GUILTY WI - Bart, 50, and Krista Halderson, 53, found deceased, Windsor, 1 Jul 2021 *son arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Andrew Havranek on Twitter
Court doc continues, saying detectives talked with Halderson’s girlfriend, her mother, and mother’s girlfriend, identified as CAL. CAL told detectives Chandler showed up in his dad’s Subaru on July 5 around 5:30 pm. He told her he was having issues reading words and numbers
12:57 PM · Jul 15, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

He then asked if he could go swimming in their pool. CAL told detectives he walked out to the pool and was gone for 1-1.5 hours. He returned, dry, and the pool cover hadn’t been removed. She saw the Subaru near a shed on the property with the hatchback open.

CAL also told detectives she then saw Chandler around the shed, and then washing off in the pool. On July 8, detectives searched CAL’s property.

While walking near the shed, detectives say they saw a small “mound” covered with foliage, sticks and leaves. That’s when they found the torso of Bart Halderson. Autopsy reports confirmed his identity.

The court documents also outline “Unsolicited Comments/Spontaneous Utterances” by Chandler during an interview. Detectives say he said “what if I want to tell you everything with an attorney there to guide me.” Also, “you don’t know the whole story.”

Detectives say while completing the booking questionnaire, Chandler was asked if he was suicidal. Detectives say his response to that was he “didn’t feel bad about what I did.”

Detectives say the autopsy of Bart Halderson’s torso showed skin discoloration, and a gunshot wound under his right rib cage, and the wound was not consistent with a suicidal pattern.
I wonder why the police didn’t let him tell them everything, like he asked?

I recommend everyone reads the 14 page criminal complaint. While the reporter’s Twitter summary is fascinating, he leaves quite a bit out. I will look for a link with all pages in one place, though I imagine if that were available, PommyMommy would have found it.

Thanks for sharing your perspective with us, @doyoulovemepfg. I imagine it will turn out you are right about this young man’s defense. His frequent mentioning of his concussion in the criminal complaint had me wondering… you cleared that up. I’m glad MH has a good support system.

I also dislike, but understand the need for, initials. I struggle to keep them straight, though I do better with three initials. Unfortunately (for me) we don’t tend to use three unless it’s for clarification. :(

JUL 15, 2021
Wisconsin man charged in death of his father; new human remains found
[...]

"The defendant has taken steps to both destroy and conceal evidence, including human remains that were dismembered," prosecutor Andrea Raymond said. "Because of the vast steps that this defendant has undertaken to hide his crimes and the broad spectrum of lies police have uncovered, there is substantial concerns about his willingness to come to court."

[...]

According to a criminal complaint released Thursday, a police officer reported portions of flooring and drywall had been removed when he visited the family's home.

His parents' cars were also at the home.

[...]

A witness told police she saw Chandler Halderson back a car near the wood line of her property and later saw vultures circling above.

[...]

Additional human remains were found Wednesday in connection with the search for her in on DNR land near Sauk City.

[...]

His next court appearance was scheduled for July 28.

[...]

Also, I wonder how LE heard about CH’s friend that brought him the rifle. That person is definitely making it sound like a gift rather than a sale. But at least they gave information to LE.
He talked about the rifle multiple times with CL, who has a shooting range or targets(?) on her property. I think CM might have met the friend too while he was in town.

He talked about the rifle multiple times with CL, who has a shooting range or targets(?) on her property. I think CM might have met the friend too while he was in town.

Was it him that was part of the shooting club in college or high school? I saw that somewhere (I think in the criminal complaint). I wonder if that friend was from that time since he didn't live in the area? I found it suspicious he told LE there was no guns or just one and then later someone mentioned they had a gun safe full of guns.

I wonder when he had a concussion and how serious was it? There were several references in the criminal complaint that he stated he had difficulties reading and driving distances due to his concussion.
That's what I was wondering. He did so well in sports, etc. When did this happen? It sounds like it contributed to his thinking process.

Was it him that was part of the shooting club in college or high school? I saw that somewhere (I think in the criminal complaint). I wonder if that friend was from that time since he didn't live in the area? I found it suspicious he told LE there was no guns or just one and then later someone mentioned they had a gun safe full of guns.
Yes. CM said he was in the shooting club in college, but I don't see anything like that affiliated with Madison College existing. CM was also the one that mentioned the gun safe.

Reading the full complaint... Chandler definitely was acting strange. The GF (CAL) of his GF (CMM)'s mother (DM) stated CH came over and asked to use the pool, but came back an hour later and was not wet and the pool cover was still on. He then was spotted by CAL on the edge of the woods. He was then seen swimming and at one point was asked if he was okay. He said no he was getting lost a lot and that he was having trouble reading words and numbers. But was okay to drive. (page 5)

IMO he's either good a acting, really had a concussion, or he's having a mental break. at this point.

Later in the complaint after the remains were found and he was interviewed again. He invoked his right to a lawyer, but then stated on the way to booking, "I want to tell you everything." But since he invoked the lawyer he was advised the detective couldn't talk to him any more. He then kept saying he wanted to tell everything. At one point saying he "didn't feel bad about what happened" and "you don't know the whole story" (page 9 of the complaint)

Also, interesting a HVAC (heating, ventilation, a/c) came to give a quote on July 7th that Bart had requested a quote. CH showed up but then when they walked up to the house with the dogs barking paused so long the repairman asked if they should reschedule which they did. As he was outside the house noted a dryer/vent that was covered in tape which if was a gas dryer causes CO poisonings, but he knew of CH's parent's missing and recent news thought it was very odd.

such a strange thing so far

Also, I wonder how LE heard about CH’s friend that brought him the rifle. That person is definitely making it sound like a gift rather than a sale. But at least they gave information to LE.

The complaint says he asked CAL if he could come practice on the target range they had. CH stated he had a rifle he could bring and it sounded foreign/big. CAL said it was to big for their target.

Dectives talked to CMM (CH's GF) and asked if he talked about firearms. She mentioned a friend had given him one when he visited from Kansas. They interviewed him and he told them about it. (https://twitter.com/Andrew_Havranek/status/1415755743999971328/photo/3)

Attachments

• WI vs C Halderson Criminal Complaint 7.15.21.pdf
    278.7 KB · Views: 42
The complaint says he asked CAL if he could come practice on the target range they had. CH stated he had a rifle he could bring and it sounded foreign/big. CAL said it was to big for their target.

Dectives talked to CMM (CH's GF) and asked if he talked about firearms. She mentioned a friend had given him one when he visited from Kansas. They interviewed him and he told them about it. (https://twitter.com/Andrew_Havranek/status/1415755743999971328/photo/3)
Thanks for reminding me of that; I had completely forgotten that part (obviously :oops:).

Per the complaint, AJS "...came to visit Chandler from Kansas, for the first time on June 12, 2021 and left on June 13, 2021." Is that the first time AJS came to Wisconsin, or the first time he met Chandler?

I cannot read the small print on the criminal complaint pages and I do not have an iphone. Could someone please explain what it said about his concussion? Thank you.

"Chandler said he has only driven to the east side of Madison to his CMM’s house, and one other trip to the Sun Prairie area. Chandler said he hasn't driven anywhere else as his concussion symptoms prevent him from driving too far. Chandler also told Det. Shunk he had remembered assisting his mom with packing her medications on Thursday, July 1."
page 3

Only time it was mentioned specifically.

"Beginning at 5:30 PM, Chandler showed up there at the property (in the 3500 block of Earlwyn Rd.), with the blue Subaru Outback, on Monday, July 5, 2021. She spoke to him, as he stood outside; she asked if he was ok, and he said he was not ok. Chandler said to her he was having problems reading word and numbers. She asked him if he was ok to be driving, and he said he was getting lost a lot, but otherwise, he was ok to drive. Chandler asked to go swimming (at their pool on the property), and she said yes."

Is the other thing he mentioned that could be taken as a concussion.

"Chandler said he has only driven to the east side of Madison to his CMM’s house, and one other trip to the Sun Prairie area. Chandler said he hasn't driven anywhere else as his concussion symptoms prevent him from driving too far. Chandler also told Det. Shunk he had remembered assisting his mom with packing her medications on Thursday, July 1."
page 3

Only time it was mentioned specifically.

"Beginning at 5:30 PM, Chandler showed up there at the property (in the 3500 block of Earlwyn Rd.), with the blue Subaru Outback, on Monday, July 5, 2021. She spoke to him, as he stood outside; she asked if he was ok, and he said he was not ok. Chandler said to her he was having problems reading word and numbers. She asked him if he was ok to be driving, and he said he was getting lost a lot, but otherwise, he was ok to drive. Chandler asked to go swimming (at their pool on the property), and she said yes."

Is the other thing he mentioned that could be taken as a concussion.
Thank You! I wonder if his concussion was documented anywhere and if he really had one. Sometimes when people have concussions they develop manic depression and that can cause them to commit violent acts unless medicated. On the other hand people who are on antidepressants have committed suicide and violent acts. It sounds like something this drastic happened to him. I assume his brother can contribute to his behavior before this happened.

Thank You! I wonder if his concussion was documented anywhere and if he really had one. Sometimes when people have concussions they develop manic depression and that can cause them to commit violent acts unless medicated. On the other hand people who are on antidepressants have committed suicide and violent acts. It sounds like something this drastic happened to him. I assume his brother can contribute to his behavior before this happened.
CL was apparently aware he had a concussion when he went to her house on 7/5.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back