Identified! WI - Racine Co., WhtFem 199UFWI, 14-25, cauliflower ear, July 1999 #2 - Peggy Lynn Johnson *Guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Linda's facebook page is a joke. Her heading is "above all be honest be kind, treat people with love and forgiveness don't tolerate disrespect." It's easy to find, first one that popped up. Looks like she's still in the caregiving business.

which she started in 1997.

Who knows how many years of abuse poor Peggy had from this evil witch! I hope she gets some of that in prison!

At least the photo of Peggy Lynn Johnson looks happy. I so hope her life until 18 when she was cared for by her mother was a happy one.

I'm extremely interested in how they got to murder - even if the suspect had exclusive care, after all of these years, did they have evidence other than exclusive control and failure to report a death? Good for them for charging. Circumstantial evidence is evidence and so often I see very cautious charging even when it is clear what happened.

Also - it looks like the perp has a recent DUI.

ETA - that facebook page is all fundraisers!

Welcome to Lee County Sheriff s Office

Last edited:
I am actually not that surprised that Peggy was murdered by a caretaker at all. The details of her murder and the days leading up to it (being starved, various injuries in different stages of healing) fall in line with this outcome.

Also, for many years, people have compared Peggy's murder with the murder of Mary Kate Chamizo, another intellectually-disabled woman who was murdered in Illinois in the same year.

Two men (I believe) confessed to Mary Kate's murder, but here is another theory that seems all-the-more interesting now that we know what actually happened to Peggy:

Mary Kate Sunderlin allegedly fell into contact with two women, a mother and a daughter, who were known to exploit the elderly and disabled in the spring of 1999. This is when contact between Mary Kate and her family became sparse as the two women attempted to prevent contact. They also used her bank card to withdraw large sums of cash. Even worse, they arranged a secret marriage between Mary Kate Sunderlin and Gonzalo Chamizo a mere 3 weeks prior to Sunderlin’s disappearance.

(From: Mary Kate Sunderlin — Ghost Writer Grown Up)
Caretaker abuse is (unfortunately) not that uncommon, but I'm wondering if Linda may have had other victims. I know that it's highly unlikely, but given that she already tortured, sexually assaulted, and murdered one lady over a period of years, I wouldn't put it past her to kill again.

NEVER MIND: The timeline does not add up. If the theory is true, Mary Kate would have met these women at the same time Linda was living with Peggy.

Last edited:
Racine County Sheriff's Office identifies 1999 Jane Doe as Peggy Lynn Johnson

"It was not until only a few weeks ago that Johnson was discovered as a possible identity for the Jane Doe, Schmaling said.

The tip that led to La Roche's arrest came from "a concerned citizen" in Cape Coral who said that La Roche had been "telling people that she had killed a woman back when she lived in Illinois," according to the criminal complaint.

Upon interviewing La Roche's children, the Sheriff's Office learned that Johnson had been taken into the home and "would act as a nanny and housekeeper in exchange for living with the family," according to the complaint. "Laroche’s children recall that Laroche was very abusive to Peggy and that it was not uncommon for Peggy to have signs of injuries from Laroche. At times when not working for the family, Peggy would be made to sleep and stay in a crawl space under the home. Laroche was verbally and emotionally cruel to Peggy, at times screaming at her like an animal. One recalled Laroche stabbing at Peggy’s head with a pitchfork, one recalled Laroche slapping Peggy in the head and face. They all recalled seeing Peggy with injuries and one even asked Peggy what had happened to her after noticing a black eye. Peggy told the child, who was then an adult, that Laroche had punched her.""

Racine County Sheriff's Office identifies 1999 Jane Doe as Peggy Lynn Johnson

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children released a new artist’s rendering in 2012 of an unidentified woman whose body was found in a Raymond cornfield in 1999.

• SUBMITTED PHOTO

Racine County investigators comb the area where the body of a young woman was found in July 1999 along 92nd Street in the Town of Raymond. The woman had been tortured, beaten, sexually assaulted and possibly denied food before she died.

upload_2019-11-8_13-0-36.png

Racine County Sheriff Christopher Schmaling announces Friday the identify of "Jane Doe." She was Peggy Lynn Johnson.

Racine County investigators comb the area where the body of a young woman was found in July 1999 along 92nd Street in the Town of Raymond. The woman had been tortured, beaten, sexually assaulted and possibly denied food before she died.

A funeral service was held for a woman who had been a Jane Doe on Oct. 27, 1999 at Holy Family Cemetery in Caledonia.

Sandi Muleski, of Racine, bows her head during a funeral service on Oct. 27, 1999 at Holy Family Cemetery in Caledonia. The service was held for a woman who had been a Jane Doe, but whose identity was revealed by the Racine County Sheriff's Office Frida

We finally know who she was.

After pursuing thousands of leads over the past 20 years, the Racine County Sheriff’s Office announced they now know the identity of the young woman that had been known as “Jane Doe.”

Her name was Peggy Lynn Johnson.

Johnson's identity, and the identity of the suspected killer, were made public Friday morning during a press conference led by Sheriff Christopher Schmaling.

The suspect in the case has been identified as Linda Sue La Roche.

"After her mother died, Peggy was approximately 18 years old, cognitively impaired, on her own, and went searching for help at a medical clinic in McHenry, Illinois. There, she met a registered nurse named Linda La Roche, who recognized Peggy's disability and took her into her home," Sheriff Christopher Schmaling explained Friday.

Jane Doe to be identified 20 years after her death

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee
Back