AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot to death, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any news?

ETA how was the “civilian search”

@thesaint can you please post a link for when LE enlisted civilian searchers for MT, tia! :)
If you are referring to Mollie Tibbets, the first search by volunteers was organized by Mollie's boyfriend's brother and people met at 5:30am on the Friday after she went missing (12 hours after reported missing) and they searched the corn fields behind their house.

If you are referring to Mollie Tibbets, the first search by volunteers was organized by Mollie's boyfriend's brother and people met at 5:30am on the Friday after she went missing (12 hours after reported missing) and they searched the corn fields behind their house.

Hi and thanks Jethro. So this was not LE organizing civilian searchers, is this correct?

Search intensifies for girl; 13-year-old vanishes after parents killed

Dispatch logs describe incident. The phone call came from mom’s phone.

“According to Barron County dispatch logs, a 911 call was placed at 12:56 a.m. Oct. 15 from a phone with a voicemail that indicates it lists to Denise Closs.

The dispatcher reported hearing “a lot of yelling.” The dispatcher called back but couldn’t leave a message. A computer trace indicated the phone was at the Closs home, 1268 13 1/2 Ave. (U.S. Hwy. 8). Three deputies were sent to the scene.

About 10 minutes later, a deputy reported a man down and “multiple rounds spent.””
Thank you. Maybe it's nothing, but down lower on the page, there is a link to a story of a 29 y/o man who left a $100 tip at a Rice Lake restaurant. He claims it was a mistake and he wants his money back.

Agree completely. This is written clearly. The voicemail states that the caller has reached the phone of Denise Closs.

Indicate: to point out; to show.

Definition of INDICATE

ITA that it was actually Denise's cell phone the call was made from. They said the voicemail was listed to Denise. To me that means when they called back it was her actual voicemail, hence her phone as opposed to Dads or Jayme's. I think the word "listed" is throwing people off because most families have a plan that's listed under only one person's name. I don't think they would have said the word voicemail if it was just a cell phone listed under Denise's name and I wouldn't think Dad or Jayme's phones would have Denise speaking their voicemail announcement. With that being said, it doesn't mean Denise is the one who made the 911 call, just that it came from her phone.

You guys. Until/unless something comes back forensically or there is a sighting or someone gives direct information this trail is cold. JMO.

ETA: Please feel free to correct me if I’m missing something.

ETA:: I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a colder more nonexistent trail on a suspect in my life.
Let’s hope there is something going on behind the scenes we don’t know about and let’s hope technology and forensics produces a hit and fast.

Sorry to be Debbie Downer. If I’m wrong I will gladly eat crow. I’m all about hope and positive energy...(but considering here her parents are DEAD...) But this is not about any of that, eating crow, who’s right or wrong. I HOPE I’m wrong.

Are we going to be here a year plus later like Abby and Libby? Lizzie and Lyric?

This is NO fault of anyone’s other than the perp. LE is trying their damndest. We know this. Amazing resources at hand. This has not found BG yet though for example has it?

Approaching a week out...not good.

Prepare yourselves for the long haul.

I hope I am wrong.

——

Eta so I’m all about not bitching about problems without providing a solution. What is the solution. We are about to go ICE COLD.

It’s now or never. Moo.

(Eta I take that back, there’s always hope.)

I’ve never made a more dire post I do not think in my six plus years here.

I would love to be wrong. Just feeling a cold cold trail at the moment. Actually more than that. It’s been cold since day 1 when they were missed tragically by four minutes it seems. Four minutes!

This makes me think...what if ARS’ mother never called her son in for Jessica’s murder?

It takes time to collect, process and analyze evidence. It takes time to comb through hours of footage. It takes time for warrants on SM and cell providers. It takes time to track down all potential witnesses, interview them and REInterview them. It takes time for ballistics to come back..it takes time for...

Last edited:
Looking at this timeframe, it stands out to me that James was the targeted person! He had just come in from work. Is the murderer a coworker with James and they had a dispute at work?

If the perp was aiming for Denise, she had been home all evening alone with Jayme. The perp wouldn’t have had James around and if he timed it right, Jayme should have been in bed.

The more I studied this timeframe, my theory is that Denise was killed because she got up, saw the perp, and could identify him. Jayme got up too and could identify him. He couldn’t shoot a child. He had to take her with him to keep her from telling who he was.

Has LE checked the work place to see if someone that worked Sunday night didn’t show up for work on Monday?

Snipped by me.
There is more known then most realize

1. Jayme and her mom Denise attended a family gathering past 4:00 pm on Sunday 10/14.
2. James Jayme's father was at work and did not attend this gathering. He worked until around 12:00 am.
3. Both James and Denise are now deceased from gunshot wounds
4. The neighbor heard two distinct gunshots at around 12:32 am
5. A 911 call came in with a muffled fight in the background and someone yelled help just after 1:00 pm
6. Jayme is now missing
7. No reported trace of a stranger in the area based on surveillance videos

My opinions only.

Looking at this timeframe, it stands out to me that James was the targeted person! He had just come in from work. Is the murderer a coworker with James and they had a dispute at work?

If the perp was aiming for Denise, she had been home all evening alone with Jayme. The perp wouldn’t have had James around and if he timed it right, Jayme should have been in bed.

The more I studied this timeframe, my theory is that Denise was killed because she got up, saw the perp, and could identify him. Jayme got up too and could identify him. He couldn’t shoot a child. He had to take her with him to keep her from telling who he was.

Has LE checked the work place to see if someone that worked Sunday night didn’t show up for work on Monday?

Snipped by me.

My opinions only.
I agree with this.

Interesting. I had wondered if it could be a situation where due to all of the interviews and intense situation, maybe she was remembering things more clearly as she told the story over the last few days, but now I’m just not sure. It would be helpful to have more direct quotes from her husband on what exactly he heard.

Jumping off your post, and just for clarification, does anyone know if the neighbors were cleared as suspects? TIA.

"The first shot was 'boom!', then in seconds, 'BOOM!', even bigger, louder."

But now, her story is, "she [Smrekar] said she heard "BOOM!". Within seconds came another, but more muffled bang."

Dozens of volunteers help in foot search for missing Wisconsin 13-year-old

Her account has so many inconsistencies I don't think we can put much weight on it at all.
After seeing that the dispatch report said multiple spent rounds I'm leaning more towards believing there were more than 2 gunshots fired. JMO.

i read earlier on here or on AB that they had the cell phone that made the 9-1-1 call and apparently nothing was said just the dispatcher heard noises in background and had sent police there. im wondering if one of the parents had dialed 9-1-1 but couldnt speak or maybe Jayme did? where did they found the cell phone? i will keep praying that jayme will be found safe and that they will catch this perp or perps

Have you ever stood next to someone shooting a .45 at the range? The boom is so loud that even with my ears on, I always jump. A .45 caliber going off inside the Closs home would be heard by the neighbors.
No one heard it when my husband accidentally shot himself with a
.45 hollow point
in the arm and our houses are only about 50 feet apart
10 houses and nothing at all.

Depending what is going on in their home. Tv,laundry, movie, kids etc...
It was 8:30- 9:00 pm
Moo
ETA; I jump at the gun range still too!

Wouldn’t it be typical for a company to offer a reward after two long-time employees were murdered and their daughter is missing? JMO
I wouldn't be too hard on Jennie-O. They may have asked the BSD and were told to wait. Think about it, there are many who have offered no reward in this case at this point: family, church, school, employer, crimestoppers, dance school/families, the town. I do not believe that they lack generosity, but I do think the BSD-FBI may have their own reasons to wait. JMO

I doubt it. Doors and windows closed, 200 yards between the houses with trees obstructing? And besides, who carries a 45 anymore? That alone would say a lot about their assailant.

My husband does for his CHL I don’t like it but it doesn’t kick much more than my 9mm. He likes it because it won’t go through but should stop inside the target. More likely than the 9mm by his research. 45 tumbles and stops, 9mm can pass through. He swears there is less likely hood for collateral damage.

There is more known then most realize

1. Jayme and her mom Denise attended a family gathering past 4:00 pm on Sunday 10/14.
2. James Jayme's father was at work and did not attend this gathering. He worked until around 12:00 am.
3. Both James and Denise are now deceased from gunshot wounds
4. The neighbor heard two distinct gunshots at around 12:32 am
5. A 911 call came in with a muffled fight in the background and someone yelled help just after 1:00 pm
6. Jayme is now missing
7. No reported trace of a stranger in the area based on surveillance videos

This tells you a few things. One is it possible this was an attack on James? He had just arrived home from work. If it were a robbery or a kidnapping it would have been less risky while he was away.
Also, Jayme was not killed at the scene. Doesn't this lean more towards a known pre-existing relationship? The murder/kidnapper did not want to kill a child they cared about.
The other notable thing is the time gap between the neighbor's statement of two gunshots and the 911 call. Is it possible the party was looking for something? someone one?

They need to look at known associates

Also, the picture of the frame on the last thread is a window.

Sounds to me like the suspect knew that her father worked late and waited for him to come home, or he was already in the house. He waited another 30 minutes for him to go to bed. Then he made a move.

Without knowing how the parents died - beyond gun shot - maybe her parents were alive for the next 30 minutes before Jayme was taken at 1PM.

I did read that police arrived 4 minutes after the 911 call, and they didn't see anyone on the road. Did the suspect park nearby, and leave on foot with Jayme to his nearby vehicle? Maybe he stalked Jayme and knew the family routine.

There were multiple rounds fired. The neighbors got home and only heard the last two.

Whoever did the shooting was not concerned about the shots being heard. They would not know that the neighbors were not home.

I,lived in the country and the nearest neighbor was 300 feet away.If I heard that many shots at night, I would be concerned. Maybe concerned enough to call LE.

Why were the shooters not worried about their gunshots?
I've seen several people mention that the neighbors were gone, but all I've seen is that she said they had just gone to bed about 12;15 am, and heard the shots shortly after. Do you have a link to where it's said they had just gotten home, and when? I'm really more behind here than I like.. Thanks

I haven’t heard of *any* reward. :(
I'm hoping it's ok to say this since I don't have a link, but I have relatives out there who have said that the FBI has asked them not to offer an award yet. I (and they) have no idea why. MOO

LE stated that they picked up multiple bullet casings. Shotguns don't use bullets.
I remember it saying spent rounds or casing, but don't remember the word bullet mentioned.

Something I'm really confused about because I can't remember where I read them, and I'm hoping somebody here can tell me which has been confirmed and which is considered rumor: I've read in a few places that nobody spoke on the 911 call, but yelling could be heard in the background, but I've also read in a few places that LE responded to a 911 call asking for help at that address. Does anyone know if whoever called actually spoke? I'm not sure why, but it seems important to me. TIA

just joining the discussion on this case for the first time...but I read in the news that police were able to discern that Jayme was in the home when her parents were shot just by listening to the 9-1-1 call. And if the phone did indeed belong to her mother but her mother didn't speak to the dispatcher, but police possibly heard Jayme's voice (in the background)...what was Jayme saying I wonder?

In that first search for Mollie that was the family organizing it. Don't know when LE asked for volunteers to search for her, if they did at all.

Thank you my point @thesaint that LE didn’t organize that civilians search.
Eta: I’m keeping my facts here straight for myself. Every case I try to absorb and take to the next one.

I've seen several people mention that the neighbors were gone, but all I've seen is that she said they had just gone to bed about 12;15 am, and heard the shots shortly after. Do you have a link to where it's said they had just gotten home, and when? I'm really more behind here than I like.. Thanks

I'm hoping it's ok to say this since I don't have a link, but I have relatives out there who have said that the FBI has asked them not to offer an award yet. I (and they) have no idea why. MOO

I remember it saying spent rounds or casing, but don't remember the word bullet mentioned.

Something I'm really confused about because I can't remember where I read them, and I'm hoping somebody here can tell me which has been confirmed and which is considered rumor: I've read in a few places that nobody spoke on the 911 call, but yelling could be heard in the background, but I've also read in a few places that LE responded to a 911 call asking for help at that address. Does anyone know if whoever called actually spoke? I'm not sure why, but it seems important to me. TIA
There is a linked radio interview with the neighbor about 100 posts back or so (and I think there is a news story as well) where she says that her and her husband had gotten home (didn't say where they were) at 11:30 and they went to bed at 12:15.

If the Dad getting off around midnight and the shots around 12:30 then that opens up a whole new area of thought for me. I need to see where this has been stated by LE or MSM.

Wasn't he some sort of manager? Wouldn't it be easy enough to see when the store closed to know when he got off work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member