AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The more that I think about it, the neighbor’s recollection about the time is probably wrong. This crime happened swiftly, and with purpose. The father was ambushed. I am glad they are specifically asking hunters for help.

moo.

I found it interesting that they are cutting the ground search numbers in half to focus on online communication. They also reiterated that the cars were their biggest lead currently.

I really need to go to bed at some point.

In the abduction/murder of Ashley Freeman and Lauria Bible, the perps supposedly went to the house (trailer) over some drug money that was owed. The man who was arrested said that the girls surprised them, that they didn't know the 16 year olds were there. They abducted them kind of at the last minute because they wanted to assault them. (The parents were killed.) They were kept alive for several days before they were killed.

Just throwing that in here because it's an example of a case where abduction was NOT the primary motive. While I do not think the victims in this case were into any illegal activities, I guess it's still a possibility that the perp went to the house for one reason or another and then decided to abduct Jayme at the last minute. If this happened, then it would negate the whole fixation/obsession angle and it would mean that Jayme was not the primary target.

Like all the other theories, though, we really don't have enough to say anything with certainty. Although I definitely don't believe this was a sex trafficking thing.

I agree. This is why I have been saying not to focus exclusively on the idea that Jayme was the intended target all along.

I agree. This is why I have been saying not to focus exclusively on the idea that Jayme was the intended target all along.

My gut says she was, but I am totally open to other possibilities at the moment. There are several theories right now that could make sense and I don't have a favorite just yet. :)

Regarding the body found in the field in Minnesota, Kandiyohi County—let’s see. Problem is, every body found anywhere, at first, gets people thinking ‘is it Jayme?’ Totally understand that. Could be anybody though. One found in rail car in Memphis too. Just lots of people in the world. We keep searching.

I've tossed the idea around in my head a little in the past. Maybe Jayme had told her parents of an online encounter that scared her. Her parents may have not seen it credible enough to report it to the police due to the outlandish claim of killing her parents and taking her. Dad may have said he'd stay home, watch football, and deal with any weirdos to make Jayme and Denise feel better. This isn't something you'd normally share with family. You'd make an excuse. "James stayed home because of work." So then, late at night, the perp follows through with his threat.

The thread is slowing without anything new coming in from media coverage, which is our main source for info.

I did submit the tip about the strange sighting of a car that fit the description of one of the two but have heard nothing back (it was a sighting in North Georgia, so I still feel a bit of an amateurish cringe that I did, but at the same time, glad I did, just in case).

I am not sure how tips are ruled out... I think they were up to 2,100 today, with less than 300 not ruled out as of today. The investigative team is working fast.

It does mean to me to solve this crime, tips need to keep coming, and her picture needs to continue be put up on billboards across the country. It might work out in a few weeks like it did for Shasta. JMO.

Night all.
Calling a tip in is not always easy so I commend you and believe you did the right thing. You never know if a tip will be found useful or not so it is always best to let LE decide. I often wonder how many tips could have saved a life or solved a crime but the fear of being wrong kept them from being reported. They old saying "better safe then sorry" fits very well here. Kudos!

The thread is slowing without anything new coming in from media coverage, which is our main source for info.

I did submit the tip about the strange sighting of a car that fit the description of one of the two but have heard nothing back (it was a sighting in North Georgia, so I still feel a bit of an amateurish cringe that I did, but at the same time, glad I did, just in case).

I am not sure how tips are ruled out... I think they were up to 2,100 today, with less than 300 not ruled out as of today. The investigative team is working fast.

It does mean to me to solve this crime, tips need to keep coming, and her picture needs to continue be put up on billboards across the country. It might work out in a few weeks like it did for Shasta. JMO.

Night all.
You did the right and best thing.

I clicked the link posted a bit back on Denise and James’ funerals and was curious about the other local news from this affiliate (WAOW) so I clicked the top 3 right lines for site navigation. They literally have a permanent section of their news website dedicated to ‘Meth: A Crisis In Our Community.’

I’d also seen where Sheriff Fitzgerald was holding Town Halls to discuss the Barron meth problem and had referred to meth as the “#1 issue in Barron County and across NW Wisconsin.

Not necessarily saying any methhead is responsible, and I know it is a plague in a lot of small, rural towns (I used to live in one of those type of towns) but an angle I think we haven’t explored is how badly this fractures a community.

Back home, there was a script on the way folks in the community handled their kin. At first, you have family members enabling and protecting the addict, then you see the family absorb the addict’s responsibilities, like financially assisting with rent or car payments and a few steps later, totally absorbing large responsibilities, like childcare/rearing and later (usually after they’re victims of theft or violence) cutting the addict out of their social structure entirely.

ETA: the discussion point on this, which is wondering to what degree, if any, this described community structure contributed to what happened and investigation speed.

Last edited:
I went searching the newspapers after @charminglane said she had a niece with a stalker (at ten! ugh) as a result of an article written about her. I found a public race result for a 5k in 2017 with video and a cross country meet result with video.

I know the cross country running has been mentioned before, but I am thinking if she entered other races like this it would bring quite a bit of public exposure to the wider community. If someone saw her at one they could easily locate her home from race results with knowing her city and name.

She adorably trips in one of the videos. Seeing her on video is very different than just the pictures we have of her, heartbreaking.

2017 Cumberland Rutabaga Run:
https://www.athlinks.com/event/8055/results/Event/631852/Course/971676/Entry/303745381
2017 Rice Lake Cross Country:
https://www.athlinks.com/event/178701/results/Event/670720/Course/1059790/Entry/305876907

IMO after being away a few days and catching up on updates from LE and media, I'm confused as to why the middle of the night panty raider was cleared MUCH too quickly, and I don't think we have heard the last of him. I'll keep watching patiently. Continuing to believe Jayme is alive.

C691091D-7E9B-4682-B05A-5F6682D513DB.jpeg 20831B42-DF80-4377-AB96-79C5EDE069CA.jpeg
Wouldn't you have to know the fuel mileage of the vehicle and how much fuel was in it to begin with, to estimate how far away it might be when it runs out?

Since I wasn’t there, I used logic to make an educated estimate.
This is also why the red/orange 2004 Monte Carlo that was found 3 hrs in the opposite direction also rang alarm bells.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper