AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking her from the bus stop could give you a lot of time too.

I agree that someone that only wanted Jayme could have decided to go in at night to give themselves more get away time or more cover. I could even see that someone decided to murder both parents to take her.

I can't see deciding to face an armed father. That's a huge risk.

Taking her from the bus stop allows an absolute max of about 2 hours for a getaway, and probably less than that. That's assuming nobody sees you doing it, which would be difficult in and of itself. As soon as she is marked absent from class, it would be reported to the school office, and the office would call the parents.

Taking her at night and killing the parents buys you a minimum of 10 hours, and possibly a lot more than that. The school would call the parents, but they obviously wouldn't answer because they'd be dead. Eventually someone would realize that no one had heard from anyone in the family that day so they would go to check on them. But by the time someone actually goes to the house it might be lunchtime on Monday, or maybe later that evening.

I also don't think the perp would assume the dad would come to the door with a gun. Most people don't. And maybe they knew enough about him to know that he didn't carry one on him. While he likely had guns in the house, most people with kids will keep them in a safe, or at least put away somewhere where the kid can't get to it easily.

Sounds like all of the family guns were accounted for, so it could have been as simple as knocking on the door to draw him to the door unarmed and then starting a blitz attack. He'd have no reason to go get his gun out of it's hiding place just to see who was at the door.

He was said to have worked during the day, that being the reason he wasn't at the family gathering earlier. At 10 pm Denise spoke to her sister and all was well. Maybe James was actually asleep at 12:30 am on a Sunday night, I know I usually am.

Does anyone know James's USUAL work schedule? I haven't seen any confirmation that he worked during the day as a normal routine. I know the sister said 60, 70, 80 hours a week. I've heard shift work mentioned. I looked on the Jennie-O website and it appears in Barron they have at least 1st and 2nd shift work.

I know that most people who do shift work very often don't come home and go straight to bed. In fact, I've known a lot of shift workers for whom midnight becomes more like 5pm on their clocks. Which is why I'm assuming there's a strong possibility that James would be awake between 12-1am.

The more I think about this, it seems IMOO that the perp really hated Mr. & Mrs. Closs, emotionally hated them, passionately hated them. I think this may be a close friend or relative. IMOO. And I do think IMOO that he felt he was rescuing Jayme.....in his or her mind...it is very baffling.

I don’t think that’s a guarantee... only thing taken from that house was Likely a human being... and likely only thing perp wanted...

It wouldn’t be hard to see perp unemotionally Eliminate 2 parents for what they wanted...

Perp wanted to get away with jayme and not get caught... they viewed this as best option.

The more I think about this, it seems IMOO that the perp really hated Mr. & Mrs. Closs, emotionally hated them, passionately hated them. I think this may be a close friend or relative. IMOO. And I do think IMOO that he felt he was rescuing Jayme.....in his or her mind...it is very baffling.
BBM
Genuinely curious as to what makes you feel this way?

Does anyone know James's USUAL work schedule? I haven't seen any confirmation that he worked during the day as a normal routine. I know the sister said 60, 70, 80 hours a week. I've heard shift work mentioned. I looked on the Jennie-O website and it appears in Barron they have at least 1st and 2nd shift work.

I know that most people who do shift work very often don't come home and go straight to bed. In fact, I've known a lot of shift workers for whom midnight becomes more like 5pm on their clocks. Which is why I'm assuming there's a strong possibility that James would be awake between 12-1am.
IDT LE nor the Closs families have specifically addressed their regular work schedules.

They could have taken Jayme without murdering the parents.

Family members have stated she was often alone waiting for the school bus. If the sole motive was kidnapping, one wouldn't take the risk of breaking and entering a home (with a father who is VERY likely armed) and committing a double homicide. They would have just curbed snatched her.

If grudge was motive, why were the parents killed or mortally injured right away? Without the 911 call, and if Jayme was the goal, then immediately eliminating the parents meant that everything was in place to give the abductor something like 12 - 18 hours advantage. Abducting Jayme at the bus stop means a 15 minutes advantage, and it's far more risky grabbing her at the bus stop with the heavy traffic on that road.

I'm leaning towards Jayme being the goal in the home invasion and abduction.

If grudge was motive, why were the parents killed or mortally injured right away? Without the 911 call, and if Jayme was the goal, then immediately eliminating the parents meant that everything was in place to give the abductor something like 12 - 18 hours advantage. Abducting Jayme at the bus stop means a 15 minutes advantage, and it's far more risky grabbing her at the bus stop with the heavy traffic on that road.

I'm leaning towards Jayme being the goal in the home invasion and abduction.

I can't see how taking her at the bus stop only gives a 15 minute advantage? Some schools don't even call (so it's speculative that they would) for absences.

I also don't believe there is "heavy traffic" on that road.

Does anyone know combined salary of James and Denise. They both worked jenni o awhile. And overtime? Not a big house.. not nice luxury cars... seem like salt of earth people in low cost living town. Didn’t know why James working 60 hours week.?? If it’s just Xmas gifts or jayme college kinda heart breaking... doubt 60 hr workload would lead to anything... just confirm he had a solid work ethic.

The way the perp waited until both parents would be home and Jayme. Sort of like a confrontation moment. I am sure as a 13 year old Jayme was left alone many times in the home. I mean it is normal. He had many opportunities to take her, IMO. Thirteen year olds are very active. But this perp wanted and waited until both parents would be present. I feel there may have been emotions involved such a jealousy, revenge or some form of authority, that they have a right to barge in and state their case...and it went bad fast. There may have been words exchanged or threats exchanged prior, and this was to put an end to it. If this was a romance between Jayme and perp... he could have taken her many other ways. This was a permanent solution. MOO

Have they checked on any employees that may have quit after this crime? Not shown up. Recently fired employees at the plant?

I think that if Jayme was the target. most likely 1 perp. Even though the way the perp attacked was more blunt and quick, IMO, I keep thinking the perp perhaps watched the house and even may have read the confession (blog) of Joseph Duncan. I just feel like one day he may have saw her and decided he wanted her.

I can't see how taking her at the bus stop only gives a 15 minute advantage? Some schools don't even call (so it's speculative that they would) for absences.

I also don't believe there is "heavy traffic" on that road.

Bus stop is daylight and ton of variables...
Plus jayme is alert / awake/with a phone in hand and shoes on feet... she could run / dial 911/ or anything... perp wouldn’t have element of surprise.... cops / people coming in all directions.

6000+ cars per day. main highway through town.

EDIT: I've since seen transportation data that contradicts this post. There ARE between 5-6k cars that pass the closs household daily.

Once again that’s the number of cars on the highway TOTAL. Not the ones that pass through the section in front of the Closs home.

I live in a more populated state on a larger and more frequently traveled state highway and on a busy day tops 35 cars pass my home. My trusty Labrador alerts to every single one. The Closs home looks FAR isolated than mine even is. Though we both have a dairy farm on our corner!

I’m betting only a small fraction of 6,000 cars actually pass that house.

Last edited:
Do we have any conformation of James' schedule the day of the murders? I know I've seen it speculated that he had just gotten off of work but then I also saw he may not have worked that day.

If he had just gotten off of work it supports my idea that the time was calculated and the perp was hoping James wouldn't be armed or would be coming in , changing, set his weapon down or put it away, etc.

Everyone was at home at 10PM, and it's more likely that the abductor waited for the lights to be out for some time prior to breaking into the house. I'm very curious whether the disconnected land line was cut prior to breaking into the house.

"At 10 p.m. we know everybody was at the house and accounted for," Fitzgerald told Fox News."​

Wisconsin police baffled by Jayme Closs disappearance one month after parents' murder

There are 6000+ cars that travel on SOME PART OF that highway every day. That's not 6000 cars that pass by the Closs house on a daily basis. I'd say it's not even close to a FRACTION of those cars that travel that particular stretch.

Maybe not the LEAST risky but certainly far less risk than staring down James gun IMO
Roadrunner.Web
6400 cars a day pass the Closs home on average. East of there in the City of Barron 13100 cars a day pass through. You can navigate the interactive map at the link above. Here are screen shots showing the counts at locations on Rt 8.

The first one shows the 13100 traffic counts in the City of Barron.

Screenshot_2018-11-20_17-31-27.png

The second one is less than 1 mile west of the Closs home showing a 6400 daily average.

Screenshot_2018-11-20_17-30-48.png

Respectfully snipped for focus.
This is my primary speculation as well.
However, I was reminded of an important consideration today with the announcement of the 50-year-old Jane Britton murder case being solved! Jane was a promising anthropology student at Harvard in 1969. (Cambridge, Mass.) We had some very interesting theories on Jane's thread, and had an insider providing additional dimension. However, none of our theories were right. The Perp was a serial killer and was out hunting for prey when he spotted this pretty young co-ed. He scaled up the fire escape to get in to her dorm. This was a completely random attack. There was such an incredible signature to the murder, and such apparent ritualism, we were sure it was tied to some pagan ritual. Apparently not so. Just a demented killer.

Another interesting point that we can apply when pondering this case. The Perp in the Jane Britton case did not live in Cambridge (where the college was), but *did as a child*. The town was his old stomping grounds and he knew it well. Just something to keep in mind as we mull over probabilities.

So what I learned from today's revelation is that we must always consider the possibility of complete randomness by a serial Predator.
This type of Predator is voracious and prolific, as evidenced by the string of rapes and murders by the Perp in the Jane Britton case.
It was the same scenario in the Mollie Tibbets case - completely random Perp out hunting for prey.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Interesting. Thanks for the perspective. This could have been random, but I still think they knew Jayme was in the home.

As a Wiccan who has participated in hundreds of "pagan rituals" (and observed even more) over the years, I always find it interesting when this becomes a theory in a murder case. Because despite the fact that the only injuries I've ever seen have been accidental (and mostly from candle flames or stumbling around in the dark), Satanic or pagan ritual has come up in almost every murder case I have ever followed. I blame the Satanic Panic of the 1980s, as well as the somewhat confusing fluid definition of what "pagan" really means. (The Wiccan rede is literally "harm none.")

Everyone was at home at 10PM, and it's more likely that the abductor waited for the lights to be out for some time prior to breaking into the house. I'm very curious whether the disconnected land line was cut prior to breaking into the house.

"At 10 p.m. we know everybody was at the house and accounted for," Fitzgerald told Fox News."​

Wisconsin police baffled by Jayme Closs disappearance one month after parents' murder

I understand that day he was home at 10pm. That does nothing to clarify his regular schedule or likely time he would go to bed.

There’s equal chance he was awake or asleep at 1am.

if it was cut how would 911 know before LE got there? a recording maybe? recording are placed by the phone company on their end.

There are 6000+ cars that travel on SOME PART OF that highway every day. That's not 6000 cars that pass by the Closs house on a daily basis. I'd say it's not even close to a FRACTION of those cars that travel that particular stretch.

Maybe not the LEAST risky but certainly far less risk than staring down James gun IMO

This is from traffic count data. There are many of them set up on US Hwy 8. That specific count is from a counter set up on Hwy 8 about 10 miles west of the Closs home. On an average weekday in October there are 5,925 vehicles that pass the traffic counter there. That data is from 2014. Data from more current years is not available online.

It's not exact data for right in front of their house, but it's going to be pretty darn close. There are other traffic counters on US Hwy 8 that actually register much higher. One that is 70ish miles west gets about 15,000 cars per day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1