GUILTY WI - Kayden Powell, 4 days, Beloit, 6 Feb 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Over 24 hours? Kids play for a couple of hours.

And older kids are running around and presumably have eaten food and had water within the past 24 hrs. It is very hard to believe that a baby that young could go without any sustenance and be in such cold weather for 24+ hours and be found in such good shape. :moo:

I think I need swaddling lessons from KS, no way one of my kiddos would have stayed in a swaddle for 29 hours (without duct tape).

I thought she was arrested this morning and he was found 5 hours later. To answer your question though....my 8 year old is expected to still play hockey outside when it's -10 (up to -25 a couple weeks ago for an outdoor tourney) His elementary school still has outside recess. Obviously, they are layered up and moving around. I guess we'll just have to see what info comes out. He could've been found in an outside accessed heated bathroom for all we know. Just glad he's ok.

I looked at the WKOW pictures, and Google Earth of the BP, and all I see are two glass exterior doors, and a car wash. One door looks like it leads to Quizno's, the other to the BP. I really don't think it has external entrance bathrooms.

No one heard him crying?

I know, that's my point. So this baby didn't cry when anyone was around, until this cop got there?
I'm still skeptical he was there the entire time. But anything is possible.

I do think he'd be able to breathe in there, just because he's so small and those bins are so big.
I don't think he would have suffocated.

Kayden traveled from Beloit, Wisconsin and there is no reason to think he was in an infant seat. How was he kept from rolling onto the floor in the event of a sudden stop? Perhaps the bin/tote was with the person who was travelling with the baby.

"Gas station manager Jay Patel says the baby was found in a closed, gray plastic storage bin and that the FBI took it and surveillance video from the station." http://www.weau.com/home/headlines/4-day-old-infant-missing-from-Beloit-home-243973821.html?ref=821

How did he breathe fresh air? Were there air holes for him? Those plastic bins are usually airtight.

I just can't figure out where she could have left this baby if not directly outside. Here is a link to the aerial view of the BP:

https://www.google.com/maps/preview/@41.6665714,-91.3460249,125m/data=!3m1!1e3

There do not appear to be outside bathroom doors from the street view. There is a car wash building, but I doubt it was heated. There are two outbuildings out back but they don't appear to be part of the gas station, the parking lot appears to be blocked off to get to them. It would still be possible, though
He might have been in that dumpster, and the heat of the garbage kept him alive.

ALIVE! I'm so happy this sweet little one is alive! <3

It is bitterly, deathly cold in the Midwest right now. There is absolutely no way a newborn baby could have survived being outside in a tote bag for very long at all. I hope LE gets to the bottom of this. He was abandoned near a gas station, so there should be surveillance tapes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I soooo hope there are/were surveillance tapes... And that they were working...

However... And I certainly hope this is NOT the case... The perp (whomever it is) may be savvy enough to have moved around in areas outside the scope of the cams...

and... We do not know where little man was specifically placed within the gas station property...

all just a worry to me... As I am following a case where a worker was taken from a gas station (has not been found, yet... :( )... And the surveillance cams were not operable...

JMO

from news reports that is how they located him? idk... it is so developing and scant so we just have to await more news.

But but but but I don't want to wait!!! I wanna know now!! ;) But for the first 29 hours he didn't cry, not until LE went to look at that gas station?

I'm just trying to imagine a newborn w/o food for 29 hours still having the strength to cry.

I know, that's my point. So this baby didn't cry when anyone was around, until this cop got there?
I'm still skeptical he was there the entire time. But anything is possible.

I do think he'd be able to breathe in there, just because he's so small and those bins are so big.
I don't think he would have suffocated.

I would think he would need some fresh air before 24 hrs. Those bins are big, but air gets tainted with one's breathing out after awhile. It is still hard for me to believe that he could have spent over 24 hrs outside in that closed bin.

But but but but I don't want to wait!!! I wanna know now!! ;) But for the first 29 hours he didn't cry, not until LE went to look at that gas station?

I'm just trying to imagine a newborn w/o food for 29 hours still having the strength to cry.

Exactly! And when that baby first got hungry there would be a lot of crying. A newborn cry is very frantic and distinct. I wonder if the bin was left far away enough from the gas station that no one heard it? It's bitterly cold, I'm sure people spent as little time out of their cars as possible.

KO27 &#8207;@27NewsFeed 55s

Federal charges brought against Kristen Smith in the kidnapping of Kayden Powell

http://www.beloitdailynews.com/news...cle_af766d52-901d-11e3-9104-001a4bcf887a.html local news has no updates...not even on charges

these guys say charges are coming but heck...

http://www.wkow.com/story/24663867/2014/02/07/baby-kayden-found-alive-in-iowa

http://www.nbc15.com/home/headlines/4-day-old-infant-missing-243962711.html

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wiscon...h-for-missing-baby-b99200517z1-244223221.html

At 5:30 a.m. yesterday -- one hour after Kayden was reported missing -- Kristen Smith was arrested in West Branch. She had been visiting the family in the Town of Beloit home before leaving early in the morning to drive to her Denver, Colorado home. Investigators in Beloit contacted her by phone, at which point she flagged down a local officer in West Branch to speak with the investigator. The officer then checked Smith's car for the missing Kayden, and after running her information through his system, discovered she was wanted for an outstanding felony warrant from Texas. Smith was then arrested, but was not called a suspect in the Kayden Powell disappearance. Today, however, she is being called a person of interest.
http://www.nbc15.com/home/headlines/4-day-old-infant-missing-243962711.html

I know this little guy was found alive and unhurt, but I am still so sad... I don't even have children and this is just so heartbreaking. Have read, researched, studied and summarized so so many cases in my professional life, but for some reason, this one is one that will really stay with me, no matter what we find out down the line. Maybe it is because this baby is just so darn cute! I wish I could close (ETA: as in, close from my tabs) this thread, happy he's been recovered but I am stuck.

they were on her after one hour.. and we don't know when she dumped him but he looked in good health in those photos.. after that we just have to say thanks to what ever you thank that he is alive and well :twocents:

For peeps that missed it... :nurse:

WQOW News 18 &#8207;@WQOW 1m

BREAKING: Federal charges filed
against Kristen Smith in kidnapping of newborn Kayden Powell. #news18

hey! are you giving me a shot? if so it better be a good mood one! I need one today after all these sad cases

I soooo hope there are/were surveillance tapes... And that they were working...

However... And I certainly hope this is NOT the case... The perp (whomever it is) may be savvy enough to have moved around in areas outside the scope of the cams...

and... We do not know where little man was specifically placed within the gas station property...

all just a worry to me... As I am following a case where a worker was taken from a gas station (has not been found, yet... :( )... And the surveillance cams were not operable...

JMO

BBM

The store manger said that the FBI took the surveillance video from the station. I don't think they would have taken it if it wasn't working. I wonder if they took the video before or after Kayden was found.

"Gas station manager Jay Patel says the baby was found in a closed, gray plastic storage bin and that the FBI took it and surveillance video from the station." http://www.weau.com/home/headlines/4-day-old-infant-missing-from-Beloit-home-243973821.html?ref=821

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saygoodbyetohollywood
Back