Willamette Week article: One Tipster’s Startling Suspicions, and Frustration

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The things that struck me as being issues with the tip are these:

1. The mill doesn't have a dirt road that goes far. It dead ends right behind it in a culdesac type way with homes around.

2. There are no wooded areas behind the mill.

3. The only "old mill like" area is the abandoned brick mill which you can only see from 99W if you are looking for it.

4. I drove at least 5 miles north of Monroe and didn't come to a rest stop. I haven't been on the north part going to Portland in a few years. I don't remember a rest stop up there at all.

5. There is a rest stop south of Monroe and I took pics of what the road looks like from there. That would mean that the tipster and the truck and sedan went up to Monroe and came back out the south way. The road moves fast. I can't imagine just having a fender bender at those speeds? And from the rest stop, you only have a short area of road you can view, so the tipster would have had to have been on the end of the parking lot watching the road and not in the rest area itself.

Hey Kimster, many thanks! What was your impression of the area, given what he described? Did you see any other sightseers???

ETA I posted a second after you, so please disregard & thanks that is the kind of info. I was looking for.

I don't think the brick yard is it - the article seemed to indicate the first sighting came prior to him entering Monroe - and isn't this brick yard on the north side of Monroe? The article said they turned on gravel road near old mill (maybe one no longer in operation?) and then he got to Monroe right? And stopped at the gas station?

I may be confused...

There aren't any mills around Monroe that are not in operation (or in operation, other than Wilbur-Ellis). I looked up and down and didn't see any at all. My friend also said there aren't any, other than the Wilbur Ellis one that I took pics of.

If he heard a gunshot from the gas station, he must have meant the mill right in town.

Hey Kimster, many thanks! What was your impression of the area, given what he described? Did you see any other sightseers???

ETA I posted a second after you, so please disregard & thanks that is the kind of info. I was looking for.

I only saw a couple of guys spraying round up in their yards. :) Monroe is VERY quiet and today was no exception. :)

Someone needs to ride with the tipster to the exact location and check this out. He asked for directions, so he was not familiar with the area.. Get him back out there and have him show what he saw and where! This could be something, leave no stone unturned, IMO.

Really? So 5 days AFTER Kyron is missing from the school he is seen by this gentleman presumably with Terri in the family truck? Yep, that's believable. I'm sure that 5 days in to the investigation LE is watching the entire family very closely. IMO, this man's story is bogus.

Hey, FWIW, I don't doubt anything anymore. No wonder people don't call in tips if they are brushed off and discussed like they just escaped from a mental ward. LE doesn't always watch POI. For example: Drew Peterson left for three days after Stacey Peterson became missing. No surveilance, LE has no idea if he went somewhere to move a body, met someone to pay them for moving the body, nothing...........zilch.........nada. I'm sure there are many more POI who have completed their dirty deeds while the investigations were in progress.......

I'm back and I'm alive! :woohoo: haha

I think this man was mistaken based on what I saw and some help from a friend of mine who has lived in Monroe for maybe all her life. I'm going to eat my hot dog and then show you all my findings. :)

WB Kimster!!!!!:)

After reading the tip and going up there and thinking about it, I can see that this tip might really be something he saw. This is my speculation:

The guy was going to Monroe for whatever, coming from the Eugene area. He saw these people in Junction City and they were driving erratic and that caught his attention. They might have been chasing each other around. They drove up and whipped through the dirt parking area of the mill. You CAN drive all around the back of the mill between it and the railroad tracks. (See picture). He was filling up with gas and heard a gun shot, which is not unusual to people in Monroe, but it might be to him. Then he left the area and was headed back to Eugene and stopped at the rest stop and saw the cars driving crazy in that area of the road that isn't very visible, so he thought he saw what he saw.

I'm sure the sheriffs in Benton County are very familiar with that mill and they knew that dirt road doesn't go up more than half a block. From 99W, the tipster couldn't see that.

The pick-up passed DeWitt and turned on a gravel road near an old mill site in or near the town of Monroe, Oregon.

Hull-Oakes Lumber Co
23837 Dawson Road
Monroe, OR 97456

6.4 mi – about 16 mins

Is there any other old mill site near Monroe,OR?

The pick-up passed DeWitt and turned on a gravel road near an old mill site in or near the town of Monroe, Oregon.

Hull-Oakes Lumber Co
23837 Dawson Road
Monroe, OR 97456

6.4 mi – about 16 mins

I looked at Hull-Oakes and you can only drive in their parking area.

Hull-Oakes Lumber Co
23837 Dawson Road
Monroe, OR 97456

6.4 mi – about 16 mins

Oh, another thing. If he was suspicious of hearing gun shots at the gas station, he wouldn't have thought of Hull-Oakes. That is WAY too far north to hear shots.

(BTW, those two names are the most well-known in Monroe. Hull and Oakes. Just some trivia for ya. haha)

IMO, I am beginning to think the "former Sheriff’s Capt. Bruce McCain" is looking for his 15 minutes of fame.

Thanks for all that you do Kimster! :star2: Monroe has only 680 people? How can it be anything BUT quiet?...wonder why the entire town didn't hear the shot.

My friend who has lived there forever says they hear gun shots all the time up there.

Here is an article which describes a particular tip that is being followed up on. The article is highlighting how many tips that have flowed in about Kyron's disappearance.

Here is the tip:

This morning around 9:00 am I received a telephone call from Mark DeWitt, a 51-year old single farmer who lives in Riddle, Oregon. … When I took his call he expressed relief in “finally talking to a human” after leaving unanswered calls to the MCSO tip line. I told him I no longer worked at MCSO and I am not part of the investigation at all. He understood that but asked me to pass this info along to the authorities.

.<snipped for copyright>

http://blogs.wweek.com/news/2010/08...ipsters-startling-suspicions-and-frustration/

This could not even be possible unless this person got his dates wrong but then it wouldnt work anyway as it is too far for this to be true for Teri to be involved unless someone else went in her place besides Teri or De De. Whoever took Kyron, had 7 hours? to do something but Teri and others were being watched on June 9th for sure.

This could not even be possible unless this person got his dates wrong but then it wouldnt work anyway as it is too far for this to be true for Teri to be involved unless someone else went in her place besides Teri or De De. Whoever took Kyron, had 7 hours? to do something but Teri and others were being watched on June 9th for sure.

Okay, but when did TMH's son come back? Did she pick him up? What is the route to where he lives/lived at that time? She wasn't being suspected at that time, IIRC.

What about the white truck seen by JK? That was never really determined to be the Horman's truck was it? Could be that truck?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bridgetraiann
Back