Who was George Brody?- Part 2.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thank you Annasmom.

I am going to ask the mods to do a little housekeeping here in Anna's forum to make things easier to find. In other forums, locked threads are in a subforum, within the forum, for read only. It makes it a little easier to find things.

In the mean time, I bumped the GB ruled out only thread and ask it be sticked so we can find it quickly.

Anna's forum is one of the oldest here, and as we grew we discovered ways to be better organized in other forums. I will take some time over the next few days and try to get this forum easier to navigate. My goal is to condense to a single page versus the second page with a bunch of locked threads....

Still looking for the MK info. I'm not sure how to best move that yet.

It may take a few days or a little longer, depending on how busy Admin is. Those moves/changes can only made by Admin.... so be patient please. I'm sure they will agree. It's just a matter of how soon both myself and admin can get to it.

hth

Here is an older thread I just bumped to the 1st page of threads. It too has some info on MK.

How and where did George and Margaret meet? - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

In the mean time the best way to search is from the top of the main forum with all the different threads.
Click search,
then click advanced search.
Choose keyword
and at the bottom of the page change from sort by threads to sort by posts. Very important to sort by posts.... or have to start over.

The above works best for me when I am searching for specific posted info.

hth

leaving some notes here so I can find them again:

After learning that GB listed Russia as his birthplace on 1940, I searched earlier censuses for GB's who were born in Russia.

Found George Brody b 1909 Russia, came to US in 1921, several naturalization records on Ancestry but requires a separate membership to view the images (darn it! I want to see that signature!)

On 1930 census he is listed as a salesman in Boston (our GB listed in Oakland as a salesman in 1936) and as a single lodger.

Witnesses mentioned on the Naturalization are Abraham Shwartz and Alan Kravitz.

There is also a Naturalization for a George Brody that I can view (born 1901 in unknown country), I think it was already looked at on here and the handwriting was possible but not a smoking gun...

Gonna try to see if I can eliminate this guy as our GB...

Found an Alan Kravitz also in Boston, naturalization records show he was "admitted" in 1924, birth location is Odessa, Russia, birthdate 12/25/1901 listed as an unmarried paper boy at 14 Fayston St, Boston.

Found Alan Kravitz listed as a lawyer in the 1927 Boston directory. Business address 43 Tremont, home address 19 Havelock Dor. There was a Gussie Kravitz(widow of Hyman) also at 19 Havelock Dor.

There are some address changes and Alan Kravitz married an Eva, and he stayed in Boston through 1952, then the 1957 directory shows Eva (widow of Alan) Eva continues to be listed through 1974. A son, Alan Kravitz is listed from 1962-1971? (not sure the 1971 listing is the same guy)

I don't find them on the 1930 census. I can't pinpoint an Abraham Shwartz, there are several of them.

Snippet from Boston Globe:
Kravitz Disbarred, Admits Charges of Insurance Frauds Alan Kravitz, 44, 7 Wildwood st., Dorchester, an attorney since 1924, was ordered ... snow In some instances he added forged insurance records from the Boston City and Massachusetts ...

There is also an article that refers to Alan Kravitz as an attorney for Chelsea Naval Hospital but couldn't read the whole article. It is from 1936. Not sure if this could have any significance with regard to MK, I don't have the timeline straight in my head...

This is ringing a bell for some reason... the fraud, etc. I think I remember seeing an article about a George Brody who was involved in AFL-CIO drama... in Boston, IIRC...

Sorry for all the mish-mash here, guys.. .just trying to store this info somewhere

leaving some notes here so I can find them again:

After learning that GB listed Russia as his birthplace on 1940, I searched earlier censuses for GB's who were born in Russia.

Found George Brody b 1909 Russia, came to US in 1921, several naturalization records on Ancestry but requires a separate membership to view the images (darn it! I want to see that signature!)

On 1930 census he is listed as a salesman in Boston (our GB listed in Oakland as a salesman in 1936) and as a single lodger.

Witnesses mentioned on the Naturalization are Abraham Shwartz and Alan Kravitz.

There is also a Naturalization for a George Brody that I can view (born 1901 in unknown country), I think it was already looked at on here and the handwriting was possible but not a smoking gun...

Gonna try to see if I can eliminate this guy as our GB...

Found an Alan Kravitz also in Boston, naturalization records show he was "admitted" in 1924, birth location is Odessa, Russia, birthdate 12/25/1901 listed as an unmarried paper boy at 14 Fayston St, Boston.

Found Alan Kravitz listed as a lawyer in the 1927 Boston directory. Business address 43 Tremont, home address 19 Havelock Dor. There was a Gussie Kravitz(widow of Hyman) also at 19 Havelock Dor.

There are some address changes and Alan Kravitz married an Eva, and he stayed in Boston through 1952, then the 1957 directory shows Eva (widow of Alan) Eva continues to be listed through 1974. A son, Alan Kravitz is listed from 1962-1971? (not sure the 1971 listing is the same guy)

I don't find them on the 1930 census. I can't pinpoint an Abraham Shwartz, there are several of them.

Snippet from Boston Globe:
Kravitz Disbarred, Admits Charges of Insurance Frauds Alan Kravitz, 44, 7 Wildwood st., Dorchester, an attorney since 1924, was ordered ... snow In some instances he added forged insurance records from the Boston City and Massachusetts ...

There is also an article that refers to Alan Kravitz as an attorney for Chelsea Naval Hospital but couldn't read the whole article. It is from 1936. Not sure if this could have any significance with regard to MK, I don't have the timeline straight in my head...

This is ringing a bell for some reason... the fraud, etc. I think I remember seeing an article about a George Brody who was involved in AFL-CIO drama... in Boston, IIRC...

Sorry for all the mish-mash here, guys.. .just trying to store this info somewhere

Hi Odyessy,

I have re-registered with Fold3 (Foot Note), I will start searching again on there.

I copied the two documents that I could find on Ancestry.com:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1539

That third one is the 1901 one, that one has been posted previously and is the one I thought could be our GB (based on the signature) but not sure enough to really get excited about it.

The other two look like they were in Pennsylvania, I suppose they are just as likely as the Boston one to be him, although they have countries other than Russia as their place of origin...

Thanks for posting them!

Hi Odyessy,

I have re-registered with Fold3 (Foot Note), I will start searching again on there.

That's awesome! I can't believe they would charge you for a membership, then require another fee-based membership to view the documents... that's ridiculous. :banghead:

Wanted: A WS'er who has a subscription to archived newspapers...

A George Brody is mentioned in this 1957 article from The New York Times in regards to....

New York Times - Oct 30, 1957
The scheme, Mr. Rohrdanz said, called for the dismissal of several employes, eventually narrowed to one man, George Brody. The Teamsters Union then was to ...

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=FB0A10FC3A5C14738DDDA90B94D8415B8789F1D3

Thanks! ( i don't recall this article being researched in the past )

Wanted: A WS'er who has a subscription to archived newspapers...

A George Brody is mentioned in this 1957 article from The New York Times in regards to....

New York Times - Oct 30, 1957
The scheme, Mr. Rohrdanz said, called for the dismissal of several employes, eventually narrowed to one man, George Brody. The Teamsters Union then was to ...

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=FB0A10FC3A5C14738DDDA90B94D8415B8789F1D3

Thanks! ( i don't recall this article being researched in the past )

I don't have a subscription, but I do believe I was able to get most of that article just by using the last words of the snippet to get a little more.... I believe I posted it here somewhere.

Hmm. Can't find it now. Maybe I put it in a word document or something, I know I did transcribe most of it. I will look for it after dinner.

I don't have a subscription, but I do believe I was able to get most of that article just by using the last words of the snippet to get a little more.... I believe I posted it here somewhere.

Hmm. Can't find it now. Maybe I put it in a word document or something, I know I did transcribe most of it. I will look for it after dinner.

~ Odyssey,

Thx, perhaps I can try to find it too thru google.

Best! SK

~ Odyssey,

Thx, perhaps I can try to find it too thru google.

Best! SK

Very frustrating, I can't find it. I am floored that I didn't post it here, that is not like me, I post all my findings here so I can find them again later, regardless of how irrelevant they may be. I do remember something to do with George Brody working in a department store, and being involved in some sort of scam. There was a mention of AFL-CIO union, which is why I can't believe I wouldn't have posted it.

here is what I was able to come up with trying to transcribe it again. It isn't complete but I believe the below is the only part that mentions Brody. There was something about insurance somewhere in this or a related article though.

All these were charged to Sears, Roebuck by Mr. Shefferman. "I'm wondering," Senator said, "If Mr. Beck and others also billed their unions for that trip. "I wouldn't doubt it," said WW Tudor, a Sears, Roebuck vice president who was testifying ax the time. A former Sears employe, Paul Rohrdanz of Orchard Park, NY, told of a Sears- Shefferman scheme that failed at a Sears Boston store during a campaign the Retail Clerks International Union several years ago. *My own Note: Retails Clerks Union is referred to as AFL-CIO in other article*

The scheme, Mr. Rohrdanz said, called for the dismissal of several employes, eventually narrowed to one man, George Brody. The Teamsters Union then was to approach. Dir. Brody and offer help in getting him--reinstated. This was to make the retail clerks look ineffective. The Teamsters Union was seeking representation rights only among a group of service employes. Mr. Rohrdanz said he had understood that if the teamsters had won "they wouldn't be very active." i The scheme backfired when Mr. Brody spurned the I teamsters and tvent, ' instead, to the National Labor Relations Board. A board investigation resulted in his reinstatement back pay. CB Caldwell, the - sot of Mr. Tudor as employe relations executive, had collaborated in the Brody episode, several witnesses testified.

here is what I was able to come up with trying to transcribe it again. It isn't complete but I believe the below is the only part that mentions Brody. There was something about insurance somewhere in this or a related article though.

All these were charged to Sears, Roebuck by Mr. Shefferman. "I'm wondering," Senator said, "If Mr. Beck and others also billed their unions for that trip. "I wouldn't doubt it," said WW Tudor, a Sears, Roebuck vice president who was testifying ax the time. A former Sears employe, Paul Rohrdanz of Orchard Park, NY, told of a Sears- Shefferman scheme that failed at a Sears Boston store during a campaign the Retail Clerks International Union several years ago. *My own Note: Retails Clerks Union is referred to as AFL-CIO in other article*

The scheme, Mr. Rohrdanz said, called for the dismissal of several employes, eventually narrowed to one man, George Brody. The Teamsters Union then was to approach. Dir. Brody and offer help in getting him--reinstated. This was to make the retail clerks look ineffective. The Teamsters Union was seeking representation rights only among a group of service employes. Mr. Rohrdanz said he had understood that if the teamsters had won "they wouldn't be very active." i The scheme backfired when Mr. Brody spurned the I teamsters and tvent, ' instead, to the National Labor Relations Board. A board investigation resulted in his reinstatement back pay. CB Caldwell, the - sot of Mr. Tudor as employe relations executive, had collaborated in the Brody episode, several witnesses testified.

~Interesting. Isnt' just amazing we can't find much info on Brody? I really makes you wonder doesn't it? I wouldn't be surprised If GB did work in men's retail however as he apparently liked to dress nicely?? :) There was a retail store in NY back in the day owned by Brody's or something like that.. I saw that in the newspaper archives too. I'll see if I can find something!

Best! SK.

~Interesting. Isnt' just amazing we can't find much info on Brody? I really makes you wonder doesn't it? I wouldn't be surprised If GB did work in men's retail however as he apparently liked to dress nicely?? :) There was a retail store in NY back in the day owned by Brody's or something like that.. I saw that in the newspaper archives too. I'll see if I can find something!

Best! SK.

yeah, it sure sounds like him, with his ties to scams, AFL-CIO, etc... but the timing is kind of odd... for this to be him, he would have had to go from Oakland to the East Coast and then back to San Francisco.

Parking this, finally! I've been trying to post this for a few days and every chance I get here to this forum the board just spins and spins, argh!

This may or may not be relevant, but if Eifee is a little more than a nonsense game, perhaps it is how a very young child mispronounced a name. Perhaps even GB mispronounced this name as a child....

Anyhoo, Eifee almost sounds like IVY, when considering how a child might mispronounce Ivy. Now, I'm not that familiar with names and during which years they are popular. Or even how popular the name Ivy is among the top names for each year.

Tossing this out there, because if I came across the name Ivy in relation to our search for info on GB, I'd probably take a closer look.

I hope this doesn't sound too far out there. It occured to me just recently because my 9.5 yr old, who has struggled with speech since a young age, still has a few sound combinations he has trouble with....

I was looking at this photo of George Brody Doogie posted on this link. This particular photo is much clearer and larger than the one I have saved on my computer.
If you 'view' from 200 -400% it appears, (to me) a reflection in his glasses. I see a person on a bicycle. I think this was taken in 1974 one year after Anna vanished.
Just looking for clues....

Brody 4-74 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

[/QUOTE]Did they ever elaborate on what they meant by "amazing opportunity"? Opportunity to do what? Were they posing as self-help gurus? They sound like a very odd pair. How did GB make a living? Did he sponge off of GW? He seems like he was a very controlling, manipulative con-artist.[/QUOTE]
It's funny how it is still difficult for me to discuss this. They shared a delusion that GB had powers which would allow him to take over a person's life and steer it in the "right" direction. It was very scary, almost diabolic, and mental illness was involved here.

Did they ever elaborate on what they meant by "amazing opportunity"? Opportunity to do what? Were they posing as self-help gurus? They sound like a very odd pair. How did GB make a living? Did he sponge off of GW? He seems like he was a very controlling, manipulative con-artist.[/QUOTE]
It's funny how it is still difficult for me to discuss this. They shared a delusion that GB had powers which would allow him to take over a person's life and steer it in the "right" direction. It was very scary, almost diabolic, and mental illness was involved here.[/QUOTE]

Did he ever provide a definition of the "right direction"? What did Brody do for a living? Did he ever aspire to be a psychiatrist? Do you know if he graduated from high school? Went to college? How many people (other than Seka and GW) did he try to steer in the "right direction"?

I looked at the link to that note that Side Kick linked (originally posted by Cubby). It looks to me like a discussion about an insurance policy. It looks like they were going to take out a policy on someone, change the beneficiaries around, borrow money from it, and then later increase the amount. Was this policy on Anna? Do you know who the beneficiaries were? This looks very calculated and sketchy. People taking out insurance policies for legitimate use do not make plans to change the beneficiaries and take out loans before they've even gotten the policy.

My theory about GB:
Born to immigrant parents and/or came to the US as a very young child.
Family was poor; GB not very educated until later in life when he decided to improve himself by reading on his own-no formal education other than maybe K-12 schooling.
Highly dysfunctional family-perhaps the mother or father was very controlling; GB was a weak child who felt the need to overcompensate for this when he was an adult.

Of course, this is just my very uneducated guess. His mental issues definitely come out in his writing. He probably had an explosive temper; hence all the underlining and flourishes in his notes. I'll bet that Seka absolutely made him go into a rage when she saw through him.

Did GW grow up without a father figure? If their relationship wasn't sexual, then GB must have filled some sort of gap in GW's life. Was GW looking for religion or dealing with depression before he met GB? It just puzzles me that he would be so easily swayed by this guy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back