GUILTY WI - Principal John Klang, 49, dies in Cazenovia school shooting, 29 Sept 2006

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
reb said:
i am so glad i have not brought any innocent children into this world,, it is truly getting worse by the day.
Yes the world is sometimes a horrid place. I don't know if times are any worse as far as violence and tragedies and I doubt that they will ever go away. I do know MY world is so much brighter because I have my children. All I can do is pray they are always safe, happy, and healthy. And because I know what a true treasure a child is, I pray for all children.

reb said:
i am so glad i have not brought any innocent children into this world,, it is truly getting worse by the day.

Yes, this world is getting worse by the day, I agree. A day does not go by when I am not thankful for my daughter. She is the love of my life and I do not regret bringing her into this world.

Brian Rohrbough, whose son Dan was killed in Columbine, just gave a moving speech on the CBS evening news. He discussed how we have allowed our children to be murdered by taking God out of our schools and government, replacing God with evolution, where we teach that life has no inherant value and no right or wrong. He also talked about how abortion has diminshed the value of children. How we live in a society where suicide has become acceptable and has further emboldened these criminals with an epidemic murder/suicide attacks on our children. Our schools are not safe and our children have become a target of terrorists from within the United States.

I parapharased this to the best accuracy I could.

I say AMEN to everything he said. No matter what your views are on religion, God in our schools and abortion, I think we can all agree that as a country we are doing something wrong when our children are slaughtered at school.

I personally do believe we need to bring God back into the schools. But, at the very least, we need to be teaching the value of human life, moral charecteristics, human sensitivity and anger management.

You may say this is not the job of our school systems, but of the parents. To those of you I say..WAKE UP! Many parents today are NOT teaching their children this. So then whose job is it? Something has to be done and it is going to take all Americans speaking up to make a change!!!

I can't believe that guy would politicize a school shooting..I am a secular humanist and value children just as much as someone who believes in god....as far as Evolution, more evidence comes out supporting it all the time....what does that have to do with how you treat people.....
He makes it sound as if people who are not religious are not as good as people who are....................the bottom line is that corporate capitalism forces parents to work and work and work just to make ends meet........I could blame that too..................
As far as abortion, women were having abortions long before it was legal- in fact that was why it became legal in the first place.................because too many girls were dying and botched up from underground abortions...it was a group of male emergency room physicians who first brought it back to the publics attention...they were tired of of having to take out young women's uteruses due to botched abortions...the day after Roe V Wade was implemented, the women's death from abortion plummeted...no law will stop abortion, it will only make girls and women more desperate....the Columbine father needs to realize that in a democracy, everyone's views must be heard....in exchange for the religious right Christian getting your views heard, so does the secular humanist...................otherwise, move to Afghanistan

2luvmy said:
It is horrible. Every day when I drop off my kids I tell them I love them and on the rare occassion I forget, I panic because I worry that I might not get to tell them that later.

When I get to my desk at work , I try and recall what they were wearing that day, just in case. I hate it! I hate it! I hate it! I hate having to feel like I am over reacting about making sure the last thing my children hear from my lips as we part ways is, I love you. I hate having to collect my thoughts on what my kids wore to school that day. I hate making sure that I am at my desk at a certain time to hear the phone ring with my daughter on the other end telling me she has arrived home safely.

I hate the thought of metal detectors and uniforms, etc, but if it brings my kids home to me every evening, then so be it. My DD middle school has started uniforms mainly because of safety, no baggy pants, tucked in shirts, belts- so that they can see what is in people pockets, no bookbags during school.

I often feel like my boys must think I'm nuts because if they have on a sweat shirt over their regular shirts, I make them pull up their sweat shirts and *show* me what the shirts they have on underneath look like so I can remeber the exact detail of them.

spclk said:
Brian Rohrbough, whose son Dan was killed in Columbine, just gave a moving speech on the CBS evening news. He discussed how we have allowed our children to be murdered by taking God out of our schools and government, replacing God with evolution, where we teach that life has no inherant value and no right or wrong. He also talked about how abortion has diminshed the value of children. How we live in a society where suicide has become acceptable and has further emboldened these criminals with an epidemic murder/suicide attacks on our children. Our schools are not safe and our children have become a target of terrorists from within the United States.

I parapharased this to the best accuracy I could.

I say AMEN to everything he said. No matter what your views are on religion, God in our schools and abortion, I think we can all agree that as a country we are doing something wrong when our children are slaughtered at school.

I personally do believe we need to bring God back into the schools. But, at the very least, we need to be teaching the value of human life, moral charecteristics, human sensitivity and anger management.

You may say this is not the job of our school systems, but of the parents. To those of you I say..WAKE UP! Many parents today are NOT teaching their children this. So then whose job is it? Something has to be done and it is going to take all Americans speaking up to make a change!!!

I don't really see how teaching evolution equals teaching life has no inherent value....or leads to this act of fury and madness.

oh come on, teaching SCIENCE instead of religion and superstitious beliefs in public schools is what is driving men and boys to insanity, psychosis and murderous rage and causing the breakdown of civilized society.....????? PLEASE.

reb said:
i don't understand. WHY haven't all schools everywhere been outfitted with metal detectors and armed security guards,, and WHEN is this going to happen???? it's sad that it's come to this,, but with all these boys & men going insane the way they are these days,, i see no other choice.
I don't know why the President of the United States has not addressed the recent school shootings to the American people, just to acknowledge that there is a problem with violence in our country. I think that all American families with children should host a "Keep your Child Safe Day", and not send them to school for one day, in protest of the deadly violence happening to our children. People this is public safety issue!

Honibugs said:
I don't know why the President of the United States has not addressed the recent school shootings to the American people, just to acknowledge that there is a problem with violence in our country. I think that all American families with children should host a "Keep your Child Safe Day", and not send them to school for one day, in protest of the deadly violence happening to our children. People this is public safety issue!

He has addressed it. I heard his reaction (comments) on the radio this a.m. A Federal summit is already scheduled for next week, I believe. I'm not sure what it will accomplish. I am a teacher, no matter how many days we designate, or summits that are held, I still have to return to my desk and deal with life as it is. Unless I quit my job. Most of us still have to send our kids to school. Home-schooling not necessarily a viable or desirable option for all.

Eve

eve said:
He has addressed it. I heard his reaction (comments) on the radio this a.m. A Federal summit is already scheduled for next week, I believe. I'm not sure what it will accomplish. I am a teacher, no matter how many days we designate, or summits that are held, I still have to return to my desk and deal with life as it is. Unless I quit my job. Most of us still have to send our kids to school. Home-schooling not necessarily a viable or desirable option for all.

Eve
Eve,
In Michigan we now have to practice two lockdowns a year. We already have a flow chart on who is responsible for what, but the actual drill format isn't quite worked out yet. How about where you teach?

ljwf22 said:
Eve,
In Michigan we now have to practice two lockdowns a year. We already have a flow chart on who is responsible for what, but the actual drill format isn't quite worked out yet. How about where you teach?
Yep. My son, in 2nd grade, has had lockdown practices since Kindergarten. He told me they run into the corner and hid with the lights off, for practice. He was scared and the teacher sounded panicked even though it was a drill. He said she ran for the light switch and door, then ran all the kids into the corner in a panicl.

ljwf22 said:
Eve,

lj,

We do more than 2 lockdown drills a year. I teach at-risk kids. Our administrator would say "Lock down, now" on our PA system. We used to have a code for this (like "there's a teacher meeting at 8:30 pm") but that is too confusing. We use a slip of paper under the door - different colors for safe inside or not safe (injured or heaven forbid, with intruder).

I worry the most about student panic and retaliation, especially with my students, who are not rule-followers to start out with - in fact, most are fighters. I have been talking to my students about these events. I can't say that I am entirely happy or entirely unhappy with their attitudes and comments (another subject).

I do feel many would defend me, and to some extent each other, but I also feel many are terribly angry and unpredictable and MANY have access to guns at home. In fact, there are times I think certain parents are more likely candidates to be shooters at our school than students.

Most of my students are not the withdrawn/bullied/isolated/anonymous types sometimes profiled as potential shooters. They're pretty "out there" with their hostilities. Still, no amount of profiling can predict this type of thing. Of course, as we see with the Amish school, it is just as likely a violent intruder is not a student at all.

Eve

i'm afraid for your grandbabies too.. and for more than just this reason.
i'm beginning to think that all children should be trained in using guns & should pack heat. what chaos that would be,, but at least they'd have a fighting chance against all the psychos out there.

Oh Reb, my dear that would be insanity for children to pack heat! :crazy: Not that the insane problem in fron of our society now doesn't need to make swift moves to squash it though.. There just has to be a better way to do it.

It is suppose to be the job of parents and teachers to instill all the ethics, moral value and correct obligations of the citizenry in America.That evidently is not working as there is no control - the human mind is too complicated to simply program into always doing the right thing.

Therefore a solution has to be reflected in tougher laws, mandatory sentances and have more of the punishment fit the crime. I don't know how to accomplish the last one, short of automatic casatration for any man found guilty of a sex crime.

The country has recently made some inroads into controling sexual predators who are found guilty, but we need to keep a clean house. Maybe this Mark Foley ordeal is a blessing in disguise. When you have to warn the pages in the Congress that a congressman is a homosexual and you better watch out, and when you don't dare report that a major US Senator lets his stewards hold pot parties in his office after work for the pages, there is a lot of cleaning to do!

Scandi

PS: I heard there are 7 families directly impacted by the shooting of the 10 liitle girls. I thought there were 11 girls shot. Does anyone know for sure?

eve said:
lj,

We do more than 2 lockdown drills a year. I teach at-risk kids. Our administrator would say "Lock down, now" on our PA system. We used to have a code for this (like "there's a teacher meeting at 8:30 pm") but that is too confusing. We use a slip of paper under the door - different colors for safe inside or not safe (injured or heaven forbid, with intruder).

I worry the most about student panic and retaliation, especially with my students, who are not rule-followers to start out with - in fact, most are fighters. I have been talking to my students about these events. I can't say that I am entirely happy or entirely unhappy with their attitudes and comments (another subject).

I do feel many would defend me, and to some extent each other, but I also feel many are terribly angry and unpredictable and MANY have access to guns at home. In fact, there are times I think certain parents are more likely candidates to be shooters at our school than students.

Most of my students are not the withdrawn/bullied/isolated/anonymous types sometimes profiled as potential shooters. They're pretty "out there" with their hostilities. Still, no amount of profiling can predict this type of thing. Of course, as we see with the Amish school, it is just as likely a violent intruder is not a student at all.

Eve
Eve,

We have the same color-code thing.
Last year there was a general threat called into a TV station about someone threatening a school in our part of the state. Someone in my building decided we should evacuate, so we were standing outside! No staff knew what was happening for sure, but everyone handled it very well. When our principal came back from lunch, we were all crammed on buses to head to a local community college. Since that is also a school, (duh!) we drove around until the deadline the caller had given had passed.
This summer we had LE give a workshop on lockdown drills, which we are required by law to have this year. It's scary stuff. I now keep my cell phone on me all the time.
We do worry about disgruntled students, although our building is K-8. But you're right, I worry more about parents with a grudge. You really have to think it through when you need to talk to a parent about something and how they might take it.
That said, I love my job, and try to remember why I do it...the kids. Nothing beats the 'Eureka!' moment..... :D

>Our government is being very lax in taking care of this horrendous problem

Aren't there already laws against murder? What else would you have them do?

Sherlockmom said:
>Our government is being very lax in taking care of this horrendous problem

Aren't there already laws against murder? What else would you have them do?

Safeguard our children is what they need to do......!!!!!
Right now any wing nut can walk into many schools in the US & take them as hostages / shoot as many as they want or can before LE gets there.

The laws we have feed the sick purps 3 meals a day / give them a free trial. Then feed & house them as long as they live. Something is wrong with that scenario. While grieving families pay high medical bills / funeral expenses etc etc Its just wrong!

cheko1 said:
The laws we have feed the sick purps 3 meals a day / give them a free trial.
If you're ever accused of something, I'm sure you'll be glad to be able to eat while awaiting a trial to try to prove your innocence.

GlitchWizard said:
If you're ever accused of something, I'm sure you'll be glad to be able to eat while awaiting a trial to try to prove your innocence.
We're speaking of school shootings / murders where the purps are known to be guilty. I understand where your coming from. But the school shootings need to STOP ASAP. Most of the purps are chicken chits & shoot themselves luckily. But look at the devastation they create in families lives.

Look at the kid who shot the principal in Wi Fox news stated he planned to kill more people. No death penalty in Wi......we'll have to support him for many years, he is 15 yrs old.

I deleted where I was saying that if someone is obviously guilty - a bullet is fine. Sorry. :-) It's way cheaper to feed him the rest of his life than to have the death penalty the way it is anyway - it's a messed up system.

cheko1 said:
We're speaking of school shootings / murders where the purps are known to be guilty. I understand where your coming from. But the school shootings need to STOP ASAP. Most of the purps are chicken chits & shoot themselves luckily. But look at the devastation they create in families lives.

Look at the kid who shot the principal in Wi Fox news stated he planned to kill more people. No death penalty in Wi......we'll have to support him for many years, he is 15 yrs old.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glitterbag
Back