WI - Teresa Marie Halbach, 25, Manitowoc, 31 Oct 2005

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bobbisangel said:
That SOB better not get to walk out of that courtroom. If that defense team gets him off then I hope someone catches every one of them including Avery out somewhere on a dark night. Avery doesn't deserve to live and a defense attorneys job isn't to get a guilty person off but to give them a good defense.
That attorney might be a good defense attorney but he must not be much of a human being if he even thinks about getting this fat evil slob off.

I hope the Pros has all of the evidence that they need to hang Avery. Teresa didn't just go there and cut herself up and light herself on fire. And I hope there isn't a jury anywhere that would ever fall for the "they set me up" bull chit. Interesting because the locals weren't even working the case because they didn't want him to be able to use that for a defense. I don't think a jury will buy that. One look at Avery and their decision will be made. Will the Pros be able to use that drawing that Avery made when he was in prison? The one that had the drawing of the thing he wanted to build to torture and murder women? I hope so.
I doubt the prosecution will be able to use the drawing, and if I were them, I wouldn't put it in at all. They don't need it, and plus, it would open a door to an appeal later because that drawing is likely not relevant enough and very prejudicial. (from a legal perspective, of course)

I think the locals screwed up some b/c they did conduct searches and did find important evidence. But - I also think they did a good job of recognizing early that this "setup" would be a defense, and they tried to work around it. Even so, I don't think the jury will go for the "setup" defense - b/c of what you said - who did kill Theresa then? Sorry, I don't think any reasonable jury could think cops would go that far to murder a woman and plant all the evidence on Avery.

Although you might like to string up the attorneys - remember this: the better the defense, the less likely he is to win any appeal. I don't think there's anyone good enough to get him off w/ these facts...

SewingDeb said:
Link for live streaming:

http://wfrv.dayport.com/viewer/view...ntract_DefID=1&Contract_DefID=2&Category_ID=5

They have a woman on the stand who is explaining about the photography and how the office handles it...forms, procedures, etc. This was Theresa's 5th visit to Avery's property.

Her fifth visit to his property. She probably had no fear of him at all if she had been there that many times. Gives me the chills down my spine.

Will this be shown each day on that live streaming? I don't know anything about live streaming. Will it just show parts of the trial? You might know that his trial would begin at the same time as that monster Coeys. Darn it. I want to keep up with both of them!

Ang50 said:
I know, Lady, you'd rather just hang them both yourself :) but I can't help thinking it's just not fair.)
Tell me when and where, I will be there!

At least the judge threw out the defense attorney's request for a mistrial...defense attorneys always try and they always fail.

Lady GL said:
Tell me when and where, I will be there!

At least the judge threw out the defense attorney's request for a mistrial...defense attorneys always try and they always fail.
Yes, although now of course they're setting up for the appeal. But - the problem w/ that is an appeal will get bounced around the courts, and judges in this state are ELECTED. No judge will overturn Avery's conviction...

That is one thing this state has going for itself, judges are elected, not put into place for life. It's not just Evil Avery, there are so many horrendous crimes in this state and no death penalty, people have had enough. The amendment "to explore" bringing back the death penalty here passed last election for a reason.

Avery and his lawyers can appeal six ways to Sunday, he will never be set free...and it angers me it will not bother him a bit.

Dassey's trial I don't know what to think, he is young but the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Lady GL said:
It's not just Evil Avery, there are so many horrendous crimes in this state and no death penalty, people have had enough. The amendment "to explore" bringing back the death penalty here passed last election for a reason.
Hi Lady GL.... I'm from the sort of the same area as you.... South central WI. Just because I'm in a hurry and don't have the time right now to look the info up- I wondered if you knew.. did that amendment to 'explore the DP' pass statewide? or just in certain counties. I don't remember hearing about it here in the capital area.

ETA: I was looking through the "Courtroom Journal" that two reporters are keeping online about the trial- it's pretty good coverage for those of us who can't watch it all online. The link to the journals from WFRV.com is:

http://wfrv.com/courtblog/?b_start=15

One more thing. There is a fantastic, informative overview of the case written by one of the people doing the "Courtroom Journals". If you go to this link http://wfrv.com/courtblog/?b_start=15 and go to the second page of the journaling, it's titled "Why This Case is So Important". The author of the blog entry is Angenette Levy, a reporter on the case from the start. If you have the time, try to go over there and read it. It's a great overview for the start of the trial.

This information comes from the Courtroom Journal. Has anyone heard this before?

One Day Down... 30 More To Go

http://wfrv.com/courtblog/local_blogentry_043184220.html
New information to come out of the state's case is the fact that 6 samples of Avery’s blood were found in Halbach’s vehicle, hidden in the Avery salvage yard. Also that bone fragments reveal that Halbach was shot at least twice in the head.

Dean Strang calls Avery’s arrest the result of “tunnel vision” by investigators. He claims two deputies planted the blood in the car, to prove their own assumptions, that Avery was guilty of her death. He says Avery spoke with his girlfriend by phone the afternoon he allegedly killed Halbach, and nothing sounded out of the ordinary. He presented dispatch calls, which he says has deputies talking about arresting Avery, 30 minutes after Halbach’s car was found in the salvage yard. He claims other human remains were found in two other burn barrels nearby. He urged jurors not to make the same mistake they made back in 1985, when he was sent to prison for a rape he didn’t commit.

http://wfrv.com/courtblog/?b_start=10

Other human remains in other burn barrels? What the heck is going on? Who's remains are they and who disposed of THOSE bodies? :sick:
And why on earth is AVERY'S attorney saying that.... isn't that prejudicial to Avery?

I don't know but I hope the jurors zero in on that. Other human bones? I wonder if this were true if they have found out whose bones they were.

mssheila said:
Hi Lady GL.... I'm from the sort of the same area as you.... South central WI. Just because I'm in a hurry and don't have the time right now to look the info up- I wondered if you knew.. did that amendment to 'explore the DP' pass statewide? or just in certain counties. I don't remember hearing about it here in the capital area.
Hey mssheila - here's the info:

MADISON, Wis. -- More than 150 years after the death penalty was repealed in Wisconsin, voters statewide carved a wider opening for the state Legislature to usher capital punishment into the 21st century.

A referendum on Tuesday's ballot asked voters whether the death penalty should be enacted for anyone convicted of first-degree intentional homicide if there is DNA evidence to support. The measure won by a vote of 55 percent to 45 percent margin.

http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/news/10270059/detail.html

I live smack dab in the middle of Milwaukee and Madison and have been following the court blog on jsonline.com. Another supposed bombshell yesterday, Dassey said Avery asked him to "help him dispose of a body" but then Dassey recanted and said Avery meant roadkill...yeah...right.....

The blog:

http://www.jsonline.com/blog/?id=307

Avery's attorney is trying very hard for a mistrial because that is the only defense he has.

Waukesha County signing in!!

Just to clarify - the DP was an advisory referendum. It would take a state consitutional amendment to actually have the DP.

Second - it wasn't Dassey testifying. It was ANOTHER cousin who looks just like him. It's really weird if you see the pics. The cousin almost caused a mistrial b/c he made that statement, which he had never said before in any interviews w/ police.

Lady GL said:
Hey mssheila - here's the info:

MADISON, Wis. -- More than 150 years after the death penalty was repealed in Wisconsin, voters statewide carved a wider opening for the state Legislature to usher capital punishment into the 21st century.

A referendum on Tuesday's ballot asked voters whether the death penalty should be enacted for anyone convicted of first-degree intentional homicide if there is DNA evidence to support. The measure won by a vote of 55 percent to 45 percent margin.

http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/news/10270059/detail.html

I live smack dab in the middle of Milwaukee and Madison and have been following the court blog on jsonline.com. Another supposed bombshell yesterday, Dassey said Avery asked him to "help him dispose of a body" but then Dassey recanted and said Avery meant roadkill...yeah...right.....

The blog:

http://www.jsonline.com/blog/?id=307

Avery's attorney is trying very hard for a mistrial because that is the only defense he has.

mom3dd said:
I don't know but I hope the jurors zero in on that. Other human bones? I wonder if this were true if they have found out whose bones they were.
Yeah - i'm not sure this is the best defense strategy. I listened to parts of his opener, and basically the defense is saying this is a setup. That there were bones found in a quarry, burned, and that then Teresa's bones showed up on the Avery's. That someone burned her somewhere else, then dumped her bones at Avery's.

Ang50 said:
Yeah - i'm not sure this is the best defense strategy. I listened to parts of his opener, and basically the defense is saying this is a setup. That there were bones found in a quarry, burned, and that then Teresa's bones showed up on the Avery's. That someone burned her somewhere else, then dumped her bones at Avery's.

I knew that this would be the defense as soon as Teresa's body was discovered at Averys. "They were out to get me" "I've been setup." Like all of those officers got together from all of the towns around there and decided to setup this fat slob. Give me a break. This is probably why he committed this crime...he knew he could use this defense. It better not work. It is bizarre.

One of the burning barrells is missing. I wonder what the heck happened to it? Maybe that is the barrell that the defense will say some other bones were found in. I highly doubt that someone burned Teresa's body elsewhere and then fished the bones out and planted them at Averys. What does he think...that LE all over the country made him the center of their universe and they sat around thinking of ways to "get" him :furious: Then they decided to murder a young innocent girl and frame him for it. :banghead:

There is also the blood in a vial that the Pros has asked to be sent to the FBI lab to be tested to see if there is an additive added to it. The defense are saying there was something crooked about this vial of blood that was left unprotected. As it is the Pros who has sent the vial of blood to the lab I don't think there is anything in that vial of Avery's blood that shouldn't be there but it will take months for the test results to come back so they are going ahead with the trial. It is supposedly blood from this vial that was used in Teresa's car to frame Avery!

I just think the whole "more bones" strategy is more likely to make the jury think that Avery has potentially killed MORE people - not that there's a different killer on the loose.

Ang50 said:
I just think the whole "more bones" strategy is more likely to make the jury think that Avery has potentially killed MORE people - not that there's a different killer on the loose.

I think this is going to backfire on the defense too. If I were on the jury I would connect more bones with Avery. I wonder what the defense is thinking!

When the results of that blood vial come back from the FBI comes back it is either going to make the case for the Pros or make it for the defense. I doubt that the Pros would have pushed to have it tested if it was going to work against them though.

Ang50 said:
Second - it wasn't Dassey testifying. It was ANOTHER cousin who looks just like him. It's really weird if you see the pics. The cousin almost caused a mistrial b/c he made that statement, which he had never said before in any interviews w/ police.
Geez, you mean there are more of them? Now that is a frightening thought!

I am trying to follow this case closely but in the back of my mind I know what the outcome will be...no way will Avery be acquitted. I don't fault his defense attorneys to do the best job with what they are given but they are really reaching for straws.

Lady GL said:
Geez, you mean there are more of them? Now that is a frightening thought!

I am trying to follow this case closely but in the back of my mind I know what the outcome will be...no way will Avery be acquitted. I don't fault his defense attorneys to do the best job with what they are given but they are really reaching for straws.

I believe that Bobby Dassey is Brendan's brother...an older brother. I believe there are two other brother's also. Four up and coming Dassey boys :eek:

I was surprised to read that a uncle of Avery's had been a deputy sheriff. I would love to know his take on all of this. Sounds like he is retired. His last name is also Avery.

Where is Avery getting the money to pay for a defense with these high powered attornies? Surely they aren't doing this out of the goodness of their hearts are they? I thought the Halbacks had gotten Avery's money frozen through the court system as they have a civil suit in progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia