Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #40

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps Jayme’s closest relatives also require PTSD therapy after what they have been through? Is anyone guiding THEM? There’s a large extended family on both sides, with cousins who spoke out as well. I don’t wish to bash the family but it’s possible some members got so used to social media interaction (and attention) that it’s hard to just end the communications.

I'm fairly certain that the Jacob Wetterling Resource Center has reached out to them. It was in the news in the day or two after Jayme was found. I can't imagine that the family would reject that assistance with all their expertise.

Holy smokes...:oops:

"Knoxville's Truckster" brings Christmas to Jayme Closs
View attachment 164817

The Wisconsin teenager, Jayme Closs, whose parents had been killed and was missing for nearly three months, did not celebrate Christmas last year.

A Knoxville staple made the 1,400-mile trip to bring Christmas to her and her whole community. David Moore had driven his car that he calls "Knoxville's Truckster," a tribute to the film Christmas Vacation, to Closs's home town Barron, Wisconsin.

Moore brought gifts for Closs, her family, school and rescue crews. He brought with him things such as handmade quilts, crosses, stuffed animals and University of Tennessee sweatshirts and hats.

Moore says he felt called by God to make the trip and he's there to represent East Tennessee. He said he plans to stay for a few days.

Love that he included the community. That will help Jayme in the long run. They are part of her healing instead of the sole focus on her.

Holy smokes...:oops:

"Knoxville's Truckster" brings Christmas to Jayme Closs
View attachment 164817

The Wisconsin teenager, Jayme Closs, whose parents had been killed and was missing for nearly three months, did not celebrate Christmas last year.

A Knoxville staple made the 1,400-mile trip to bring Christmas to her and her whole community. David Moore had driven his car that he calls "Knoxville's Truckster," a tribute to the film Christmas Vacation, to Closs's home town Barron, Wisconsin.

Moore brought gifts for Closs, her family, school and rescue crews. He brought with him things such as handmade quilts, crosses, stuffed animals and University of Tennessee sweatshirts and hats.

Moore says he felt called by God to make the trip and he's there to represent East Tennessee. He said he plans to stay for a few days.
The truly amazing part of this story is that this car made it from Knoxville to Barron. :eek:

“Nobody ever lost a dollar by underestimating the taste of the American public.”
― P.T. Barnum

I think the greater long-term concern than t-shirt vendors will be how well prepared both Jayme and her fellow students will handle all this when she returns to school. I'm going to imagine that there are social workers already on this.

How Jayme Closs' School District Is Preparing for Her Return: ‘There’s No Manual For This’

Diane Tremblay plans to talk to every student in the school district before Jayme Closs returns to school.

I have a feeling kids aren’t going to know what to say,” Tremblay, superintendent of the Barron Area School District tells PEOPLE. “Kids are kids. There are things that probably shouldn’t be said. We probably need to tell them that.”

I was reading up on Jaycee Dugard and found this statement interesting and maybe relevant in this case.

Dugard: "The phrase [Stockholm Syndrome] implies that hostages cracked by terror and abuse become affectionate towards their captors." "Well it's, really, it's degrading, you know, having my family believe that I was in love with this captor and wanted to stay with him. I mean, that is so far from the truth that it makes me want to throw up. ... I adapted to survive my circumstance." said Dugard. Repeatedly during this segment of the interview she states that, as a way to survive, and hoping to end abuse, many victims are forced to sympathize with their captors.

Source: Wikipedia and Jaycee Dugard Part 2: Why She Wants to Change How People View Victims, ABC News, Youtube.

I think her case might work out for her. She appears smiling in photos. Nobody has put any blame on her for anything she did. She did everything right. She was left alone only twice and escaped the 2nd time, realizing that she had the chance. She's suddenly popular, but I kind of think it's better than having nobody at all talk about what you went through. Everyone is being nice to her. That wasn't the case with Elizabeth Smart. Many people blamed her for not escaping sooner. I don't think the loss of her parents has really hit hardest yet though.

Respectful correction: we/public only heard about 2 or so times she was left alone. I would bet he left the house many other times too.

I wonder what the plan for returning is. I kinda hope she doesn't go back until the Fall, that maybe she can be tutored at home for the rest of 8th? grade. But maybe that's not the best thing for her, I dunno. She might feel isolated then.
Egads. I should read slower. At first glance, I thought "tutored" was "tortured"! Let's not do that! :mad:

I do believe it's been reported that she would like to return to school. I hope they have some protocol in place for the insensitive bully types. Like expulsion.

When Jacob Wetterling was kidnapped in 1989, there were Jacob’s Hope buttons. Songs written . There may have been tee shirts. I do not recall.

The Jacob Wetterling Resource Center gets donations and grant money.

How much is a therapist per hour?

What other changes will she need? Waiting for a school bus? I doubt that will ever happen again.

Jayme may have been said to be shy . What kind of person can survive that? Not some weak one. No way.

Whatever she has inside of her is because of the love she was surrounded with. Her core is strong.

How she will handle her fame and relationships with peers will be a challenge.

There are people such as Jaycee or Elizabeth to guide her.

She is known world wide and changes will be made because of what happened to her.

Even where I live where everyone is related somehow and there has never been a kidnapping, children can only leave school with an authorized person.

We shall see what her experience does to change things.

I understand what you mean by not being able to use that particular mental disorder as a defense, but just to clarify all of the Personality Disorders are Mental Illnesses. Disorder is just the preferred term as opposed to "illness."
But in terms of the legal definition of insanity, or knowing right from wrong, it would not apply.
Most psychopaths know right from wrong, they just don't care. Imo

They were not considered mental illness for a long time, as they were considered to be part of the personality, but now they are understood to be a form of mental illness, and in some forms, developmental disorders and trauma and stress disorders.

A couple of quibbles. The house was messy and cluttered, but I don't consider it squalor, from the pictures anyway. It's not his house, and he seems to have simply lived among his family's left-behind belongings exactly as they left them. I didn't see garbage around the inside of the house, piles of dirty dishes, etc. (though perhaps I just couldn't see it in the pictures) which for me, would constitute squalor. I wouldn't live like that, but I'm not seeing a hoarding situation or a trashed-out house.

Also, I don't believe his family has said there was nothing amiss with him. The only comment that I've read so far is the grandfather saying he was quiet and liked video games. As far as I know, neither parent has spoken of him.

Agreed.

As @Gitana said (sorry, I haven’t worked out how to quote multiple posts), we’re here in part because we want to understand the why.

So I get that we are discussing how he could have become this ‘monster’.

I, too, don’t believe his parents have said they “never saw anything amiss with their kid”.

It’s possible some poor parenting was involved. It’s equally possible they were decent human beings doing their best. It’s likely, IMO, they saw traits that worried them (not that he would kill or kidnap, but worrying nonetheless). It’s also likely IMO they sought help for him along the way.

It can be a difficult, expensive and sometimes futile pathway trying to get the right help for an odd child. It puts strain on marriages, on finances, on parents’ own health and ability to cope (even with, for example, brushing the yard or clearing out the junk).

As another poster said, nobody wants their kid to turn out this way.

Per (JC) suspect reportedly applied for job, labeled himself an ‘honest guy,’ the day teen escaped [Fox News (online) by Elizabeth Zwirz, published 1/17/2019]

"(JC’s) alleged kidnapper (JP) submitted an online job application to a Wisconsin liquor business the same day the 13-year-old escaped from capture."

Hopefully those investigating this case are savvy enough to IP trace the traffic that generated this application. I imagine it might have come from an address in Haugen on January 10, the day JC escaped, as he indicated traveling there per the police complaint (pg 11/12). It seems investigators would do whatever they could to review evidence on any computer JP may have touched.

. . . That wasn't the case with Elizabeth Smart. Many people blamed her for not escaping sooner. . .
I agree that Jayme will recover fairly well. Since Elizabeth's plight, there have been many advances in medical science, PSTD, treatments and therapies, etc. with regard to trauma victims. There are still many variables at play - individual traits, type, timing and frequency of therapy etc. I can't imagine anyone in this day and age blaming Jayme for even a microscopic piece if her ordeal.

Last edited:
Case against Jayme's suspected kidnapper complicated despite 'I did it'

Case against Jayme's suspected kidnapper complicated despite 'I did it'

IssuesBrandt Williams · Minneapolis · Jan 18, 2018

Jake Patterson's admission to police that he killed James and Denise Closs and kidnapped their 13-year-old daughter Jayme sets up an interesting legal case. Twin Cities defense attorneys and a former prosecutor said even with a confession it's not an open-and-shut case.

The lawyers based their comments about the Patterson case on what has been reported by news media or is otherwise in the public domain. They have no inside knowledge about the matter. However, the attorneys had a good idea of the options available to both prosecutors and defenders.

<modsnipped to comply with copyright 10% rule>

Last edited by a moderator:
Per (JC) suspect reportedly applied for job, labeled himself an ‘honest guy,’ the day teen escaped [Fox News (online) by Elizabeth Zwirz, published 1/17/2019]

"(JC’s) alleged kidnapper (JP) submitted an online job application to a Wisconsin liquor business the same day the 13-year-old escaped from capture."

Hopefully those investigating this case are savvy enough to IP trace the traffic that generated this application. I imagine it might have come from an address in Haugen on January 10, the day JC escaped, as he indicated traveling there per the police complaint (pg 11/12). It seems investigators would do whatever they could to review evidence on any computer JP may have touched.
Something tells me that he may not get that job.

I know exactly what you're saying. She loves her aunt and uncle. This kid had a really great family. Her parents are gone, but she still has the rest of her great family.
She needs to be allowed to feel safe with them and create her new normal without interference of strangers. That's not happening at all. Even strangers with the best of intentions are still just strangers to Jayme. She's suddenly famous. Everyone knows her, but she doesn't know them. The worst situation in the world for a child abducted by a stranger that killed her parents and held against her will for 3 months to capture the attention of millions of strangers.
IMO.
As tragic as it all is, another bad-turned-to-good element is the fact that this part of her family also lost the same family members. So, while the relationship of those lost are different for each family member, they are all healing from some parts of the same tragedy. Jayme clearly will have more to overcome, but at least she is with family members who are also grieving. Hopefully, they can help each other and possibly even get some family group therapy. Imagine if Denise and James had no extended family themselves and Jayme had to live with a distant relative or someone else who couldn't really relate to her.

Last edited:
I am not a verified expert, but I have dealt extensively with childhood trauma treatment. Every adult or child is unique and treatment for traumatic events can depend on many factors of the victim such as the age, physical health, emotional health, familial relationship, etc at the time the event occurred. Although there is not a set of fast/hard rules to follow in the recovery process there are basic guidelines and general ideas and timelines of behavioral reactions and progression, again, depending on the type of trauma.

Jayme is a bit unique in that she is a trauma victim herself of kidnapping, captivity and probably SA, but she also witnessed the death of her mother and father. Parents are typically the main caregivers on the road to childhood trauma recovery. She is experiencing her own pain and grief for actions perpetrated against her, but also dealing with the death and grieving the loss of her parents which is another trauma in and of itself.

The great news, Jayme has a strong support system already in place. She's had a very close bond with her Aunt Jen (as she was a caregiver of Jayme's previously) and extended family so she's already got an instinctual bonding factor in place.

There is no doubt that her family is receiving expert physical and mental health advise on exactly how best to move forward. Jayme has shown strength and an extreme will to live which is a huge indicator to me. With the love and support she has from her family and community, I'm sure she is in as good as a position or better for overcoming and thriving in the future as any other survivor I'm followed.

Here's some articles from reliable sources that details at a high level some of the things I mentioned. Again, JMO, IMO Only

Emotional and Psychological Trauma

Recovering from Trauma

Healing from a Traumatic Event Takes Time

... I can't imagine anyone in this day and age blaming Jayme for even a microscopic piece if her ordeal.
I'm glad you can't imagine it, but it is real, exists in person and remains for all eternity in screen after screen of forum postings and social media news shares/comments/etc. The black-heartedest of conspiracy theorists and anonymous online-abusers will and have done their worst in online venues I will not name.

Please- if anyone comes across comments and forum posts online that further victimize JC through vile speculation or other types of harassment/libel, report those statements to the sponsoring organization as per user agreement violation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SapphireGem