AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Carl's Field, Rice Lake Airport, is probably 5-6 miles as the crow flies and maybe 8 -10 by car depending on the entrance to the airport. It is on the back road taken between Barron and Rice Lake and is called 19th st I believe. We just always called it the museum road.

Thanks. Are flights logged or you can just take off and land? I know people are supposed to flight flight plans but...
Any farms with airstrips in the county? Truly private airstrips?

JMO

threat to livestock

I guess I'm wondering then if the Closses neighbors owned livestock, or if livestock was kept anywhere nearby. What I'm getting at is: for some reason, the perp either didn't care that the gunshots would be heard (because he was so blindly in a rage, perhaps?), or he knew that it wouldn't be noteworthy to surrounding homes that gunshots would be heard (like the example you gave). If the latter is true, it leads me to speculate that the killer is a local to Barron or its surrounding area.

I guess I'm wondering then if the Closses neighbors owned livestock, or if livestock was kept anywhere nearby. What I'm getting at is: for some reason, the perp either didn't care that the gunshots would be heard (because he was so blindly in a rage, perhaps?), or he knew that it wouldn't be noteworthy to surrounding homes that gunshots would be heard (like the example you gave). If the latter is true, it leads me to speculate that the killer is a local to Barron or its surrounding area.

BBM
This is what makes the best sense to me.

It baffles me why the perp would be willing to fire off such a LOUD gun and draw attention to themselves.

I've read that hunting/shooting for sport is common in the area, but, do people hunt at 1:00 AM? I read speculative discussion that gunfire at that hour could be someone "shooting a gun to scare off a bear," but, again, is this common practice?

In one of my early posts i asked why the neighbours didn't report the gunshots they heard at 12.30. I got a few replies saying that gunshots in rural areas in the middle of the night were quite normal and nobody would report them. A hunter would know this so wouldn't be too bothered about anybody hearing the shots.

Thanks. Are flights logged or you can just take off and land? I know people are supposed to flight flight plans but...

JMO
I'm not aware of any but I only focus on airports as I am big into flying drones and when I am up there I fly my drones all around Rice Lake all the time and always need to maintain a 5 mile distance from the airport unless I notify them of flying closer than 5 miles to the airport.

In one of my early posts i asked why the neighbours didn't report the gunshots they heard at 12.30. I got a few replies saying that gunshots in rural areas in the middle of the night were quite normal and nobody would report them. A hunter would know this so wouldn't be too bothered about anybody hearing the shots.
That’s definitely plausible, but there’s still no guarantee someone isn’t going to call 911.

That’s a hell of a risk to take.

I was just sitting here considering that maybe this went on longer than we think. If the neighbours weren't home, and only heard two shots, then when were the other "multiple rounds spent" (per call log transcript)? That just makes no sense. Police also said they didn't know how long mom and ad had been dead for. It makes me think that this began way earlier than we think it did and no one knows because no one heard the other shots ring out for whatever reason (or other shots being heard hasn't been reported on in MSM). Would it make sense that someone was there longer and had kicked in the door? Dad goes in and sees crime in progress, so he is shot in a way that makes it appear he had answered the door, when infant, he had not?

One would have hoped if it only took LE 4 mins to arrive at the scene

JMO

Barron County Public and Private Airports

That’s definitely plausible, but there’s still no guarantee someone isn’t going to call 911.

Very true but considering what the perp went on to do a couple of loud shots in the middle of the night was the least of their worries. IMO i think that either:

1. They had a specific plan and carried it through, even if it meant the possibility of someone calling 911

2. They were in a complete rage and didn't really care if anybody heard them or not

I respect your opinion, but at this point I don’t buy it. There is not enough going on outside of the investigation to keep this story alive. If I wasn’t on here, I would know absolutely nothing about this case, and that bothers me.
I agree with you. I can't believe with two investigations LE and FBI going on this still has not been solved. Small community one Big plant and nothing.

Reactions: BIC
Very true but considering what the perp went on to do a couple of loud shots in the middle of the night was the least of their worries. IMO i think that either:

1. They had a specific plan and carried it through, even if it meant the possibility of someone calling 911

2. They were in a complete rage and didn't really care if anybody heard them or not
Yup it was rage, it was anger and they did not care who heard them. WHO was it?

Precisely, that's how I feel, as well. Definitely taking a risk.

Particularly if the neighbors' time line is correct, as that would suggest the perp (s) stuck around for 25 minutes or so before leaving after the 911 call.

ETA: I think those shots heard by the neighbors weren't related to the Closs violence - jmo.

Yeah. I definitely agree with your thinking here.

I might even add a third, that he was under the influence of something, which mitigated any fear he might have had.

The thing that gives me a bit of pause about that theory, is that he was able to successfully do whatever he came to do, and escaped.

This is all so heart-breaking.

We're all here, trying to make sense of senseless nightmare sequence. I put my trust in law enforcement because thankfully they know more than we do. They know why two cars caught their attention, they know what the crime scene looked like, they have a sense of how long the violence in the home lasted, they know where the deceased died and what additional injuries they may have had. They know whether the parents were dressed or in sleepwear. They know where they found Denise's cellphone. They know if there was torture, assaults.... they know what weapons were used.... we just know it was violent...

We don't know why this happened, short of evil crawling up from the netherworld to inflict maximum terror on a good family.... to think that, earlier in the day, Denise was giving gifts to everyone at a family party only to die at the hands of the ugliest side of humanity.

If this was a spontaneous home invasion, one has to wonder how the perp or perps intended for it to go down. Did they (I think it had to be multiple people) bring weapons TO kill or TO intimidate? Did they BRING weapons? Perhaps the father cane to the door with a weapon, for self-defense only to have it wrenched from him.... at what moment did he realize that unbridled evil was at his door?

We say we wouldn't answer the door at midnight... but no one thinks a murderer is there. . . easily he could've anticipated a motorist, in need.... so in keeping with what we've learned. Giving, helpful, kind.... I myself might open the door, particularly if the person at my door looked harmless. .. no car... or a woman....

OR but not too long ago, on a Friday even, just after I listed my house to sell, I was ensconced in my bedroom, in for the night, when I heard my storm door open. Odd, I never have company, unannounced. I thought briefly about playing possum, in the hopes whoever it was would go away. But then I remembered that it could be a realtor! I panicked, thinking I missed a scheduled showing. I went to my door, fully intending and expecting to apologize to a realtor for not being ready for his showing. As I reached the door, I could see him, through my paned front door, fiddling with my lockbox. I saved him the trouble, opening the door for him. Imagine my horror when I realized this was no realtor. For a brief moment time stopped. I stared at him. He stared at me. As a woman, and a woman with a disability, I knew how vulnerable I was and I just opened my door to an intruder. Well, as much as I was shocked to see him, he was shocked to see me. He took off. On his bike. Eventually he was arrested on breaking and entering elsewhere, petty theft. Garden variety thief. Lucky for me. But my point is how easy it is for good, trusting folks to open the door...

I am so sad that Denise and James experienced the worst of what the world has to offer.

I pray that Law Enforcement can bring some kind of justice to this awful situation, beginning by bringing Jayme home.

This is just one of the reasons I feel the house was specifically targeted and not just a random hit. First, it is too close to town and it wouldn't take LE long to get there as was witnessed. The neighbor is only about 230 yards away and at that distance a gun would definitely be heard next door. And Hwy 8 does have traffic at all times of night so assuming they didn't head east, towards Barron, they would be going west. But it just seems like it would make a lot more sense to be on one of the N/S side roads as many of those farmers have at least a section of land or even more. So the next door neighbor could easily be 1/2 mile, 3/4 mile or even a mile, or more away. Also there would be virtually zero chance of meeting another vehicle at that time and it would be a paved road, like Hwy 8, just not as wide. Another thought is if you hit a house with 2 full time working parents and a teen living there there is a very good chance there are 3 cellphones in it. Even if you are quick there is still a good chance one of them could get off a call to 911. But say a house is even 5-10 miles south would not only give you a lot more time to get away in case a 911 call was made but there are a bunch of old retired farmers in the area and if they have a cellphone it would most likely only be 1 between the couple. And many, I know a few still only have a landline. But I am just having a hard time accepting the "random" theory as there is certainly a lot of risk at that specific house. It would be a lot less riskier just moving the order of business 5-10 miles off the main road and away from town. MOO

Holly was not abducted for meth. She was kidnapped by a creep that used meth to rape her and kill her to not leave a witness. People have been hinting about Jaymes parents being killed due to meth and I just don't get that theory.
I know it's been hours since you posted, and others have probably replied, but "due to meth" doesn't necessarily mean Jayme's parents were involved with meth, but that the murderer's actions are "due to meth." Just like like Holly's case was "due to meth" because the creep that kidnapped her used meth. Meth is evil and breaks the brains of those that use it, making them evil.

Now, I admit that I no longer read every post (or even every page) so I apologize if I've missed someone claiming that Jayme's parents participated in meth in some way (using, buying, selling) but the comments I've seen that implied meth was involved in this case suggested it was the perp, not the victims, that was involved with meth.

I now believe this was a rage killing by a person known to James Closs. Regarding to your mention of a hunter Wiseowl I totally agree.

My previous post: The use of a high calibre gun possibly a rifle has been suggested by two people that I know of, largely based on the sound of the alledged hearing of gunshots by the neighbors, Joan and Tom Smrekar.
Tom said on video: "It was a BIG gun" “It wasn’t like a hand gun or a 22 or a 410”....
The second person to suggest high calibre was KAREN SMITH, RETIRED DETECTIVE, JACKSONVILLE SHERIFF`S OFFICE interviewed by CNN's Banfield.
SMITH: "Right. I mean, what send chills down my spine was the fact that she said it was so loud. That tells me it`s a high caliber gun. I don`t know if we`re dealing with a rifle..."

So if this is correct and only LE will know this for sure. Is it only hunters who might have a gun of this size handy?[/QUOTE]

I'm not a hunter, but I have some. I would hesitantly agree that it is someone who lives in the country, though. Most of the neighboring farmers around me have them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne