Where Should Boulder Police Start?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Even so, I think the statute has run out by now.

There is no statute of limitations in ANY State on murder. But as far as BR is concerned, the age he was at the time of the crime remains his protection legally as long as he lives.

There is no statute of limitations in ANY State on murder. But as far as BR is concerned, the age he was at the time of the crime remains his protection legally as long as he lives.

I meant the statute on making false statements.

I'm sad to say there is truth to it. And I'm not surprised you haven't heard of it. It was never that well-known to begin with, and LW spends a lot of time making sure no one mentions it. But the autopsy report listed "chronic inflammation," "epithelial erosion," and a hymen that had been stretched over twice as large as a six-year-old should have. Moreover, eight physicians agreed, independently, that JBR was the victim of molestation for a period of anywhere from three days to six weeks. (Some go higher than that!)

Whether or not that is conclusive is a matter of opinion, apparently.

I don't recall seeing the stretched information in the autopsy. And you're absolutely right about whether or not it's conclusive being a matter of opinion.

I meant the statute on making false statements.

I thought there were no "good samaritan" laws in any state? I didn't think there were any laws saying you have to come forward and tell the police if you know something about a crime. This may be state by state, though.

Under Colorado law, he can't be charged with ANY crime that was committed while he was under 10. BR was never allowed to be thoroughly questioned. He may not have lied to police- he just didn't tell them anything. A person can't be compelled to testify about a crime that no one can prove he was a witness to. He has never said he knows what happened, so he can't be forced to tell police anything. Whether police (or anyone else) thinks or knows that he knows what happened doesn't enter in to it. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks.
It is NOT illegal to withhold information about a crime, because you can't be forced to admit to knowing about that crime. If you are KNOWN to be a witness, you still can't be compelled to answer questions. Your lawyers can prevent you from answering, or you can invoke your 5th Amendment privilege. The only time you can be compelled to answer (and not allowed to have your lawyer present) is in front of a Grand Jury.
It is illegal to lie to police about the whereabouts of a person accused of a crime, if it can be proved you knew where they were when you were asked. (like when the perp is in your house and police come to the door and you tell them the perp is not there.). This really isn't the same thing as what you mean with BR.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Burke Ramsey testify before the grand jury?

I don't recall seeing the stretched information in the autopsy.

Then look no further.

1x1 cm hymeneal orifice. The hymen itself is represented by a rim of tissue extending clockwise from between the 2:00 and 10:00 positions.

the "1x1 cm hymeneal orifice" is the bell-ringer here. That means that the opening in JonBenet's six-year-old hymen was one centimeter by one centimeter. This is twice the size of a so-called normal hymeneal opening for a girl this age. In a September 1999 study for the Medical Journal Family Medicine titled "Genital Findings in Prepubertal Girls Evaluated for Sexual Abuse: A Different Perspective on Hymeneal Measurements," Dr. Perry Pugno said:
"Girls with no definitive signs of genital trauma exhibited a mean transhymenal diameter of 2.3 mm and in general showed an increase of approximately 1 mm per year of age. Girls with definitive signs of genital trauma exhibited a mean transhymenal diameter of 9.0 mm and no significant variance with age. Correcting for age differences, the transhymenal diameter was highly significant as a differentiating factor (F=1079, P<.001). When compared against the criterion standard, the transhymenal measurement is 99% specific and 79% sensitive as a screening tool."

These findings imply an "expected" hymeneal opening size of 6 mm for someone JonBenet's age; her actual opening size, 1 cm, placed her in the mid-range of sizes observed in this study among six-year olds known to have been abused.

And you're absolutely right about whether or not it's conclusive being a matter of opinion.

You do realize what the implication was there, right?

I thought there were no "good samaritan" laws in any state? I didn't think there were any laws saying you have to come forward and tell the police if you know something about a crime. This may be state by state, though.

I didn't say "withholding information." I said "false statements."

Get every investigator to study again all the lab reports on the fiber evidence implicating John and and Patsy.
Make sure all are on the same page and well informed, to avoid mistakes like in the prior investigation, where for example Steve Thomas could not tell whether the balled-up red turtleneck had been tested for urine or not.

According to the official interviews, fibers from Patsy's jacket were found:
- on the duct tape
- in the paint tray
- in the 'garrote'
- on the blanket covering the body

John's shirt fibers were found
- in the crotch of the size 12 Bloomies, and from the way they phrase it in the interview, imo one can infer that the fibers were also found on the victim's crotch. They are probably the small dark fibers mentioned in the Bonita papers.

Should it turn out unequivocally that the lab report was correct, then they have trump card against Lin Wood who claimed he had been to the lab and it turned out they had no fiber evidence against John.
For in that case, Wood would be convicted of a lie.

- Test the nylon cord for touch DNA.
- Test the size 12 Bloomies for touch DNA

- Reinterview John Ramsey. Confront him with the evidence.
Make him view the video where Burke says JonBenet was awake when the family arrived home and WALKED up the stairs.

- Reeinterview Burke, and this time take the kid gloves off.

Lets add

Test the spoon and glass for saliva/DNA/prints
Test the kleenex box PR said wasn't hers
Test the suitcase handle for prints/DNA
Test the chair that JR claimed the intruder pulled against the door (AFTER they closed it, LOL) for prints
Off course, the chair may not exist anymore, nor the suitcase. I don't know whether it was taken into evidence. The suitcase should have been, because ut contained one of JBR's hairs, a children's book, and with a comforter stained with JAR's semen. It was his dorm room comforter. As far as I understand, it hasn't been taken seriously by LE as being linked to the crime.

And then there's those cigarette butts that were gathered up outside. I doubt if they marked where each individual one was found. If the perp smoked, he may have smoked out the broken window, and thrown the butts outside.

Lets add

Test the spoon and glass for saliva/DNA/prints
Test the kleenex box PR said wasn't hers
Test the suitcase handle for prints/DNA
Test the chair that JR claimed the intruder pulled against the door (AFTER they closed it, LOL) for prints
Off course, the chair may not exist anymore, nor the suitcase. I don't know whether it was taken into evidence. The suitcase should have been, because ut contained one of JBR's hairs, a children's book, and with a comforter stained with JAR's semen. It was his dorm room comforter. As far as I understand, it hasn't been taken seriously by LE as being linked to the crime.
DeeDee, do you have the source where it says the suitcase contained one of JonBenet's hairs? TIA.

And then there's those cigarette butts that were gathered up outside. I doubt if they marked where each individual one was found. If the perp smoked, he may have smoked out the broken window, and thrown the butts outside.

Hi Maikai.
Ya, the cigarette butts, interesting point. Ty for mentioning that. I read a bit more to refresh....

http://www.acandyrose.com/crimescene-inventory.htm
Dec 26, 1996 search warrant page 13:
Cigarette, leaves, bag (58 BAH)

http://wcco.com/goodquestion/good.question.dna.2.768430.html

"Even as much as five, ten years ago we never did cigarette butts for example. We didn't know if we had enough DNA to get a result," said Deters. "Now we're doing things like cigarette butts, pop can bottles, DNA that's left behind on surfaces or clothing items." -Kris Deters, acting supervisor of the Nuclear DNA section at the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension Crime Lab.

The cigarette butts and the suggested 'connection' to another case:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/12/16/48hours/main661569.shtml

[Former Denver private investigator Pete Peterson]also collected cigarette butts found outside Amy's house, and discovered that the "same brands were found in the Ramseys' alley."

[Former Denver private investigator Pete Peterson]also collected cigarette butts found outside Amy's house, and discovered that the "same brands were found in the Ramseys' alley."[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the links! I forgot about the Amy case, and was not aware that the PI compared the brands. I do recall that the butts in the Amy case were found in an area where the perp could have observed the house.

If the perp(s) in the Ramsey case were smokers, odds are they smoked---at least outside the house--or, out a window depending how much time was spent in the house. I don't think they were geniuses---and wouldn't think the cigarette butts could harbor DNA. I remember reading that some people at one of the Ramseys party smoked outside, but you'd think a guest would at least use an ashtray provided outside and not throw them all over the place. The location of the butts found could be important.

Also, they never said what (if any) forensic evidence was found in the Amy case. You'd think the cigarette butts, or any other DNA would have been compared to the Ramsey case.

[Former Denver private investigator Pete Peterson]also collected cigarette butts found outside Amy's house, and discovered that the "same brands were found in the Ramseys' alley."

Thanks for the links! I forgot about the Amy case, and was not aware that the PI compared the brands. I do recall that the butts in the Amy case were found in an area where the perp could have observed the house.

If the perp(s) in the Ramsey case were smokers, odds are they smoked---at least outside the house--or, out a window depending how much time was spent in the house. I don't think they were geniuses---and wouldn't think the cigarette butts could harbor DNA. I remember reading that some people at one of the Ramseys party smoked outside, but you'd think a guest would at least use an ashtray provided outside and not throw them all over the place. The location of the butts found could be important.

Also, they never said what (if any) forensic evidence was found in the Amy case. You'd think the cigarette butts, or any other DNA would have been compared to the Ramsey case.[/quote]

Nahhh, I don't think that J or P Ramsey were smokers.

Didn't hear about Steve Thomas lately.
Is he okay?Absolutely loved his book.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm