Who was George Brody?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish we had the answers to some of your questions, but the great mystery is that we cannot answer a single one, despite hundreds of attempts. Our best guess is that he was named George Brody, that he was sometimes called Bobby, that he was born around 1905 somewhere "back east" in the United States, and that he probably lived in the San Francisco Bay Area from at least the 1940s. It's really a needle in a haystack, and it might not even be worth your time to look at the library records, considering how little we have been able to find from newspapers, census reports, genealogy sites, birth records, passports, etc. It is very good of you to offer to do this, however.

I have to respectfully disagree. I think there exists far more information on paper in libraries than what is available online. I think the internet only offers a fraction of what can be traced via a library which would have local info. When I searched my families history in Will County at the Joliet library, none of what I found there was availabe online. I'm not even sure the smaller local newspapers would be available online.. I know of several in my area which are not.

We've traced the GB from the voter registrations and online article back to 1936 as they have the same street address. I would start with 1936-1941 and work backwards given whatever info can be found in the Oakland area... and possibly with that L middle initial which Annasmom found on a letter in the BFH.

As for the name Bobby, Margaret called him that while hospitalized correct? Was there anything noted she did so before she had the brain cancer? It's possible that, with a brain tumor, she may not even been fully aware of who he was at the time and started calling him Bobby. A tumor/cancer of the brain may have started playing tricks on her mind.

jmho.... respectfully.
Cubby

I have to respectfully disagree. I think there exists far more information on paper in libraries than what is available online. I think the internet only offers a fraction of what can be traced via a library which would have local info. When I searched my families history in Will County at the Joliet library, none of what I found there was availabe online. I'm not even sure the smaller local newspapers would be available online.. I know of several in my area which are not.

We've traced the GB from the voter registrations and online article back to 1936 as they have the same street address. I would start with 1936-1941 and work backwards given whatever info can be found in the Oakland area... and possibly with that L middle initial which Annasmom found on a letter in the BFH.

As for the name Bobby, Margaret called him that while hospitalized correct? Was there anything noted she did so before she had the brain cancer? It's possible that, with a brain tumor, she may not even been fully aware of who he was at the time and started calling him Bobby. A tumor/cancer of the brain may have started playing tricks on her mind.

jmho.... respectfully.
Cubby
Cubby, you're such a sweetheart. And of course you are right. As to the "Bobby", I can't really say, since we never knew anything of MK before she was hospitalized. I never saw her in person, and we know or think that she called Brody "Bobby" simply because he said so. Just to add another possibility to the mix (and our friend who speaks German can verify this or not), I understand "Bobby" is an affectionate German term for "baby".

Cubby, you're such a sweetheart. And of course you are right. As to the "Bobby", I can't really say, since we never knew anything of MK before she was hospitalized. I never saw her in person, and we know or think that she called Brody "Bobby" simply because he said so. Just to add another possibility to the mix (and our friend who speaks German can verify this or not), I understand "Bobby" is an affectionate German term for "baby".

I've been trying to follow this thread as I am new to WS, I am also German and thought I might be able to help with this. Though I have never heard this as a typical German term it did cross my mind that if what was interpreted as "Bobby" was in fact "Bubby" it could be an abbreviated form of the Yiddish/Hebrew "Bubalah" which is a term of endearment roughly meaning 'sweetheart' or 'dear'. I don't know if this is of any help? Though it might be interesting if he was perhaps of German-Jewish descent.

Following that line of thinking I decided to look into a database that I have used in my own studies, it is the database containing the names of the victims of the holocaust(http://www.yadvashem.org/wps/portal/!ut/p/_s.7_0_A/7_0_9E). I was curious because I did not think Brody to be a typical Jewish surname, there were however many people listed with the last name 'Brode' as well as 'Brodi', which depending on pronunciation might sound like Brody. Brody could also very well have been a more anglic form of the name. I could be way off base, but I found it interesting.

edited: looking further I see that Brod-y was also a very common name. Sorry for the confusion.

Aww, thanks for the nice compliment Annasmom. That made me smile. :blowkiss:

Another German language related post. I know there was some discussion as to whether or not the name Eifee is Germanic in origin. Well, yes and no. Eife is a common surname in Hessen (wo meine Familie wohnt!), and less common elsewhere- anyone interested can look at the map here (http://christoph.stoepel.net/geogen/en/Default.aspx). There is some discussion about the last name at this forum (http://www.onomastik.com/forum/about7222.html) trying to determine origins. The poster outlines many possibilities but the most convincing (to me) is the consensus is that it relates to those who originated from the town or region of Eifa in Hessen. Again no idea if this is of help or not.

Another German language related post. I know there was some discussion as to whether or not the name Eifee is Germanic in origin. Well, yes and no. Eife is a common surname in Hessen (wo meine Familie wohnt!), and less common elsewhere- anyone interested can look at the map here (http://christoph.stoepel.net/geogen/en/Default.aspx). There is some discussion about the last name at this forum (http://www.onomastik.com/forum/about7222.html) trying to determine origins. The poster outlines many possibilities but the most convincing (to me) is the consensus is that it relates to those who originated from the town or region of Eifa in Hessen. Again no idea if this is of help or not.
Thank you, Maedchen. We have never understood why GW wrote letters to the German embassy--his requests for information just seemed bizarre. Without going too much into this dark chapter, I have to say we might well think about why he wanted certain information from Germany.

Thank you, Maedchen. We have never understood why GW wrote letters to the German embassy--his requests for information just seemed bizarre. Without going too much into this dark chapter, I have to say we might well think about why he wanted certain information from Germany.

I had not heard of this aspect to the story, but it is very curious. I will definitely be reading further back to gain a better grasp of the case and the ideas put forth.

I should also say that I am very impressed by your diligence and hard work for your answers about your child. I hope that you will get the answers you so deserve.

Hi Annasmom, I know nothing abt this request: where I can find it in this forum? thanks, raf

Hi Annasmom, I know nothing abt this request: where I can find it in this forum? thanks, raf
I don't think this has been discussed in the forum. It is very difficult to talk about it. GW wrote the German embassy asking for the address of the widow of one of the famous German leaders of World War II. He then wrote this woman asking for information on what kind and what amount of poison her husband had used to kill himself. Why he wanted this information and what he planned to do with it is anybody's guess. At this point, he was probably completely under Brody's control and possibly taking dictation from him, but as we have mentioned several times, the papers which were left were papers GW expected to be seen; they were not left by accident, and obviously he had gotten rid of everything he did not want to be found. The few scraps of information we found (such as "The Plan") probably were overlooked, but the carbon copies of this correspondence were deliberately left among his papers. Perhaps he felt guilty and was planning to do away with himself, but the decision to do it in this way I cannot explain.

I don't think this has been discussed in the forum. It is very difficult to talk about it. GW wrote the German embassy asking for the address of the widow of one of the famous German leaders of World War II. He then wrote this woman asking for information on what kind and what amount of poison her husband had used to kill himself. Why he wanted this information and what he planned to do with it is anybody's guess. At this point, he was probably completely under Brody's control and possibly taking dictation from him, but as we have mentioned several times, the papers which were left were papers GW expected to be seen; they were not left by accident, and obviously he had gotten rid of everything he did not want to be found. The few scraps of information we found (such as "The Plan") probably were overlooked, but the carbon copies of this correspondence were deliberately left among his papers. Perhaps he felt guilty and was planning to do away with himself, but the decision to do it in this way I cannot explain.

Does this letter or letters provide a date they were written?

Thank you for kind explanation, hugs, raf

However, because GB was resident in Oakland in the WWII, he sure was enlisted for WWII... I wish search any George born in 1905/6 in this database
U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946
resident in Oakland... also in Oakland military district / Presidio( I know not if is the right spelling, but in Italian is Distretto Militare) it is possible to know all men enrolled? raf

Does this letter or letters provide a date they were written?
There is a carbon copy of a letter dated Feb. 12, 1969 to "Dear Frau Rommel" which refers to a previous letter of Oct. 22, 1968. He says he obtained her address through the West German embassy in Washington, D. C. He asks "for the sake of science" the exact nature of the "poison pill" taken by her late husband.

The second letter in the file, dated April 6, 1969, is addressed to the West German Embassy in Washington, D. C. (This is an original typed letter and appears to have been crumpled up and straightened out again. It says "Please advise whether or not you have access in or through your embassy of the following, to wit: if available, please give me the detailed information relative to the dosage contained in the capsule of potassium cyanide, administered (now it being "History") to the late Field Marshall Rommel, as well as the late Herman Goering."

The last letter, dated April 25, 1969, is from the German Information Center, which received the above letter, forwarded by the German Consulate General in San Francisco. It reiterates historical evidence regarding the two individuals GW asked after and refers him to information from the proceedings at the International Court in Nuremberg. It also suggests that the Library of Congress has copies of these proceedings and further suggests consulting the national archives or the office of the Attorney General in Washington.

Raf, is this the database you are referring to?

World War II Army Enlistment Records, created, 6/1/2002 - 9/30/2002, documenting the period ca. 1938 - 1946

http://aad.archives.gov/aad/series-description.jsp?s=3360

It includes conscientious objectors.

However, because GB was resident in Oakland in the WWII, he sure was enlisted for WWII... I wish search any George born in 1905/6 in this database
U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946
resident in Oakland... also in Oakland military district / Presidio( I know not if is the right spelling, but in Italian is Distretto Militare) it is possible to know all men enrolled? raf

In light of the other bizzare behavior to me, this is both interesting and also curious... Please do not feel me too far in left field with this reasoning...Could it even be remotely possible that George Brody might have known these Germans, and in doing so, could have been a nazi war criminal himself? There were several who escaped and formed new identities after the war, so conceiveably he could have been one of them? Think about it this way--he had a mysterious background, he never had a house or living facility in his name, he lived with others who could support him, no passport, did not appear to want to travel--he wanted no trace of himself anywhere, and lived "under the radar". He was a man who could have not only formed a new identity, but did so because he as in hiding!?

In reading about nazi war criminals, approx 30,000 escaped and formed new identities--it is completely conceiveable that he was one of them. Interestingly enough, several Croatian priests and private citizens participated in ratline--means of escape for the criminals. As far as George B's language/accent, Annasmom reported it as being an odd accent--perhaps he worked very hard on establishing an English accent, but still retained tiny bits of his native mannerisms in speech? Could GB be a Joseph

quote=Annasmom;2740870]There is a carbon copy of a letter dated Feb. 12, 1969 to "Dear Frau Rommel" which refers to a previous letter of Oct. 22, 1968. He says he obtained her address through the West German embassy in Washington, D. C. He asks "for the sake of science" the exact nature of the "poison pill" taken by her late husband.

The second letter in the file, dated April 6, 1969, is addressed to the West German Embassy in Washington, D. C. (This is an original typed letter and appears to have been crumpled up and straightened out again. It says "Please advise whether or not you have access in or through your embassy of the following, to wit: if available, please give me the detailed information relative to the dosage contained in the capsule of potassium cyanide, administered (now it being "History") to the late Field Marshall Rommel, as well as the late Herman Goering."

The last letter, dated April 25, 1969, is from the German Information Center, which received the above letter, forwarded by the German Consulate General in San Francisco. It reiterates historical evidence regarding the two individuals GW asked after and refers him to information from the proceedings at the International Court in Nuremberg. It also suggests that the Library of Congress has copies of these proceedings and further suggests consulting the national archives or the office of the Attorney General in Washington.[/quote]

Hi KivaSupporter, yes I know the website and just now I ended the search... no GB.. in Oakland:

View Record ARMY SERIAL NUMBER NAME RESIDENCE: STATE RESIDENCE: COUNTY PLACE OF ENLISTMENT DATE OF ENLISTMENT YEAR SOURCE OF ARMY PERSONNEL YEAR OF BIRTH

20901246 YEARY#GEORGE#E########## CALIFORNIA ALAMEDA OAKLAND CALIFORNIA 41 National Guard 17

20901269 CABRAL#GEORGE#E######### CALIFORNIA ALAMEDA OAKLAND CALIFORNIA 41 National Guard 17

20901521 CARIA#GEORGE#W########## CALIFORNIA ALAMEDA OAKLAND CALIFORNIA 41 National Guard 21

20901562 BOLTON#GEORGE#W######### CALIFORNIA ALAMEDA OAKLAND CALIFORNIA 41 National Guard 18

20910765 CARTER#GEORGE#D######### CALIFORNIA ALAMEDA OAKLAND CALIFORNIA 41 National Guard 08

20912628 FRANKS#GEORGE#M######### CALIFORNIA ALAMEDA OAKLAND CALIFORNIA 41 National Guard 17

20912631 HALLER#GEORGE#F######### CALIFORNIA ALAMEDA OAKLAND CALIFORNIA 41 National Guard 15

20912809 GUERREIRO#GEORGE######## CALIFORNIA ALAMEDA OAKLAND CALIFORNIA 41 National Guard 21

20913378 VILA#GEORGE#P########### CALIFORNIA ALAMEDA RICHMOND CALIFORNIA 41 National Guard 20

20915107 DAVIS#GEORGE#F########## CALIFORNIA ALAMEDA BERKELEY CALIFORNIA 41 National Guard 16

20901040 GEORGE#ELTON#F########## CALIFORNIA ALAMEDA OAKLAND CALIFORNIA 41 National Guard 00

20901052 KIGHT#GEORGE#A########## CALIFORNIA ALAMEDA OAKLAND CALIFORNIA 41 National Guard 22

20901063 HOLLAND#GEORGE#A#JR##### CALIFORNIA ALAMEDA OAKLAND CALIFORNIA 41 National Guard 18

20901072 MORRISON#GEORGE#G####### CALIFORNIA ALAMEDA OAKLAND CALIFORNIA 41 National Guard 20

20901089 EMERSON#GEORGE#I#JR##### CALIFORNIA ALAMEDA OAKLAND CALIFORNIA 41 National Guard 21

20901137 EMMERSON#GEORGE#A####### CALIFORNIA ALAMEDA OAKLAND CALIFORNIA 41 National Guard 08

20901204 FLANNERY#GEORGE#R####### CALIFORNIA ALAMEDA OAKLAND CALIFORNIA 41 National Guard 15

----------------------------
in this list nobody born in 1905/6..

also in all Alameda county, nothing; I used also the key by birthyears... as it is possible.... ? it is possible no enlistment for foreign person? or Brody is not the him surname...
however, almost in Italy, when a people from a town moving another town, needing of right request in Town Hall and to demonstrate that he have a job... so he can be a resident people... listed in resident's registry..........in USA.. maybe it was different... but this GB appearing in 1936.... possible that no document's request from authorities???
bye, raf

Hi Julessleuther, if the GB of 1941 article is the same GB in Oakland voter elections list, he was in Oakland in the WWII period.. also I believe that a german people cannot speak very well the english language, without german accent... Annasmom think that he was of USA... just my suggestion, bye, raf

In light of the other bizzare behavior to me, this is both interesting and also curious...

Actually, when I joined the forum, I thought he had assumed someone else's identity and all the references to being a boxer, having a well-to-do family, etc. were false. In my opinion, it is possible that we are on the wrong track checking boxing records, a family from the East (of the USA?) etc.

I could be wrong, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members