeling the pinch. I don't believe he was asking each of the possible jurors about the vacation time with the intent to have any of them use that time UNLESS they had accumulated a sizable amount and WISHED to use it. Prior to retirement, my father had accumulated over a year's worth of vacation time. He would have been someone who was in a position to use that time for a court case.

I think Judge Perry is doing the very best he can with what he has to work with. Everyday he is having to educate the defense (Baez) about something. Baez and company are in above their heads, but the judge still has the duty of making sure their client receives a fair (and appeal free) trial. A most daunting task with that cast of characters. All MHO.

Just jumping in off of your post. :)

Can someone please tell me where to find the postings regarding HHJP being short with JA regarding the pot.juror who can't judge others? I'd try to find, but am in a world of hurt due to dental issues and I have no idea where to find and I missed it when it happened. If someone could give me the day and approximate time, I would sure appreciate it greatly.

Thanks guys! :blowkiss:

ETA: Or if anyone can point the way to a youtube of said event...would be even better! Tanks! :)

They are in the Day 5 Jury Selection thread, starting about page 41.
WFTV also has the videos from the interview if you want to listen.
Not sure if anyone from this site saved audio..?

There is also a whole thread devoted to the topic, scroll down to SA peremptory challenge denied.

For those who think the judge is not doing a good job have you ever sat in on jury selection for a criminal trial. Your courthouse is right down the street and whenever you have some free time sit in on a session or two. You will see this judge is moving along pretty swiftly. Some instructions to the jury are required by law. Some could be appellate issues further down the road so we really can't judge how he is doing on that basis. He is doing what is required of him. Remember he is the judge. He's not the mommy. The attorney's made some decisions as to how they wanted these jurors done, I believe, so don't blame the judge. I think the judge is above whinning about certain things he sees and because he was in hearings in OC the rules relaxed a bit. In a trial it will be different I would hope.

Anyone notice at one of the jury selection segments the guard who was standing by the side desk alerted to something in the gallery and immediately pointed to "out the door". Maybe a cell phone that rang. But he was quick. They are very good in this courtroom with security. jmo

I completely trust HHJP,far more than my own reactions ,in this case. He's been doing this for awhile .

I would give him an A+ but the option isn't there. He is following EVERY letter of the Law, and for that you have to admire him. I know others have gotten upset with him, but I haven't.

For those who think the judge is not doing a good job have you ever sat in on jury selection for a criminal trial. Your courthouse is right down the street and whenever you have some free time sit in on a session or two. You will see this judge is moving along pretty swiftly. Some instructions to the jury are required by law. Some could be appellate issues further down the road so we really can't judge how he is doing on that basis. He is doing what is required of him. Remember he is the judge. He's not the mommy. The attorney's made some decisions as to how they wanted these jurors done, I believe, so don't blame the judge. I think the judge is above whinning about certain things he sees and because he was in hearings in OC the rules relaxed a bit. In a trial it will be different I would hope.

Anyone notice at one of the jury selection segments the guard who was standing by the side desk alerted to something in the gallery and immediately pointed to "out the door". Maybe a cell phone that rang. But he was quick. They are very good in this courtroom with security. jmo

We went to a large function last week and security was heightened- every single person with a cell phone was made to turn it on - in case of phone detonated bombs...

I gave him a B. I don't give out A's easily. By the end of trial I am sure he will have earned his A. Another reason for the B is the way he is doing jury selection. I don't know if I consider it the best way to find an impartial jury. Of course that is just my opinion. I know he is trying to speed it up, I just don't know if u should give time such an important role in a capital punishment trial.

After this week, I sadly had to vote unsure. I am troubled by the Judge not allowing a Peremptory Strike by the State and the Defense. I thought those were"freebees". To be used at will by the party.
I see him being more lenient to the DT than the State, and that is worrisome. He is certainly more harsh with the SA.
It bothers me greatly.
I have like everyone else have waited since DAY 31...for justice for Caylee. Please, don't let us go through this again. Let the first time be right and the only time.

I certainly understand your frustration at HHJPs ruling on denying the SA this strike (I myself was outraged initially). I also have to agree that IMO HHJP is coming across as rather harsh towards the SA as opposed to his handling of the DT.

However on consideration of the proceedings as a whole thus far, I feel that this "harshness" is possibly more of a reflection of HHJPs frustration or disappointment at a more than capable SA making mistakes, rather than animosity towards them.

IIRC HHJP was himself a prosecutor, and a very good one at that. I think he is fully aware of all of the facts in this case, and thus is also fully aware of what is required to successfully prosecute it. He has used his vast knowledge and experience to date, to ensure that ICA gets a fair and unchallengeable trial. IMO he expects nothing less of the highly experienced SA.

All my own opinion :blushing:

I gave him a B. I don't give out A's easily. By the end of trial I am sure he will have earned his A. Another reason for the B is the way he is doing jury selection. I don't know if I consider it the best way to find an impartial jury. Of course that is just my opinion. I know he is trying to speed it up, I just don't know if u should give time such an important role in a capital punishment trial.
I respectfully disagree.
Even though he said he asked the lawyers how long they needed for each juror ,he has not imposed the time limit on the lawyers if they went over. He has not told anyone "times up" during questioning of PJ's,that I've seen.
The lawyers continue to do what they need to,including talking very slowly,IMO.:innocent:
If HHJP didn't set some time expectations,the DT would drag this out for years:crazy:

I certainly understand your frustration at HHJPs ruling on denying the SA this strike (I myself was outraged initially). I also have to agree that IMO HHJP is coming across as rather harsh towards the SA as opposed to his handling of the DT.

However on consideration of the proceedings as a whole thus far, I feel that this "harshness" is possibly more of a reflection of HHJPs frustration or disappointment at a more than capable SA making mistakes, rather than animosity towards them.

IIRC HHJP was himself a prosecutor, and a very good one at that. I think he is fully aware of all of the facts in this case, and thus is also fully aware of what is required to successfully prosecute it. He has used his vast knowledge and experience to date, to ensure that ICA gets a fair and unchallengeable trial. IMO he expects nothing less of the highly experienced SA.

All my own opinion :blushing:

Were we mind melding across the pond?:waitasec:
I just wrote the same thing in the sidebar thread !

THis is misunderstood IMHO. The timeframe by law cannot be inferred for the DP and the media quetions based on case law. He ONLY is limiting general questions....the third part each day. The media IMHO took this incorrectly so that everyone is thinking 30 minutes for each side for DP/Media and General Voir Dire. This is incorrect as to media reporting IMHO.

I respectfully disagree.
Even though he said he asked the lawyers how long they needed for each juror ,he has not imposed the time limit on the lawyers if they went over. He has not told anyone "times up" during questioning of PJ's,that I've seen.
The lawyers continue to do what they need to,including talking very slowly,IMO.:innocent:
If HHJP didn't set some time expectations,the DT would drag this out for years:crazy:

I absolutely believe Judge Perry deserves an A. He comes across fair, considerate and respectful of everyone yet firm when he has to be. He's also adorable...sort of looks like a little boy.

I think he is doing a good job, but sometimes I feel like he is trying to push things along too fast with Jury selection, and I'm worried it could bring on a appeal if ICA is convicted.

I love this judge, how he talks to people, and he seems like a really nice family man also.

I think he is doing a good job, but sometimes I feel like he is trying to push things along too fast with Jury selection, and I'm worried it could bring on a appeal if ICA is convicted.

Never thought about that. Problem is if this takes too mcuh time to get a jury, the jurors can become tainted very easily. I can see why Judge wants to speed this up.

I feel the DT is with out question at times dragging their feet fully knowing the risk to the jury becoming tainted, actually hoping. Since day one of selection they wanted a continuance blah blah blah and HHJBP said no we will proceed as scheduled. HHJBP has followed the letter of the law and imo epitomizes what and how an honorable Judge should do his job. It is a shame that he is an exception now days it seems.

IMHO the media, especially trutv are the absolute worst. They make it seem as if he's leaving the door open here for an appeals issue. I would put money on that NOT HAPPENING! It took Scott P. selection for jury months because they had a judge who did not lay down the law, follow a tight schedule or bow down to lawyering games in the courtroom. Ineffective and huge waste of time and money. HHJBP cares about the cost as well to the taxpayers, but also that ICA receive a fair trial with a fair and impartial jury!

Rock On HHJBP!!! I love me some HHJBP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member