AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe they are starting to actually be able to link DNA along family trees. So even if they do not have an exact DNA sample of a perp they may have genealogical DNA that leads them on the right path. Not positive about this but I think I can remember something like this being used by LE recently.

Yes, it has been utilized to solve many old cases recently. But here is a reason that you are seeing that in mostly very old cases. It is a very long tedious process that involves DNA detectives (someone qualified in DNA expertise along with genealogy experience) poring over and creating a DNA map or sorts. There is no program for them to plug the DNA into, unless they are in a state that used the familial DNA program. In the case of the familial DNA software that does exist, it only matches with family who have a criminal record.

It is certainly a technology that is developing quickly and with it gaining in popularity as well as controversy. The Bear Brook podcast is an excellent one to listen to for those who have an interest in this technology for crime solving.

Right - I think all of that is correct. But it still doesn't address why the PD thought it was "particularly interesting" no weapon was found on the scene. Makes it sound like the PD thinks there SHOULD have been a weapon on the scene, imo.
Possible injuries from objects other than fists, feet, or firearms? We do not know when the crime started.

I know that, which is why I said it was nice to see someone not call it double odd. It's not me who needs the correcting, it's the people I know (who obviously aren't big hunters!)

I wasn't correcting you. I was just commenting.

If she spent a lot of time with her aunt, is it at all *possible* that maybe someone the cousin(s) know might have met Jayme and become infatuated with her? Someone who maybe only met her once or twice while she was hanging with the cousins? :( Grasping at straws. :(

Good question! Do we know the ages of the cousins? Are they older or younger than Jayme?

Just brainstorming out loud...they may have left saliva (yelling); fiber from his clothes/animals; other materials (hair, thread, mud/dirt, hay, plants, saw dust, metal shavings, etc) from a work/home location; finger prints on ammunition; shoe/boot impressions in ground or in house...

Jumping off your post to add a somewhat wild thought that I just had: Any chance that James or Denise picked up McDonalds for dinner that night? Maybe someone drank a leftover drink through a straw (DNA could be collected) and grabbed that leftover McDonald's hamburger? Crazy, off the wall thought, but I mean....

Note: I do realize that there is a 99% chance that the sheriff was simply illustrating the detail he wanted the search to be done with, but I still get hung up on that burger comment.

But if Jayme was left to get on the bus herself in the morning that would mean her parents were already headed into work so it would be earlier than school starting that would put up a red flag.

I don't follow.

First off, we don't know which shifts the parents work, or even if they work the same shift.

If you are referring to the parents not showing up for work being a red flag, it would still take a while. Places of employment don't call the police if someone doesn't show up at work. A supervisor might call the person. Leave a voicemail if they don't answer. They aren't calling the police for a while.

How come the police had to call a school liaison officer to determine Jayme lived in that home? Wouldn't the neighbours have known that? That made me wonder - what time exactly did the cops go speak to the neighbours who heard what they thought were gunshots or a car backfiring? Did they wait until daybreak to speak with them?

Good question! Do we know the ages of the cousins? Are they older or younger than Jayme?
Various ages. We know from media recently that Denise and Jayme attended a party at Denise's sister's house. The birthday party was for her grandson. So I assume that the aunt has older kids - how much older, I don't know, but it seems at least one of them is old enough to have a kid of their own....

Last night I had an unexpected knock at my door at 10:45pm. Based on my own reaction, I’m wondering now if I’m envisioning the initial door breach slightly wrong...

Similar situation, kids are in bed asleep. Wife and I are both awake, she’s in one room reading and I’m in another room websluething. The knock was an urgent knock, not necessarily real hard knocking but about 10 rapid knocks. I definitely felt the sense of urgency.

Although I own plenty of weapons, because the surprise and sense of urgency I went to the door unarmed. It’s fair to say I did not feel a threat but instead felt someone was desperate for me to hurry up and get to the door. When I got to the door I did not just immediately open it, nor do I think James would. I turned on the porch light and stepped to the side so I could look out the window to see who was at the door before opening it. I did not recognize the two people at my door, and at that point I did get uncomfortable. But I still did not retreat into the house to arm myself, not exactly sure why. I guess I needed to know what these guys want before I feel the need to defend? Instead I went to the door with my hand at the door knob and hollered through the closed door asking who’s there.

I can totally see that’s exactly what James did. He turned on the porch light and went to the door, and I guess in a sense answered the door as I did, but did not open the door. At that point they kicked in the door and shot James who was standing right there.

I think this sounds reasonable, and is likely pretty close to what happened.

Normal people don't answer a door with gun in hand unless they are pretty certain there is a threat on the other side. Obviously no one is saying that James would whip open the door without even looking at 1am if he wasn't expecting anyone, but this idea that he probably would have gone to the door with a gun is a little too "Wild West" for me. Logically, it was probably similar to what Sharon describes.

Wouldn’t the caller have left fingerprints on the phone?
Then LE would know who made the call.

I'm thinking that's part of the DNA evidence the sheriff spoke about. All phones, any door knobs of doors behind which someone might have hidden, the outside and inside of both front doors along with Jayme's bedroom door knob, any object possibly thrown or obviously "out of place" ... all tested for DNA. Because the sheriff used the word "kicked" in relation to Denise's phone location I am hoping against hope that, for some reason, he believe the killer did not wear gloves. The killer might have been avoiding touching the phone but may have made mistakes and touched something else.

How come the police had to call a school liaison officer to determine Jayme lived in that home? Wouldn't the neighbours have known that? That made me wonder - what time exactly did the cops go speak to the neighbours who heard what they thought were gunshots or a car backfiring? Did they wait until daybreak to speak with them?

According to the neighbors, yes. They said they spoke with police early the following morning. IIRC, LE went to them early AM.

I feel that the weapon used was most likely a shotgun. If the assailant used a semi-automatic handgun, he most likely would have fired more than two shots. With a shotgun, up close, to the head, there's no doubt that the target is dead. Perhaps a short barreled pump, 12 ga.

To squash rumors going around on SM?

I think it is speculation. There was an interview with friends/family (I think on Jame’s side) where it was stated that he never came to them for any type of financial support, nor his mom. Reasoning that he mustn’t have been in trouble. But they’re also trying hard to figure out why this happened to them.

Jayme Closs' family shares grief one month later

In my state a bus driver can request a violation by calling the police and giving the LP #. The officer will deliver the citation to the address listed on the LP. I have a school age child who is in a wheelchair. The school bus has a lift and it takes a little longer (like 2 minutes longer) for her to board then what drivers are used to. I lost count of how many times people got impatient and just drove right on by. On some occasions I could see the the drivers hands moving with impatience and what looked like yelling at the bus. A family w/teens lived across the (a school teacher no less) street had a driveway directly across ours. They insisted on backing into the street or pulling in the driveway less then 3 ft from the front of the bus. Luckily the bus driver took safety very seriously and after several warning contacted police and the grandmother was cited. The police began sitting down the road after that because there were others. I must admit it was a little funny watching the other kids on the bus when it happened. They were all into helping the driver get info and talked about at school all day. Future WS'ers lol.[/QUOTE

Someone posted awhile ago that several states
have mandates that cameras are installed that capture the license plates of offenders.

Just a few days ago, friends were posting a pettion that would require harsher penalties for offenders. Idon’t know if this was narionwide or just for MN.

Are you in WI? If so,do you know if WI has the license plate reader law?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jadeeire