AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to acknowledge that their house was searched as part of the rule out and nothing has been mentioned about them being POI, but if by chance this thing would go to trial, they are not lending themselves to be credible witnesses for whatever it may be worth. MOO
" In the days since, investigators from the FBI to local law enforcement have searched the Smrekar’s home and yard along with the those of their neighbors looking for clues." (Bolded by original article )
Dozens of volunteers help in foot search for missing Wisconsin 13-year-old
Thanks for this. Did you notice also in this article the description of the shots heard "Smrekar and her husband, Tom, had gone to bed about 12:15 a.m. Monday when minutes later she said she heard “BOOM!” Within seconds came another but more muffled bang." This is the first time I have heard that the second shot was "muffled"

I know nothing about cars, but is that type of vehicle similar to the challenger in body style?
I’m not sure. But LE has a very specific model, and set of years that they are looking for.

This is the wrong manufacturer, and not even close to the year.

People dump cars in bodies of water every day.

It’s unrelated.

I guess I just don't see how they are incriminating themselves. Why would they need an attorney? It appears that they cooperated with searches of their property and answered questions the FBI asked. JMO
More so my point is that they are not lending themselves to be credible witnesses. IMO, I don't feel they are involved but there have been times where I have been scratching my head from things that they have said. They aren't doing themselves any favors with all of these interviews, and IMO, doing more harm then good and perhaps use someone to look after their best interest AKA stop talking to reporters! MOO

Last edited:
I know nothing about cars, but is that type of vehicle similar to the challenger in body style?

Car in Oshkosh is an older ( 2000) model Monte Carlo. Doesn't look anything like a Challenger to me. Edited- removed part about the Monte Carlo as it just doesn't compare visually on the road or when parked.

IF Dodge kept the length of the new Challenger almost the same as the 1970's original, the Challenger is much longer looking and also a car that's more streamlined than any Monte Carlo by far.

BTW, the Challenger was also an early 1970's true muscle car before this incarnation. I've not driven any Chrysler product since I owned 2 of their awful convertibles but the 70's car was a BEAUTY and it literally FLEW.

Last edited:

In the article it is said it is a 2000 Chevy Monte Carlo.

Adding to this, LE made it clear that they are only following up on the makes/models of the VOIs that were released in that press conference. Considering the vehicle discovered in Oshkosh is a different make/model, I think it's likely unrelated, IMO. bbm

Barron County Sheriff's Department

[...]

If anyone sees or has seen either of these vehicles in or around Barron County over the past two weeks they are asked to call our tip line 1-855-744-3879 with the time they observed it, location observed and plate number. Again we are only taking tips based on the below information, no other makes or models will be followed up on.

Sheriff Fitzgerald

Car in Oshkosh is an older ( 2000) model Monte Carlo. However, because the body style is so old, there's a chance that it might possibly be confused with a newer model Dodge Challenger if the Challenger was traveling at a high rate of speed or the images just weren't clear.

IF Dodge kept the length of the new Challenger almost the same as the 1970's original, the Challenger is much longer looking and also a car that's more streamlined by far.

BTW, the Challenger was also an early 1970's true muscle car before this incarnation. I've not driven any Chrysler product since I owned 2 of their awful convertibles but the 70's car was a BEAUTY and it literally FLEW.
LE was very specific about the brand, model, and years they were looking for in relation to the Challenger.

I highly doubt they would have been this specific, had they not been sure.

They were more vague on the black suv, which tells me that they obviously aren’t as sure there.

Thanks for this. Did you notice also in this article the description of the shots heard "Smrekar and her husband, Tom, had gone to bed about 12:15 a.m. Monday when minutes later she said she heard “BOOM!” Within seconds came another but more muffled bang." This is the first time I have heard that the second shot was "muffled"

Ahh, I knew I had heard the opposite:
UPDATE: Possible sighting of missing Wisconsin teen in Miami, couple killed identified

“I hear one shot and the second shot was even louder yet,” Joan Smrekar said.

LE was very specific about the brand, model, and years they were looking for in relation to the Challenger.

I highly doubt they would have been this specific, had they not been sure.

They were more vague on the black suv, which tells me that they obviously aren’t as sure there.

I edited my post before you replied to say I don't think anyone would confuse a Monte Carlo with a Challenger, whether moving or not.

Those other two dark colored not- attractive people- mover vehicles look almost identical. I can see why there could be some overlap in models.

Good Afternoon everyone. Will there be a presser today?

Links please if there is one. TIA. :)

May today be the day Jayme is found.

Good afternoon!

Not that I've seen, and no presser noted on the Barron County Sheriff's Department fb page, which I'd imagine they'd use to communicate any upcoming pressers.

They've done a great job updating everyone on that page, thus far, IMO.

I don't put a lot of clout in what the neighbors have said other then they heard something and didn't call the police.

These people are merely witnesses to a crime. They have no reason to worry about “self incrimination.”
Agreed, and we don’t even know that they were witnesses. They heard what they thought were gun shots and everything they have said has been picked apart because we don’t have much else to go on. They were innocent neighbors. I really think we should stop harping on and about these people. I can only imagine the guilt they feel for not calling the police when they heard what sounded like gunshots.

Is it possible they had the Challenger wrong and it was actually a Monte Carlo they should have been looking for?

Just because they were interested in those particular cars, doesn't mean they were definitely involved. Chances are, those cars were seen acting in a suspicious manner - circling, driving very slowly or speeding very quickly, etc. Even if the drivers were up to something, it might not have been anything to do with this case. (Could be someone buying drugs, a guy checking up on his girlfriend, prostitution, etc.) If the actual perps were driving normally and didn't have a distinctive vehicle, they may have gone unnoticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro