AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we PLEASE move on for now about whether or not the father worked that day so that he could get drunk and hungover during the football game? We have no evidence from LE that he even worked that day- the grandfather said it in an interview, and that could be correct.

I know the friend said he would take that Tuesday off because he was hung over (at the funeral), but could they have just been joking around- maybe he did it once, and it's something they never let him live it down?

We just have no proof he worked that day or not, and no proof of him taking Tuesdays or Fridays or whatever days after a game because of a hangover!

Thank you! I agree. This has been mentioned multiple times. Having fun, drinking, watching a game isn’t abnormal and it’s not our place to judge or srcuntize. Nothing wrong with it at all. IMOO

You just read my mind. I was just thinking about how quiet things have become the last few days, other than the panty thief reports. Calm before the storm, perhaps? MOO
Yes. The parents of Mickey Shunick became very quiet leading up to the arrrest of Lavergne. I remember being furious because they didn’t allow a private that offered to help to help. I couldn’t understand this at the time. LE knee whknit was and they were onto him and tracking him. They wanted to keep him from being spooked

I have thought of an online predator since the start. There are so many apps, some of which are difficult even for LE to trace, as well as so many apps to mask IPS addresses making perps harder to identify and physically locate.

And even if Jayme was supervised at home...there is no way to watch any teen or child around the clock or to prevent them using phones or tablets outside of the home and getting into trouble online without even knowing it. I shudder when I see FB pages of young people with thousands of “friends”...when it doubtful they know more than dozens personally. Even the FBI may have trouble keeping up with new apps that appear all the time, some of which can be difficult to pull up deleted info. All very scary, and more possible as time passes with no suspect. Jmo

I was going to ask why no one was considering messaging apps or so called hidden messaging. You can download game apps that have chat features. A former friend met his mistress through chat on an app called Song Pop.

Even through comments sections on normal websites...which no one would be as likely to look for, imo.

If that did happen, we can’t really exclude anything at this point, it could be they stalked Jayme through one of the parents. Just like some predators get to their victims by befriending family members in real life.

I remember the case of a murderous dentist’s wife years ago. Before she was killed, she hooked up online with the “love of her life”so she thought...turned out to be a female. When she thought she had been comunicating with a man all along. This relationship had nothing to do with her murder but it shows that adults can be fooled too. I can’t think of her name at the moment...but her husband tried to stage a suicide...and was later charged with the murder of his first wife in the same way, if I am not mistaken.

When the Packers played on Monday nights, he’d take Tuesday off (not Monday) in anticipation of having a hangover. The implication is that he worked first shift and didn’t want to get up early on Tuesday to go to work. If he worked second shift, he’d have more time to sober up before going to work. He wouldn’t feel so compelled to take the day off.

My ex-husband worked swing (well, 6pm-3am) for years. He often called in sick for Mondays when he was planning to watch a big game the night before (he was off Sunday nights) as he knew his sleeping schedule would be messed up. But then he called in a lot...

My theory is that a perv saw Jayme and developed a fixation. Perhaps he saw her get on or off the bus. Someone posted that there are over 6000 cars that go on that highway each day. That would mean a perv could not capture her at a bus stop.

Sunday night would be a night that Jayme would be home to go to school.

Even though someone may have a gun, it is irrelevant.

When James went to the door, he may have been wary and suspicious , but he certainly is not going to kill somone on his doorstep. James would have no idea that the goal of the perv on his doorstep is murder.

The perv, however, knows he is going to murder so there is no hesitation.

Even if someone has vicious dogs, they are easily removed with bullets. Someone would have to have multiple trained to attack dogs in the house.

I do not see having a gun or a dog as a deterrent.

Perhaps the cars in question have shown up multiple times on camera as well as that night.

It seems with all killers, there are many known things, but the pieces may be too scattered to know that they solve the puzzle.

In one of the early articles on WEAU, WEAU responded a couple times in the replies, saying that LE said that Jayme's phone was turned off. I'll try to find it again.

Not finding it now. It was on comments below something I found linked here.

As I stated in an above post, I am not LE, but am certainly part of an LE community. As a parent of a teenage girl, this case has certainly pulled at my heart strings. I have asked 6 LEOs that I know personally their thoughts on this case and the off the cuff remark from all of them is that it is going to turn our that Jayme has a 23 year old "boyfriend". Note that the word boyfriend is in quotes since 5 of the 6 LEOs I spoke to used the gesture for "air quotes", the implication being that there is someone who thinks he is a boyfriend while most of the rest of the world would not see him (the unsub) fitting into this definition in any sort of normal healthy way. I also noticed that the absolute knee jerk reaction was of a 23 year old male (one person said 18, another 22), but the overarching guess was that the unsub was 23...Not sure is this is cynicism or truth. These are large metro area LEs (though we are in the Midwest). Realize the demographic may be a bit different, but none of them wavered. I hope Jayme is found soon. Jmo (I may be overusing this phrase, but I am new here and don't want to offend anyone).

As I stated in an above post, I am not LE, but am certainly part of an LE community. As a parent of a teenage girl, this case has certainly pulled at my heart strings. I have asked 6 LEOs that I know personally their thoughts on this case and the off the cuff remark from all of them is that it is going to turn our that Jayme has a 23 year old "boyfriend". Note that the word boyfriend is in quotes since 5 of the 6 LEOs I spoke to used the gesture for "air quotes", the implication being that there is someone who thinks he is a boyfriend while most of the rest of the world would not see him (the unsub) fitting into this definition in any sort of normal healthy way. I also noticed that the absolute knee jerk reaction was of a 23 year old male (one person said 18, another 22), but the overarching guess was that the unsub was 23...Not sure is this is cynicism or truth. These are large metro area LEs (though we are in the Midwest). Realize the demographic may be a bit different, but none of them wavered. I hope Jayme is found soon. Jmo (I may be overusing this phrase, but I am new here and don't want to offend anyone).

I keep going back to this as well-either someone who had possessive (if not particularly romantic) feelings for her or someone who she had a somewhat innocent relationship with but not everyone knew about.

I know she was only 13, and IMO kind of a "young" 13, but that doesn't mean that the guy (if there's a guy) looked at her in that way. When I was 12 and 13, I used to have older guys, some adults, who would flirt with me and even call the house. I had no sexual interest in them, but I enjoyed the attention. In hindsight I am skeeved out about it.

Here’s my question though, were any of these people familiar with the details of this case?

I ask this, because my initial reaction upon hearing a brief news report, was to assume the same thing.

As I’ve learned more about this case, I absolutely don’t feel that way anymore.

Here’s my question though, were any of these people familiar with the details of this case?

I ask this, because my initial reaction upon hearing a brief news report, was to assume the same thing.

This is true. Upon first glance (someone kills the parents and abducts the teenage daughter) it DOES seem like either a) the daughter is part of it b) this is a romance gone bad or c) both. But once the story starts unfolding, it starts looking less and less like that. The fact that LE still appears stumped is what is throwing me off. If there had been some sort of romance or secret life, I think they would've uncovered it by now. That it appears they haven't is what makes me think Jayme was not a participiant in any "attraction" going on-but that doesn't mean that someone out there was fixated on her without her knowledge.

As far as I know, with one possible exeception (not local LE), none knew specific details about this case. But I was interested in their knee jerk reaction and it was interesting how everyone said pretty much the same thing. So it may be a case of precision over accuracy. I was especially intrigued by the overwhelming response of a 23 year old. Although as time goes by, I get skeptical that a 23 year old (no disrespect to 23 yos but the timeframe is now indicating luck or experience) would be able to pull this off....jmo.

Last edited:
This is true. Upon first glance (someone kills the parents and abducts the teenage daughter) it DOES seem like either a) the daughter is part of it b) this is a romance gone bad or c) both. But once the story starts unfolding, it starts looking less and less like that. The fact that LE still appears stumped is what is throwing me off. If there had been some sort of romance or secret life, I think they would've uncovered it by now. That it appears they haven't is what makes me think Jayme was not a participiant in any "attraction" going on-but that doesn't mean that someone out there was fixated on her without her knowledge.
Exactly. In cases where a family is murdered and a teen is missing, LE generally puts the pieces together very quickly.

This case looks nothing like those cases though.

As far as I know, with one possible exeception (not local LE), none knew specific details about this case. But I was interested in their knee jerk reaction and it was interesting how everyone said pretty much the same thing. So it may be a case of precision over accuracy. I was especially intrigued by the overwhelming response of a 23 year old. Although as time goes by, I get skeptical that a 23 year old would be able to pull this off....jmo.

I do this with my husband. He almost never knows what is going on in the world, unless it involves the NFL or Archaeology. We have a podcast together that consists of me telling him about high-profile cases of the moment and getting his knee-jerk reactions. The interesting thing is that he is usually right in his initial assessment. Sometimes as a sleuther I get lost in all the details and it becomes hard to see the forest for the trees. Talking to someone who doesn't know anything about it can kind of give you a jumpstart and help you circle back around to the beginning again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper