AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
article posted yesterday says fathers guns were found at the home, apparently not used or part of crime at all. nothing makes sure there wasn't a gun that no one else outside of home knew about. I think hunting guns are commonly kept locked up, some people have a handgun they keep out though, but with a child in the home who knows, some familys would lock all up period some would not. moo.

Right - I think all of that is correct. But it still doesn't address why the PD thought it was "particularly interesting" no weapon was found on the scene. Makes it sound like the PD thinks there SHOULD have been a weapon on the scene, imo.

So, rifles/shotguns were used in homicides at least 630 times in 2016, and prolly more than that, since there were over 3,000 homicides where the gun type was not stated. Approaching 2 homicides per day w/ rifles/shotguns. That's WAY less than the 7,100 homicides committed w/ handguns in 2016. Still, it's not an insignificant number -- comes out to be about 6% of all homicides committed w/ a firearm.

I think the percentage of when long guns are used vs. handguns is far lower then even 6 percent. More like less than one percent imo.

The figures doesnt include attempted murders by firearms and that number is also high. Imo nor includes all violent crimes where a firearm was used.

I think most home invasions or rapes or armed robberies or attempted murders the weapon of choice is overwhelmingly the semi automatic handgun.

Jmo

Last edited:
Right - I think all of that is correct. But it still doesn't address why the PD thought it was "particularly interesting" no weapon was found on the scene. Makes it sound like the PD thinks there SHOULD have been a weapon on the scene, imo.
could be it was obvious that more than one was used? I don't know. I think the article said fathers hunting guns were not stolen. maybe there was another and they know it but was just omitting anything other than the hunting guns?

In regards to the full-glass storm outer door, obviously it was opened prior to shooting or glass would have been shattered. Did perp(s) open it to knock on the wood door prior to shooting? Do most storms stay open on their own or would the perp(s) have to hold it open while shooting at the wood door?

I figure the perp just kept the storm door open, propped against his hip, while he was at the wooden door.

I figure the perp just kept the storm door open, propped against his hip, while he was at the wooden door.

Probably so. Imo if a shotgun was used there would be far more injury to the door jam than the photos showed. Close range shots by a shotgun would have taken large chunks out of the wooden door jam imo.

Have there been any updates on the 2 vehicles of interest from early on in the case? I believe it was a black MDX SUV (or something similar) and an orange/red Dodge Challenger?

If she spent a lot of time with her aunt, is it at all *possible* that maybe someone the cousin(s) know might have met Jayme and become infatuated with her? Someone who maybe only met her once or twice while she was hanging with the cousins? :( Grasping at straws. :(

I'm grasping too, well outside of my area of expertise, but I wonder if the unsub has fought with their own parents, or has hatred, resentment, anger toward them. Could this be a sort of psychological transference?

Probably so. Imo if a shotgun was used there would be far more injury to the door jam than the photos showed. Close range shots by a shotgun would have taken large chunks out of the wooden door jam imo.

I don't think a shotgun was used, due to the reported "multiple rounds spent" comment attributed to the deputy who quickly arrived on scene. And I think whatever gun was used wasn't fired at the doorknob or door jam, but instead straight through the door at James. The pic of the broken door jam screams "door kicked in," imo, not shot in.

K
could be it was obvious that more than one was used? I don't know. I think the article said fathers hunting guns were not stolen. maybe there was another and they know it but was just omitting anything other than the hunting guns?
I thought the sheriff said that all of his guns were accounted for.

Anyone else think it is odd to kick in the front door when you could have walked to the side of the house and broken the glass doors? It would have taken a lot less effort to shoot it or throw something through it.

Maybe James opened the door to answer it, saw the gunman and was able to get the door closed and locked quickly. Gunman could have fired at the door, then kicked it open, shooting James directly with the second shot?

Have there been any updates on the 2 vehicles of interest from early on in the case? I believe it was a black MDX SUV (or something similar) and an orange/red Dodge Challenger?

Last I heard, (paraphrasing) they were re-analyzing the Challenger, possibly expanding it to other/similar makes and models. They're not certain it is a Challenger, but they are still working on the footage.

K

I thought the sheriff said that all of his guns were accounted for.

could have been. I was going from memory. there still could have been one that only the parents knew about. people see others hunting guns. I don't know how common it would be to have a small handgun that just wasn't showed off or talked about.

Jmo, it seems likely that the killer did not leave DNA. But at this point, LE will have collected samples from all over the house and narrow down as much as possible, matching to the three Closs family members, then relatives and friends known to spend a lot of time there, hence the taking DNA for elimination purposes. And see what they have left, if any, which could belong to random mail carriers, repairmen, etc...a crime scene inside a house must be a DNA nightmare.

It is possible the perp touched nothing other than the gun he came in with, presumably, and Jayme as he took her. In fact, it is difficult to see what else he may have touched or left DNA on.

Jmo

Maybe James opened the door to answer it, saw the gunman and was able to get the door closed and locked quickly. Gunman could have fired at the door, then kicked it open, shooting James directly with the second shot?

The perp almost certainly wouldn't have needed to shoot the door in order to kick it in. If the perp shot through the door, he did so to kill James, imo. Kicking in doors isn't that difficult.

That is what I am wondering...that maybe a shotgun was used on the door but a handgun on the victims? So either two perps or one perp with multiple weapons?

I think the percentage of when long guns are used vs. handguns is far lower then even 6 percent. More like less than one percent imo.

The figures doesnt include attempted murders by firearms and that number is also high. Imo nor includes all violent crimes where a firearm was used.

I think most home invasions or rapes or armed robberies or attempted murders the weapon of choice is overwhelmingly the semi automatic handgun.

Jmo

Yep, an AR-15 style rifle isn't going to be the weapon of choice for most criminals/murderers. Even so, approaching 2 murders per day in 2016 were committed w/ rifles/shotguns. Maybe this case falls in that category.

And if I was going to do a blitz-style attack late at night (that included a plan of firing multiple shots through a front door) on a residence where I knew the occupants likely had access to firearms, I'd prefer the black gun over the handgun for the entry, though I might also be carrying a handgun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214