Not open for further replies.
JS ONLINE: NEWS:
HDR_daywatch_interior.gif
» Go to SportsWatch | Got a tip?

selected_news_item.gif
FRIDAY, March 3, 2006, 10:52 a.m.
By Gina Barton

Avery nephew pleads not guilty

Manitowoc - The 16-year-old nephew of Steven Avery entered a not guilty plea this morning to charges he helped his uncle rape and murder Teresa Halbach and burn her remains.

Brendan Dassey was ordered held on a $250,000 cash bail, which his attorney suggested was unfairly high.
Dassey, said attorney Ralph Sczygelski, "has never been in trouble," and "was victimized by Mr. Avery."

To that, Calumet County District Attorney Ken Kratz promptly replied, "The only victim in this case was Miss Halbach."

Dassey was going to be held in a juvenile facility in either Sheboygan or Manitowoc.

Dassey, who lives near his uncle at the family's sprawling Two Rivers auto salvage property, was charged with being a party to first-degree intentional homicide, first-degree sexual assault and mutilating a corpse.

Though Avery was charged in November in the death of Halbach, 25, authorities were unable to piece together exactly what happened to her until they talked to Dassey this week. Officials announced details of the new charges on Thursday.

http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=1&date=3/3/2006&id=3305

This article is the most deatailed one I've seen (warning: graphic):

http://www.fdlreporter.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060303/FON0101/603030700/1289

Steven Avery used a false name to lure freelance photographer Teresa Halbach to his home, where he and his 16-year-old nephew, Brendan R. Dassey, sexually assaulted and killed her...

Avery specifically requested Halbach when he called Auto Trader magazine for a photographer, asking for "the girl who was out here before,"...

Avery used the name "B. Janda" when making the appointment. Avery's sister's name is Barb Janda.
According to Kratz, Dassey told investigators this week that he went to Avery's trailer about 4 p.m. Oct. 31 to deliver a letter, and was several hundred feet away when he heard a woman screaming for help.

He told police Avery let him in the trailer, and showed him Halbach, who was nude and shackled to a bed. The boy said Avery told him he had sexually assaulted Halbach multiple times, and encouraged the boy to do so, too.

Dassey told police he sexually assaulted Halbach, before he and Avery killed her while she was screaming and begging for help.

After Avery and Dassey killed Halbach by stabbing and strangling her, Avery told the boy "what a good job he did," Kratz said.

They then took Halbach to a detached garage, where Avery shot her about 10 times with a .22 caliber rifle before they burned her body. Dassey told investigators he thinks Halbach already was dead when they took her to the garage.

hoppyfrog said:
This article is the most deatailed one I've seen (warning: graphic):

http://www.fdlreporter.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060303/FON0101/603030700/1289

Steven Avery used a false name to lure freelance photographer Teresa Halbach to his home, where he and his 16-year-old nephew, Brendan R. Dassey, sexually assaulted and killed her...

Avery specifically requested Halbach when he called Auto Trader magazine for a photographer, asking for "the girl who was out here before,"...

Avery used the name "B. Janda" when making the appointment. Avery's sister's name is Barb Janda.
According to Kratz, Dassey told investigators this week that he went to Avery's trailer about 4 p.m. Oct. 31 to deliver a letter, and was several hundred feet away when he heard a woman screaming for help.
Premeditation.

Good Student? LOL!! I was reading an account of the hearing that was held for Dassey this morning and in a plea to have bail reduced his attorney said he was a good student?? Didn't his mother just say in an interview yesterday that he was failing almost every class? I guess the definition of a good student has changed since I've been in school.

I have read all of the articles on this case, but this one is sooo disturbing. How 2 people, and one only 16, could do this to another human being is beyond me. The last moments (and possibly hours) of her life were horrible beyond imagination.

There really is no true "justice" in this world for this type of demented depravity! Truly, nothing we could ever do to them would be horrible enough to pay for this crime!

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/13993895.htm

spclk said:
I have read all of the articles on this case, but this one is sooo disturbing. How 2 people, and one only 16, could do this to another human being is beyond me. The last moments (and possibly hours) of her life were horrible beyond imagination.

There really is no true "justice" in this world for this type of demented depravity! Truly, nothing we could ever do to them would be horrible enough to pay for this crime!

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/13993895.htm
:( I totally agree .I feel so bad for theresa's family having to hear what happened to her.this should definately be a DP case.

This is all so very sad. No one should have to go out of this world like that. :(

Mr. Avery is such an a$$ to think he would get away with this.

I don't see anything in that complaint that says Dassey was under any kind of duress during the commission of the crimes. No threats of "do it or I'll kill you" or "if you tell anyone I'll kill you." More like some sick family bonding experience, like the uncle taking his nephew fishing for the 1st time. "You did a great job" "I'm glad we did this together."

I just wonder what was going through Teresa's mind when the knock came at the door, & instead of being rescued, this fat stupid kid joins in. Pure evil...

As many others have said, why oh why can't there be a death penalty in WI......... this is horrifying. That poor, poor woman. :(

Full story: http://www.startribune.com/484/story/282653.html

Brendan Dassey, a nephew of Steven Avery, told of a nude woman shackled in a bed, begging for help as she was stabbed and her throat slit, according to the complaint filed Thursday against the teen. Avery, 43, was charged earlier but has denied knowledge of the death.

<< snip >>

The first account of how the 25-year-old Halbach allegedly was put to death Oct. 31 was so graphic that special prosecutor Ken Kratz warned the live-broadcast audience Thursday to keep children away.

Also, "if there are any friends or family members of Teresa Halbach, if you knew Miss Halbach before she was killed, it's our suggestion ... that you not listen to this press conference," he said before giving details from the complaint.

<< snip >>

Afterward, Dassey said he and Avery left the bedroom and watched television before Avery went back and stabbed Halbach in the stomach and told Dassey to slit her throat, which he did, the complaint said.

I read the complaint this morning and can honestly say I have never never imagined anyone could do this to another human being. I feel so bad for her and her family they are in my prayers. This will haunt me forever. And I have 3 young ladies to worry about without this.

The nephew has to be lying what 16 year old would not pick the camera and cell phone out of the burn pit and check out if they worked or not. Also hearing the screams for help who wouldn't turn around and get mom if not call the police. He had to have been in on it from the begining. And to plead not guilty? after that statement. I could believe him more if he had made a plea agreement to get a lighter sentence. Premeditated without a doubt on both their parts. I pray there is someone out there crazy enough to shoot the SOB during the trial. Since it has been stated there is no DP there.

> No threats of "do it or I'll kill you" or "if you tell anyone I'll kill you." More like some sick family bonding experience, like the uncle taking his nephew fishing for the 1st time. "You did a great job" "I'm glad we did this together<

Thats the take I got on it as well. More of a bonding experience between the two of them. He never mentioned resisting or trying to talk his uncle out of harming the girl. But I'll bet once the trial starts he'll embellish the story a bit to make it sound like he had no choice.

I read today that emotions are running high in the area. Another comment was that they hoped they were guarding him very well as people were in a lynching mood.

I do not think it sets well that Avery walked away with a large chunk of taxpayer money either.

It sounded to me like his attorney plans to ask for a change of venue for the trial.

Sherlockmom

I know sometimes I post from the heart too much. But this family doesn't even deserve a modicum of respect or an inch of presumed innocent.The facts are horrific. Teresa suffered the depths of hell. I don't care if there is a lynch mob. They need to enact the death penalty and quit paying perverts for their crimes.

>Findley said he was "horrified and saddened by these allegations" and removed the photos out of sensitivity to the Halbach family. But he said he had no regrets about helping free Avery in the earlier case.<

This is just appalling. No regrets???? Are they not human? What arrogance! How do those people sleep at night?

I'll bet Avery and Dassey's lawyers hope they can get a change in venue to Madison. Maybe these people can sit in the audience at the trial and cry for them. You know, be there for moral support.

Maybe the governor can use photos of him and Avery together for his next campaign.

Do you think any of those people volunteer for victim's groups? Truly, a mental disorder of some kind :furious:

http://wfrv.com/topstories/local_story_062135626.html

Sherlockmom

I just do not understand why this 16-year-old would rape and murder this young woman along with his uncle.

I don't understand why a 16-year-old would approach a trailer and knock on the door when he heard a woman screaming loudly. Wouldn't you run home and tell your mother or call the police?? Is that kind of thing a normal occurrence around there?

What 16-year-old would willingly participate in the rape and murder because their uncle encouraged him to do so?? This is so sick.

I am glad that this kid told the whole story. He and his sick, demented uncle will hopefully pay the price for this senseless, brutal crime. I hope to hell Steve Avery gets the death penalty.

I live in Madison. If they moved the trial here, that would be just fine. We might not have the local outrage that they have up there but there will be no mercy for these sick bastards no matter where the trial is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia