AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They would need a warrant, but that wouldn’t be difficult.

The San Bernardino issue was Apple itself. They refused to unlock the device, claiming that they didn’t have that capability.

Phone records are much easier to obtain.
Ah right thanks for the clarification

What is this about?
Pretty sure I read somewhere that the Sherrif indicated they had not had prior contact with the family before the 911 call the night of the murders.

That said, it wouldn’t shock me if the police contacted CFS to advise them of the murders and missing child. They would have had to contact them for a least a background check, no? To see if a prior or current CHild Protection File existed on that child or if perhaps another person had been placed in the home on a foster or kinship basis? They’d probably do that as well to determine any possible child protection concerns that might prove a motive to murder (eg: sexual assault / sexual abuse / parent teen conflict...) - anything that may help them to better understand the family and the scene they found.

If CFS has no prior involvement with the family the police would also need to involve them as they now have a child at risk of harm, no?

She might not have seen anyone get off the bus, but would still be aware that it stops there every day. Out in rural WI the bus often stops at the end of the driveway. Kids don't often walk to a communal bus stop. So if you hear the big diesel bus coming to a stop and see the red flashing school bus warning lights through the trees every day after school, it is safe to assume one or more children get off the bus to go inside the residence attached to the driveway. I assume this neighbor is taking that liberty here, not saying she saw Jayme with her own eyes. Jmo

Did you live on a rural highway? It was very rare on the rural Wisconsin bus routes I was familiar with in central Wisconsin. But when I lived in a subdivision in IA, we all walked to a communal stop. Of course, times have changed!
I doubt they would have had to wait, as the circumstances here are certainly exigent ones.

They most definitely have to wait. There are laws privacy laws. This is always a huge issue because of how long it takes to get access. I remember a huge lawsuit against Amazon last year because they wouldn't release info due to privacy laws.

Would LE be allowed to get a warrant to see the phone number of all phones that pinged in the area around that time?
That’s up to a judge, and depends on the case made. There are other ways to track devices besides cell tower data, but would require assistance from the phone manufacturers which can be more difficult due to rigid privacy concerns. The line between privacy and safety is blurred, and our laws need to catch up to support these type of law enforcement investigations. Technology is great, but can be a show stopper unless LE can quickly access that info. Maybe a “Jamye’s law“ could be pushed through Congress to allow LE immediate access to the phone records of any minor missing. Hmmm...

Amateur opinion and speculation

I wanted the sheriff's anonymous email tipline. I should have said that sorry. I got it on here a couple days ago. I don't like calling, Id rather email :)

They most definitely have to wait. There are laws privacy laws. This is always a huge issue because of how long it takes to get access. I remember a huge lawsuit against Amazon last year because they wouldn't release info due to privacy laws.
Amazon isn’t a phone company.

It’s completely standard for LE to obtain phone records with a warrant.

From what I can find, it can take days or weeks in many cases.

I doubt they had to wait as long in this case.

I wish I could like this 20 times. Everybody thinks it's easy just because they are the police. Not true.
I like the idea one poster had of making missing kids cell phone information available right away.
But until then...we wait.

I hate those fundraisers. One year my kid’s school asked parents to send money instead of doing fundraisers. I cannot remember if it was successful or not.

In the summer in MN, there were magazine and children’s books sale people. I hated that.

Good thoughts.

We once had an issue with a magazine salesman - on my child's first day of kindergarten. We were preparing to leave to pick him up on his first day. A magazine salesman rang the bell. I answered and said we weren't interested and closed the door. The salesman rang again and my husband answered it. He also said we weren't interested. The salesman cursed at him and said "I see you have a young child and I'm going to come back and hurt your child" (there was a tricycle and ball in the yard). Needless to say, we called the police. However, the policeman wasn't inclined to do anything. The salesman showed his ID and I remembered his name. I had the sense that something else was going to happen to someone else with the salesman. The next day I read in the newspaper that he was arrested for stealing money from a tip jar and a laptop from another family that had left their door unlocked after speaking with him. I also found out that he was from out-of-state and the magazine sales were part of a prison work release program. The theory is feasible.

The thread is slowing without anything new coming in from media coverage, which is our main source for info.

I did submit the tip about the strange sighting of a car that fit the description of one of the two but have heard nothing back (it was a sighting in North Georgia, so I still feel a bit of an amateurish cringe that I did, but at the same time, glad I did, just in case).

I am not sure how tips are ruled out... I think they were up to 2,100 today, with less than 300 not ruled out as of today. The investigative team is working fast.

It does mean to me to solve this crime, tips need to keep coming, and her picture needs to continue be put up on billboards across the country. It might work out in a few weeks like it did for Shasta. JMO.

Night all.
If it helps, I sent in an orange with black stripes on the IL/MO line. It had IL plates which wouldnt be unusual in WI, even though Im down near St Louis which is pretty far from Barron. It felt weird, and I certainly dont want to waste their time, but it was you and all of those here encouraging you to call it in that made me do it. It seems like a long shot to me, but we just dont know. So if you feel alone, dont, cause now Im an amateurish cringe right along with you and I know what that feels like. :)

I meant the sheriff's email. Sorry, but thanks!!

Hi kay74- if you're looking to submit a tip related to JLC's disappearance, it'd be worth trying the tip email again, to see if it goes through. I'd imagine that'd be the best method since it appears to be a dedicated email for JLC's case.

The email: jaymetips@co.barron.wi.us

If not, here's the contact form I believe you may be looking for. bbm
I tried emailing the tip line and the mail was sent back as undeliverable. jaymetips@co.barron.wi.us. Has anyone else tried this?

They have an anonymous tip area here:
http://barronsheriff.org/contact-us/

The old county.city.state.country servers tend to go offline sometimes.

May I ask what this is all about? Tia

I havent seen anything that would remotely support DFC being called on this family about anything.

The police said clearly they have never been called about this family for anything.

Do you have a valid link to back any of this up or is it just your opinion? Sorry I'm just confused where all of this is coming from. Tia

Imo

I thought this speculation came up many threads ago having to do with an acronym that was on the 911 call list of entries IIRC. It was never proved or disproved and eventually dropped from discussion.
ETA; I see someone else explains it another way. If so, that is now 2 ways the idea of CPS being involved has been introduced but, in point of fact, both speculations are only that; speculations and are not stated by LE or MSM.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member