GUILTY WI - Dr. Beth Potter and husband murdered at UW Arboretum, Madison, March 2020 *Arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
That’s exactly how I feel. Too many excuses these days. On that topic, I am curious to see why Miriam has not been charged.

I think Accessory Before the Fact or Accessory After the Fact type charges need direct involvement in such as obtaining items to commit the crime, or say, directly concealing evidence.

Simply advocating that a crime be committed or lying to the police after a crime has been committed do not seem to be chargeable actions on a day to day basis.

Not wanting to go down a possibly meaningless rabbit hole, but......

Our judicial system started out as a blend of Common Law and Roman Law judicial philosophies. But... since the 1950s, Common Law concepts have been phased out and we are almost entirely Roman Law today.

Common Law has concepts like "Members of this community just don't do "X"- period (say, entice people to rob your parents). Roman Law, however, is based on: Actions that are unlawful are written down as such. If the action is not identified as unlawful, then it is lawful- no middle ground.

In past generations, the Common Law influence might have led to prosecutors holding say that: "Informing a criminal that your parents have "bands of cash" constitutes the Roman Law crime of "Accessory before the Fact" and charged her.

But..... as Common Law concepts have faded out, there is nothing in the Roman Law that forbids people from identifying wealthy people. Thus, Miriam is not chargeable today.

As a side note, Napoleonic law also has a concept of "Citizens have a legal obligation to act responsibly" that allows for indirect criminal charges (Ok-no direct law against it, but....responsible citizens just don't tell criminals that person "p" is wealthy).

In the end, however, we are Roman Law and not Common Law nor Napoleonic law. And, if it is not indentified as unlawful, its...... lawful.

Last edited:
I am happy to hear of the plea. I can only hope it leads to more answers. I continue to be unsettled about Beth's murder and pray that ALL responsible pay for this heinous crime. I stop by at least once a week to visit their memorial tree in Beth's (my) hometown.

As well as giving Miriam a loving home, a good education, etc, etc, and indulging her and her boyfriend in so many ways, IIRC they were also helping her to reconnect with her birth family. She didn't necessarily have to repay them for that, so I'm not going to say "And look how she repaid them!" But I truly hope she now feels some regret and repentance, even sorrow for their passing.

Khari’s lawyer wants out;

Attorney for double homicide suspect requests withdrawal from case

Probably could not get Khari to cop a plea and doesn’t want to be part of the impending fiasco.
But in reality, even in a plea, a judge would have to give ol’ Khari at least 25 to life, times 2.

So, Khari may figure “let’s roll the dice and see what a jury says. The jury can’t give me anything worse than 25 to life, any way”.

Khari’s lawyer wants out;

Attorney for double homicide suspect requests withdrawal from case

Probably could not get Khari to cop a plea and doesn’t want to be part of the impending fiasco.
But in reality, even in a plea, a judge would have to give ol’ Khari at least 25 to life, times 2.

So, Khari may figure “let’s roll the dice and see what a jury says. The jury can’t give me anything worse than 25 to life, any way”.
Wow, "relationship irreparably damaged" it says - does that sound like a failure to agree, or something more acrimonious, do you think?

Khari’ s ego was really puffed up by local politicians to believe he was some genius headed for a political career. He probably takes no advice. He probably has convinced himself that he is a victim, some kind of political prisoner.

Remember he shared a photo of himself on FB holding a gun and made comments about how he would be “policing the police.” He had already beaten one charge ...having received a deferred prosecution in an auto theft case, according to Wisconsin court records.

He pr0bably thinks of himself as a martyr...
Sanford wrote on Facebook just before the killings, “we gon change this world, cause it’s time to let our diversity and youth shine over all oppressive systems and rebuild our democracy✊??.”

Obeying Covid protocols was probably his idea of an oppressive system. The Potter-Carries represented evil authority figures in that oppressive system and he and Miriam no doubt felt entitled to relieve them of their hard-earned wealth and their lives.

I would bet he wants attorneys to argue his genius, righteousness and entitlement.

Khari’ s ego was really puffed up by local politicians to believe he was some genius headed for a political career. He probably takes no advice. He probably has convinced himself that he is a victim, some kind of political prisoner.

Remember he shared a photo of himself on FB holding a gun and made comments about how he would be “policing the police.” He had already beaten one charge ...having received a deferred prosecution in an auto theft case, according to Wisconsin court records.

He pr0bably thinks of himself as a martyr...
Sanford wrote on Facebook just before the killings, “we gon change this world, cause it’s time to let our diversity and youth shine over all oppressive systems and rebuild our democracy✊??.”

Obeying Covid protocols was probably his idea of an oppressive system. The Potter-Carries represented evil authority figures in that oppressive system and he and Miriam no doubt felt entitled to relieve them of their hard-earned wealth and their lives.

I would bet he wants attorneys to argue his genius, righteousness and entitlement.

Wow! You done jes said a mouthful!

This article gives a little bit more detail.
Defense attorneys withdraw from UW Arboretum killings trial

"The defense attorneys say the conflict is was due to something Sanford did or said, which was not specified and also because he had filed a complaint against them with the state Office of Lawyer Regulation."

Khari really is his own worst enemy.

He's just determined not to cooperate, isn't he? I imagine he'll insist on testifying in court, and I doubt that will impress or convince anyone. What an ego that young man must have! And to file a complaint against his attorneys - how dare anyone tell him what to do!

I wonder if there wasn’t an additional source of anger that fueled this violence. Earlier we discussed Khari’s FB postings and his anger at being placed in foster care instead of with his Mother. He posted lovingly of his Mother although there were very valid reasons for his removal for his protection. As I recall, there was an episode with one of her many boyfriends which resulted in the removal. I do know it’s earlier discussed in the thread.

Recently we have learned that Miriam was reaching out to her birth family and the Potter-Carre’s were facilitating that connection. I wonder if her interest in her “real” family began escalating when her relationship with Khari intensified.

Khari seems to have been styling himself like some kind of prodigy philosopher. I wonder if he didn’t convince her that they had been victims of an oppressive system that had stolen them from their equally oppressed “real” families. That could have been very effective in alienating Miriam from her adopted parents.

This problem with the defense attorneys could fit in with a mindset like that. Khari thinks that HE is the victim. He was trying to liberate himself and Miriam from this oppressive system that now has him in its clutches. Do I know for sure, no...but this young man has quite an elevated opinion of himself and his mission in the world.

Question...these two attorneys are very experienced criminal defense attorneys. Who was paying for them? Were they pro Bono...or are some of his local Politician friends paying for private attorneys?

Good question. Maybe his foster parents? His friends in high places who thought he was so wonderful? And what about Larrue - shouldn't think his family would be paying? Maybe Miriam has promised to pay when she inherits?

I doubt the Foster parents are paying for anything. They seem to have washed their hands of him after he stole their car. IMO, if these attorneys are not court appointed, I agree with your thought that it’s his ‘friends in high places.”

I bet Larrue has gotten no extra help though. He doesn’t seem to have had ‘friends in high places.’ Initially, on FB there was a lot of sympathy from certain locals for Khari, the once golden boy. Miriam’s comfortable life was never interrupted and friends of the family offered sympathy for her ‘loss.’

Larrue however has been left pretty much on his own...nobody’s ‘golden child.’

"The defense attorneys say the conflict is was due to something Sanford did or said, which was not specified and also because he had filed a complaint against them with the state Office of Lawyer Regulation."

I have been trying to think what Khari could possibly have said or done - maybe he swore at them? maybe threatened them? threw something at them? spat at them? several of these things? repeatedly?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildandfree
Back