What Is the Defense Strategy?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember when this first started, that one of the news stations brought up the fact that Baez representing a man charged with murdering his girlfriends child. {Diaz case?}

I also remember one day Baez rushing out, saying that he was late for another case. {I'm late, I'm late, I'm late for a very important date!!}
Though, he did the time for a quick q&a session. That day he was late for the Diaz case.
We have since heard that Diaz is appealing, amoung other reasons, for inadequate council.

What we have seen of this case, and compare it to what we have since heard of the Diaz case, he seems to be following it to the letter.
Supressing evidence, placing blame on every one else, etc.

And, I also wonder if Casey hadn't seen or heard of this case in the media prior to her arrest, and, that is why she went with Baez??

Big difference between the two cases is that there WAS someone else who could have been responsible, the mother.

I had to run an errand and there was a dead animal on the road with what must have been about 12 buzzards blocking my path. And it suddenly occurred to me. Why, oh why would JB be stating that the body (not remains but body) was placed there after KC was in jail. The first 31 days animals and buzzards would have gone undetected because no one was looking for a missing child. In 31 days there would not have been much left of the body, I would imagine.

So now defense comes along and claims the body was put there after KC went back to jail but how could that be when his witnesses are saying they saw no birds, no animals, no unusual smells. Would this not give the jury even more reason to believe that the body was placed there when she first went missing rather than later? While they have been investigating TES volunteers we now know there were a lot of people in that area making it almost impossible for anyone to have dumped a body because the birds, animals and decomp smell would have given that site away. Defense is saying there were alot of people searching in that area on their own. If that many people were searching in and around Suburban how could someone go undetected dropping a body there presuming it was still a body.

It seems more likely than not this is going to backfire big time on them. There just is no other explanation that fits with the physical evidence that we know of: the bones scattered and some with chew marks from animals, bones burned under the muck with leaves on top of them, and the black trash bag with plant life growing through it. Experts aside and even without their testimony these are powerful reasons to believe the remains have been there since June. It's just common sense.

Maybe defense should have a little sit down with their client instead of just seeing her in court for a little chit chat. A full suit of armor might help but someone needs to talk to this girl. She's toast. jmo

You make very valid points, and ones that I hope the state brings up in open court.

I would venture a guess that little Caylee's remains were just that, within a week of her being placed there.
With the heat of the Florida weather, and as small and tiny as she was, the decomp process would have been acelerated, and the smell from that would have attracted many, many animals in a short period of time.

There probably weren't even time for buzzards to have arrived, being she was off the road.
The wild animals would have had their feast long before there would have been notice of any smells and buzzards in that area, IMO.

The defense has tried Ray Kronk. IIRC, and I wish to be corrected as I am fishing for the facts: the defense did not do what is necessary to be able to present Mr. Kronk as a suspect? TIA

I want to start a thread called "what do you think Casey has told her defense team?"

What if Jose is being such a poor lawyer because he is following Casey's lead? Sorry if this has been covered, its a new thought to me. :waitasec:

...js...

respectuflly snipped

Chiquita

I think the reason the Roy Kronk motion wasn't pursued was because the people who helped give it life, i.e. Krystal Sparks and her son Brandon were not so keen to repeat their original claims to the SAO. I think LDB called it stonewalling. IIRC the depositions did eventually happen but I suspect Krystal and Brandon were not as forthcoming as they had been with defense PI, Mort Smith. Maybe Brandon had a different perspective on things, once he learned that Dominic Casey had him pegged as a potential suspect. That said, I don't believe Mr Kronk is out of the defense woods yet. Mason imo made it clear at the last hearing, that the defense had most definitely not abandoned "sticking it" to Mr Kronk when he appears as a witness at trial. This would be a good question for one of the legal experts here on WS, how much lattitude do the defense get to empeach Kronk's character, in absence of a "bad acts" ruling from the Judge.

"I want to start a thread called "what do you think Casey has told her defense team?"

:clap: I think that would make for a great thread, so many lies that her defense team would have to have confronted her on. e.g she first tells Baez she can afford to retain him with hard cash, she presumably for the first few days parrots her Sawgrass apartment story....then comes the JBP story, timer 55 and all that jazz. Would any lawyer not ask his client why she cannot provide one authentic address for the woman she claims babysat her child for approx two years? Then there are her phantom outcry witnesses, Jeffrey Michael Hopkins and Julliette Lewis. Did Baez not call her on this? Her lies are so numerous, we could talk about each one and how her defense team plan to deal with them. And what about those jailhouse letters where we essentially get version # 3 about Zanny the nanny. KC tells Robyn Adam that she asked Zanny to take Caylee for a few days.

"What if Jose is being such a poor lawyer because he is following Casey's lead? Sorry if this has been covered, its a new thought to me." :waitasec:

I think when KC scibbles her legal opinions during hearings, Baez allows her the notion, she is indeed a valued paralegal. :floorlaugh: I have never believed Baez thought KC innocent. He may be an inexperienced lawyer with some personal issues/character traits, but I don't think he's simple minded.

You make very valid points, and ones that I hope the state brings up in open court.

I would venture a guess that little Caylee's remains were just that, within a week of her being placed there.
With the heat of the Florida weather, and as small and tiny as she was, the decomp process would have been acelerated, and the smell from that would have attracted many, many animals in a short period of time.

There probably weren't even time for buzzards to have arrived, being she was off the road.
The wild animals would have had their feast long before there would have been notice of any smells and buzzards in that area, IMO.

Something I noticed. Connecticut no buzzards. NC lots and lots of buzzards and along the coastal area you can see them circling for miles. I would think Florida is about the same because it is so flat. But I do think they have them because witnesses were saying they did not see any in September or October and they would have been long gone. They are so common locals don't even notice them. I'm new so I do. Not bashing here but buzzards are really ugly. jmo

Something I noticed. Connecticut no buzzards. NC lots and lots of buzzards and along the coastal area you can see them circling for miles. I would think Florida is about the same because it is so flat. But I do think they have them because witnesses were saying they did not see any in September or October and they would have been long gone. They are so common locals don't even notice them. I'm new so I do. Not bashing here but buzzards are really ugly. jmo

A little O/T, but not that much. We moved to central Florida 5 years ago and didn't think much of seeing buzzards because we saw a lot of them in TX. About a year after we moved into this house I was in the back yard when I noticed 4 or 5 buzzards circling just a little ways off. There is a greenbelt back there, so I assumed they had found something to eat. Within 5 minutes it had gone from 4 or 5 buzzards to over 50 - and I am quite serious about the number. I called the non emergency police number and told the dispatcher that I felt a little foolish calling this in, but this was more than just a dead raccoon or something. A very nice officer stopped by about 1/2 hour later and told me that there was a dead deer back there and that is what brought them all on. So yeah, even though people areound here are used to seeing buzzards - we are going to notice when they start showing up in large numbers!

However, the Suburban site had a lot of trees and heavy brush and buzzards don't usually try to get into those places. To hard for them to be able to take wing if they have to.

Do LE have regular psych evaluations as part of their ongoing employment? I ask because I've always found it strange a man would leave a respected LE profession on the urging of his wife to flounder in low paying jobs. He was in LE when they married right? And it was the birth of Lee that prompted CA to encourage him to morph into something else? Or was it.
... [snip]
I wonder if there were issues at work that combined with his wife's nattering in the background, forced his hand to quit. Some mental health issue, anger management, who knows but if the story about shoving his father through a window is true, GA has a problem. [snip]
In any case, GA didn't do it. An ex-LE wouldn't leave a corpse within smelling distance of his house IMO. He wouldn't have volunteered to drive the car home from the impound or questioned at the time, the horrible smell emanating from the trunk. So I have to ask, what will the defense try to blame on GA exactly?
GA is the only one in the family except the Plesea's that I have even an iota of sympathy for. He's the only one that has normal emotional reactions visible on ghis face and he's the only one IMHO that the jury will be able to relate to human to human.
JMO

I agree with your insights concerning George. It seems as if he is the most real and the most heartfelt, yet there is something strange that is hidden in the back story concerning his exit from LE, imo.

I used to post quite a bit on another board about this case. There was one man there who believed Casey was innocent. When we urged him to convince us by giving us a believable scenario it used to come down to George as being the only option. He could explain away three main problems for Casey by using George as a suspect.
Why did she make up the Nanny story? To cover for her Father.
Why didn't she report the child missing? Because at first she thought he wouldn't hurt her, and then she was frightened and was also covering for
him. And she was a sexual abuse victim of his for decades.

Why doesn't she cooperate with LE ? Because she does not want to get her Father in trouble so she is just going to sit and do nothing and wait because she knows she is innocent so she will be set free eventually.

How did the killer know about the pet dumping ground from her childhood and how did they get the child's toys and blankets?
Obviously George could do all of that. Another reason he is a good option for a suspect.

Why did the canine patrol alert on the Anthony's yard? Because George initially buried the baby there and then hid her later on. And the car with the DNA in the trunk is his car and he had access to it himself.

So according to this Casey supporter I knew, a very adamant one, George was the most likely culprit. He provides logical reasons for Casey's lies and excuses and serves to make Casey the victim.

I don't think the defense will have any success with this theory at all. But I think that might be why Casey wrote those accusations in her jail house letters. She was looking to set George up. I worry that one lone juror could buy this nonsense though.

I don't care what the defense's strategy is as long as the jury gives Casey the DP and Caylee gets her justice.

I hate Casey and I Hate her family.

To me, the George-did-it theory still has a lot of problems. If your father killed your daughter - even if it was an accident - would you then be out partying with friends in nightclubs night after night? Really? Would you get a tattoo that says "Beautiful life?" Would you complain that all your parents cared about was finding your daughter?

It just doesn't make sense. This is not a grieving mother who lost her child at someone else's hands or through an accident. This is someone who is relieved to have gotten an obstacle out of her way so she can go on to live "the beautiful life."

Tink

Happy New Year Chiquita!

Do LE have regular psych evaluations as part of their ongoing employment? I ask because I've always found it strange a man would leave a respected LE profession on the urging of his wife to flounder in low paying jobs. He was in LE when they married right? And it was the birth of Lee that prompted CA to encourage him to morph into something else? Or was it.
If every LEO quit their job on the birth of their first child, we'd have no Yuri's or any police officer over the age of 30 on the force. What happened at GA's job to help push him out because I'm not buying the danger aspect. He could have transferred to a desk job. He has a degree apparently and back in the day, that would have been a huge bonus on the force and not the rule as it is (here) now.
I wonder if there were issues at work that combined with his wife's nattering in the background, forced his hand to quit. Some mental health issue, anger management, who knows but if the story about shoving his father through a window is true, GA has a problem. The gun he purchased and brought home to coincide with her release on bail is another example of a GA problem IMO. And is there anyone who thinks a switch off from LE to security comes with a lot less danger? I sure don't.I wonder if the mitigation expert isn't hoping to travel to collect dirt on KC but from GA's detachment in Ohio because IMO something is very wrong with that story.
In any case, GA didn't do it. An ex-LE wouldn't leave a corpse within smelling distance of his house IMO. He wouldn't have volunteered to drive the car home from the impound or questioned at the time, the horrible smell emanating from the trunk. So I have to ask, what will the defense try to blame on GA exactly?
GA is the only one in the family except the Plesea's that I have even an iota of sympathy for. He's the only one that has normal emotional reactions visible on ghis face and he's the only one IMHO that the jury will be able to relate to human to human.
I watched KC scribbling away at her notes on Jan 03 and noticed something pretty funny. Besides the fact that all three of them at the defense table looked like they were taking a grade 6 dictation test, busy scribbling away in unison, I noticed KC at other times and really tried to concentrate on the movements her pen was making. I believe the gal is making clouds around the comments she already made and doodling squiggles, rather than actually forming a thought to paper. I'm starting to think she may have been coached to pretend to write by doodling. It keeps her focus off her hair and dabbing her eyes for telltale signs of mascara and makes her look busy, intelligent even. The defense freak over the telephoto lens stems from the fact that if the camera was to catch a shot of the doodles, the pretense of bumanity in KC would be gone forever. Watch her pen movements. Writing goes from top to bottom. What KC does goes in circles, sometimes counter clockwise.
Why would KC need to take dictation during the motion when both her boys were busy doing it and they had the benefit of understanding the big words and knowing how to spell them?
I think she's calling the shots to JB but his days on the case are numbered and MC doesn't take direction from JB. Maybe he did once but never again. He may be deaf but he has a far greater legal mind in his confusion than JB will ever rise to. He's not retiring as a joke amongst his peers. I'm sure his ego will rise to the occasion of taking the reins away from the children he shares a desk with. JMO

I am SO glad that you noticed that "doodling action" also ~!!

I thought a couple of times, that it looked like she was making circles, like someone would practice when learning to write in cursive!!!

And, you are right, the last thing the defense would want picked up with that long lense is cartoon doodles from her paper.....

Oh, and I also always thought the excuse of George quitting the force was horse-hocky.
I have always wondered about a comment that George made to Casey, while he was visiting her alone at the jail.
He made referance to some type of "trouble" or "my issue" that was taken care, and Casey acknowledged it, though, neither said or even hinted at what it may have been.

Defense strategy?

Pray for a rogue juror who identifies with the A's and is sympathetic to ICA? Someone who distrusts the justice system, lives in a world of half truths and mis-truths and, would love to roll the dice by springing ICA? Instant fame.

Defense strategy?

Pray for a rogue juror who identifies with the A's and is sympathetic to ICA? Someone who distrusts the justice system, lives in a world of half truths and mis-truths and, would love to roll the dice by springing ICA? Instant fame.

And therein lies a major problem.

I think the defence strategy is to create chaos and unreasonable doubt. Minute in and minute out. I think they have no long term strategy other than delaying endlessly. The mitigation phase is a fallback, for show. Overall the idea is to blame everyone and everything, to distract from the perp's obviously sadistic murder of an innocent and tender baby, Caylee. It's filicide, pure and simple.

IMO, the immediate and long term and eternal strategy of Jose Baez is to secure a place for himself in the media and make lots of bucks. For him it's a win-win situation. He may not smell like a rose, but fetid and carrion-like aromas are highly prized nowadays I understand.

Have any of HHJB's ruling's ever been overturned on an appeal?

Just asking I have no idea if any have.

Re: Chief Judge Belvin Perry
by khintx on Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:52 pm

New Casey Anthony judge will lower hammer on proceedings, experts say

Reported by: Cary Williams
Email: cwilliams@abcactionnews.com
Last Update: 11:38 am

Orange County Chief Judge Belvin Perry ORANGE COUNTY, FL -- When Casey Anthony's attorneys asked Orange County Circuit Judge Stan Strickland to remove himself from Casey Anthony's murder trial, they likely set themselves up for a much tougher go, according to legal analysts.

On Monday, Strickland granted a motion filed by Casey's attorneys asking that he recuse himself. Casey's defense team argued that comments the judge made to a blogger showed he was prejudiced against Anthony.

Orange County Chief Judge Belvin Perry has taken over the high-profile case. He has been Chief Judge for nearly 13 years and has sat on the bench in central Florida for 21 years.

Perry is known as a no-nonsense, brass tacks kind of judge. This differs greatly from Strickland, who is viewed as a more laid-back, congenial jurist.

In ten years of hearing criminal cases, including murder trials, only one of Perry's ruling have been overturned by a higher court.

More at:

http://www.realitychatter.com/t2282-chief-judge-belvin-perry

I agree, no problem in the long run.

Could be a problem in the short run, though.

If ICA is convicted...that is all that is enough for me. If this case spends years in appeals, as long as that means she spends years in prison, that too, is enough for me (only exception...she can spend NO taxpayer money in this process).

All that is needed, no matter what crazy legal mumbo jumbo may come into play, is that ICA is in prison and away from anyone she could harm (And this includes her own family...who may not even know how she has harmed them...to the point of criminality on their part)

To me it doesn't matter if she gets death or life in prison...just as long as she can't harm another innocent child.

To me, the George-did-it theory still has a lot of problems. If your father killed your daughter - even if it was an accident - would you then be out partying with friends in nightclubs night after night? Really? Would you get a tattoo that says "Beautiful life?" Would you complain that all your parents cared about was finding your daughter?

It just doesn't make sense. This is not a grieving mother who lost her child at someone else's hands or through an accident. This is someone who is relieved to have gotten an obstacle out of her way so she can go on to live "the beautiful life."

Tink

I agree with you that the ' George -did-it' defense has a lot of problems. Probably because it is a big fat lie. But they need to find some one to scapegoat, and george is the perfect patsy. He tried to commit suicide which is a big plus for the defense. And she can use the excuse of a battered child/sex abuse victim for sympathy votes.
The partying and the tattoo are a big hurdle for the defense which is why they are trying so hard to have it all kept out of the evidence. But they will try and say that Casey was just trying to act like everything was okay and she tried to act like it was all good because she was 'afraid' her father would kill her or the family if she didn't. I know that is a ridiculous long shot but that is what they are left with. They have to somehow explain her cold skanky unfeeling behavior without admitting the truth.

The defense does not have to answer all the obvious questions. They just have to trick ONE lone juror into falling for this ridiculous story. I don't think they will be able to do so however.

I agree, no problem in the long run.

Could be a problem in the short run, though.

Everyone else is a stretch, I mean a real stretch. Take a good look at defense now in court. They do not have anything that will not backfire on them. Nothing. It looks like they may not even have any experts who will disagree with the state's experts. LDB and JA present so well in court and are 100% believable. They are articulate and are excellently prepared for court. KC has made herself undefendable. Defense has their hands full. The State of Florida is ready. Just a few more depositions and they'll be ready to try this case.

Imagine being a young male juror in this trial who may be a young father or is anticipating being one some day hearing how they cut out Caylee's dad from her life. Bam, done away with, vanished. Never to be a part of his child's life. He never got to see her as a baby. Never had the chance to hug her or hold her. Never had a chance to smell her hair after her bath. Imagine how you would feel if you were this man. And I can't help but feel that if KC ever, ever told her mother who the real father was he would be the number one suspect right now. jmo

Everyone else is a stretch, I mean a real stretch. Take a good look at defense now in court. They do not have anything that will not backfire on them. Nothing. It looks like they may not even have any experts who will disagree with the state's experts. LDB and JA present so well in court and are 100% believable. They are articulate and are excellently prepared for court. KC has made herself undefendable. Defense has their hands full. The State of Florida is ready. Just a few more depositions and they'll be ready to try this case.

Imagine being a young male juror in this trial who may be a young father or is anticipating being one some day hearing how they cut out Caylee's dad from her life. Bam, done away with, vanished. Never to be a part of his child's life. He never got to see her as a baby. Never had the chance to hug her or hold her. Never had a chance to smell her hair after her bath. Imagine how you would feel if you were this man. And I can't help but feel that if KC ever, ever told her mother who the real father was he would be the number one suspect right now. jmo

Granted.

But we were talking about one rogue juror who would forego logic and intelligence to seek fame for being "The" juror who hung the case. Fame can be a powerful incentive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay