AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got what you were saying and I alluded to something similar. The 911 could have been the perp(s) toying with Cops. As in call and say nothing then hang up and bail as a means to taunt them. They may have known how long they’d have to get away after the hang up. We don’t know what the commotion was in there or how close it went on to the device that made the call. Did mom say help knowing 911 was dialed by someone? Did someone shoot her as the 911 was listening? Was Jayme pleading for her mom to be spared? We just don’t know.
I doubt this. One reason being is that they wouldn’t know if a deputy was driving by on the highway when they placed the call. Deputy would be right there.
Being a mile from town, peeps were actually lucky it took as long as it did for LE to arrive on scene.

We can know that no shots were fired during the call because the 911 call log would include a reference of shots fired and the Emergency Response Team (ERT) would have been dispatched right from the beginning and more local dispatches would have occurred instead of just the three officers - especially from the on duty Barron City Police Department - as this would have been considered an active shooter situation.
Agreed. This is a very safe assumption.

What is your source for that?

The timeline on page one says:
10/15/18 13:49:49 - responding officer requested to contact Anderson Dairy to advise them of a search of the area for a missing person. Requesting to park in their yard.
-------------
BBM. It sounds to me like responding officers went to the Dairy and searched it themselves. They contacted the owners to advise them LE would be searching and asked for permission to park there while searching. JMO.

Does another source say different? TIA.
I think the log says dairy farm advised their outbuildings were clear but I don’t have my link handy right now. I’ll post tomorrow for ya though as I do recall reading that dairy said they were clear and asked cops to park in a particular location on the property.

I think the log says dairy farm advised their outbuildings were clear but I don’t have my link handy right now. I’ll post tomorrow for ya though as I do recall reading that dairy said they were clear and asked cops to park in a particular location on the property.
I posted it in post #885.

We can know that no shots were fired during the call because the 911 call log would include a reference of shots fired and the Emergency Response Team (ERT) would have been dispatched right from the beginning and more local dispatches would have occurred instead of just the three officers - especially from the on duty Barron City Police Department - as this would have been considered an active shooter situation.
Thanks! That’s an excellent point! I wondered if the log was redacted at all? Or did we get the whole thing? Anyone know how that works? Can they omit things they don’t want released?

Thanks Jethro, but who is the "he" referring to? It's not clear to me if this is the owner that advised unit 302 where to park and said he had searched or was it the first officer on the scene? Seems to me that if the dairy owners replied that they had already searched then they had had previous contact with some other LEO's telling them about a missing girl and searching prior to this line in the dispatch log. Otherwise how would the owners even know to search prior to this contact? :confused: It seems to be a summary and some details may be left out of there. JMO.

One would assume they re-searched. If a neighbor was missing, I surely would take a toodle around my own property to see if anything was amiss, or if someone was there.
Replying to my own post...

You know what I probably wouldn't search though? My house. Unless I had been away or didn't live in it. Had I been in my house for the entirety of the past however many hours, I'm not entirely sure I would walk through it. Maybe if my house was 20,000 sq ft.

I see what you mean about a portable scanner. It wouldn't surprise me when you put it that way. It makes a lot of sense, especially if this was planned, because the perp might want to monitor LE activity while fleeing from the scene. He could have brought a portable scanner with him and no cell phone. I'm not sure what, if any tracking ability there is on this type of scanner, especially after the fact, but I find a portable scanner more likely than using an app on a phone that would have a much better chance of being tracked.
Yes, I like your thinking. You know how the scanner is always cackling info, even info about a patrol car going to meal break?

What if Unsub had fired 2 rifle shots in the forest, and he knows per his portable scanner that neither the Smerkars nor the Closses called 911. He knocks on the door claiming to be a sheriff deputy, with his cackling scanner. He says he is there to check about the shots, states that the neighbors called 911 (we know they did not but the Closses would not know), is everyone okay. The Closs family would have heard the same loud shots that the Smrekars heard.

Who would James open the door to between 12:30-12:50? Put yourself in this scenario. If you looked out and saw a cleancut man in sheriff deputy outfit, heard the scanner radio, and had just heard loud gunfire nearby 5-10-15 minutes earlier, would you open your door?

Thanks Jethro, but who is the "he" referring to? It's not clear to me if this is the owner that advised unit 302 where to park and said he had searched or was it the first officer on the scene? Seems to me that if the dairy owners replied that they had already searched then they had had previous contact with some other LEO's telling them about a missing girl and searching prior to this line in the dispatch log. Otherwise how would the owners even know to search prior to this contact? :confused: It seems to be a summary and some details may be left out of there. JMO.

Well who knows for sure but the way I read it is the guy who answered the phone to tell folks where to park 'also stated' that he did some searching.

Regardless, I'm sure they were re-searched.

"302 Req that I contact Anderson Dairy at 1312 Hwy 8 and adv them that we will be doing a search of the area for a missing person. We are req to park in their yard. He adv to go up above the upper big shed and park. He also stated that he has went through the buildings and house there are they are clear."

Edited for clarity: because I couldn't even follow my own post. :)

Last edited:
Yes, I like your thinking. You know how the scanner is always cackling info, even info about a patrol car going to meal break?

What if Unsub had fired 2 rifle shots in the forest, and he knows per his portable scanner that neither the Smerkars nor the Closses called 911. He knocks on the door claiming to be a sheriff deputy, with his cackling scanner. He says he is there to check about the shots, states that the neighbors called 911 (we know they did not but the Closses would not know), is everyone okay. The Closs family would have heard the same loud shots that the Smrekars heard.

Who would James open the door to between 12:30-12:50? Put yourself in this scenario. If you looked out and saw a cleancut man in sheriff deputy outfit, heard the scanner radio, and had just heard loud gunfire nearby 5-10-15 minutes earlier, would you open your door?
I highly doubt it.

We just don’t see this level of planning in most crimes.

This isn’t Oceans 11. By all appearances it's a blitz style home invasion, one in which the perpetrator was somehow able to avoid capture.

A guy who is impersonating a police officer, is going to be able to gain access to that home without kicking in a door and blowing away the homeowner.

Last edited:
Replying to my own post...

You know what I probably wouldn't search though? My house. Unless I had been away or didn't live in it. Had I been in my house for the entirety of the past however many hours, I'm not entirely sure I would walk through it. Maybe if my house was 20,000 sq ft.

If the police came to you in the middle of the night/very early morning when you were most likely still asleep and said that two of your neighbors were dead and a girl was missing indicating the possibly of a killer/abductor on the loose, wouldn't you at least go around to check all your windows and doors to make sure everything was secure? I would. I would check all my closets and my basement too in order to makes sure no one was hiding in there. Or I would request LE check them for me if my house was big or my basement especially creepy. JMO.

If the police came to you in the middle of the night/very early morning when you were most likely still asleep and said that two of your neighbors were dead and a girl was missing indicating the possibly of a killer/abductor on the loose, wouldn't you at least go around to check all your windows and doors to make sure everything was secure? I would. I would check all my closets and my basement too in order to makes sure no one was hiding in there. Or I would request LE check them for me if my house was big or my basement especially creepy. JMO.
haha - yes I suppose it depends on the time of day. And if I were concerned, I'd be high tailin' it out of there and make LE search. I wouldn't do it me-self!

I would sure be scared and want to be sure nobody was on or in my property that didn't belong there. I would search with a loaded gun.

Well who knows for sure but the way I read it is: 302 asked "I" to contact someone. The guy that answered the phone advised them where to park; he also stated he went through the buildings.

Seems to me the guy who told them where to park wouldn't be 302 because he's the one who asked "I" to contact the Dairy. So the guy who told them where to park is the guy who answered at the Dairy. And "He also stated" he searched the buildings.

Regardless, I'm sure they were re-searched.

"302 Req that I contact Anderson Dairy at 1312 Hwy 8 and adv them that we will be doing a search of the area for a missing person. We are req to park in their yard. He adv to go up above the upper big shed and park. He also stated that he has went through the buildings and house there are they are clear."

Agreed, I think they were probably searched more than once. The last line after that said 2 fire departments were arriving to search. If that was the first phone contact and the guy on the other end say "oh, yes, I already searched..." Well that would be pretty hinky! But I imagine this was a summary of either several back and forth calls with the owner OR 302 was talking to someone else previously on the scene who had contact with the owner and relayed where to park and said the buildings were cleared. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mutations