WI - Teresa Marie Halbach, 25, Manitowoc, 31 Oct 2005

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lady GL said:
You are most welcome!

They will be both be found guilty, sentenced to long prison terms and supported on my tax dollars....ain't America great...sarcasm intended....:furious:

They both deserve the death penalty for what they did to that poor girl. I'll bet her family still have nightmares over it. I can't imagine anyone doing such horrible things to another person. And they don't have an ounce of remorse.
Brendan is going to find out that he wasn't such a big dog when he gets into big boy prison. Those cons will love having a young kid coming in. His butt will be theirs before the first night is over. Maybe someone in there will do us all a favor and end Avery's misery. They will know what he is in for and I hope they make his life hell day and night.

Judge rules on evidence...

http://www.htrnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061213/MAN0101/612130485/1984

Judge OK's police interview w/ Avery, OK's searches over a week long period, but disallows *advertiser censored* found. This is consistent with what I would expect. *advertiser censored* would be more prejudicial than probative, so it should be kept out.

The only one that I think is interesting - the judge OK'ed taped phone conversations from jail. He said Avery had notice of the taping. I don't find the equal protection argument persuasive - that a rich man would have gotten out on bond and not been taped, but I wonder about privacy issues. Obviously, no attorney conversations could be admitted, and I'd just be shocked if Avery said anything incriminating to family, friends, etc. That would just be beyond stupid... oh well. I wonder what's in the phone calls.

Against Avery...I am in shock:

Rape, kidnapping charges against Avery dropped

By TOM KERTSCHER
tkertscher@journalsentinel.com

Posted: Jan. 29, 2007

Just before potential jurors began to gather for Steven Avery's trial, a judge today dismissed two of the six charges filed against Avery in the rape and murder of photographer Teresa Halbach.

The request to drop charges of rape and kidnapping was made by prosecutors. Avery is still charged with first-degree intentional homicide, false imprisonment and mutilating a corpse, as well as being a felon in possession of a firearm. Raymond Dall'Osto, a Milwaukee criminal defense attorney who is not involved in the case, said prosecutors have an ethical obligation to drop charges if they lack sufficient evidence to prove them. But he said prosecutors in this case also might have feared a "ripple effect" - that if the jury had doubts about the rape and kidnapping charges, that could carry over to the homicide charge, as well.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=558340

This is awful this Jack *advertiser censored** is going to get away with it. I am speechless

Teresa's brother said they have enough on him....

and it's not for sure whether or not the nephew will be questioned on the stand. If he does, it will all come out.

Avery will not get away with it..he will be found guilty of murder and sentenced to life in prison...where he will get the best medical care in the state, access to a complete library, legal counsel, food, a bed and heat all on our tax dollars. Prison is not prison for the mentality of Avery, it's Club Med. :mad:

No, he will definitely not go free. The DA knew he could afford to let those other charges drop, and actually, this likely works out better b/c it's less for the jury to consider and get confused on.

I don't think Dassey will testify - I doubt the DA will call him.

Heck, they could practically throw out all the DNA evidence and would still be able to convict him, IMHO.

1) He called and asked specifically for her.
2) No one saw her after the appointment.
3) Her car found on his premises.
4) Blood all over Avery's property. (regardless of whose it might be - if DNA tests out - still infer that it's hers)
5) Remains in a barrel on the property

Avery's having a trial just because he knows that the DA wouldn't cut a deal anyway, so he gives it a shot.

Word has it that Dassey tried to commit suicide before talking to LE...of course he didn't succeed...heard he had a rope around his neck and jumped off one of the Manitowoc bridges....either he didn't have it tied tight enough or it was too long (I know, I know)....he did hurt himself but don't know how bad... :truce:

1000Sparks said:
Word has it that Dassey tried to commit suicide before talking to LE...of course he didn't succeed...
I know I sound mean and jaded but too bad he didn't succeed. It would save us WI tax payers money, he knows what he did and he has to meet his maker eventually.....

Great gossip by the way, I was speaking to a co-worker yesterday who lives 10 miles from the Avery Junkyard and consensus there said guilty and public hanging for both of them now.

I nearly freaked when I heard that some of Avery's charges had been dropped. I feel better now after reading the posts here. I wonder why they can't prove the rape? I'm sure that the jury will be smart enough to figure that in anyway. They will take one look at Avery and know that he is a pervert that would rape before he murdered her. It seems like they could have taken the sheets from Avery's bed and found evidence from both of the creeps on them.

Avery won't get away with this murder. If he thinks he will then he is crazier then I thought. I'm curious to see if Dassy does testify in Avery's trial. He probably wouldn't be honest if he did though. I wonder if he still looks up to his wonderful uncle.... :sick:

I can understanding the kidnapping charge being dropped, she willingly went on his property, under false pretenses, but she went. They had a difficult time charging rape because there was not much left of her remains when found. Avery put her in a tire pit and burned her body for hours.

Avery is pure evil. He will never live free but he will always be taken care of thanks to the state and tax payers. :mad:

Totally agree .... he is pure evil. Did jury selection begin this morning?

mom3dd said:
This is awful this Jack *advertiser censored** is going to get away with it. I am speechless
He still has 4 very serious charges against him. According to the JS Online article:

Avery is still charged with first-degree intentional homicide, false imprisonment and mutilating a corpse, as well as being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Lady GL said:
I can understanding the kidnapping charge being dropped, she willingly went on his property, under false pretenses, but she went. They had a difficult time charging rape because there was not much left of her remains when found. Avery put her in a tire pit and burned her body for hours.

Avery is pure evil. He will never live free but he will always be taken care of thanks to the state and tax payers. :mad:
Kidnapping in WI (Stats. 940.31) and other states includes holding a person against their will by force or threat.

But without Dassey's testimony or DNA - it would be harder to prove either. Plus, it dilutes the case. It won't do the DA any good to convict Avery on these additional charges - if he's convicted of murder, he goes to jail for life whether or not he's also convicted of kidnapping or sex assault. (else the judge risks lynching, IMHO.) If those charges stay - then the DA risks that the jury might decide (based on Avery's conspiracy theories, or whatever) to convict Avery of the lesser crimes. If he gets off on murder, then he may not have life in prison. So the DA forces the hand of the jury, so to speak, b/c they would not want to see this man go free.

mssheila said:
He still has 4 very serious charges against him. According to the JS Online article:

Avery is still charged with first-degree intentional homicide, false imprisonment and mutilating a corpse, as well as being a felon in possession of a firearm.
False imprisonment under 940.30 is confining w/o consent. It's a much lower sentence than kidnapping, and much easier to prove b/c you don't have to show force or threat.

Jsonline.com has updated, ongoing coverage of the voir dire. I think some of the judge's rulings have already opened him up for an appeal, but not one that would lead to overturning a verdict.

http://wfrv.com/homepage/local_story_030140609.html

trial will be live streamed on the net, here is the link,

loads of background about the case too,

defence is going to be LE planted the blood as revenge for his civil suit over his conviction and time served for rape that he did not commit,

hope the pros is tough, as his defence attys sound as if they are up for a good fight,

givree said:
http://wfrv.com/homepage/local_story_030140609.html

trial will be live streamed on the net, here is the link,

loads of background about the case too,

defence is going to be LE planted the blood as revenge for his civil suit over his conviction and time served for rape that he did not commit,

hope the pros is tough, as his defence attys sound as if they are up for a good fight,
His defense attorney, Dean Strang, is one of the best in the state, if not nation. He's a adjunct law professor, and one of the top paid defense attorneys in the state. http://www.hbslawfirm.com/profiles.php

He works for the firm that my law professor owns. They are no question the lawyers I would hire if my neck was on the line.

They're really, really good. (And I know this isn't going to be a popular view - but it pisses me off that Avery gets this kind of amazing defense, and Dassey gets a public defender. Seems to me that the kid might have a chance at rehabilitation, but not Avery. I know, Lady, you'd rather just hang them both yourself :) but I can't help thinking it's just not fair.)

Ken Kratz got his law degree in 1985. I would assume he's been a DA for quite some time - but Calumet County is small. This is likely the case of his career, and he knows it.

Here's an interesting blog covering Avery (don't read if you don't want to think that Avery might get off...)

http://www.convolutedbrian.com/is-kratz-pulling-a-sneddon.html

That SOB better not get to walk out of that courtroom. If that defense team gets him off then I hope someone catches every one of them including Avery out somewhere on a dark night. Avery doesn't deserve to live and a defense attorneys job isn't to get a guilty person off but to give them a good defense.
That attorney might be a good defense attorney but he must not be much of a human being if he even thinks about getting this fat evil slob off.

I hope the Pros has all of the evidence that they need to hang Avery. Teresa didn't just go there and cut herself up and light herself on fire. And I hope there isn't a jury anywhere that would ever fall for the "they set me up" bull chit. Interesting because the locals weren't even working the case because they didn't want him to be able to use that for a defense. I don't think a jury will buy that. One look at Avery and their decision will be made. Will the Pros be able to use that drawing that Avery made when he was in prison? The one that had the drawing of the thing he wanted to build to torture and murder women? I hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia