AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot to death, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
To those who think Jayme was the target, I have two questions:

1) Why choose this plan, inevitably the path of most resistance? It doesn’t take much to come up with a plan that likely wouldn’t result in a violent confrontation and double homicide, so why would the assailant(s) choose likely the worst available option?

2) From the moment the front door was breached the assailants were in the house for over 20 minutes, but disappeared with Jayme within four minutes of the 911 call. If abducting Jayme were the objective, why weren’t they gone in 5 minutes or less? It’s not going to take 20+ minutes to round up the kid and leave, especially considering the father was out of the way almost immediately.
While I agree with you that it seems like a harder way to abduct her, if she wasn’t the target, why not just kill her on the spot? The moment they knew she or someone had called 911 they would have to known their window was short. Why not just shoot her and get the heck out? Instead they risk what we can only assume to be a struggling kid to get into a vehicle and get away quickly. That doesn’t add up either.

Paralleling the discussion on paid info for news outlets....

Have we missed the window of opportunity for a reward bringing in new info?

Might someone be sitting on information just waiting to see if there will be a reward?

Does Crimestoppers give rewards even when one hasn't been announced for a specific case?

Is there a strategic reason they have not announced any rewards that I can't see?
The danger with rewards is that they tend to bring in useless and false tips.

There is always time to offer a reward, as money always “talks.”

I do think we’ll have a reward at some point though.

Paralleling the discussion on paid info for news outlets....

Have we missed the window of opportunity for a reward bringing in new info?

Might someone be sitting on information just waiting to see if there will be a reward?

Does Crimestoppers give rewards even when one hasn't been announced for a specific case?

Is there a strategic reason they have not announced any rewards that I can't see?

“Is there a strategic reason they have not announced any rewards that I can't see?”

This is a good question... thinking...

I am fairly new to WS. I don't know what Tricia means by an alert frenzy. Can someone help?

Under each post, there’s an option that says “Report.” It’s to the left in blue on my display. Reporting a post for violating Twrms of Service (TOS) will send an alert to forum moderators. Since so many posts were being reported in the previous thread, there was an “alert frenzy” experienced by our wonderful mods.
Hope that helps!

And great minds think alike, obviously

While I agree with you that it seems like a harder way to abduct her, if she wasn’t the target, why not just kill her on the spot? The moment they knew she or someone had called 911 they would have to known their window was short. Why not just shoot her and get the heck out? Instead they risk what we can only assume to be a struggling kid to get into a vehicle and get away quickly. That doesn’t add up either.
Exactly. That’s why despite the fact that this guy committed this crime the hard way, I am compelled to believe that Jayme was the target all along.

It makes far more sense for Jayme to have been killed with her parents, and the most logical reason that she wasn’t (in my eyes), is that he wanted her.

Why wouldn't he just shoot her point blank and run? He just killed her parents in cold blood without a second thought. This is not a benevolent person. If he didn't have a plan to take her he sure got her out of there fast. JMO.

Right. If the goal wasn't to abduct Jayme he would have just shot her and killed her on scene like he did the parents. I think it's pretty clear she was the target, otherwise nothing else makes sense.

Am I the only one leaning toward an older boyfriend situation?

For me, this is the only one that makes sense ( as of now). There are things we believe are known facts:

Gunshot went off at around 12:31 am and 911 call comes in at 12:53 am were yelling can be heard in the background. P0lice arrive at 1:00 am. There are two deceased people and one missing child.

Police are sure Jayme was present when murders occur. The ONLY way they could know this is she was on video whether visual or audio.

I see zero chance that a drug deal gone bad, trafficking ring, robbers ect... Are going to make rooky mistakes like leaving shell casings, not securing hostages to make a 911 call or take 20 minutes between killing one and then get into an argument with anyone else in that house.

Whoever this person is they felt secure enough to walk right up to the front door. I would even say that James probably began to open it and saw the gun and attempted to shut it and that is when it got kicked or shot in.

The family not pleading for this young girls life makes sense if they have reason to believe she is somehow involved. Not as the murder, but with the murder.

As for radar online they are a gossip site, and yet there have been several cases bobo, chambers, tibbett that somehow they get people close enough to the case to begin talking.

This scenario screams to me a delusional individual saw themselves as the rescue. I would definitely check out that dad's cabin. This young lady is not safe.

<modsnip - no source provided for rumor>

Last edited by a moderator:
I also think there’s confusion created by the wording of “family caretaker.” Whoever initially used the phrase meant that it was a relative who looked after Jayme (and, in fact, it turned out to be her aunt). A caretaker who is an extended family member, a “family caretaker.”

The phrasing, however, makes it sound like a social services person appointed to monitor family dynamics and ensure any vulnerable persons receive adequate care, a caretaker for the family. There’s no indication that’s the case here.

Could someone known to the caretaker have seen/interacted with Jayme?

No. I've been with LE before when they quickly shouldered a door open. One hit, and the door jam popped right out.
I don’t know that there’s any use speculating exactly how the door was breached as the details aren’t available to us, nor do I think it really matters. We know the door was forcibly breached and the father was killed inside the doorway in such a manner that the first officer to report inferred that that he had answered the door. That’s really all that’s relevant, isn’t it?

Just a few things:

All 5 cell phones in my family are in my name, I opened and paid for the Verizon Wireless account. So is that one potential reason why reports are the phone belonged to the mom? Maybe the cell accounts are in her name, but her husband or Jayme may also have had phones.

I guess I am still fixated on the report of Mrs. Closs barricading herself in the bathroom (I know, we don't know this for certain) however, perhaps she did that knowing the intruder was after something else, not her child? I did go look at the Douglas Garland case - he had a grudge against the grandfather, but harmed his wife and grandson. If it's at all possible whoever came to the house was recognizable by the dad and was work related, maybe Mom, never dreaming they'd harm Jayme, went into the bathroom to call 911. Of course this is only speculation on my part.

From Thread #6 - Clarification on Dispatch Log Reports:

MAN DID NOT ANSWER DOOR FOR POLICE

[snip]
Sheriff Fitzgerald says a 911 call came in around 1A.M. The call came from a cell phone inside the residence but it’s not known who made the call. “We could hear yelling in the background on this 911 call, not much information," said Fitzgerald.
He says the call lasted less than a minute and the only word that can be understood is “help”.

"Deputies arrived at that address a short time after the call ended to find no one around on the outside,” Sheriff Fitzgerald says as deputies approached the house, they saw the front door was open and there was a deceased male in that front door way. Officers later found a deceased female while searching the rest of the home. BBM
[snip]
UPDATE: Sheriff: Missing girl was in home at the time of the murders

ETA: Index post #336 for future reference

Could someone known to the caretaker have seen/interacted with Jayme?

Good question, especially since the aunt recently moved and thus would have new neighbors, etc etc. If the aunt has children Jayme’s age (or cares for kids her age), Jayme may also have had more opportunities to be online or interact with outsiders than she did at home.

Am I the only one leaning toward an older boyfriend situation?

For me, this is the only one that makes sense ( as of now). There are things we believe are known facts:

Gunshot went off at around 12:31 am and 911 call comes in at 12:53 am were yelling can be heard in the background. P0lice arrive at 1:00 am. There are two deceased people and one missing child.

Police are sure Jayme was present when murders occur. The ONLY way they could know this is she was on video whether visual or audio.

I see zero chance that a drug deal gone bad, trafficking ring, robbers ect... Are going to make rooky mistakes like leaving shell casings, not securing hostages to make a 911 call or take 20 minutes between killing one and then get into an argument with anyone else in that house.

Whoever this person is they felt secure enough to walk right up to the front door. I would even say that James probably began to open it and saw the gun and attempted to shut it and that is when it got kicked or shot in.

The family not pleading for this young girls life makes sense if they have reason to believe she is somehow involved. Not as the murder, but with the murder.

As for radar online they are a gossip site, and yet there have been several cases bobo, chambers, tibbett that somehow they get people close enough to the case to begin talking.

This scenario screams to me a delusional individual saw themselves as the rescue. I would definitely check out that dad's cabin. This young lady is not safe.

<modsnip - no source for rumor>

I have resisted thinking of Jayme being misused by people on social media in this way. I've hoped she had very limited SM internet/ smartphone access.

<modsnip - referenced snipped portion of quoted post>

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you read the article that I was referring to? I thought he had already passed to but the way they worded it sounded like he wasnt.
"By 1:11 a.m., some five minutes after a wounded James Closs answered the door, according to the log, officers indicated both James and Denise were down and unresponsive."

If they were both down and unresponsive how did he open the door? Another article also noted officers saw door open and deceased man in the doorway on initial approach.

I don’t know that there’s any use speculating exactly how the door was breached as the details aren’t available to us, nor do I think it really matters. We know the door was forcibly breached and the father was killed inside the doorway in such a manner that the first officer to report inferred that that he had answered the door. That’s really all that’s relevant, isn’t it?
I was responding to the question if someone would need steel toe boots to do it. It's also relevant, I think, that it doesn't take much doing to force a locked door open.

Just a few things:

All 5 cell phones in my family are in my name, I opened and paid for the Verizon Wireless account. So is that one potential reason why reports are the phone belonged to the mom? Maybe the cell accounts are in her name, but her husband or Jayme may also have had phones.

I guess I am still fixated on the report of Mrs. Closs barricading herself in the bathroom (I know, we don't know this for certain) however, perhaps she did that knowing the intruder was after something else, not her child? I did go look at the Douglas Garland case - he had a grudge against the grandfather, but harmed his wife and grandson. If it's at all possible whoever came to the house was recognizable by the dad and was work related, maybe Mom, never dreaming they'd harm Jayme, went into the bathroom to call 911. Of course this is only speculation on my part.

When the dispatcher called the phone that had dialed 911, it was "answered" by Mrs. Closs's voicemail.

I did. Thank you though. And yes, the dispatch log is what I was referring to. Someone else on here is asking similar questions right now so I will read replies to those rather than having repeated questions happening back to back. I pray they find her safe.
Please see post #711 with reference link.

Just a few things:

They called it back and got her voicemail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18