Witness Laura Buchanan Backs Out

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think she may have come to the hearing to collect a note or letter from ICA via the female atty. She may have been there to collect a paycheck from Lichenstein. He doesn't come to the hearings for his health - there is something in it for him and it's not flirting with CA. Maybe a subpoena was served when she went out into the hallway.

I firmly believe she is in very close contact with JB. He lets her know what is going to be heard, etc. Who knows, that pre-court meeting could have been JB again asking if KC could meet with CA in private....and when he entered the courtroom he gave a little shake of his head to CA. I don't for one minute believe CA comes to court blind. She and JB are like this: :blowkiss:

Please note, too, that in the hearing yesterday CM had no problem hearing JB when he was speaking in a very low (inside) voice to CM. If CM had such a hard time hearing LB in the deposition he should have excused himself and asked to move closer so he could hear. I believe he uses his hearing to manipulate a situation he feels he needs to control. It amounts to "verbally" jabbing someone in the ribs. He has a hearing device and the physical ability to move closer if he was in the room. I think they call it selective hearing.

And if he has trouble in court there is no excuse for not having a computer for the deaf which puts the conversation right up there on the screen for him to read. Nothing to hide he has disclosed in open court he has a hearing problem. I don't think he misses as much as he states. jmo

I too,believe CM probably uses his hearing loss selectively,but hearing loss can be a loss of high or low tones.
My youngest (I know I use him as an example a lot,but he has multiple issues! ) has a high frequency hearing loss,most likely from the powerful IV antibiotics he was on his first 2 years (the short bowel thing). He can hear someone speaking in low tones,but not higher frequency sounds.That means he only hears parts of words.He doesn't hear the S or CH sounds and much more. Ozzie to him sounds like AW-EE. That's how he pronounces it because that's what he hears.
He has hearing aides,but the farther away he is the less high frequency sounds he can pick up.
The other issue is the hearing aides ,themselves.They amplify background noise,which can interfere if you are a in a space with accoustical issues or places like auditoriums and stadiums.
I am at a loss to figure CM out. I don't know why he would join this case after his public statement referring to ICA's guilt. He is way off his game and it just makes him look bad.
But is it all a ruse? IDK. :waitasec:

I firmly believe she is in very close contact with JB. He lets her know what is going to be heard, etc. Who knows, that pre-court meeting could have been JB again asking if KC could meet with CA in private....and when he entered the courtroom he gave a little shake of his head to CA. I don't for one minute believe CA comes to court blind. She and JB are like this: :blowkiss:

I will give him a little bit of slack in that regard. Hearing loss is not what we who do not suffer from it perceive it as. It is not a universal "can't hear" it mostly stems from the deterioration of the ability to detect or pick up on varying tonal ranges. And different tones behave differently. So for the hearing loss sufferer what they hear clearly or lose can be highly almost unpredictably situational. The size and shape of the room matters. The level and tone of background noises matter. The pitch and timber of the speakers voice matters. Some tones are more directional then others so the facing and direction matter. It is quite possible in that room CM could hear the close directional whispers of JB very easily, but would have difficulty or lose alot of HHJP's less directed and differently toned statements. Or that he would have a harder time hearing the higher pitched voice of LB.

And virtually no aging hearing aid user will ever request or accept solutions designed for the deaf in that way. Most take great offense at any such suggestions. To their perception they can hear just fine thank you. It's just these certain circumstances that are giving them trouble. (and yeah been through exactly this with My mother and grandmother. And yeah it drives you crazy).

I should have read further before replying to LambChop. You explained hearing loss so much better than I did . Before adopting my little guy I didn't know any of this.
Thanks FaeFrost!

I too,believe CM probably uses his hearing loss selectively,but hearing loss can be a loss of high or low tones.
My youngest (I know I use him as an example a lot,but he has multiple issues! ) has a high frequency hearing loss,most likely from the powerful IV antibiotics he was on his first 2 years (the short bowel thing). He can hear someone speaking in low tones,but not higher frequency sounds.That means he only hears parts of words.He doesn't hear the S or CH sounds and much more. Ozzie to him sounds like AW-EE. That's how he pronounces it because that's what he hears.
He has hearing aides,but the farther away he is the less high frequency sounds he can pick up.
The other issue is the hearing aides ,themselves.They amplify background noise,which can interfere if you are a in a space with accoustical issues or places like auditoriums and stadiums.
I am at a loss to figure CM out. I don't know why he would join this case after his public statement referring to ICA's guilt. He is way off his game and it just makes him look bad.
But is it all a ruse? IDK. :waitasec:

Yes, I know about the tones. I'm tone deaf myself and have been since I was about 18 years old. I hear better from someone talking behind me than directly in front of me. One ear is worse than the other. I just noticed that the courtroom has an extremely high ceiling which carries sounds away and CM, although he winced a couple of times to hear, seemed to be doing fine catching everything. I never make an issue of the fact that I can't hear by telling people I'm old and can't hear. I just say "pardon, I'm sorry I did not catch what you said."

Because this is his profession, hearing what is being said in court is vital. If you should miss something it could cost your client dearly. So in that respect if I were having as much of a problem as he professes, I would be making arrangements to make sure I was able to hear everything that was being said.

Plus CM does not seem to mind making people aware he has a disability. In today's world it is not uncommon to see people who are disabled because it is much easier for them to get out and about than it was years ago.

He acts as if everyone should know he needs to be accommodated rather than trying to help himself with this matter. Unless his sight is really, really bad he could have them hook up a computer so he would be able to see what was being said. Unless, of course, he can hear enough but just likes to make an issue about it.

By-the-way, I think all children should be taught sign language in school. Even just the basics. Imagine a world where everyone knew sign language. jmo

How much do you think the prosecution costs the taxpayers? LOL I'm just teasing you, a lot of times people complain about the defense, as if they just run on air over at the prosecutor's office, no cost to the taxpayer.

Respectfully snipped by me for space.

The prosecutor's office represents we the people. In this case, the people is the State of Florida. That's why the case caption is the State of Florida v. Casey Anthony.

As a society, we formed a social contract that includes the prohibition and prosecution of deeds we collectively have determined are a detriment or threat to the health and welfare of the populous - like murder. So the prosecution represents my interests and yours. I don't know about you, but as a tax payer, that's the kind of thing I want to be paying for.

The defense does not represent us. They represent the individual defendant. Yes, if someone cannot afford representation, the state provides that at tax payer expense, because it has also been collectively decided that protecting societies' constitutional rights to due process are important, but come on! When it comes down to it, the defense represents the individual rights of people who are 99% of the time guilty. And that does nothing to protect me.

Thus, while I'm okay with my taxes going to ensure due process, I'm not okay with paying for smarmy lawyers to create a circus and make a mockery of justice on my dime. Sorry.

In cases like this one, qualified and ethical state-funded defense attorneys are paid by the taxpayers to counsel their client, review all evidence, question all witnesses and make sure the state actually has a rock solid case and that it went through the hoops necessary to preserve the accused's rights to counsel, to silence, etc. Then, such defense attorneys, if presented with a rock solid case that did not trample on the rights of the accused, will counsel their client to take a plea deal, IMO.

What casey anthony's attorneys have done in this case is to try to manufacture evidence, mislead the public and play fast and loose with the rules of court. I don't like that. I don't pay for that with my tax dollars and none of that has anything to do with preserving societies' due process rights.

So, most people are quick to accept paying taxes to the state to represent them and protect their health and welfare but few are willing to pay for corruption and the desire of certain individuals to make a name for themselves on the backs of a dead child and a person facing the death penalty. :twocents:

Does Lichtenstein usually come to status hearings? I can't recall. He was there yesterday along with Cindy, who never attends these things. If it was out of the ordinary for him (which I'm thinking it was) there must have been some outstanding reason for him to take up his time like that.

He has been there for every hearing that I have watched. He used to sit next to CA and chat with her, but now I see he has been relegated to sitting behind her, or on the end of the row... I guess he's writing a book- isn't everyone?

He has been there for every hearing that I have watched. He used to sit next to CA and chat with her, but now I see he has been relegated to sitting behind her, or on the end of the row... I guess he's writing a book- isn't everyone?

Or he's working on the "Lifetime Movie of the Week" ala ripped from the headlines.

His company offers media coaching and consultation and books "talent" (pardon my laugh) and guests on talk shows, morning news shows like Today.

He is always sure to fly in from Chicago to Orlando to stay abreast of any KC case developments. He appears at more hearings than George A. He is rumored to be buddy buddy with JB and the Anthony's and has a friendly twitter relationship with a local WESH anchor.

WESH....isn't that the current defense flavor errr news provider?

How much do you think the prosecution costs the taxpayers? LOL I'm just teasing you, a lot of times people complain about the defense, as if they just run on air over at the prosecutor's office, no cost to the taxpayer.

Are you honestly saying this person LB defrauded the state of Florida? :waitasec:
To me she seems like a mild mannered, well-meaning, easily intimidated person, who just told what she believes she saw while searching and is now being put through the wringer big time from the sound of it. I would think she's probably traumatized by everything that's happening to her now if what has been posted here is true.

I just would have trouble believing this mild mannered mother of 3 from another state would have any reason to create some false story--what for? What motive could she have to try to paint a false picture or try to deceive? Do people think she would want to help a child murderer?

Other searchers have also told what they thought they saw and where they thought they'd looked. She's certainly as credible to me as others. People can be wrong or mistaken of course, without meaning to be deceptive. The way she described the remains site environs though seems right compared to the water expert's study and the way the land appears to lie. Of course, I could be wrong in my understanding of where Area A is or where she walked etc.

There's always the possibility that she walked the area, but just didn't see the remains, I guess. Who knows?

LB is a crime groupie, plain and simple. She has gone to incredible lengths to interfere with the investigation of a child's murder, taking time and resources away from LE and the Prosecution. She should be tried, and jailed, then maybe she will stay at home with her husband and children where she belonged. She's another Joy Wray, but a lot more malicious.
ICA voluntarily chose to have a private Attorney, who promptly used all of her funds ( obtained by selling Caylee memorabilia) to the tune of over $250K with no accounting to date. She could have gone with the Public Defender and got the same resources that all other felons get. Don't blame the SA because JB feels he should be paid like some celebrity Lawyer, is incompetent and has tried to stretch this trial out as far as possible.

Yes, I know about the tones. I'm tone deaf myself and have been since I was about 18 years old. I hear better from someone talking behind me than directly in front of me. One ear is worse than the other. I just noticed that the courtroom has an extremely high ceiling which carries sounds away and CM, although he winced a couple of times to hear, seemed to be doing fine catching everything. I never make an issue of the fact that I can't hear by telling people I'm old and can't hear. I just say "pardon, I'm sorry I did not catch what you said."

Because this is his profession, hearing what is being said in court is vital. If you should miss something it could cost your client dearly. So in that respect if I were having as much of a problem as he professes, I would be making arrangements to make sure I was able to hear everything that was being said.

Plus CM does not seem to mind making people aware he has a disability. In today's world it is not uncommon to see people who are disabled because it is much easier for them to get out and about than it was years ago.

He acts as if everyone should know he needs to be accommodated rather than trying to help himself with this matter. Unless his sight is really, really bad he could have them hook up a computer so he would be able to see what was being said. Unless, of course, he can hear enough but just likes to make an issue about it.

By-the-way, I think all children should be taught sign language in school. Even just the basics. Imagine a world where everyone knew sign language. jmo

I totally agree with your entire post. :bullseye:

I would pay good money to find out what HHJP thinks of CM's "issues",since he's known him for awhile.

LB is a crime groupie, plain and simple. She has gone to incredible lengths to interfere with the investigation of a child's murder, taking time and resources away from LE and the Prosecution. She should be tried, and jailed, then maybe she will stay at home with her husband and children where she belonged. She's another Joy Wray, but a lot more malicious.
ICA voluntarily chose to have a private Attorney, who promptly used all of her funds ( obtained by selling Caylee memorabilia) to the tune of over $250K with no accounting to date. She could have gone with the Public Defender and got the same resources that all other felons get. Don't blame the SA because JB feels he should be paid like some celebrity Lawyer, is incompetent and has tried to stretch this trial out as far as possible.

ZZ ,
can you imagine how much money it would have saved the FL taxpayers if ICA had pled guilty? It's HER actions and those of her family and the defense team that have turned this into a million dollar case for the State of Florida.

I'm sorry if this has been noticed & mentioned above. After working today & up until 10:45pm tonight, I've only had time to skim posts since my break earlier.
I never caught this myself seeing the copy of the post it note on the forged/faked TES document, but in reading the 1st part of the depo, the light bulb went on.
The paged she faxed (to what # and whose # is it? I probably missed that, too - haven't read part 2 yet, or just have a case of CRS at the moment, lol) had the post it note on it that read:
FOR Mort from Laura, correct? So, IMO that leaves open a huge possibility that someone was to pass this fax on to Mort. IOW, if it had said TO Mort, he was the only one that was expected to be at the other end of the line. But, the FOR Mort makes me wonder if someone else was standing by that fax machine...I just have a hinky feeling that JB did know about this faked document all along & shredded it when he figured out he couldn't sneak it into the box of TES evidence at MN's office or got rid of it PDQ after the way the Nov depo went. (Man, oh man - what a completely a$$ he is, the way he acted in part 1 of the depo, as others have commented on!!! Just who does he think he is?)
I could be way off base here - haven't had much sleep last month and still trying to catch up on work w/job #2. In my sleep deprived state of mind right now, though, it makes sense to me, LOL.

That Post-It Note is what intrigues me too!
I wish the FAX cover sheet had been included in Discovery.
LDB mentioned the cover sheet but I don't know if it was one of the Exhibits or not?
I want to know the DATE that TES form with the Post-It Note on it, was faxed, and to WHOM.
There was no real need for Laura to FAX that TES form to Mort (Post-It Note said "From Laura ... FOR Mort"), because Laura made a copy of the TES form, for Mort, while Mort was in her home in Kentucky. Mort left Laura's home possessing a copy of the alleged fake TES form. No need to FAX it to Mort later.

TIMELINE (from Laura's Nov 17, 2010 deposition)

Aug 31, 2008 - Laura came to FL with husband for training conference
saw Caylee search on TV and went and volunteered

Sept 3rd or 4th, 2008 - Laura has Caylee sighting at Disney

Sept 3rd or 4th, 2008 - Laura calls tip line she saw on TV which was Kid Finders
[Cindy must have been told about Laura at this time, by the Milsteads]
Laura says that after this tip call, she had a lot of contact with Cindy

Sept 3, 2008
- Laura calls Yuri Melich

Sept 5, 2008 - Laura left Florida - went back home to Kentucky

Sept 11, 14, 15, 29, 2008 and Oct 8, 2008, Nov 21, 2008, Dec 8, 2008
Laura emails to NeJame who was the Anthony's attorney at that time

Sept 26, 2008 approximately (3 weeks later)
Laura found TES forms & maps in her truck back home in Kentucky

Sept 29, 2008 - Laura calls Sgt John Allen about Caylee sighting

Oct 1, 2008 - Cindy email to OCSO Kari Roderick about sighting

Oct 9, 2008 - Laura emails info about Caylee sighting to Baez

Oct 10, 2008 - emails - Cindy wants Laura to do GMA show about sighting
and LE not responding to the tip

Sept - Oct 2008??? - Laura says Mort Smith called her - Laura says he called about the Caylee sighting
[after Laura has already contacted Kid Finders, Yuri Melich, NeJame - who
was the ANTHONY attorney at that time, Sgt John Allen, Baez, and Cindy had contacted OCSO Kari Roderick]

Dec 11, 2008 - Caylee's remains found - Laura saw news on TV

Jan 12, 2009 - Laura talked to Tessa - tried to convince her to agree to scenario

Jan 12th and Jan 13, 2009 and Jan 21, 2009 and Feb 25, 2009
Jan 22, 2009 - Baez' office - Edward Flayger emails about Tessa text messages
Laura sends emails to Baez about fellow searcher Tessa
and copies of Tessa's text messages
Laura could not remember if she had already told Cindy, Baez, and Edward
that she had TES forms in her possession

June ?? (middle) 2009 - Mort drove to Kentucky to interview Laura
Mort pointed on a blurry map to the area where Caylee found
Laura made a copy of the alleged fake TES form on her home printer
[no need to fax this form to Mort with Post-It note later]

July 7, 2009 - Laura moved from Kentucky to New Jersey

Oct 27, 2009
- Joe Jordan met with Mort Smith

Oct 28, 2009 - Laura signed statement for Defense and faxed to Mort

Nov 16, 2009 - Joe Jordan statement for Defense

May 10, 2010 - Laura came to Orlando (from New Jersey), with her attorney Ray Brown, and they met Mort Smith and Andrea Lyon at the
remains sight

August 16, 2010 - Laura does her first deposition with the State and lets it slip that she has a TES form that nobody else has - it was NOT in TES official documents, and the Prosecutors did not have it - Mason said he did not have it. Laura's attorney faxed the form to the Prosecutors and they rescheduled the deposition for Nov 17, 2010 to resume.

Nov 17, 2010
- Second deposition with Laura and she brings the TES form that she had, and Mort had, and admits that she added information to it/altered it. Several other TES searchers listed on the form Laura had, swear under oath that they did not search with her in those locations, on that date.

A Tampering Investigation is begun....

Or he's working on the "Lifetime Movie of the Week" ala ripped from the headlines.

His company offers media coaching and consultation and books "talent" (pardon my laugh) and guests on talk shows, morning news shows like Today.

He is always sure to fly in from Chicago to Orlando to stay abreast of any KC case developments. He appears at more hearings than George A. He is rumored to be buddy buddy with JB and the Anthony's and has a friendly twitter relationship with a local WESH anchor.

A friendly relationship with Holly Bristow from Fox 35 Orlando (born in Ft.Lauderdale) who usually comes to the hearings with Jim. They are both glowing like, well, you know... I feel like a hypocrite to say he is despicable because I really did enjoy Truman Capote's book In Cold Blood and the movie as well. But I guess I am just a hypocrite and still think Jim is despicable...this baby was just too close to home for me to think otherwise.

A friendly relationship with Holly Bristow from Fox 35 Orlando (born in Ft.Lauderdale) who usually comes to the hearings with Jim. They are both glowing like, well, you know... I feel like a hypocrite to say he is despicable because I really did enjoy Truman Capote's book In Cold Blood and the movie as well. But I guess I am just a hypocrite and still think Jim is despicable...this baby was just too close to home for me to think otherwise.

I agree. Something sleazy about it. He can do the same as we do and watch the tape on his computer and do his writings. jmo

BBM

IMO, she would have had a MUCH better chance at this trial with a Public Defender. I honestly feel she would have been better off. JMO.

LDB mentioned the cover sheet but I don't know if it was one of the Exhibits or not?
I want to know the DATE that TES form with the Post-It Note on it, was faxed, and to WHOM.
There was no real need for Laura to FAX that TES form to Mort (Post-It Note said "From Laura ... FOR Mort"), because Laura made a copy of the TES form, for Mort, while Mort was in her home in Kentucky. Mort left Laura's home possessing a copy of the alleged fake TES form. No need to FAX it to Mort later.

Sept 3rd or 4th, 2008 - Laura calls tip line she saw on TV which was Kid Finders

Sept 3, 2008 - Laura calls Yuri Melich

Sept - Oct 2008??? - Laura says Mort Smith called her - Laura says he called about the Caylee sighting
was the ANTHONY attorney at that time, Sgt John Allen, Baez, and Cindy had contacted OCSO Kari Roderick]

Jan 12, 2009 - Laura talked to Tessa - tried to convince her to agree to scenario

Oct 27, 2009 - Joe Jordan met with Mort Smith

May 10, 2010 - Laura came to Orlando (from New Jersey), with her attorney Ray Brown, and they met Mort Smith and Andrea Lyon at the
remains sight

August 16, 2010 - Laura does her first deposition with the State and lets it slip that she has a TES form that nobody else has - it was NOT in TES official documents, and the Prosecutors did not have it - Mason said he did not have it. Laura's attorney faxed the form to the Prosecutors and they rescheduled the deposition for Nov 17, 2010 to resume.

Nov 17, 2010 - Second deposition with Laura and she brings the TES form that she had, and Mort had, and admits that she added information to it/altered it. Several other TES searchers listed on the form Laura had, swear under oath that they did not search with her in those locations, on that date.

--Red emphasis mine

Wow, put all together like that, the first thing to jump out at me is Cindy Anthony. And I really wasn't expecting that to be so obvious. I think Cindy had a lot of influence over LB. A LOT. Looking at it in time sequence, I don't buy that CA just quit having contact with LB after Oct. 2008. :snooty: Now I want to go dig for that email that I read and have had a heck of a time finding again where she warns that she has "contacts in NJ". If that was written in 2010, like I think I recall....

Obviously, there is a TON of more stuff in there that is very, very interesting. Mort...he is everywhere.

Thanks ThinkTank! I've read the depos, emails, and listened to the calls, but it is something else looking at the summary timeline like that.

I'm mostly PO'd because in her first depo she lied about having turned in the docs and she knew it to be a lie back then. She was fully prepared to breeze through that depo by lying and thought no one would be the wiser. And I think that LB is still lying big time about how much info was placed on the TES form in FL as opposed to what she claims to have jotted on it in KY before Mort's visit.
I guess it was LDB's intention to discredit her just enough so the defense won't be tempted to call her as a witness, because she could have really held her feet to the fire if she wanted to. LDB could have easily reduced her to tears, but no, and look how quickly she dissolved under CM's blustering. She's so smoooth.

bbm

ITA, I think there's so much more that we still don't know. imo It would seem more to her benefit at this point to have just misunderstood, to have 'written' notes to herself on the form. kwim I guess I'm more suspicious as I really got the drift someone told her to cya/cma the best you can and mum's the word on the little outing in May. I say that because it was quite apparent LDB was asking LB to reiterate in sequence that event and LB kept interrupting story and saying 'I didn't know where the body was'. :banghead: It was confusing to say the least in understanding what happened.. she was all over the place. She did this in the control calls as well and had to be asked a number of times to get her out of jabbering on with incomplete sentences. And it appeared to be with direct questions on facts. She spoke pretty coherently when she wanted to. jmo

ThinkTank: I am not quoting your whole post, but something clicked when I read it. When LB faxed her signed statement back to Mort - could she have faxed the TES document at the same time?

Sept 3, 2008
- Laura calls Yuri Melich

Oct 27, 2009
- Joe Jordan met with Mort Smith

remains sight

Nov 17, 2010
- Second deposition with Laura and she brings the TES form that she had, and Mort had, and admits that she added information to it/altered it. Several other TES searchers listed on the form Laura had, swear under oath that they did not search with her in those locations, on that date.

I am quoting you Think Tank because this timeline is so helpful. Thank you so much for this. It really helps people like me who are not up to speed.
I swear, if you don't follow this case every day, you miss tons of stuff.
Some of you guys are incredible detectives putting it all together the way you have.
I'm just reading the depos. So Laura Buchanan, she's crazy, right? She reminds me of those Munchausen types (but not as severe) that need attention in the worst way and will do pathological things to get it. It's disturbing. In her case, she worked hard to insinuate herself in this high profile case. She must not have had enough to do with three small kids and a husband. Geez Louise!
I noticed that as each depo got underway she had to reveal an illness so as to make herself a victim somehow, perhaps so opposing counsel would not be too "mean" to her or too hard on her. The first time, she had a terrible ear infection and the second, just getting over pneumonia. It kind of jumped out at me.
Well, off to read more!

ThinkTank: I am not quoting your whole post, but something clicked when I read it. When LB faxed her signed statement back to Mort - could she have faxed the TES document at the same time?

I thought that is when the faxing of the Post-It Note might have occurred too, but my hang up is ... WHY would Laura even Fax the TES form to Mort at all????

Laura already gave Mort a xerox copy of the TES form when Mort was visiting her in her home in Kentucky. Laura went into her home office room and made a copy. Mort left Laura's house with a copy of the TES form. There was no need for Laura to ever Fax that form to Mort, at any time. It is not adding up????

Bold mine.

That wouldn't be Kealing, would it, SOTS? heh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mygrowingbranches