Will he get bail?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree there had to have been lots of convos around this prior. A $150K bond for a first degree murder charge would have been laughably low though in light of the circumstances, and I'm sure Kurtz must have known that.

I agree there had to have been lots of convos around this prior. A $150K bond for a first degree murder charge would have been laughably low though in light of the circumstances, and I'm sure Kurtz must have known that.

I'm sure he knew it but he still had to try. Still not impressed by the continuous attempts to circumvent the process which seems to be the battle plan to date.

Seems the defense could have come up with a better argument for bail - for example, the jailed one wants to speak to his kids more than twice a week, or he actually wants to see them on a set schedule, or he needs to keep his job so he can help take care of them. But I guess that wasn't as important as just keeping the job. Stripes are showing.

I was thinking about things from his family's point of view. Maybe they realize he's probably guilty. They love him and want to help him. On the other hand, they may not want to possibly jeopordize assets that they're hoping to leave to both sons or to grandchildren. They may be considering the effects of their actions on Nancy's family-there must be sympathy for her family. And it could be that his mother wants to do things that his father is not willing to do. I don't know.
It seems JY's family is the opposite-and look how that comes across.

RKAB, what do you mean by "Unfortunately..."?

Brad's parents have the means to post bail, if they wanted to, but "unfortunately" they: 1) don't care or want to 2) "unfortunately" they...I don't know exactly what you mean. Hope you will clarify. I know that you are in a place to "know" what you are talking about regarding Brad's family.

So, how is Brad's family going about their lives? Are they cowering in shame and embarrassment? Is it affecting the marriage of his parents in any visible way? Or are they a strong partnership who can weather any storm? I'd be interested in knowing the tone in Medicine Hat, if you happen to have heard.

I should have been more specific, my computer time has been so limited lately that I only popped on for a minute. I meant "unfortunately" as in, unfortunately, he gets the option of bail if someone wants to help him out. I wish he didn't have bail as an option. Even with bail set quite high, his parents, from all outwards appearances, are still quite financially stable. It might take them a few days to consolidate things to be able to post bail if they wanted to. It might not be all liquid asset at this point. I am not privy to their current financial situation at all but given past history and current situation, I personally think they are more than able to afford the bond. Even a second mortgage on their home, if they even still have a first, would be an option. They're in a very nice neighbourhood in Medicine Hat. It's not enormous or anything but it's in a very very good and sought after spot and would be worth a fair amount simply because of the location.

Life goes on for his family. I think that his parents will weather through this. His dad continues to work. The community is respecting their privacy, but there's always the normal gossip. There's the neighbourhood "talk" but no one is addressing it directly with the Coopers, just a lot of comments about how distant and detached they seem to be. As I've said previously, his dad is quite high in the community and quite respected. He was active on several boards. There were several people who got mad at the local paper for publishing details about Brad's family, their employment, etc. so there is a bit of a belief in not discussing that type of information, respecting their privacy, etc.

I don't believe Brad is a flight risk. He knows that Canada would send him back anyways and I'm pretty sure he'd stick out in Mexico. If his parents are still able to post bail, I can't speak to why they wouldn't post it. There might be a disagreement between the parents as to whether or not they should. I think it would be looked at as a financial tie-up as opposed to a moral issue.

What's the next step in this process? Does he plead "not guilty?" How soon will they be setting the trial date? Thanks for any info anybody has on this stuff.

RKAB - I have serious doubts that the jailed one would not run - he has proven himself to be very very sneaky. I have doubts he wouldn't be spending his time trying to figure a way to go somewhere - France even. Sneaky man he is.

I agree with RC - I don't think that it's ever in the public's best interest to allow bail for anyone that is either a not a US citizen, or has family and resources in another country (see Cesar Lauren's escape to Mexico and the subsequent fiasco in trying to bring him back....) I believe that he'd spend his time trying to beat the system and that would mean getting the heck out of Dodge.

BC needs to be parked in jail - with full availability to his lawyer to 'work on clearing his name'. (RNC rolls eyes...)

Besides - if we went back to work - how the heck could he 'focus on preparing his case' - isn't that what HK said he needed to do - prepare? If he's working 40+ at Cisco, is he gonna be at HK's in the evenings and on the weekend???? he has MUCH more free time now.

Really - my eyes are getting tired from all the rolling going on here.

ok my blonde is showing... BC doesn't have a home anymore -- isn't it usually a condition that the person has somewhere to live if they're released on bail???

... I don't believe Brad is a flight risk. He knows that Canada would send him back anyways and I'm pretty sure he'd stick out in Mexico. If his parents are still able to post bail, I can't speak to why they wouldn't post it. There might be a disagreement between the parents as to whether or not they should. I think it would be looked at as a financial tie-up as opposed to a moral issue.

Wasn't it mentioned very early on in this case that Brad could potentially be a danger to himself or had a history of threatening suicide?

I think that the only reason Brad Cooper would have threatened suicide to Nancy would have been to show control, in that IF he killed himself, she would NOT get his insurance money. You can't get life insurance money if you kill yourself, right?

Agree that BC would have likely used the threat of suicide as a means of trying to control Nancy but thought that BC's history of either an actual attempt or threat was raised very early in these threads - an attempt as an adolescent (??) or maybe it came up when Nancy's family requested the psych eval (??). Don't want to inject something new but could have sworn I read that here on WS.

In any case, it would be another very good reason to set the bail high - keep him under supervision until trial. His family may also be cautious about posting bail for this reason.

BC seems to have a tendancy to try to put himself in the best possible light or try to garner sympathy to protect his ego - I could totally see him playing that card if he felt he was out of options. IMO :boohoo:

As for insurance - think you are correct about a policy being void by suicide.

Agree that BC would have likely used the threat of suicide as a means of trying to control Nancy but thought that BC's history of either an actual attempt or threat was raised very early in these threads - an attempt as an adolescent (??) or maybe it came up when Nancy's family requested the psych eval (??). Don't want to inject something new but could have sworn I read that here on WS.

In any case, it would be another very good reason to set the bail high - keep him under supervision until trial. His family may also be cautious about posting bail for this reason.

BC seems to have a tendancy to try to put himself in the best possible light or try to garner sympathy to protect his ego - I could totally see him playing that card if he felt he was out of options. IMO :boohoo:

As for insurance - think you are correct about a policy being void by suicide.

Um, if you kill yourself, I would guess you would not be able to collect much of anything. :confused: :waitasec:

But I have yet to see a policy that pays out to a survivor for suicide.

Yes, there were allegations of suicide talk in the affidavits, and in the custody motion. It was also addressed in BC's depo. Threatening suicide is definitely a control ploy. However, I don't know BC, and wouldn't know if he would play that card, or if he actually had been depressed enough to be serious about it. Or if was just something he told Nancy to get some sympathy or to divert a situation. Dunno.

You can't get life insurance money if you kill yourself, right?

If the policy has been active for less than 2 years then the premiums are refunded, if the policy has been active for more than 2 years then the full benefit is paid.

It has been over a week and the jailed one remains jailed - guess no one wants to help him out of that cell just yet. :clap:

How time flies, eh?

It occurred to me that if one goes the bail bondsman route and only puts up 10%, then they don't get their 10% back, as that's the fee for the bond. If one puts up the entire $2M and then shows up for court at the appointed time/place, then the court returns all the money. I guess no one sees spending $200K (with no return of that money ever) a worthy endeavor at the moment.

How time flies, eh?

It occurred to me that if one goes the bail bondsman route and only puts up 10%, then they don't get their 10% back, as that's the fee for the bond. If one puts up the entire $2M and then shows up for court at the appointed time/place, then the court returns all the money. I guess no one sees spending $200K (with no return of that money ever) a worthy endeavor at the moment.

The economy is bad. People have lost gazillions. $200,000 is a chunk 'o change to toss around right now.

But, now, just think of the Adventures of Brad! He's learning a whole new lifestyle!

The economy is bad. People have lost gazillions. $200,000 is a chunk 'o change to toss around right now.

But, now, just think of the Adventures of Brad! He's learning a whole new lifestyle!

Yes indeed lots of adventures :behindbar:behindbar:behindbar

I wonder if he's in a cell alone or with others. And what do these people do with their time? Can they watch TV or read? I'd guess they can't use computers. That must be quite a hardship for BC.

And yet - he's still listed on the Cisco website as an employee.

Just what exactly do you have to do to get fire from there? I thought that HK said that he'd resign?????

Does anyone think that someone is scrounging up $200K to pay for him to get out of jail and go back to work?

If you worked with BC at Cisco, would you feel comfortable being in meetings with him? What responsibility does an employer have to allow him to go back to work? What responsibility does one have to other employees who are not out on bail?

Knowing that this is a "right to work" state and all our employment is 'at will', I am amazed that he's not been let go as of yet - just due to the fact that he's obviously burned through any vacation he may have accrued.

This has to be burning him up that he can't tap his retirement account to get his butt out of jail (at least it would pay for part of bail...)

Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member