AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot to death, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't LE say this was a horrific crime scene? Would 2 people being shot once each be considered horrific by LE's description?

I wondered this too. I read that’s they may need ongoing counciling to overcome the gruesome crime scene. It almost made me consider some torture prior to the kill and flee.. idk.

I think Jayme was forcibly removed from the scene. I don’t know if that was a result of opportunity or premeditation. I think she did her best to utilize technology to communicate with LE. It may be one of her parents was able to communicate more directly than Jayme. The timing of calls and LE arrival may or may not be relevant. We don’t know enough to make anything of it. What we know is that her parents were shot and Jayme is gone. IMO.

IF dad came home after the perp was already in the home, and IF the perp had a vehicle, would dad have blocked him in? I cant remember from pictures of the driveway.
Never mind. I looked at the street view from Google maps.

If the perp had a vehicle in the driveway (I cant imagine parking out on the road) and dad came home after he was there, I think he definitely would have been blocked in. Not to mention the added dynamic of dad knowing someone was there who shouldn't be before he even got out of his car.

I believe a high powered rifle sounds like a cracking noise and a shotgun sounds like a large boom. Don't know why, I've thought all along it was a shotgun. IMO Dad was shot in the doorway, followed by Mom in the bedroom. Mom may have been dialing 911 when shot. Only my opinion, but who really knows.
Rifles are loud too. Handguns can be loud if they are large caliber. 22 rifles can be nearly quiet. I have shot one with silenced rounds and it sounds like shooting a bb gun.

Didn't LE say this was a horrific crime scene? Would 2 people being shot once each be considered horrific by LE's description?
My thoughts also.

If just gunfire then entry exit wounds depend on firearm caliber and type of bullet. Fully jacketed bullets are fairly clean going in and out compared to hollow points that expand upon meeting resistance. Large calibers like a 45 are devastating to flesh. Have seen pictures of a deer shot with a 300 win mag and I was incredulous at the waste of meat. Shotgun is a whole different matter depending on whether cartridge is birdshot, buckshot, or slug; depending on distant to victim.

Or, the local LE have not previously been exposed to this type of crime scene. Residence could of been trashed. Something entirely different also possible.

Not enough meaningful details for me to form a picture.

I believe a high powered rifle sounds like a cracking noise and a shotgun sounds like a large boom. Don't know why, I've thought all along it was a shotgun. IMO Dad was shot in the doorway, followed by Mom in the bedroom. Mom may have been dialing 911 when shot. Only my opinion, but who really knows.
The neighbors heard 2 loud shots, one after the other. If dad, then mom were both shot around 12:31 and the call made close to 1:00 then she wasn't shot dialing 911. Both parents were deceased when police arrived. I think Jayme made that call.

Last edited:

I had initially thought it was a shotgun upon hearing the neighbor’s report. Close range shotgun blasts would also make for a gruesome crime scene (as is speculated). Now I’m not so sure. I also wonder if there was more than one weapon involved.

oh this is a good point. i mean, to me, i would consider that horrific. but in terms of LE and what they deal with, a single shot is most likely not their definition of horrific. i feel bad saying this because it sounds so callous but a single gunshot wound is pretty run-of-the-mill for homicide investigators.

I asked hubby, retired LE, he said he saw one person cut in half by a shotgun blast.

If the shooter was standing outside when they shot then it would be pretty loud for the neighbors. If they were shoot inside with the door closed it would be muffled. Father shot at the door, loud boom. Shooter steps into the house for mom and its not as loud.

I’ve been lurking, but wanted to share this; it’s the local paper here in Minneapolis. It has more specific details from the neighbor regarding what she heard.
Dozens of volunteers help in foot search for missing Wisconsin 13-year-old
I feel so bad for the poor neighbor, I wish the media would leave her alone. In your linked article she says the second shot was muffled but in earlier interviews she said the second shot was louder.
[JS] and her husband, [TS], had gone to bed about 12:15 a.m. Monday when minutes later she said she heard "BOOM!" Within seconds came another but more muffled bang.
October 15:
Neighbors [JS and TS] said they heard something strange overnight.

"I hear one shot and the second shot was even louder yet," said [JS].

"It actually sounded like a car backfiring or something quite large," said [TS].
Amber Alert: Teen missing, parents found dead in Wisconsin home
It could be errors by the reporters or possibly the lady is worn out from too many interviews.

I see Jerrod already pointed this out while I was typing my post - I'm sooo slow, sorry.

Thank you, Gardener. I know these threads have been moving past and it's easy to miss things, but I would think that is something that someone would be able to link by now.

So, we don't know any of these things, right?
  • Dad's work hours for that Sunday or any other day.
  • Dad's job position and/or department at Jennie-O.
  • Time that mom and Jayme returned from the family gathering.
MOO

Correct. Just my humble opinion but if we see posts that are making new statements of fact without a link (rather than clearly phrased as an opinion or speculation), we should be sure to hit report and let a mod know sooner rather than later. We should not have to spend pages and pages debunking something which a mod only has to clean up later. :cool:

Newbie here too.
After I win tomorrow, I will offer a reward, and make this my new full time hustle.
I'm wondering how LE knows for certain the direction in which to search...Even though the responding may not have seen a car, one could have pulled into a driveway, lights off and awaited them to pass, or even pulled off one of those other side roads. Especially since they may have known a 911 call took place and were expecting them.
I keep remebering Jacob Wetterling, and the perp having a scanner and saw LE drive by.
Also being the around the same time of year, makes me think about JW.
:) Welcome to Websleuths, KitKat2xx8! :)
Thank you for joining us.​

Well he was apparently working on a Sunday which is not typically normal hours. Wonder if he was called in for a reason..or if he had another part time job somewhere else. Be nice to have this info.
Do we know that's not normal hours? My sister works for a factory that operates 24/7 and most do swing shift. That means her work days and hours are different every single week. She gets a couple weekends off a month.

JMO: A responding officer who walks into a crime scene is unlikely to say to report that there are multiple spent rounds if there is one man down with one bullet wound (or two). He also says “spent rounds,” which implies he saw casings vs estimating the number of shots from evidence such as wounds to the victim(s) and other damage.

If the reporting is accurate, the officer likely called the initial report upon finding the father, before locating the mother (and ultimately determining that Jayme was missing). The timing also indicates that the reporting officer was not using the term “multiple” to mean “any number more than one, including two.” Although that definition is accurate in a grammatical sense, it doesn’t fit contextually.

I believe the ‘multiple spent rounds’ indicates more shots were fired than the two reported by the neighbors. MOO.
And that makes perfect sense. Considering the distance between their houses and the obstructions (trees), they’re not likely to hear shots fired from within the house.

If the second shot was louder than the first would that mean they shot inside the house and were backing out when they fired the second time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3