Where will the jury come from?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Panhandle here; we only receive from 2 stations in Panama City and one from Pensacola. The others are all out of state ~ Mobile, Dothan AL, etc, etc. But some posters were speculating that HHJP only floated the comment about the news stations to confuse the curious. I dunno.

Oh wow! I guess if he was doing that it worked on us too. :floorlaugh:

If you want an idea of how media coverage varies throughout Florida, my school has a newspaper archive database and it tells you how many articles each newspaper has written about a certain subject. Here's the data for Caylee's case:

Orlando Sentinel: 517 articles (Orange County)
Tampa Bay Examiner: 79 articles (Hillsborough County)
Ft. Lauderdale Sun Sentinel: 75 articles (Broward County)
Bradenton Herald: 66 articles (Manatee County)
Ocala Star Banner: 35 articles (Marion County)
Gainesville Sun: 35 articles (Alachua County)
Miami Herald: 25 articles (Miami-Dade County)
St. Augustine Record: 22 articles (St. Johns County)
St. Petersburg Times: 17 articles (Pinellas County)

This is just newspaper coverage, not local TV coverage, but I would think the proportions would be about the same, as in Orlando having the most, etc.

That is really interesting. Can you check Panama City, FL or Pensacola, FL? Those are the ones that would probably have fewer Florida TV stations as well.

ETA: Sorry... I should have read further in the thread. I see you answered for Pensacola already. I just have a hunch that the panhandle is going to be the area chosen.

I am inclined to think somewhere in North FL as HHJP as spent so much time there....maybe all of it was not just about the court's funding.

I would think if jury notices have already gone out that it will be a very large pool called. If as HHJP says there is not many TV stations there I would think it means not as popluated either as some of the big metro areas. (In that case the locals there may already be getting a hint something big is up if almost everyone that know has recieved a summons for that week...LOL!)

I also think HHJP's reason for giving them only a week to select a jury is that he has seen how the DT wasted so much of the court's time already. It is probably a veiled threat to stick to business and do your job or we are coming back to Orange County.

But in all honesty I don't think Orange County would be that bad. It has been years now and even when the story was fresh very few of my friends, family or co-workers followed the case beyond the first few days. Even with the local new acticles you can tell by the comments that most of the people that are commenting there are other people that are following the case on websites such as this one and are not true locals. That is why I come on the net, to have people to discuss this case with.

I am inclined to think somewhere in North FL as HHJP as spent so much time there....maybe all of it was not just about the court's funding.

I would think if jury notices have already gone out that it will be a very large pool called. If as HHJP says there is not many TV stations there I would think it means not as popluated either as some of the big metro areas. (In that case the locals there may already be getting a hint something big is up if almost everyone that know has recieved a summons for that week...LOL!)

I also think HHJP's reason for giving them only a week to select a jury is that he has seen how the DT wasted so much of the court's time already. It is probably a veiled threat to stick to business and do your job or we are coming back to Orange County.

But in all honesty I don't think Orange County would be that bad. It has been years now and even when the story was fresh very few of my friends, family or co-workers followed the case beyond the first few days. Even with the local new acticles you can tell by the comments that most of the people that are commenting there are other people that are following the case on websites such as this one and are not true locals. That is why I come on the net, to have people to discuss this case with.

Orange County has over one million residents, so I agree that they could find 12 jurors who aren't "obsessed" with the case and could be fair. If people aren't interested in a news story, they'll leave the room when it comes on, not click the link on the website, change the channel, skip over the article, etc. If you polled all the residents of Orange County, you would probably get a much higher percentage that say that they're aware of the case, vs. how many of those people know about (insert small detail about the case here).

Hi neighbor. :seeya: Okaloosa county here; our local paper has had only a sprinkling of articles about the case. Would you be surprised if a county in the panhandle is selected? I would; I think the defense would object that we're too small-town-ish. (Not that I think we are. :luv:)

IMO Baez would object to any location that wasn't Miami-Dade.

I don't see that it says it in the Florida Rules of Criminal Procedure. It just says that it is up to the Judge to choose the new venue.

Not a requirement in the Florida Rules of Judicial Administration either.

I'm not sure if there is any other procedure or case law that requires it though.

Thanks
That's what I remember .
I also remember waaaay back (in the Judge Strickland days) Baez arguing about the change of venue and where HE wanted the trial moved to and iirc Jeff Ashton inserted that the decision of the location where the trial would be held was not his(Baez) to make but the Judge's.

That is really interesting. Can you check Panama City, FL or Pensacola, FL? Those are the ones that would probably have fewer Florida TV stations as well.

ETA: Sorry... I should have read further in the thread. I see you answered for Pensacola already. I just have a hunch that the panhandle is going to be the area chosen.

bbm
Me too.
Which City in North Florida hosted a high profile murder trial? Was it Tallahassee?
Where did that jury come from or was it a local jury? that may narrow down locations..I don't think, but I don't know, Judge Perry will impose another high profile murder case on the same location so soon.

UPDATE
Yes it was the Hilton murder case in Tallahassee this year
http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20110203/NEWS01/102030322/Jury-chosen-in-Hilton-murder-trial

The jury came from Leon county...Jury chosen on February 3, 2011
What are the chances that Leon county will be ruled out to serve as Jurors on this case?

Who thinks Alachua County (Gainesville) may be a contender?
About 2.5 hours drive to Orlando, does not get broadcasts from the local Orlando market tv stations.
Don't know how much coverage they received from the Casey Anthony case though.

I recall during this last hearing, His Honor mentioned something about Central Florida...this will be a hardship for some...3 months is a long time to be away from home/work...we are down to the wire now...30 days and counting...JMHO

Justice for Caylee

bbm
Me too.
Which City in North Florida hosted a high profile murder trial? Was it Tallahassee?
Where did that jury come from or was it a local jury? that may narrow down locations..I don't think, but I don't know, Judge Perry will impose another high profile murder case on the same location so soon.

UPDATE
http://www.tallahassee.com/article/...-Jury-selection-begins-in-Hilton-murder-trial

The jury came from Lee county...Jury chosen on February 3, 2011
What are the chances that Lee county will be ruled out to serve as Jurors on this case?

I actually watched the Hilton trial EVRY DAY. The jury was not from another area. The trial was held in Leon County which is Tallahassee and the jurors were selected from Leon County.

The were not sequestered until deliberation. It took 2 hours.

The defense team in that case requested a change of venue but it was denied. Judge Hank Hankinson was very good about issuing a gag order early on in the case.

An aside...the Prosecutor reminded me of LDB. Her name is Georgia Cappleman and she was OUTSTANDING.

I recall during this last hearing, His Honor mentioned something about Central Florida...this will be a hardship for some...3 months is a long time to be away from home/work...we are down to the wire now...30 days and counting...JMHO

Justice for Caylee

they have 1 week to seat the jury..
Judge Perry said that IF a jury could not be seated in the location that he chose then they would return to Orlando and seat a jury from Orange county...he also said he would allow the attorneys to submit objections and IF they succeeded in their argument and convince him otherwise he may move to seat a jury in another location...

I assume Judge Perry has a few other locations researched just in case.

I actually watched the Hilton trial EVRY DAY. The jury was not from another area. The trial was held in Leon County which is Tallahassee and the jurors were selected from Leon County.

The were not sequestered until deliberation. It took 2 hours.

The defense team in that case requested a change of venue but it was denied. Judge Hank Hankinson was very good about issuing a gag order early on in the case.

An aside...the Prosecutor reminded me of LDB. Her name is Georgia Cappleman and she was OUTSTANDING.

Thanks SOTS...corrected my post...I don't know where I read Lee county..:banghead:

Do you think a Leon county jury is OUT for the Anthony case?

Thanks SOTS...corrected my post...I don't know where I read Lee county..:banghead:

Do you think a Leon county jury is OUT for the Anthony case?

Well it could have been a typo in an article somewhere. I don't know if Leon would be in the running.

It is smaller than Orlando and a HUGE population is State Workers and College students.

Plus the Legislative Session is going on there now so it might now be a good time for extra chaos.

I guess time will tell.

We had a pretty high profile case here in Lee County (Fort Myers, Bonita Springs, Cape Coral, Lehigh Acres, etc...)... at least it was high profile in Lee County. I don't know if anyone ever heard of the case of Baby Gretchen? She suffered brutal abuse and was murdered on April 26th, 2000. Justin Grodin didn't go to trial for the murder of Gretchen until June 2009 (almost a decade!!) and they still had to go outside of Lee County to get a jury. If I remember correctly, they went to Hendry County? I won't get into what I think of the mothers sentence for her role in this.

Lee County is about 500,000 residents less than Orange County though? So maybe you will be able to get a fair and partial jury there... but I really don't think she can? Caylee's case is a national case. A lot more high profile than the one I just brought up.

I think Jose better think very long and hard before he tries to stall the jury selection process because he is not getting the location that he desires. Judge Perry put a lot of work into picking a location with the least amount of coverage on this case from what I understand it is their best bet to get a fair and partial jury in that location.

I don't blame him for not giving them more than a week for jury selection. By the end of the first day the media is going to be converging on that county like flies to... well you know!?!? If the selection lasts more than the time Judge Perry is giving... the jury pool in that location will be tainted.

We had a pretty high profile case here in Lee County (Fort Myers, Bonita Springs, Cape Coral, Lehigh Acres, etc...)... at least it was high profile in Lee County. I don't know if anyone ever heard of the case of Baby Gretchen? She suffered brutal abuse and was murdered on April 26th, 2000. Justin Grodin didn't go to trial for the murder of Gretchen until June 2009 (almost a decade!!) and they still had to go outside of Lee County to get a jury. If I remember correctly, they went to Hendry County? I won't get into what I think of the mothers sentence for her role in this.

Lee County is about 500,000 residents less than Orange County though? So maybe you will be able to get a fair and partial jury there... but I really don't think she can? Caylee's case is a national case. A lot more high profile than the one I just brought up.

I think Jose better think very long and hard before he tries to stall the jury selection process because he is not getting the location that he desires. Judge Perry put a lot of work into picking a location with the least amount of coverage on this case from what I understand it is their best bet to get a fair and partial jury in that location.

I don't blame him for not giving them more than a week for jury selection. By the end of the first day the media is going to be converging on that county like flies to... well you know!?!? If the selection lasts more than the time Judge Perry is giving... the jury pool in that location will be tainted.

It's okay if a juror member is aware of a case prior to the trial; as long as they aren't "obsessed" with it and know every detail and have their minds made up. If someone lives in a Florida metro area that had minimal local coverage on this case, and didn't watch HLN, then I think they could "avoid" the case pretty well since HLN seems to be the bulk of the national coverage.

Well lets see, these are some of the people who probably won't make it onto the jury:

1. People who party at Fusion
2. People who write bad checks at Target
3. All friend or relatives of Kathi B
4. People who are Hispanic
5. Those with tattoos
6. Housewives who use Febreeze
7. Squirrel lovers
8. Anyone on antidepressants or anti-anxiety meds
9. People who can't grow their hair very fast
10. Small chested women
11. Those with sexual abuse history
12. All event planners
13. Nannies
14. People who keep their cars neat and clean
15. Anyone who has ever posted online about this case or watches Nancy Grace
16. Bailbondsmen
17. Those who disapprove of strutting and wearing Missing Baby t-shirts tied up at
the waist
18. Citizens with real jobs
19. People who have smelled human decomposition
20. Mothers

I am sure I have missed a few.

Hi neighbor. :seeya: Okaloosa county here; our local paper has had only a sprinkling of articles about the case. Would you be surprised if a county in the panhandle is selected? I would; I think the defense would object that we're too small-town-ish. (Not that I think we are. :luv:)

I live in Santa Rosa County (GB), so we're even closer. My office is over in P'Cola. I'm headed your way tomorrow when I take my Mom to the Ft. Walton airport. :)

I'd be surprised if the jury didn't come from the Panhandle.

bbm
Me too.

UPDATE
http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20110203/NEWS01/102030322/Jury-chosen-in-Hilton-murder-trial

What are the chances that Leon county will be ruled out to serve as Jurors on this case?

About 2.5 hours drive to Orlando, does not get broadcasts from the local Orlando market tv stations.

P'Cola has also recently had some of the trials for the Billings case, a number of whom charged are DP cases. There are still some trials coming up, but the alleged "ringleader" was found guilty and sentenced to the DP. The juries have been local.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=361"]Byrd and Melanie Billings - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

bbm
Me too.

UPDATE

I may be wrong but I think I remember HHJP mentioning that case in Tallahassee when they were talking about this change of venue saying that they didn't have to change that venue even with massive local media coverage.

I'm not sure about Gainesville. It's a possibility but if the Judge wasn't just pulling our leg about this to throw off the media, I kind of took his remarks to mean that the area had fewer channels inside Florida. To me that sounds like he's going way over in the panhandle where they are watching channels from Alabama and Georgia. Of course, that's only me guessing. I've been known to be wrong... lots and lots of times. LOL :crazy:

I may be wrong but I think I remember HHJP mentioning that case in Tallahassee when they were talking about this change of venue saying that they didn't have to change that venue even with massive local media coverage.

I'm not sure about Gainesville. It's a possibility but if the Judge wasn't just pulling our leg about this to throw off the media, I kind of took his remarks to mean that the area had fewer channels inside Florida. To me that sounds like he's going way over in the panhandle where they are watching channels from Alabama and Georgia. Of course, that's only me guessing. I've been known to be wrong... lots and lots of times. LOL :crazy:

The case that HHJP was referring to was the Danny Rolling case. He was the man who murdered 5 college students in Alachua county back in early 90's. The town was in hysteria.

He was tried with a jury in Orange County (he pled guity on day one in a shocking move) and was later sentenced with a jury from Alachua (where the crimes occurred).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back