WI - Teresa Marie Halbach, 25, Manitowoc, 31 Oct 2005

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lady GL said:
Do the prosecutors know most of Theresa's family live in Calumet County - have long time friends there and have tons of support? Selecting a jury should be interesting.....

Get the noose ready, Avery does not stand a chance.

The article said that the jury will be picked from the county that Avery is from is what I understood it to say. The moved it because there are more courtrooms in Calumet County and it will make it easier for all of Teresa's family...relatives to attend. Avery has been jailed in Calumet County because of the law suit he had going when he was arrested. He'll be hung no matter where he is tried anyway. The judge is letting a lot of things in that the defense didn't want in. I'm glad to hear that. The defense was dumb to request that those things be thrown out anyway.

Now Branden can have his trial anytime he wants as Avery's has been moved to Jan...I believe. I wonder if they will have to give him another public defender or if that one will be able to stay on the case?

Kachinsky has been removed as Dassey's attorney and new trial date set for Nov 1, 2006.

"Dassey and his mother said Friday they wanted Kachinsky off the case, the opposite of what they told the court in a statement last week.

"I want him off the case," Dassey told the judge.

When pressed further, he said, "He's not helping me very much."

http://wfrv.com/local/local_story_237074739.html

"He's not helping me very much." What does she expect from an attorney anyway? Her kid helped murder a young girl, he raped her, he helped cut her up and burn her...and didn't they take her out in the garage and shot her too as there were bullet casings all over the place? There isn't an attorney in the world that is going to get this kid out of this mess. He did the crime and he is going to do the time. She can thank her slug of a brother for this.

"AP) MANITOWOC A judge has ruled out Stephen Avery's past crimes as evidence when he goes on trial for the rape and murder last Halloween of a 25-year-old photographer."

http://wfrv.com/local/local_story_270223818.html

Well, isn't that nice that Mr. Avery will go into his rape and murder trial with a clean slate. We wouldn't want the jury to get the wrong opinion of him.

Bet the defense will be able to mention how the Innocence Project freed him.

>Bet the defense will be able to mention how the Innocence Project freed him.<

I hope not!! I'm not sure if they can do that without leaving an opening for the prosecution to discuss past cases. I'm thinking why should they be allowed to discuss a case that it was eventually determined that he was supposedly innocent of and not allow the others?

A good portion of his prison sentence was for the attempted abduction/intimidation of the sheriff's wife with a weapon. He was still guilty of that one. I could see leaving out the robbery charges and all of his speeding tickets (if any) that really are not related to this crime at all. But some of his previous offenses are related in a way because they involve violence or the threat of violence to women. His letters from prison to his children and the threats made against his own wife I think are all relevant.

If I was the prosecutor and the judge allowed that the innocence project cases alone be allowed I would put up a big objection.

Some of Avery's past criminal behavior includes violence and threats of violence to women. I think that would be something the jury should know about.

They will be hard pressed to find jury members who know absolutely nothing about Avery or this case but that would be so with any very high profile murder. Just take a look at how the cable stations cover these things ad nauseum sometimes. You'd have to be living in a cave not to have caught at least some of it channel surfing, listening to the radio on the way to work, scanning newspaper headlines or spending anytime on the internet.

But then I believe that defense attorneys go way overboard in their requirements for jury members. One need not be completely ignorant of a case but be able to listen to all of the evidence and give a fair decision. They should be able to set aside what they have heard and start fresh with no biases or pre-conceived belief one way or the other.

And that would leave most of us out LOL!
It must be so difficult for the Halbach family to get all geared up for a trial this fall only to keep having things delayed once again. Not only is it justice delayed for Teresa but emotionally draining and painful for the family. This will not be an easy trial for them to sit through. I don't know how I would be able to do it without some serious drugs to calm me down. There can be no hell worse than having to sit there and listen to the horrible last moments of your child's life when the piece of scum who tortured and murdered her and then desecrated her body by dismembering it and burning it in trash cans is sitting right there in the courtroom within feet of you with his lawyers and probably a self-satisfied smirk on his face. I know I will be praying for them when this trial finally starts. And then they have the Dassey trial too. Those poor people:(

SewingDeb said:
Bet the defense will be able to mention how the Innocence Project freed him.
Defense won't talk about it, b/c prosecution is barred from talking about prior crimes. So if defense brings it up, then they have "opened the door" under Federal Rules of Evidence, and prosecution could talk about the crimes/alleged crimes that got him there in the first place.

Although, if any of that happened, the judge is likely to declare a mistrial before getting any further.

>Avery's girlfriend, Jodi Stachowski, gave detectives the camera in September while they were interviewing her, according to a search warrant return filed in Manitowoc County.<

Not really much here yet. Investigators will look at images as some criminals photograph their crimes. Stachowski claims only family pictures are on it.

http://wfrv.com/local/local_story_286204028.html

(WFRV) MANITOWOC COUNTY, Wis. It was a year ago today, Halloween 2005. Local freelance photographer, Teresa Halbach was scheduled to take pictures of three different used cars for the local Auto Trader Magazine. One of her scheduled appointments that day was at Avery's Auto Salvage near Mishicot.

The Salvage yard is owned and run by the family of Steven Avery, 43, who served 18-years in prison for a 1985 rape before being freed in 2003 when DNA evidence proved he was innocent.

Unfortunately, that day was the last time anyone heard or saw Teresa Halbach.

One year later, the Halbachs are still hurting over the loss of Teresa, but take solace in remembering how she lived her life.

more:

http://wfrv.com/topstories/local_story_304152218.html

Next Tuesday is election day and I am voting Yes to bring the death penalty back to Wisconsin...it won't save scum like Avery but it may make future criminals think long and hard about the needle in their arm......this week has been hard here......

>Next Tuesday is election day and I am voting Yes to bring the death penalty back to Wisconsin...it won't save scum like Avery but it may make future criminals think long and hard about the needle in their arm......this week has been hard here......<

It is an important first step for voters to tell their representatives how they feel about the subject. However it is only an advisory referendum. It will be interesting to see the results. A couple of state-wide polls have shown wide support. You don't hear much about it at all though no one is really talking about it. Perhaps because it is only advisory unlike the gay marriage amendment.

I would truly love to see Avery pay his debt to society. I thought about Teresa & her family alot last week.

"Prosecutors want to allow recorded conversations between Steven Avery and his family, friends and clergy, as evidence in his trial for murder.
more at link
http://www.wbay.com/Global/story.asp?S=5633970

Oooooooooo.....There must be something just a little bit interesting in those tapes.

Since he signed paperwork acknowledging that he understood all phone calls were being taped could he be that stupid???? My guess is YES!

Sherlockmom said:
Oooooooooo.....There must be something just a little bit interesting in those tapes.

Since he signed paperwork acknowledging that he understood all phone calls were being taped could he be that stupid???? My guess is YES!

That would be my guess too! He did sign a paper stating that he knew his calls were being recorded. Too bad Steve.

The legal argument here is not whether he knew about the recordings exactly, nor about bail either. The recordings are hearsay b/c they are out of court statements. So to use them - it would probably get in as a statement against interest. To get that, the witness has to be unavailable. I'm not sure that Avery is under case law, nor that his parents, etc. would be.

I would love to see the motions filed to support this. Does anyone know if they're available online?

Sherlockmom said:
It is an important first step for voters to tell their representatives how they feel about the subject. However it is only an advisory referendum. It will be interesting to see the results. A couple of state-wide polls have shown wide support. You don't hear much about it at all though no one is really talking about it. Perhaps because it is only advisory unlike the gay marriage amendment.

I would truly love to see Avery pay his debt to society. I thought about Teresa & her family alot last week.
The majority voted to bring back the death penalty....but as long as there is a Democrat as Governor it will never happen. Our current Governor won re-election and he said he would never allow the death penalty in Wisconsin.

Another three steps back....:banghead:

For some reason I thought that this trial had already started. Did it get changed to another date?

You are most welcome!

They will be both be found guilty, sentenced to long prison terms and supported on my tax dollars....ain't America great...sarcasm intended....:furious:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia