Who was George Brody?- Part 2.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm trying to get caught up with what has already been discovered in this case. I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned, but the numerology obsession made me wonder if perhaps Brody could have been Jewish. Orthodox Jews (and later Madonna) have long studied Kabbalah, which includes numerology. For example, the number 18 is sacred in Judaism because it is what the letters in the Hebrew word for life equal (the word is chai). Could Brody have come from a Jewish family? I read in some of the earlier threads that there was a chance he could have been Hungarian, Austrian, or Czech.

Marie-Chantal,

In the Box from Hell thread, I have just bumped up a link containg all the notes GW's used for his to do list and more!

You'll probably love this!

SK

Did he ever provide a definition of the "right direction"? What did Brody do for a living? Did he ever aspire to be a psychiatrist? Do you know if he graduated from high school? Went to college? How many people (other than Seka and GW) did he try to steer in the "right direction"?

I looked at the link to that note that Side Kick linked (originally posted by Cubby). It looks to me like a discussion about an insurance policy. It looks like they were going to take out a policy on someone, change the beneficiaries around, borrow money from it, and then later increase the amount. Was this policy on Anna? Do you know who the beneficiaries were? This looks very calculated and sketchy. People taking out insurance policies for legitimate use do not make plans to change the beneficiaries and take out loans before they've even gotten the policy.

My theory about GB:
Born to immigrant parents and/or came to the US as a very young child.
Family was poor; GB not very educated until later in life when he decided to improve himself by reading on his own-no formal education other than maybe K-12 schooling.
Highly dysfunctional family-perhaps the mother or father was very controlling; GB was a weak child who felt the need to overcompensate for this when he was an adult.

Of course, this is just my very uneducated guess. His mental issues definitely come out in his writing. He probably had an explosive temper; hence all the underlining and flourishes in his notes. I'll bet that Seka absolutely made him go into a rage when she saw through him.

Did GW grow up without a father figure? If their relationship wasn't sexual, then GB must have filled some sort of gap in GW's life. Was GW looking for religion or dealing with depression before he met GB? It just puzzles me that he would be so easily swayed by this guy.

Help me out here, people. Discussing Brody gives me palpitations. I really believe he was evil, and I don't like to dwell on it more than I absolutely have to. I believe Marie-Chantal's guesses are probably right. The "right" way was whatever Brody dreamed up at the moment, from treating seizures with lemon juice to writing letters to the wives of war criminals. As to why GW was vulnerable: He was disturbed in his thinking. Yes, Brody had a terrible temper. The hotel desk man said he could hear him screaming at GW all the time and felt sorry for him.

I'll jump back into this when I get back in a few hours. I have an appointment in 20 minutes which I will be leaving for in a few minutes.

Hopefully I can get to it this afternoon. Depends on how much homework the kiddo has. If not, I will come back to it in the am when the kiddo is at school.

We have different opinions on the insurance policy/ies. Mine is that GW wanted to take one/several out for GB and appears to have been convinced he was going to die in an accident.

As for the plan, I personally do not see it as being related to Anna's disappearance. IMO, it appears to be something GW discontinued pursuing when he realized GB would have to provide identification to collect.

IMO, it is coincidental, and simply that the best reason to take out an insurance policy is to provide support for a child. I believe that is why the policy was originally intended to be taken out on Anna, and then changed at a later date. Nothing more than an easier way to get the policy accepted. IMO, it is a mute point as the evidence we have led us to believe GW discarded pursuing a policy with Lloyd's when he realized GB would need to provide ID to collect benefits.

In the thread for Anna's POV, someone mentioned Anna not finding us if she was doing an adoptee search for her biological family.

I've wondered why someone researching their ancestry hasn't found this info/thread about George Brody? It's not as if he'd have any living immediate family left. We'd be on the second or third generation descendants. .....And I find it hard to imagine GB was an only. It was not typical for families his generation to only have one child.

Even if his parents died, say from the great influenza about 1919/1920 he'd likely still have siblings, Aunts Uncles.

Why haven't any genealogy researches, not associated with researching Anna's case, found us? If they have, do they fear reaching out due to the presumption GB might have been involved in disappearing Anna? If they have found us, and not made contact because of that fear, I'd hope they would reconsider, knowing we are simply seeking answers and that they would be treated with the same respect offered all WS members.

Just had to get that out here. It's been on my mind recently. Especially since the 1940 census was released.

In the thread for Anna's POV, someone mentioned Anna not finding us if she was doing an adoptee search for her biological family.

I've wondered why someone researching their ancestry hasn't found this info/thread about George Brody?

Just had to get that out here. It's been on my mind recently. Especially since the 1940 census was released.

BBM: this indicates that this George Brody was made, not born. Any idea of the numerolgy 'system' used to add Eifee to Anna's name? What does the label George Brody mean using that system?

Think no one could be related to him? Well, a couple weeks ago I was at an event a couple hundred miles from my home. I spoke very briefly with a person wearing their surname on an athletic jersey -- an unusual surname. Yep, we have a common relation. Yep, "George Brody's" relatives are out there but they are probably not looking for George Brody.

Now to figure out where he came from, why he became George Brody, what he did with Anna....

I found the 1940 Census configuration to be unwieldy, haven't found anything useful in it yet.

Laughing

Laughing I found the 1940 Census configuration to be unwieldy said:
so when people are taking the sense back then or even now. when they go door to door do they ask to see id or just ask if i can have your name and occupation. if they dont then when they got to "george brodys place of residence" could he have made up that name and occupation for the census?

also is brodys picture up on like ancestry.com? maybe we could put in the surname unknown person possibly last name brody not sure if you have seen this picture before in your old photos in your house please email... and why u want the info

Once again browsing around I located this article which I'am sure was discussed at one time.

Berkeley Daily Gazette - October 2, 1941

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...AAAIBAJ&pg=4652,2571644&dq=george+brody&hl=en

Cleared on Charges of Hitting Picket

The jury required just 15 minutes to clear Joseph J Sgroe 29. of 1912 Sacramento Street, of the charge he hit a barber shop picket. Sgroe was freed yesterday afternoon in justice court following brief retirement of the eight man, four woman which heard evidence in behalf of George Brody, 36 of 1724 San Pablo Avenue who was picketing a barber shop at 1906 University Avenue for the AFL's Barber Union on August 5th.

Testimony was that Sgroe entered the shop for a haircut and saw Brody take down the license plate number of his car. Sgroe went out to ask Brody for the slip. When he turned his back, Brody said Sgroe slapped him.

Sidekick asked about how the census is completed.

The people gathering the information are called Enumerators. They did go door-to-door and speak directly with residents. As far as I know, no proof was needed in answer to any question. In different decades, forms & cards were left if no one answered the door. Sometimes neighbors or the landlord provide the information. In the 1920, my uncles are mixed up -- the correct names are all there but the birth order & ages are inaccurate. I believe that someone other than my Great-granny answered those questions!

So indeed someone answers the door in northern California and states that his name is George Brody and he is a (what did he say?) Political Assistant. But we don't know if he was born George Brody or chose that name.

To use the 1940 Census today, you have to understand where the person you're hunting lived. I don't understand where George &/or the Georges lived and hope that someone else can find 'em!

Laughing

IIRC, the address in the 1940 Census matched up with the address in the old newspaper article raf found.

What I don't recall seeing is if an address search was done to compare with the 1930 Census. I don't have an ancestry membership so I don't do a lot of that research.

Thinking outloud here. The Census can be searched by street and then address, correct?

It might be a long shot, but I wonder if we can search by address and birth year 1905 and see if either GB shows up as GB, or a name that could be determined to be anglicized.

I hope that makes sense, getting kind of tired here.

Additionally, it's possible a genealogist found GB under his birth name and got stuck at some point, never connecting our GB after a name change.

Another thought (before I forget it when falling asleep.)

Awhile back I brought up the suggestion of going to an actual library which might house the Polk Directories for Oakland and SF. Maybe we can research which libraries carry them, and if any are in a safer area, perhaps a reader or member can choose to go to one of the libraries which carries them.

Again, I haven't done much research on Ancestry once it was no longer free (ages ago). Can someone help find out what libraries might carry the Oakland and SF Polks directories?

tia

Another thought (before I forget it when falling asleep.)

Awhile back I brought up the suggestion of going to an actual library which might house the Polk Directories for Oakland and SF. Maybe we can research which libraries carry them, and if any are in a safer area, perhaps a reader or member can choose to go to one of the libraries which carries them.

Again, I haven't done much research on Ancestry once it was no longer free (ages ago). Can someone help find out what libraries might carry the Oakland and SF Polks directories?

tia

Hi Cubby,

Haven't got time to look but you can read the Polk directories online. Link below.

http://archive.org/details/polksoaklandcali1928rlpo

Hi Cubby,

Haven't got time to look but you can read the Polk directories online. Link below.

Tried, maybe I don't understand the search function but searching for "Brody" returned no matches.

Lots of hits for San Pablo, but I could not get a match for 1724 San Pablo or any other address. Matches for 172*, a typical wildcard character.

Thanks for finding the directory, now to figure out the search capability.

Also planning drive by the LDS Family History Center to see of they're open today.

Oh, for local access to a physical library collection and a professional librarian!

Anybody know an archivist anywhere in CA? I have an email out to a retired archivist in this area hoping for a contact.

Laughing

Hi Cubby,

Thank you, OzzieMum. I've tried the online Polks and have never been able to make heads or tails of it. I used the actual hard copies of Polks years and years ago. IIRC they make a new one every year, so we'd really need to search each year, going backwards from the earliest year we have an address for Brody.

They are as thick as a paperback dictionary, iirc, so I think online would be incredibly difficult, but maybe someone could take a shot at it.

And hopefully, some day, someone with access at a library will stumble upon this and look for the the info.

Thank you, OzzieMum. I've tried the online Polks and have never been able to make heads or tails of it. I used the actual hard copies of Polks years and years ago. IIRC they make a new one every year, so we'd really need to search each year, going backwards from the earliest year we have an address for Brody.

They are as thick as a paperback dictionary, iirc, so I think online would be incredibly difficult, but maybe someone could take a shot at it.

And hopefully, some day, someone with access at a library will stumble upon this and look for the the info.

I am going to try to have a better look at it on the weekend.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back