GUILTY WI - LAKE GENEVA SUITCASE MURDERS, Laura Simonson & Jenny Gamez - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If you google earth N Como road it leads straight into (you guessed it) Lake Como. Could he have been headed for the lake?

Here's a map I found.

http://www.lakeplace.com/lakefinder/wi/walworth/como/757900

You can see that Como Road and Highway H are close to the lake. I cannot imagine why else he'd be driving there. The Lake Geneva area is full of the affluent and wealthy, not the kind of place I picture SZ hanging out - but who knows? Lake Como looks like a lot of cottages, bars and restaurants are surrounding the lake. Not the kind of place you'd go to hide bodies - this is puzzling.

Observation/detail : there is also a road called "Springfield Rd" in that area.

Jenny came from the Eugene/Springfield area two cities that are basically 1 big city divided by a freeway

UPDATE . . . Steven Zelich "waives preliminary hearing". Found a general article re: common reasons that defendants waive the preliminary hearing:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/when-does-sense-waive-the-preliminary-hearing.html
A defendant may decide, after consulting with counsel, to waive the prelim. This allows the case to proceed to trial (though not immediately). The reasons the defense might waive the right to a preliminary hearing include:
The defendant intends to plead guilty and wants to avoid publicity (and expense, if the defendant is represented by private counsel).
The defendant is guilty of more than the charged offenses and fears further charges from the potentially damning evidence that may come out at the preliminary hearing. Also, if the facts of the case are particularly nasty, and the defendant plans to plead guilty anyway, the less the sentencing judge hears about the facts, the better for the defendant.
The prosecution’s case is strong, and the defense fears that prosecution witnesses may become so entrenched in their positions once they testify under oath at a prelim that they may become angry (or angrier) with the defendant and possibly refuse later interviews requested by the defense as it prepares for trial.
The prosecution intends to call witnesses at the prelim who may be unavailable at the time of trial. If the prelim goes forward, this testimony will be available in the form of transcripts from the prelim for the prosecution to use at trial. By waiving the prelim, the defendant may prevent the testimony from coming in when trial time rolls around.
The defendant wants to stall in the hopes that by the time the case comes to trial, the prosecution’s witnesses will have either disappeared, forgotten, or become confused about what happened during the alleged crime. In this situation, the defense may waive the prelim and move for several continuances (delays) of the trial date.

SZ's reason, more waiting to find out. . .

I guess in my mind I was picturing bodies in suitcases in the refrigerator due to the bodies being found in suitcases, it had not occurred to me that me that He would have taken them out of the suitcases to put them in the refrigerator

I dunno. I saw pictures of them hauling the fridge out. That was a small, apartment-sized fridge. I have one the same size. Even if I took the racks out, a suitcase large enough to put an adult body in would not fit. I don't like to think morbid like this, but you would have to take the body out of the suitcase and manipulate it to fit. There is no way you could close the door with a suitcase in it.

Attempt to Control

quite possible. it's hard to read right now. wondering how far along Rochester MN is in filing charges. how would that work? would the MN procedings have to wait until after this trial (Walworth County) ?

I have an empty fridge the same size in one of my vacant rentals. If someone knows the dimensions of one of the suitcases I could make one the same size out of a cardboard box, see if it fits, and take photos.

Court Reporter
08-15-2014
Application for specific judicial assign approved
Kerkman, Chad G
08-15-2014
Request for substitution

Additional Text:

of Judge Kerkman filed by Atty. Smith. Tab pulled for Judge Schroeder.
08-15-2014
Waiver of preliminary hearing
Mason, Jon G.
Thornton, Lori

Additional Text:

District Attorney Robert Zapf appeared for the State. Def. appeared (in custody) with Atty. Jonathan Smith. Clerk LE. Plea offer placed on the record by the State. Prelim. waived, probable cause found. Request for substitution of Judge Kerkman filed by Atty. Smith. Tab pulled for Judge Schroeder. Bound over to Br. 3 for arraignment on 8-18-14 @ 1:15pm. Information filed. Bond continued.
08-15-2014
Waiver of rights

Additional Text:

to Preliminary Hearing

http://wcca.wicourts.gov/courtRecor...set=0&linkOnlyToForm=false&sortDirection=DESC

He used to work in Kenosha as an officer, so he was probably more familiar with those locations. I also brought this up a long time ago: many of us from the Milwaukee area skip Mitchell Int'l. Ususally, when you are coming west the cheaper route is through O'Hare. We just drive down to O'Hare and skip the connecting flight at Milw. It is only about 60 minutes if traffic is good. And you pass right through Kenosha. Or (and this has happened to me in the past), your plane was late on arrival to O'Hare and you missed your connecting flight to Milw. If you do not want to wait around the airport, you call a friend to come and get you. I have done that simply because I did not want to wait around for 5 hours in O'Hare for the next flight to Milw. when I could have someone come and get me in an hour.

quite possible. it's hard to read right now. wondering how far along Rochester MN is in filing charges. how would that work? would the MN procedings have to wait until after this trial (Walworth County) ?

I was wondering the same thing. What I learned watching videos from youtube (about serial killers) it had been extremely difficult in the past to coordinate the efforts of LE when two states were involved. Hence, the development of VI-CAP. That was many years ago. It appears (so far) there is at least one witness in MN. of SZ leaving the hotel alone. Also, family knowledge that Laura was with SZ. So, I'm wondering why changes have not been filed. Like you, I'm wondering how he could proceed with court appearances in two places, and have two cases at the same time.

I don't recall he worked as an officer in Kenosha. Where did you find this?

I may be wrong. Would not be the first time. But I swear I saw some news reports that SZ worked in Kenosha as an officer before he transferred to West Allis. I cannot find it now, but I am almost positive. And this would explain why he wanted a change for a different judge and it was granted. It is pretty darn hard to get a different judge. There had to be some sort of compromise ...perhaps (and this is just a speculation) he, as LE, had already been on that judges bench for another incident. Theoretically, you cannot be a judge on a case where you know the plaintiff in person. I saw that they changed judges without argument or a complaint. That does not happen often. That is why I say he knew someone and there was a conflict of interest. If I find the info re: Zelich being a Kenosha officer I will fill you in. I know I heard that on the news.

I don't recall hearing that he was an officer in Kenosha. I know about Mequon and West Allis. Who is your source regarding Kenosha?

http://www.jrn.com/tmj4/news/Zelich...ary-hearing-requests-new-judge-271419811.html

She reported something like this at the end:

“Zelich attorney said there are no signs that authorities are building a case around Laura yet” - This can’t be true! Just because there is no murder charge it’s a stretch to say a case isn’t being built. What a slick move on his part.

And, what about the changing of the Judge? Political maneuvering? He’s “more experienced with cases like this” ???

"Now we can get the police reports" - He murdered them and kept them hidden a long period of time - is his attorney hoping things lacking in the police report will help his case?

(Personal aside) – I get the creepiest feeling from this attorney!

http://www.jrn.com/tmj4/news/Zelich...ary-hearing-requests-new-judge-271419811.html
"Now we can get the police reports" - He murdered them and kept them hidden a long period of time - is his attorney hoping things lacking in the police report will help his case?

One of my pet peeves is the continued downplaying of how long SZ kept Jenny's body before he killed Laura and finally dumped both of their bodies. From Judy's above link:
http://www.jrn.com/tmj4/news/Zelich-...271419811.html

Investigators said they think Zelich kept Gamez' body in his refrigerator for months and then dumped her in a suitcase on the side of the road in the Town of Geneva earlier this summer.

For MONTHS? How about counting those months? August 2012 to June 2014 is HOW many months? You know, it's just short of TWO YEARS. If the media can exaggerate to lesson the "concealment", I'll exaggerate to a lesser degree.

Unbelievable.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back