WI - Teresa Marie Halbach, 25, Manitowoc, 31 Oct 2005

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
MANITOWOC -The change in the attorney representing Steven Avery is not expected to delay a planned September trial.

Avery last week hired Dean Strang, an attorney with a Madison law firm, to represent him on charges connected to the Oct. 31 disappearance and death of Teresa Halbach.

Avery hired Strang, a former federal public defender, after Avery settled a federal civil law suit against Manitowoc County and become ineligible for representation by the state Public Defenders Office.

http://www.htrnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060227/MAN0101/60227044

Press conference tonight 8 pm CST. Calumet County Sheriff Jerry Pagel and DA Ken Kratz. A friend of Steven Avery said he saw body parts in a burn pit on the Avery property. He didn't come forward before because Avery threatened to kill him if he told what he saw.

Will post news articles as they become available.

Sherlockmom

Just came across the TV that a 16 year old came forward to police about his involvement in the Theresa Halbach case. He is in custody... Will post more as i know!

Always

I just have to say that this case has been on my mind for a long time and tonight it was like a lightbulb over my head how Avery was exonerated:

My theory: Avery did do the original rape but was later exonerated by the DNA evidence as we all know. Allen was also an offender. police had samples from both of them at some point...voila...a little mixup occurs somewhere along the way. Not that far fetched of an idea...infact if it is true that Avery had relatives in LE, perhaps a little DNA mixup could have even been "helped along" by someone. That DNA evidence was not tested while it was still on the victim's body, it was swabbed, bagged, labeled, and passed around. Even under the most stringent standards, mistakes can occur. If it was a mistake.

The victim ID'd him positively from a lineup. Given his alleged activities after his release, the probability is high that he's done something to escalate to those alleged activities.

He is a dim enough bulb to think that he did it and got off one time, he could get off again.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Just popped into my head. I'm sure some people will disagree.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/local/index.php?ntid=74672&ntpid=3

Avery's relative also arrested
CARRIE ANTLFINGER Associated Press

MISHICOT - A 16-year-old relative of Steven Avery will be charged along with Avery in the death of photographer Teresa Halbach, authorities said Wednesday night.

The boy was arrested Wednesday based on his own statements admitting his involvement, Calumet County Sheriff Jerry Pagel said.

Pagel said investigators have always considered the possibility that others were involved in Halbach's killing in addition to Avery, who served 18 years in prison for rape before DNA evidence exonerated him and he was freed in 2003.

"The 16-year-old juvenile admitted his involvement in the death of Teresa Halbach, as well as Steven Avery's involvement in this matter," the sheriff said.

I am glad this kid came forward.. I hope he will tell what really happened to Teresa - and seal Avery's fate!

I am not convinced that he was innocent in his prior rape conviction either... I agree with Bee Bee, mistakes can and do happen!

I saw a news video of the 16-year-old's mother. She was blaming Steven for what happened to her son of course. I'm sure she believes that her son was not a willing participant in this but I think otherwise.

see video here

http://www.wfrv.com/

Wasn't Steven's brother involved in some sexual assault charges in the past too? Something is weird about that whole family. Wonder what is going on there?

There should be more information this afternoon after another press conference. Hopefully by that time we will know the name of this 16 year old.

Sherlockmom

Teeth and bone fragments are all that's left! How sad. How can such young people do such cruel things. At least these two aren't going to get away with it. :behindbar

Jubie

I still think he was a party to the rape case.

lisag said:
I am glad this kid came forward.. I hope he will tell what really happened to Teresa - and seal Avery's fate!

I am not convinced that he was innocent in his prior rape conviction either... I agree with Bee Bee, mistakes can and do happen!

Yes, perhaps he had a helper the other time too and the helpers DNA is the only DNA found and based on that they released him...but perhaps he was still involved???

If anyone can understand what I just meant.

Sherlockmom said:
I saw a news video of the 16-year-old's mother. She was blaming Steven for what happened to her son of course. I'm sure she believes that her son was not a willing participant in this but I think otherwise.

see video here

http://www.wfrv.com/

Wasn't Steven's brother involved in some sexual assault charges in the past too? Something is weird about that whole family. Wonder what is going on there?

There should be more information this afternoon after another press conference. Hopefully by that time we will know the name of this 16 year old.

Sherlockmom
Back in Nov, they took DNA samples from 8 family members....post 94-98 on this thread.

Probably one of his nephews.

Halbach's screams for help became louder as he approached, Kratz said. After knocking, the boy waited until Avery came to the door. His uncle, covered in sweat, then asked the youth if he wanted to participate in raping Halbach, Kratz said.

Walking into the trailer, Dassey saw the young woman shackled to the bed, and heard her again begging for her life, Kratz said.

Avery directed his nephew to rape the woman, the prosecutor said. Dassey did so, while Avery watched from a doorway. The older man then complimented the 16-year-old.

Kratz said the pair went to another room, where Avery described to his nephew his plans to kill Halbach. He retrieved a butcher knife from the kitchen and stabbed Halbach in the stomach.

http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=1&date=3/2/2006&id=3284

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member