AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot to death, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you to @oceanblueeyes in the previous thread discussing calibres and the l.e. and the medical examiner working together to determine type of gun and bullets.

What I am also curious about is the noise level of certain guns. Can someone determine type of gun by the sound of it at a distance?

When someone who lives in the country or a rural area describes the sound of a shot from a gun in the way the neighbor describes the sound, does this mean they are possibly describing a sound from a high powered rifle as opposed to a shotgun?

I don't know much about guns and am hoping someone can explain what possibly is meant by the following statements.

Thank you in advance.

Excerpt from transcript (link below):

(Joan Smrekar):
"And I asked my husband, I said, were those gunshots? Because they were so loud? And he said, yes, and he said, it`s a big gun and I rolled over and looked at the time on my clock, and it said 12:38. My clock is off by seven minutes per the Sheriff`s department, so this happened roughly around 12:30."

"And when that happened, it was
so overpowering, the noise, we did not hear anything else. There was no -- we hear the shots, like I said, from the woods, and they`re not anything near the sound of this gun."

CNN.com - Transcripts

ETA: Here's another quote about the sound:

“I hear one shot and the second shot was even louder yet,” Joan Smrekar said.

“It actually sounded like a car backfiring or something quite large,” her husband Tom Smrekar added.

UPDATE: Possible sighting of missing Wisconsin teen in Miami, couple killed identified

Last edited:
Well, no one seems to be missing around the area, at least, no one reported. Does that mean the killer was from elsewhere? I tend to go with that theory. If so, most likely, Jayme is no longer in the area. But, where is she? And, who is she with? And why?

Possibly. Or he lives alone. Or he has a separate property where he is keeping her (a cabin or similar to Todd Kohlhepp's acreage with a shipping container on it). Or he has already disposed of Jayme and gone back to going about his usual business. :(

Last edited:
This case reminds me of the Lauria Bible and Ashley Freeman case out of Oklahoma. Both 16, disappeared in December 1999. Parents of Ashley were murdered, case unsolved and the girls were never found.
It actually was solved. No one charged, by the time they got enough information together the two of the perps had died and they third denied involvement. This was a drug deal gone bad. The two girls were held captive for weeks until they were murdered.

So...a passing thought...Mom hid and used her cell phone to call 911 while 'something' was happening. She or something cut the call short. 911 operator tried calling her back and got the recording in her name. That would mean that the phone rang and possibly gave away her hiding place and lead to her death.
Doesn't necessarily have to have been the mom who dialed the call. Jayme could have gotten hold of mom's phone and triggered the 911 call just because that phone was the closest and or easiest to get to. jmo

There were multiple rounds fired. The neighbors got home and only heard the last two.

Whoever did the shooting was not concerned about the shots being heard. They would not know that the neighbors were not home.

I,lived in the country and the nearest neighbor was 300 feet away.If I heard that many shots at night, I would be concerned. Maybe concerned enough to call LE.

Why were the shooters not worried about their gunshots?

When they showed how far away the neighbors lived, with all the woods in between, I don't think they would be concerned with anything except their mission at the moment. IMO it all happened extremely fast.

I believe that article is incorrect. It has been reported in many articles that the gathering was NOT at the Closs home.
Yes, I'm assuming the article got it wrong (which I'm surprised as People usually is accurate, even though it's not a hard-news magazine).

So, I'm sticking with the party being elsewhere.

jmo

I'm confused...... how could they not know there were children (or a child- Jayme) in the home if they witnessed a school bus stopping every day?
i caught that too. i guess to be fair, they could've thought that it was a child they looked after and just didn't know for sure if the child actually lived there...maybe, i don't know. i think that poor woman should stop talking to the media. i bet she's traumatized and possibly also feeling some guilt for assuming the shots were someone scaring an animal away.

So...a passing thought...Mom hid and used her cell phone to call 911 while 'something' was happening. She or something cut the call short. 911 operator tried calling her back and got the recording in her name. That would mean that the phone rang and possibly gave away her hiding place and lead to her death.
The 911 operator tried calling her back, but because the phone line was open (in use), the 911 operator's call was sent to voicemail. Twenty years ago, the 911 operator would have heard a busy signal when she or he tried calling back, but now calls are sent to voicemail.

That is how you interpreted it and I interpreted it differently. No need to be rude.
I’m with you. “Listed” is the operative word. LE was citing a record that indicated the name on the account for that phone number. The record also indicated that the phone number had a voice mail associated with it.

Am I the only one who missed that mom and Jayme were at the gathering past 4 pm? Do you remember that, human? All I have is that they attended a family gathering in the afternoon. I will look...
MOO

I have not seen that time anywhere. I only read here and MSM/LE links posted here.

Doesn't necessarily have to have been the mom who dialed the call. Jayme could have gotten hold of mom's phone and triggered the 911 call just because that phone was the closest and or easiest to get to. jmo
Very true. It was just my first thought when I read that the operator called the number back and got the recording. On the tight timeline you are more likely right.

When someone who lives in the country or a rural area describes the sound of a shot from a gun in the way the neighbor describes the sound, does this mean they are possibly describing a sound from a high powered rifle as opposed to a shotgun?

I don't know much about guns and am hoping someone can explain what possibly is meant by the following statements.

Thank you in advance.

Excerpt from transcript (link below):

(Joan Smrekar):
"And I asked my husband, I said, were those gunshots? Because they were so loud? And he said, yes, and he said, it`s a big gun and I rolled over and looked at the time on my clock, and it said 12:38. My clock is off by seven minutes per the Sheriff`s department, so this happened roughly around 12:30."

"And when that happened, it was so overpowering, the noise, we did not hear anything else. There was no -- we hear the shots, like I said, from the woods, and they`re not anything near the sound of this gun.

CNN.com - Transcripts

ETA: Here's another quote about the sound:

“I hear one shot and the second shot was even louder yet,” Joan Smrekar said.

“It actually sounded like a car backfiring or something quite large,” her husband Tom Smrekar added.

UPDATE: Possible sighting of missing Wisconsin teen in Miami, couple killed identified
People who go to the shooting range frequently would be able to tell if the shot was from a rifle or a shotgun. People unfamiliar with guns would only be able to determine that the noise was caused by a "big gun". This could mean that the loud shot came from a large caliber handgun and not necessarily from a rifle or shotgun.

Yesterday, someone posted that LE picked up bullet casings, so they weren't killed with a shotgun. We can hope that the killer didn't think to wipe his or her fingerprints off the bullets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oma-of-9