AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really need to go to bed at some point.

In the abduction/murder of Ashley Freeman and Lauria Bible, the perps supposedly went to the house (trailer) over some drug money that was owed. The man who was arrested said that the girls surprised them, that they didn't know the 16 year olds were there. They abducted them kind of at the last minute because they wanted to assault them. (The parents were killed.) They were kept alive for several days before they were killed.

Just throwing that in here because it's an example of a case where abduction was NOT the primary motive. While I do not think the victims in this case were into any illegal activities, I guess it's still a possibility that the perp went to the house for one reason or another and then decided to abduct Jayme at the last minute. If this happened, then it would negate the whole fixation/obsession angle and it would mean that Jayme was not the primary target.

Like all the other theories, though, we really don't have enough to say anything with certainty. Although I definitely don't believe this was a sex trafficking thing.
I don't want to stray too far off topic but I wanted to add about that case. Not less than ONE DOZEN people knew the two men had killed the parents and taken the girls. The two of them had taken photos of the girls bound in the one guys trailer. They showed the photos to many of those dozen people and even said where the girls bodies were. One of those people was the one guys current girlfriend at the time. Not one of those people came forward.

I don't see it as a rescue mission at all, instead I see it as an "I want her and be damned if her parents don't agree. They can't keep me from her, I'll get rid of them and just take her", situation. JMO

I could definitely see this scenario, also maybe he had been stalking or acting inappropriately toward Jayme in the past and been confronted by the parents so he knew the parents would suspect him if he just grabbed her so he felt they had to go.

Wisconsin town on edge with search for missing teen, parents found shot to death
Jayme’s grandfather, 72-year-old Robert Naiberg, said nothing seemed amiss at the family gathering that Jayme and her mother attended Sunday afternoon. He said Jayme’s father was at work at the time. James and Denise Closs were longtime employees at the Jennie-O Turkey Store in Barron, which has a hatchery and processing plant.

Naiberg, Denise Closs’ father, told the Associated Press on Tuesday that Jayme “was quiet as always” at a birthday party for another family member. Denise Closs, he said, was “a thoughtful person [who brought] a little gift for everybody” at the party.

Fitzgerald said it’s his belief the gathering was where Jayme was last known to be, adding that it was not held at the Closs home.
The source you have linked here says she was known to be at home during the call and that the door was shot in. (No mention of last known to be at party.)

Has there been confirmation of James' position, or department, for Jennie-O?

Not less than ONE DOZEN people knew the two men had killed the parents and taken the girls. The two of them had taken photos of the girls bound in the one guys trailer. They showed the photos to many of those dozen people and even said where the girls bodies were. Not one of those people came forward.
If WS had a “are you *#!%ing kidding me” button, I would select it. Can’t hit like
for this one... :’(

Thanks for posting this. It does seem as if LE are relying on a lot of tips in this case. I really like the Sheriff though, he's a top bloke.

For a rural Sheriff I think he’s handling this with brilliance. Every single move he’s made has been thoughtful, informative and dependable. If I can see any shortcoming at all is the lack of press availability to everyone. He has instead been guarded, which may be necessary, and given specific interviews. It may be he trusts some more than others or it may be advice he’s been given. But I think it inflamed the public and most certainly the remains media.

I know the area where the body was found in Kandiyohi County. It is near an old wooden bridge, just outside of Willmar. A place where kids go to screw around, kinda secluded, but still close to town. We used to go out there as feral youth. Could be a random person from out of the area, but I'd guess it is someone with ties to the Willmar area.

I agree that is seems baseless and I just wanted to look at official call log. My little county we can see every call and dispatch within a few minutes.
The Sheriff stated very early in this case - I believe the first press conference - that there was no history of prior calls for police for either the Closs' or their address. That is, as far back as all their records go there were no calls for service - going back many years. 911 dispatchers get prior calls on their screens for addresses and individuals. This allows them to advise officers of prior incidents and any potential dangers (officer safety alerts for prior combative individuals or weapon involvement) or if there is a known on-going issue.

As I stated in an above post, I am not LE, but am certainly part of an LE community. As a parent of a teenage girl, this case has certainly pulled at my heart strings. I have asked 6 LEOs that I know personally their thoughts on this case and the off the cuff remark from all of them is that it is going to turn our that Jayme has a 23 year old "boyfriend". Note that the word boyfriend is in quotes since 5 of the 6 LEOs I spoke to used the gesture for "air quotes", the implication being that there is someone who thinks he is a boyfriend while most of the rest of the world would not see him (the unsub) fitting into this definition in any sort of normal healthy way. I also noticed that the absolute knee jerk reaction was of a 23 year old male (one person said 18, another 22), but the overarching guess was that the unsub was 23...Not sure is this is cynicism or truth. These are large metro area LEs (though we are in the Midwest). Realize the demographic may be a bit different, but none of them wavered. I hope Jayme is found soon. Jmo (I may be overusing this phrase, but I am new here and don't want to offend anyone).

The silver lining of this theory is it's the one IMO in which Jayme is most likely to still be alive.

I don't know if it is real or if it is just another person making up "facts" but a person claims that "HIS FRIEND" seen JC was in the store at 7:22pm buying soda, water and snack food she was behind him . He said same Friend got a call @ 10:30pm to be at the Closs home. OP was asked if that was a typo on the time and he said NO that it was 10:30PM when his friend got the call. Someone then pointed out the 12:58am 911 call and asked if there was a call before that one. And he said yes.
So i just want to see a log for the whole day.
Thanks for enlightening me but not sure if you need to alert the mods about this post because you are quoting from
FB. Not sure if it’s against the rules and even though they post the rules , I’m a 1 year member of WS now and still get it wrong and confused. I may be wrong but I don’t want you to get a time out or the thread to be closed. With respect and thanks

Thanks for enlightening me but not sure if you need to alert the mods about this post because you are quoting from
FB. Not sure if it’s against the rules and even though they post the rules , I’m a 1 year member of WS now and still get it wrong and confused. I may be wrong but I don’t want you to get a time out or the thread to be closed. With respect and thanks
I am very sorry and will delete my posts.
well I dont know how to delete it.lol. I am sorry admin I was just giving a summary of what was there, Please delete my comments I did not mean to violate any rules.

So what is everyone's view of what it is saying here?

I'm surprised that they didn't already comb through all of that stuff already. I would have thought they would have found something if this crime occurred due to something found on a messaging app. I didn't realize how long that all takes but I am not surprised they are focusing on that angle.

I can see this as a strong possibility, though if it is the case, I think something involving the Closs family set the person off just prior to the violence -- and that it wasn't simply an inability to restrain a long-time desire that led the perp to act.

I agree. I am surprised there has not been a breakthrough in this case. I havent been able to follow this thread except for right at the beginning when it happened.

My gut reaction at the time is something or someone at that Sunday family gathering may be involved with this.

Its too bad there was not a miracle way to see a video of everyone she had contact with at the gathering.
Maybe a 3rd cousin or maybe a friend of a cousin was there and spotted her from a distance and gave him a crazy idea to do something like this.

The video of the gas station vehicle was strange with the way the person shifted to back seat. It makes me think the people somehow knew her. Maybe not close but I do think they somehow knew her. That family gathering is what I keep going back to because I dont like coincidences in cases like this and that was way too close to the abduction.

Last edited:
Has there been confirmation of James' position, or department, for Jennie-O?
They were veterans at the Jennie-O Turkey Store, having worked for decades at the facility, according to their obituaries, when it was still known as Jerome Foods. Co-workers reported Jim Closs, 56, was a lead in the boning department, and Denise, 46, worked in white meat cleaning.
Remembering: Jim the athlete, Denise the volunteer
Barron County Sheriff's Dept. Dispatch Center - Oct. 17, 2018

Saturday, Oct. 13

4:26 a.m. Cameron man fell. EMS paged. 4:57 a.m., en route to Barron.

1:42 p.m. Man says there was supposed to be a child exchange but they are not coming because his ex said the kids did not want too. Logged for info.

6:22 p.m. Woman in custody at the Chetek Police Department. En route to the jail.

7:20 p.m. Chetek woman says her husband has dementia and he thinks he is being held against his will. He has a knife and is threatening to stab her and harm himself. Deputies advised. 7:21 p.m., woman says she got away from him. 7:29 p.m., deputies were able to get the knife away from the man. EMS requested to check him out. 7:43 p.m., hospice worker says the man may need to be evaluated. 7:51 p.m., en route to the hospital. 8:56 p.m., social worker will be coming to the hospital. 10:15 p.m., a doctor had taken the man off some medications today. He will be readmitted to the hospice and some changes to his medications will be made.

11:40 p.m. Caller says a friend is talking about committing suicide. 11:55 p.m., cell phone tracking pinged to the Chetek area. Deputy checking the address. 12:10 a.m., man was located. 12:52 a.m., safety plan was set up.

Sunday, Oct. 14

8:43 a.m. Caller says a house nearby is abandoned and a boat appeared there today. 9:32 a.m., deputy says the house is not livable and not able to be locked up. People are starting to dump things there.

10:03 p.m. 80-year-old woman in Chetek fell. EMS paged. 10:07 p.m., officer is forcing entry. 10:42 p.m., EMS is not needed. 10:54 p.m., woman may have fallen again. 11:20 p.m., officer says the door was closed and the woman was advised to go to bed for the evening.

Monday, Oct. 15

11:43 a.m. Dovre Township man requests an officer help him get his mail. A woman has a no-contact order against him. She will bring his mail to the Chetek Police Department. Man was advised to change his address with the post office.

1:16 p.m. 63-year-old man fell twice today in Chetek Township. EMS paged. 1:58 p.m., en route to Rice Lake.

2:22 p.m. Chetek Fire requested to assist with a missing person search.

2:36 p.m. Chetek caller has a tip.

3:26 p.m. Person fell and broke a leg in Chetek. EMS paged. 3:36 p.m., EMS intercept requested.

6:35 p.m. Car in Chetek has two plates. 6:53 p.m., man will remove the car in the morning.

10:29 p.m. Caller in Hillsdale says her husband hit her. 11 p.m., deputy has a man in custody for domestic disorderly conduct.

Had to get a 3 week online subscription, but, there's absolutely nothing except for the request for aid for missing girl at 2:22 pm on the 15th. Mostly Chetek.
IMO, they pretty much scrubbed the rest of the info. It's supposed to be under the FOI Act, but, probably due to open investigation?? Don't know.
Good morning, MyTinkieGirl. Will you please link the article or source of this information? TIA

I'm surprised that they didn't already comb through all of that stuff already. I would have thought they would have found something if this crime occurred due to something found on a messaging app. I didn't realize how long that all takes but I am not surprised they are focusing on that angle.

Maybe it means they have found something there to "focus" on while combing through it all. Something that couldn't quickly be dismissed or eliminated. Hard telling, considering it's not a direct quote from the Sheriff, but a reporter/editor's interpretation.

Hello,

Long time watcher. First time poster.

This case baffles me. Honestly, I think think one area that is being far overlooked is the neighbor. I see over and over again it could be a crime of opportunity, and JC could have been watched for a period of time.

I paused for a long time at this, and thought, okay, the only person(s) who heard anything were the neighbors. JS stated she heard gunshots. TS was already outside, wrangling their dog.

In most cases we all read, criminals like to insert themselves into the crime scene. They have done multiple interviews and shows with their information. If you dig further, it appears TS has been involved in many lawsuits both for and against. It appears as well, if all the pieces fit, he owns properties.

By no means am I saying they are criminals or they did it, however, I am saying, the perp or perps may be much closer to home than folks think.

Barron County Sheriff's Department

November 1, 2018

The Barron County Sheriff’s Department would like to thank all of our law enforcement agency partners who have assisted and continue to assist us in the mission to bring 13 year old Jayme Closs home. Each agency contributed an unbelievable amount of resources to this investigation, and we could not be more appreciative of the help from our local police and sheriff’s departments, the Wisconsin State Patrol, Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR), Wisconsin Department of Criminal Investigation (DCI), and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).

I want to reassure the great residents of Barron County and everyone else across the nation who continue to support and follow this case that we have left no stone unturned. As of today, we have transitioned our Emergency Operations Center from a 24/7 reactive operation to a more deliberate and methodical effort to progress the investigation. This is based on a declining number of tips. However, we will continue to fully investigate those remaining tips and new information we receive going forward. This case remains our number one priority and we will have agents from both the FBI and DCI continuing to support our local investigators until we bring Jayme home.

To date we have received over 2100 tips and we follow up on every one of them and all of them have been contacted in some sort and follow up is being conducted. Again, just because the posture of our operations center has transitioned, does not mean the tips should stop. We still have a team on-call, to handle them as they come in. Please continue to call in your tips - there is a tip out there that will help us solve this case and bring Jayme home.

We built a great team of investigators to work this case and they spent the last 18 days, around-the-clock, going over information from social media platforms, phone records, family, friends, coworkers and every other kind of tip that has come in. They have worked with passion, determination and resilience to solve this case and bring Jayme home. I am so proud of each and every one of them. They were only able to do this due to the overwhelming support from the community with meals, tipsters and search volunteers that continue to keep our hope alive. We also want to thank the families of all of the law enforcement personnel assigned to this case, as most of these hard working individuals have been home very little, and that family support means the world to us and this case.

We will continue to actively work this challenging investigation, but again, I want to thank everyone across the county for all of the help so far, through your tips, messages of hope, support and prayers. However, none of us are done until we bring Jayme home.

Please continue to call in tips, again the Tip Line is
1-855-744-3879. We are here waiting to hear from you.

jaymetips@co.barron.wi.us

Sheriff Fitzgerald

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads