Mary Brady 37 Daughter
George Brady 32 Son (George L's father)
Louis Brady 30 Son
Joseph Brady 28 Son
Emma M Smith 14 Adopted daughter
Henry Lucy 19 Servant
Hugh McDermot 19 Servant
Patric Briom 28 Servant

Servants? Does this mean the family had $$$?

It looks like age 14 to me but I could be wrong. It sure is not very legible.
Hi KivaSupporter, yes looks like 14, but is 19 really:

1920 United States Federal Census
about George L Brady
Name: George L Brady
Home in 1920: Salem, Rockingham, New Hampshire
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1901

Birthplace: New Hampshire
Relation to Head of House: Son
Father's Name: George A
Father's Birth Place: New Hampshire
Mother's Name: Minnie
Mother's Birth Place: Massachusetts
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Sex: Male
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 535
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
George A Brady 52
Minnie Brady 48
George L Brady 19
Elizabeth Brady 1 9/12

:blowkiss: raf

Hi KivaSupporter, yes looks like 14, but is 19 really:

1920 United States Federal Census
about George L Brady
Name: George L Brady
Home in 1920: Salem, Rockingham, New Hampshire
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1901
Birthplace: New Hampshire
Relation to Head of House: Son
Father's Name: George A
Father's Birth Place: New Hampshire
Mother's Name: Minnie
Mother's Birth Place: Massachusetts
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Sex: Male
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 535
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
George A Brady 52
Minnie Brady 48
George L Brady 19
Elizabeth Brady 1 9/12

:blowkiss: raf

Raf, how could George L Brady be 19 yrs old in 1920 when the 1930 census shows him being 24 yrs old? I have to agree that 1920 listing is 14 yrs old.

Hi SherlockJr,

Where was it that you and I noticed Brody had written the initial 'L' as his middle name?
I have a mind blank!

it are so much George Brody, and also George Brady... and,

it is a George Louis Brady, (father born in Salem, NH-mother born in Providence, RI)
that is interesting for some thing..

GLB was born in Providence, RI the 18 Aug 1897; in some passport the birthdate is 10 August 1898...( but by RI births he was born the 18 August 1897) well, he lived in Providence and last trace is of 1937, single, no profession listed, abt a trip ( he made some trip, also 1 in Italy)..
after 1937 no more record; no WWII draft registration card, no SSDI...

but by WWI draft registration card, the eyes are blue and black hair.. no other data...
I found many data abt this person; but not the 1930 census and the WWII dfc....no SSDI....

someone can help for to find this lacking records? thanks, raf

Raf, how could George L Brady be 19 yrs old in 1920 when the 1930 census shows him being 24 yrs old? I have to agree that 1920 listing is 14 yrs old.
Sherlock, I have large experience in the ancestry.com finding .... and,
rarely, I found a people that declaring in different censuses the same birthyear...
I know not why, but it are possible so much explanations, but this is a usual and fatal error in the censuses...
the correct birthyear of GLB-Salem, NH must be 1905/6...
so also for GLB-Providence, RI
the error is resolved by birth database, when available, or by WWI -WWII drc and SSDI... the birthyears on censuses are only indicative; the most precise census, abt birthyear is of 1900; in this census it is rare the error abt birthdate....

when I insert the ancestry.com data, this meaning not that are right all, but, only what I find; normally, on the censuses, it are what the people declaring, and what ancestry.com transcribing (by reading, obviously, so transcribing becomevery subjective, because it depend from what they reading...) ...:)
raf

Sherlock, I have large experience in the ancestry.com finding .... and,
rarely, I found a people that declaring in different censuses the same birthyear...
I know not why, but it are possible so much explanations, but this is a usual and fatal error in the censuses...
the correct birthyear of GLB-Salem, NH must be 1905/6...
so also for GLB-Providence, RI
the error is resolved by birth database, when available, or by WWI -WWII drc and SSDI... the birthyears on censuses are only indicative; the most precise census, abt birthyear is of 1900; in this census it is rare the error abt birthdate....

when I insert the ancestry.com data, this meaning not that are right all, but, only what I find; normally, on the censuses, it are what the people declaring, and what ancestry.com transcribing (by reading, obviously, so transcribing becomevery subjective, because it depend from what they reading...) ...:)
raf

Raf, thanks for the explanation. Am I understanding that you are saying the 1920 census could be incorrect?

I have found a lot of information on the family of George A Brady, his son George L (Lewis) Brady. GLB left New Hampshire and moved to Massachusettes! :eek:

Here is the website.

http://www.nhdeeds.com/rock/web/start.htm

Go to the very bottom and agree to their terms. Another window will pop up, there you can type the name George Brady.

This George L. Brady was married to a Lucy Eleanor Brady during 1945 and was living in Brookline, MA. Would this mean he is not the same George Brody who was picketing in Berkeley in 1941?

He was a commissioner?

Moving into Massachusettes....

We have unclaimed funds for George Brady.

Name City/Town State $100+
BRADY, GEORGE TEWKSBURY MA Yes
BRADY, GEORGE CHELSEA MA Yes
BRADY, GEORGE CHICOPEE FALLS MA No
BRADY, GEORGE WOBURN MA No
BRADY, GEORGE WEST ROXBURY MA No
BRADY, GEORGE BOSTON MA No
BRADY, GEORGE BOSTON MA Yes
BRADY, GEORGE EAST WEYMOUTH MA No
BRADY, GEORGE BALDENVILLE MA No

Yep, they got to be related.....

http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=351562

Crime The Canonization of George Brady

Published On Monday, December 08, 1969 12:00 AM

By JOHN L. POWERS

"I'M GOING TO TELL, the true story unless I'm going to be killed," George Brady said a few weeks ago. "and they say I'm going to be killed."

Brady had just mad his triumphant return to Boston after a six year absence and his fears fortunately, are groundless. Kill George Brady? Bostonians would sooner kill Robin Hood. Brady was not apprehended for purposes of crucifixion, after he allegedly stole 8784,468 from the Mass. Parking Authority in 1963. He was apprehended so that he might, in the best James Michael Curley tradition, be ... canonized.

But behind every political saint, there must be a treasured legend, and Brady's begins back in the early 60, when he was chairman of the MPA. which was supervising the construction of the public garage underneath Boston Common.

It was a golden opportunity for a massive kickback scandal, since whichever construction company received the contract would, of course, be quite appreciative. In addition, the dirt that the company would have to dig up in order to build the garage would make good landfill, and as Massachusetts politicians would say, "there's many a slip between the cup and the state treasury's lip."

It was at this point allegedly that Brady jumped in. The garage was built, of course, but people discovered that almost $800,000 of the cost had gone back to Brady as a present from the construction company, and perhaps a few other sources. Brady was arrested, indicted on three counts of c???spiracy and larceny, and ordered to appear for a competency hearing to determine whether he was mentally capable of undergoing trial. Anyone, one understands. who tries to steal $800,000, must be somewhat deranged.

Brady never showed up. He fled to Atlantic City. N.J., and stayed there, or thereabouts for six years, quietly preparing for his career as Boston's second political saint. And on November 13, 1969, it happened.

A reporter for a Boston newspaper spotted him in a cheap Atlantic City hotel, and he was arrested soon after. He was wearing coveralls and a leather jacket, and was carrying $5744. which he attributed to three different sources at three different times. Brady clearly was getting off on the right foot.

Boston has a reputation deserved or not for politicians who act in their own best interests. But there is a spi?itual plat?au a level above pett?, ward-heeling thi? very, that is reached rarely if ever, by mere mortals. It is the mystique of James Michael Curley.

Brady, of course. never had the flair the dash that Curley had. but Curley never pulled off a one-shot deal of such magnitude as quite a few people feel that Brady might have. Even if one does not have a Curley-like charis?na the alleged the? of $800,000 can qualify one perhaps to sit on Curley's right hand in political heaven.

CURLEY, who served as Boston's mayor from 1914-1918, 22-26, and 30-34, was convicted for attempting to cheat the Civil Service Commission before he even began his political career. It turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to him.

"Sure, I went to jail." he told campaign audiences. "But I went to jail for a friend." Bostonians wept, loved it, and elected him. The state after a while, began to be drawn into the Curley way of doing things elected him as governor from 1935-37, and sent him to Congress on three occasions.

But Curiev still needed the big move the impressive maneuver in order to qualify for deification. In July, 1947, as Boston's mayor again, he pulled it off.

He was arrested once more, this time on a Federal charge of using the mails to defraud. Now, his credentials were impeccable. Sure, he went to jail, but the Massachusetts legislature voted to pay him the remainder of his $20.000 annual salary anyway.

"In or out of jail sick or hale." Time shrugged, "Jim Curley still seemed to have official Boston by the tail." Curley, clearly had been enshrined.

Brady obviously has quite a bit to live up to, but his alleged larceny may have given him a good start. And his statements to the press last month, upon his return showed that he has some claim for canonization.

"Brady says he really wasn't hiding from police." the Globe reported. "He was just waiting for someone to tell the true story behind the garage scandal." Evidently, Brady was the only one who knew exactly what the story was and upon his apprehension in Atlantic City, he expressed relief that he could return to Boston and "get things over with."

So Massachusetts prepared the papers necessary to waive rendition, a process that would only have delayed canonization. But Brady refused to sign them, claiming that since he had been legally declared incompetent by the state, his signature would be invalid. There was a week's wait, and then, Brady, styling himself as the innocent being led to the slaughter, came back to the scene of his alleged caper.

THERE WERE no ticker-tape parades for George Brady. There were no speeches by his friends at the State House. Canonization does not work that way in Boston. It is a narrative process, achieved by legendary stories handed down through the generations. I first learned about Curley at my grandmother's knee. Brady may have to take the same route.

But he has began his career properly, with the necessary modesty.

"Brady insists that he never shared in kickbacks from a construction company awarded the garage contract," the Globe explained, "but he says that he knows who received the money, and says he'll name every name. Beautiful, It is quite similar to Julius Caeser, where the Great Man thrice refused the kingly crow. "each time putting it by gentler."

"Brady has described the garage scandal, in which four men served jail terms as symbolic of the Massachusetts political situation," the Globe reported later. "He has maintained that the real thieves have not been apprehended."

It is almost certain. however, that even if Brady absorbs full blame for the theft, his punishment will be scant. He is almost too old to begin a jail term, and, one understands. it is unromantic to punish Robin Hood. Brad, quite obviously, does not have the money, and even if he knows its whereabouts, has a slim chance of getting to it. So at the very least, he deserves political canonization as compensation. And if Boston is to remain true to its tradition, it will recognize its duty, and provide it.

Resposting this if anyone with newspaper archives can look up this article. Also, could you be so kind to look up other articles in 1941 in Berkeley referencing picketing?

Here's one from the Oakland Tribune, Tuesday, July 15, 1941

No Peace Near
in Cafe Strike

Union Leaders and
Operators Fail to
Agree on Work Plan

Settlement of the labor dispute
which has closed 65 San Francisco
restaurants was as far away as ever
today, after employers rejected a
union peace proposal and submitted
a plan of their own.
A second dispute which prompted
the C.I.O. United Hotel Employees'
Local 440 to picket five San Francisco
hotels also bogged into a dead-
lock although a court injunction
withdrew the picket lines from four
of the hotels.
E. J. Shay, business agent of the
Hotel Employees' local, threatened
to spread the picketing to 30 or 35
other hotels in a jurisdictional complaint
with two A.F.L. unions,
which have one a five-year closed
shop contract with the hotel owners.
PLAN IS REJECTED
The employers' plan for re-opening
the restaurants was presented
today to the A.F.L. Culinary and
Bartenders' Union by Federal Conciliator
Andrew Gallagher.
The operators proposed immediate
re-opening of the restaurants under
former wage scales and working
conditions and resumption of contract
negotiations, but they rejected
a union plan which involved reimbursement
of employees for
wages and time lost while restaurants
were closed.
Almon E. Roth, president of the
Employers' Council which represents
the cafe operators, declared
that the employers had never contemplated
any permanent wage reductions.
Service was suspended after em-
ployees walked out in protest
against a 25 per cent wage cut and
lengthening of the work-week from
five days to six. Operators said they
took these steps to force the union
to bargain collectively for a master
contract.
"The employers reject the union's
proposal that employees be reimbursed
for wages and time lost
while restaurants are closed," Roth
declared. "The question of retroactive
pay would be one of the
items to be considered in negotiations,
in accordance with the customary
practice of collective bargaining."
65 CAFES CLOSED
The number of padlocked restaurants
reached 65 yesterday with
the closing of four more downtown
eating places.
The injunction restraining the
C.I.O. from picketing the hotels
was issued yesterday by Superior
Judge Elmer E. Robinson, after the
picket lines were extended to the
Senator and Cecil Hotels. The pickets
first appeared Sunday at the
Alexander Hamilton, Dalt and
Spaulding Hotels.
The pickets were withdrawn from
all but the Alexander Hamilton
Hotel, whose operators were not
parties to the injunction suit.
The hotels continued to operate
with staffs of members of the A.F.L.
Hotel Service Workers' Union.
Local 283, and the A.F.L. Apartment
and Hotel Employees' Union, Local
14, which had signed a joint contract
with the owners on June 26
covering 200 hotels and apartments.
Hotel managers insist the picketing
resulted from a jurisdictional
dispute, but the C.I.O. union charges
the hotels are paying low wages
and that the A.F.L. unions are at-
tempting to force the C.I.O. hotel
workers into the A.F.L.
Twelve hotels joined in the injunction
complaint, alleging the
union was carrying on a "malicious
conspiracy to gain control of hotel
service in San Francisco." They ask
a permanent injunction and $5000
damages for each of the hotel own-
ers. The injunction order is return-
able Friday before Superior Judge
Robert McWilliams.

Confusing, because there is an Elizabeth Brady in Vanderburgh and Marion, Indiana and an Elizabeth Brady in Suffolk, Massuchusetts. Which one is the right one, right? And is it Brady or Brody? :)

Do you think that there were any kind of credit checks etc done at any of the places George lived in San Francisco or Oakland?

Ok--I did a reverse address search for the Oakland address listed in the insurance info, and it comes up as a retirement home called Centers for Elders Independence. Here is their website:
http://cei.elders.org/index.html I can email them and see how long this place has been a retirement center, or if they have any history on this location...

Originally Posted by Annasmom
Here it is:

GEORGE BRODY, MARGARET KUKODA
Listings in San Francisco City Directory
(Taken from Joe Ford’s handwritten notes dated March 30, 1982)

1945-46: George Brody, 480 Ellis
(Brody not in 1948-49 Directory)
1951 George & Marian Brody clk. r. 1507 Cal
1953 Kukoda Margt nurse 1905 Fulton Apt. 5
(No listing for Brody in 1953)
1955-56: Brody Geo. r. 480 Ellis
1957: Margt. Kukoda, agt. for Stroll-O-Chair Display Co. h. 3009 Mission, Spt. 310
(No listing for Brody)
1958: Kukoda, Margt. M (Oriental & French Imports) r. 3019 Mission
1959: No listing for Brody, Kukoda or Mary Kay
1960: Mary E. Kay, 3141 Franklin, Apr. 4. No Kukoda, no Brody listed
1961: Mary Kay, r. 1006 Noe, Apt. 3
1962: Same listing
1963: Mary Kay, r. 1006 Noe, Apt. 3
1965: Not in directory
1966: Kay, Mary M. (widow of John) dir Beeline Fashion Home, h 1006 Noe.

Rent receipts for 1006 Noe St., Apt. 3, from July 7, 1966 to Jan. 10, 1967:
One dated 7-7-67 paid by Brody; all others paid by Mary Kay
Matthew H. Reyburn, owner of building, signed receipts.
Reyburn confirmed in talk to Joe Ford March 29, 1982, that Brody and “Mary Kay” were living together at that address since before he bought the building in 1962. Brody moved out shortly after “Mary Kay” died. Said MK had some sort of cosmetics business. He didn’t believe Brody worked anywhere. Rent was paid in cash. He said Mary Kay drove a Buick. He couldn’t remember ever seeing Brody drive.

A physician at San Francisco General Hospital says that as of Aug. 19, 1966, George Brody was visiting someone in Ward 34 named M. M. Kukoda, as well as a patient named Jessie Evans, 88 Sixth Street, Delta Hotel. Dr. Love was Kukoda’s physician. George Waters was an intern in charge of Kukoda and reported on her case to Brody, who had power of attorney for Kukoda. Physician said Brody was aged 55-60 at that time, was heavy-set, with grey hair.

In George Waters’ papers was an Occidental Life Insurance Company premium notice for Mary Kay, policy 4167942, addressed to Mary Kay at 1006 Noe. It was postmarked May 10, 1967 and had a due date of March 11, 1967. It had been forwarded to the Public Administrator at 1212 Market Street, San Francisco 94102, stamped received May 12, 1967. Brody’s name and the Otis Hotel Address was written on the back.

Margaret Kukoda died Aug. 30, 1967 at age 50.
The unclaimed property ($16,970.09) from Bank of America in Oakland, listed George Brody's address as 1955 San Pablo Avenue, Oakland.

Look here!

Household members:
John Brady 67
Hannah Brady 66
Mary Brady 37 Daughter
George Brady 32 Son (George L's father)
Louis Brady 30 Son
Joseph Brady 28 Son
Emma M Smith 14 Adopted daughter
Henry Lucy 19 Servant
Hugh McDermot 19 Servant
Patric Briom 28 Servant

Servants? Does this mean the family had $$$?

I have just got off the phone with an elderly man living in Tampa, Florida who knew this George Brady. He told me he was a "colorful guy". George Brady's father and uncle had a lumber business in Maine which was their fortune. A wealthy family. He never knew what ever happened to him and many people are looking for him. He supposedly was on a national "wanted" list for stealing money from the city. See newspaper article previously posted about this guy.

We have the help from someone who works at the Boston Globe who is going to look for pics of George Brady. With this information, we can try to determine if he's our guy. I'll post as soon as I hear back from our assistant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay