Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #42

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read many accounts of perps who make deals and plead out if their sex crimes, especially those done to children, are not charged. It seems that prison is much harder for pedophiles. Their fellow inmates even have a name for them but I forgot it. Someone here will know!

I believe the name is "cho-mo's", short for "child molesters". Source: Law & Order SVU. The show also really implies it happens a LOT (that they are attacked by other inmates if they are known to be child molestors). I've heard many times that it's mostly a myth in real life. Who knows. Sure won't be sad if an inmate attacks Jake Patterson regardless of his "known status" in that regard. I'll be even less sad if he's attacked many times, by many inmates, and spends the rest of his life in great fear, always looking over his shoulder.

No. That aspect would be the last thing he would brag about.

If he’s like most other criminals, to include serial killers, this is something that he would emphatically deny.

We got a taste of this in the charging document, when he and Jayme each discussed her possible escape attempts.

She said that he hit him on her back. He said that he yelled and hit the wall (IIRC).

Even this part he is denying, which jibes with what I expect him to do in regards to other, far more grotesque acts.

I think it's possible that he did hit the wall and yell and Jayme to scare her at various times when he was angry. I don't believe that would preclude the hitting her on the back.
His account of the hitting on the back may be in the sealed documents. We don't know whether he's told about it or not, IMO.

Edited to say- I AM NOT DEFENDING HIM EVER IN ANY WAY. It's just that she may have first recalled and easily related him hitting her on her back with the cleaning tool but not the yelling and wall hitting behavior, and he may have first remembered multiple times when he hit the wall and yelled at her to scare her, as this may have been a big performance of intimidation to him.

Also, he told so very much to police that we do know about from the Criminal Complaint doc., but he never says anything remotely like " Taking her was a mistake". Instead, he describes how he taped her up and dragged her to his car.
He told about her having wet clothing, him forcing her to remove all of them, thus probably invoking absolute terror and defenselessness due to standing naked in front of the man who has killed her parents and taken her hostage soon after entering the house, and about keeping her underneath his bed with weights and storage boxes to keep her in place. He's a braggart and if he has an outlet, I'm afraid he will continue to brag in ways that will hurt Jayme again.

IMO, he's twisted enough to be boastful about every detail, in HIS words and from HIS perspective, of course.
Other killers who had child victims have talked. Dennis Rader is probably the example most people will remember. He talked about aspects of his crimes to police for days and days. He was talking to John Douglas as late as 2013 in an interview about the crimes and he was already in prison, serving a life sentence without parole. I'm sure there are others who have talked about kidnapping, torturing, or killing children, but BTK is the one I recall as some of the talking he's done is fairly recent. ( His two youngest victims were a boy and girl from the Otero family murders in the 70's. One was 9, the other was 11 ). Source: Wikipedia list of BTK victims

JP may or may not try to release any info to the press or public through whatever means are available if he's found guilty, which I believe he will be, or if he gets off on a technicality or other anomaly in the long process to trial or during the trial, which could be months to a year or so from now. I have no way to know, but usually the defense will delay as long as possible, call experts, and so forth.

Jayme deserves peace to heal one day at a time without more press coverage.
I hope she is given this by the press, the public, and most of all, the psychopath who killed her parents and abducted her.

I know we all hope he stays quiet.
Respectfully to all, IMO. :cool:

Last edited:
I think it's possible that he did hit the wall and yell and Jayme to scare her at various times when he was angry. I don't believe that would preclude the hitting her on the back.
His account of the hitting on the back may be in the sealed documents. We don't know whether he's told about it or not, IMO.

Also, he told so very much to police that we do know about from the Criminal Complaint doc., but he never says anything like " Taking her was a mistake". Instead, he describes how he taped her up and dragged her to his car.
He told about her having wet clothing, him forcing her to remove all of them, and about keeping her underneath his bed with weights and storage boxes to keep her in place.

IMO, he's twisted enough to be boastful about every detail, in HIS words and from HIS perspective, of course.
Other killers who had child victims have talked. Dennis Rader was talking to John Douglas as late as 2013 in an interview about the crimes and he was already in prison, serving a life sentence without parole. I'm sure there are others who have talked about kidnapping, torturing, or killing children, but BTK is the one I recall as some of the talking he's done is fairly recent. ( His two youngest victims were a boy and girl from the Otero family murders in the 70's. One was 9, the other was 11 )

My conclusion is that he may or may not try to release any info to the press or public through whatever means are available if he's found guilty, which I believe he will be.
At this point in time, with what is known about how he talked and talked and talked to police already, he likely had a lot to say about the 88 days he held her captive before her remarkably brave escape.
What he doesn't know yet, probably, is that this part is being left off from criminal proceedings to spare Jayme from testifying via video or other means.

I know we all hope he stays quiet.
Respectfully to all, IMO. :cool:
Yes, I’ve read that book.

We’re talking about different people, and different circumstances.

We’re also talking about a prototypical organized serial killer in one case, and a guy who committed an unprecedented crime in the other.

BTK killed those people for sexual gratification. JP may have done it out of practicality. We just don’t know.

I think he will continue to brag about the murders, but not what came next.

I think it's wonderful that the records of what happened while Jayme was in the Patterson house will not be released.

Maybe because I did listen to some of the things the late Ted Bundy said on Netflix, it causes me to wonder: What will keep Jake Patterson from telling HIS version of what happened during that time to a reporter? And if they won't come to the prison, what can keep him from writing it down and sending it to multiple news outlets?
I ask this with great loathing regarding the possibility of something he does from prison hurting Jayme more.

Given we do not know much about Jake nor his relationship with his parents and siblings I think it may be possible he may not want to "go there" to protect himself and the rest of the family from further "shame"..... Although, it could be the complete opposite (as I do not think he has shown any remorse) that he may want to put forth all of his shameful acts, that are unknown to the general pubic in order to further shame and embarrass or punish his family, and Jayme, for whatever his sick mind decides is fair. I think he is, and was, out for retribution of some sort with all of what he did and what he will do or say as this case plays out, I just have no clue as to why or what may motivate him.

I’m not worried about this.

He’d be more than happy to brag about the crime itself. This would be his focus.

Anything that he did to Jayme, would not be a source of pride. He wouldn’t want this exposed, as it would hurt his image.

It also wouldn’t help him in the eyes of his fellow inmates.

I agree. He wants to brag about his stealth operation and how he outsmarted the police. He wants to share things that make him look smart and skillful. I don't see the things he may have specifically done to Jayme while in captivity as falling within these lines.

We’re also talking about a prototypical organized serial killer in one case, and a guy who committed an unprecedented crime in the other.

BTK killed those people for sexual gratification. JP may have done it out of practicality. We just don’t know.

Right. Though both were killers, BTK had a very specific and different kind of MO. Despite the fact that all these perps are basically pond scum at this point, they do have different ways of operating. We don't know what drove JP.

I am not sure why this picture stands out to me. On the end table it looks like finger nail polish remover is sitting in that bowl. I don't what my point is but it just strikes me as odd - if that is polish remover.

8487372-6588161-Inside_the_main_living_room_is_a_half_finished_game_of_Monopoly_-a-64_1547440386782.jpg

I'm now noticing that all the window treatments have been moved back and away from the windows. I wonder if the FBI did that and all of the pictures that we are saying were actually taken through Windows by the media.

I've read the book also. :) We are interested in true crime and the workings of the criminal mind, I'd say, as a whole, or we wouldn't be on a site about true crime, discussing the Barron, WI, crime now.

In my short example of BTK I was referring specifically to Rader's communications regarding his criminal acts after he was already in prison.
Your theory is that JP won't talk because he would be harmed in prison. That it wouldn't be cool.
My fear, but not theory, is that he's atypical enough to talk, and may have NO insight about how what he says or does angers others, including inmates in a prison. Also, going back to past posts, Wisconsin's Supermax prisons were described as the place JP would likely be sent for life and it was said that prisoners are kept separated in all ways. IDK if this is the type of prison he will be sent to, but I hope it's really horrible for him. IMO, the most horrible type of prison for him would be a traditional prison with communal aspects and loud noises and lots of bright lights.

The point is that some of the worst killers in modern history have communicated about their crimes while in prison.
When a killer in prison is killed by another inmate, we are informed. The only one I can recall is Dahmer. Castro died in jail but by suicide. Whitey Bulger's recent death is an outlier, IMO.

As respectfully and gently as I can possibly put this, I believe JPs crimes may have a sexual basis, as most people likely connect the dots and believe the motivation for the murders and the goal of abducting Jayme may have been sexual in nature for JP.. I do not know what kind of memories he had post- crime regarding shooting two people like he did, point blank, them defenseless. No one knows at this point.

There are elements which lead some of us to believe he would have killed Jayme soon had she not escaped. Criminals escalate and improve their criminality until or unless they are apprehended, IMO. I'm so glad he didn't have a chance to kill again or hurt another teen girl.

. .If JP is as smart as he thinks he is, he'd keep his mouth shut forever.. I just worry that he can't judge what others KNOW is horrible. I don't think that his "normal" has any relationship to the world around him.

I'm so relieved that Jayme is safe and will be safe now, and that JP can't hurt others.

Last edited:
I've read the book also. :) We are interested in true crime and the workings of the criminal mind, I'd say, as a whole, or we wouldn't be on a site about true crime, discussing the Barron, WI, crime now.

In my short example of BTK I was referring specifically to Rader's communications regarding his criminal acts after he was already in prison.
Your theory is that JP won't talk because he would be harmed in prison. That it wouldn't be cool.
My fear, but not theory, is that he's atypical enough to talk, and may have NO insight about how what he says or does angers others, including inmates in a prison. Also, going back to past posts, Wisconsin's Supermax prisons were described as the place JP would likely be sent for life and it was said that prisoners are kept separated in all ways. IDK if this is the type of prison he will be sent to, but I hope it's really horrible for him. IMO, the most horrible type of prison for him would be a traditional prison with communal aspects and loud noises and lots of bright lights.

The point is that some of the worst killers in modern history have communicated about their crimes while in prison.
When a killer in prison is killed by another inmate, we are informed. The only one I can recall is Dahmer. Castro died in jail but by suicide. Whitey Bulger's recent death is an outlier, IMO.

As respectfully and gently as I can possibly put this, I believe JPs crimes may have a sexual basis, as most people likely connect the dots and believe the motivation for the murders and the goal of abducting Jayme may have been sexual in nature for JP.. I do not know what kind of memories he had post- crime regarding shooting two people like he did, point blank, them defenseless. No one knows at this point.

There are elements which lead some of us to believe he would have killed Jayme soon had she not escaped. Criminals escalate and improve their criminality until or unless they are apprehended, IMO. I'm so glad he didn't have a chance to kill again or hurt another teen girl.

Jayme was smart and also lucky, IMO, to survive and escape.
For me, the idea that his crimes may put his safety in jeopardy while behind bars, comes secondary to another reason why I don’t think he’ll brag about this, and may outright deny it:

No one reasonably expects a sexual assault, to be met with awe.

He would have this expectation when it came to the murders themselves, although he’d be very wrong. No investigator would be impressed.

Had he killed Jayme alongside her parents, and perhaps committed another crime on top of that, he might brag.

But he kidnapped her, and was ultimately outsmarted by her. I strongly believe that he will minimize what occurred, and play up the idea that he basically allowed her to escape.

This of course isn’t true, but would allow him to save face.

He’s be proud of the murders, but embarrassed by his failures. And other things.

For me, the idea that his crimes may put his safety in jeopardy while behind bars, comes secondary to another reason why I don’t think he’ll brag about this, and may outright deny it:

No one reasonably expects a sexual assault, to be met with awe.

He would have this expectation when it came to the murders themselves, although he’d be very wrong. No investigator would be impressed.

Had he killed Jayme alongside her parents, and perhaps committed another crime on top of that, he might brag.

But he kidnapped her, and was ultimately outsmarted by her. I strongly believe that he will minimize what occurred, and play up the idea that he basically allowed her to escape.

This of course isn’t true, but would allow him to save face.

He’s be proud of the murders, but embarrassed by his failures. And other things.

What a great post! :)
I get it now! I see your point when you mention failures which are not just that she escaped but much more personal types of dysfunction. You are writing from a man's point of view, and as I know little about how men feel about the other things which may have upset and embarrassed him, I get the nuances. I do now understand what you are alluding to in a very respectful way.

I have a great sense of relief that he would have feelings of shame and stay silent.
I know we all don't want this sweet girl to be hurt any more, ever.

Thank you for your kind explanation and your patience. You'd think a nurse would understand the whole picture easily, but for me, actually, no. May be related to traumas remembered..
You can always talk privately if it's something we can't get our heads together on in the forums and can't come out and say out of respect and the site rules.
Thanks again!

What a great post! :)
I get it now! I see your point when you mention failures which are not just that she escaped but much more personal types of dysfunction. You are writing from a man's point of view, and as I know little about how men feel about the other things which may have upset and embarrassed him, I get the nuances. I do now understand what you are alluding to in a very respectful way.

I have a great sense of relief that he would have feelings of shame and stay silent.
I know we all don't want this sweet girl to be hurt any more, ever.

Thank you for your kind explanation and your patience. You'd think a nurse would understand the whole picture easily, but for me, actually, no. May be related to traumas remembered..
You can always talk privately if it's something we can't get our heads together on in the forums and can't come out and say out of respect and the site rules.
Thanks again!
Yeah. I try to never conflate what I want to happen, with what I think will happen.

My biggest concern was that charges would be brought that would further harm Jayme.

I expected that those charges would be filed, but hoped that they wouldn’t.

That concern was alleviated today.

I don’t see this evil creep bringing up that particular element, simply in an effort to cause more harm. Not with the cost to his ego.

We know what happened at the Closs home, and I’m fine with not knowing what happened at his.

I expect it to remain that way, atleast on his end.

Last edited:
Wisconsin does not have the death penalty. But it does have life without parole.

I know but there are exceptions to the life sentence without parole (makes such sense doesn't it?). I can provide the statute if any are interested. In his case, it will likely be with no chance of parole we all pray. The statute's headers says "life without parole" explains it means no parole and then goes on to give exceptions. Crazy.

The death penalty remark was just part of the previous conversation. Agree, no death penalty in Wisconsin.

If the charges are from the crimes in Barron county, wouldn't the evidence be primarily from Barron county?
As for it being paperwork, I'm sure the majority of it is lab reports from forensic evidence as well as statements from everyone involved.

One would think so that is why I think the defense attorney's remark where it was taken to be that much was removed from Gordon maybe incorrect.

I agree the lab results paperwork, probably TONS of interviews, maybe all of the tips that came in, hard to say what all (I suppose they even get the interviews of people that no longer relate?)...

It does look like there was more "hanging out" done upstairs, what with the larger tv, the books, etc. One of the reasons I was trying to figure out the arrangement of the house. I do think he let her be loose in the house with him a lot. With the windows all uncovered, would he be happier to have her loose upstairs or downstairs? Would other houses or signs of civilization be visible from upstairs? Not sure but imo more likely not visible from downstairs. The trees surround the house pretty well. All I figured out so far would be upstairs: living room area, kitchen, the area with all the lumber piled, and the "blue" room. Downstairs: den, "sister's" room, furnace room, and what the MSM called a wine cellar. (Personally I'm not really picturing a wine cellar there but who knows.) There would need to be at least 2 more bedrooms, maybe more. Didn't I see someplace that it's a 5 bedroom, 2 bathroom house?

I wonder the same thing--if it was him who had the windows uncovered and if LE did not do it. I have no idea if they do such things but do know that different pics of the Closs home we saw different positions on the blinds, etc. However, we do not know when some are dated from. Maybe even removing coverings just for pictures?

Or I thought he may have them uncovered so he can watch for and see who is coming from all directions (like worried about a SWAT team?)... Or even surveillance? I do get a bit of a kick out of picturing him paranoid, I would like to think he went through some major anxiety, hard to say though, one cold fish he is. Would he let her see out them and did he allow her freedom in the home to a point? i wonder that too.

I suspect they slept upstairs--this way if he was up at midnight and worried about being found, he could still peer out... We know he said after two weeks he figured he got away with it but until then we know he had the gun inside yet, etc. For the same reason, I almost feel he would not be downstairs much if at all, from the need to see out all of the time?

Whether he let Jayme be around to see out, is something I am unsure if we will ever know. I suspect if he allowed her some freedom, it was limited as in sit down and stay there in that chair? Or had she gained his trust and was allowed more?

Yeah. I try to never conflate what I want to happen, with what I think will happen.

My biggest concern was that charges would be brought that would further harm Jayme.

I expected that those charges would be filed, but hoped that they wouldn’t.

That concern was alleviated today.

I don’t see this evil creep bringing up that particular element, simply in an effort to cause more harm. Not with the cost to his ego.

We know what happened at the Closs home, and I’m fine with not knowing what happened at his.

I expect it to remain that way, atleast on his end.
BBM
It's unlikely that any of those charges would be brought in Barron County since only the murders and kidnapping (only?) happened there. It's possible, if not probable, that other charges will be brought against him in Douglas County once this trial is over, an possibly before. I don't even want to think about what charges may be possible there, but I'm sure unlawful imprisonment and assault for hitting her are at least the beginning. If he gets life W/O parole, they may not bother to go through a trial there; I hope that's the case so she can just get out of the limelight and on with her life. MOO

BBM
It's unlikely that any of those charges would be brought in Barron County since only the murders and kidnapping (only?) happened there. It's possible, if not probable, that other charges will be brought against him in Douglas County once this trial is over, an possibly before. I don't even want to think about what charges may be possible there, but I'm sure unlawful imprisonment and assault for hitting her are at least the beginning. If he gets life W/O parole, they may not bother to go through a trial there; I hope that's the case so she can just get out of the limelight and on with her life. MOO
The Douglas County DA, all but said that he won’t be filing any charges in relation to her kidnapping there.

His reason for doing so, was clearly to protect Jayme.

The possibility of future charges, is likely a safety net, in case the unthinkable happens (it won’t).

I fully anticipate that he will only ever be charged with what he is currently indicted on.

The announcement is significant because it could mean that details of any abuse Jayme suffered while in captivity may be kept private.”

Douglas County will not file complaint against accused Jayme Closs abductor in 'immediate future'

Last edited:
Stephen Kelley on Twitter
BREAKING: The Douglas County District Attorney says he will not issue new charges against Jake Patterson, the man who confessed to kidnapping Barron teen Jayme Closs and killing her parents in October. @WQOW

Hunter Sáenz on Twitter
#Breaking: Douglas Co. DA does not anticipate to file criminal charges against Jake Patterson, he man accused of kidnapping #JaymeCloss. DA said several things considered including other charges already filed in Barron Co. and “victim-related concerns.” @WKOW

Doug Schneider on Twitter
Breaking news on the #JaymeCloss case: The Douglas County District Attorney says it does not anticipate filing a criminal complaint against Jake Patterson in the immediate future, citing "the existence of other charges and victim-related concerns."

Seth Kaplan on Twitter
JUST IN: Charges will *not* be brought against Jake Patterson in Douglas Co. Many legal analysts expected this so that the possible ugly details from what happened to Jayme Closs in that home wouldn't be revealed.

This ^^^ makes me very happy. I posted a few times, in earlier threads, that my wish was that they would not charge him with some of the crimes, so that Jayme wouldn't need to deal with all of the details being revealed publicly. Let her have some privacy and move on with her childhood. She is still a little girl and needs some time and privacy to heal.

The charges can always be filed. This gives them time and it gives her time. Until statute limitations run. I do not think it is significant honestly.

Here is the thing. As for protecting her, it may from details which we all would agree is good. But she is key in the case of her parents' murder and her kidnapping. Could she not testify and they still have a case? Yes. He confessed, they may have some evidence and the shotgun ballistics will likely match.

But for the BEST case, she is the eyewitness to all three charges in Barron. If she wants him put away for good, she is a big part of it.

However, the bright side I guess is it will likely be a year before this case goes to trial and while that will never have her back to okay, she will be in a bit better place by then instead of just a few weeks out after escaping to decide that and they may call her despite anything, if necessary for the case (guessing).

She may well want to help hang him on her parents' murders.

There is time--for all of it. Which is good. Unless he just pleads guilty and is sentenced. And even then other charges have time to be brought if they do not like the sentence given.

jmo, thinking out loud.

BBM

So agree. They have plenty of time and so does she.

The charges can always be filed. This gives them time and it gives her time. Until statute limitations run. I do not think it is significant honestly.

Here is the thing. As for protecting her, it may from details which we all would agree is good. But she is key in the case of her parents' murder and her kidnapping. Could she not testify and they still have a case? Yes. He confessed, they may have some evidence and the shotgun ballistics will likely match.

But for the BEST case, she is the eyewitness to all three charges in Barron. If she wants him put away for good, she is a big part of it.

However, the bright side I guess is it will likely be a year before this case goes to trial and while that will never have her back to okay, she will be in a bit better place by then instead of just a few weeks out after escaping to decide that and they may call her despite anything, if necessary for the case (guessing).

She may well want to help hang him on her parents' murders.

There is time--for all of it. Which is good. Unless he just pleads guilty and is sentenced. And even then other charges have time to be brought if they do not like the sentence given.

jmo, thinking out loud.

Yes, I think that testifying against him for the murder of her parents and her abduction could be therapeutic for Jayme. Let her face him in court and stand up for her parents and help convict this vile young man, and lock him up forever. I am all for that. We all know those gory details and he has legally confessed to it all.

Even if he pleads guilty and there is no trial, she would still be allowed to give an impact statement in court, which would be a good thing too. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clm79