Would you be frightened being left in a remote trailer with two little kids at night?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Would you be frightened being left in a remote trailer with two little kids at night?

• Yes, absolutely

Votes: 149 36.1%
  • Nope

Votes: 130 31.5%
  • Not with a dog.

Votes: 53 12.8%
  • Not with a security system, a gun, and a dog.

Votes: 81 19.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd need a dog, and a nice handy row of prickly cactus plants to lob at will.

I did live in a mobile home in the country alone with my kids for a period of time while my husband was away with the Army. I was never scared but I did keep the doors and windows locked at all times and I did have a gun.

This was almost 20 years ago and the world was a nicer place then though.

Having lived rural for 26 years now I am not scared. I figure if anybody found me where I am living they were looking for me in particular not just some random kick the door in and rob you type crime. And us rural folks tend to have big and loud dogs and atleast a deer rifle. With them living in a MHP she probably knew everybody and felt secure, and I haven't heard but maybe she has always lived in a community like that growing up.

I'm having a convo with my son about this currently. I live in a small town in NY - hate it - noisy and sooty. He's in San Francisco and wants me to move there. I like to visit that city but would have to live in Lake Country or outside of Gilroy - I need quiet and birdsongs and room for a garden. And yes, a dog. Pitty, Rotty or Germ. Shepard - when I was younger, a big Collie/Goldy mix was a really good alarm system (miss you, Libby).
He'll have to find me a place to rent - to old to be a single homeowner now - good luck with that, kid.

I voted yes, but I am scared in the city too. Much more in the city, actually. I feel like there is a greater chance of being the victim of a random home invasion in the city than in the country. I have always lived in the city, but the country feels safer to me.

Having a person break into my house while I am home is my biggest fear. I try to avoid stories about robberies.

Lived in both, they both have their benefits and drawbacks:

Country living: less nutso freaks, but more isolation = greater opportunity for them.

City living: greater concentration of nutso freaks = greater chance of us being a victim, but also more non-nutso freaks in area that can aid you in an attack.

Country living: less nutso freaks, but more isolation = greater opportunity for them.

City living: greater concentration of nutso freaks = greater chance of us being a victim, but also more non-nutso freaks in area that can aid you in an attack.

Exacly!!!!

At the age of 17, my sister wielded a very large kitchen knife at a would be intruder... She showed the knife through the window... under the curtains and over the glass.

Needless to say, the intruder aborted his attempt to break in.

Did you know that, proportionally, there are more psychotic people in rural areas and more neurotic people in urban areas! Just a little trivia for you!

I grew up in a country community but there were houses close by. At 17 yrs there is no way I would have even babysat out in the country with no other houses around. I would have been scared to death. Now it probably wouldn't bother me as long as I had a big mean dog outside and another inside and a gun handy! We live in a scary world and you never know where the crazys are. It wouldn't bother me if there were houses around and then the woods, etc. I would never live out in the dingles with no one else around though.
hahahaha that is exactly where I live, anyone every been to the Poconos??? its nothing but woods and more woods and bears, I moved here because you got more bang for your buck and all, a nice house but scary as crap alone at night! I really need to get a dog, If I didnt have two jobs and two little kids to raise I would have more time for a pet but time is not an option, also I cannot get a gun (because of the little ones) so now Im looking for a stun gun or something lol But If I were in a scary trailer in the middle of the woods with two little kids and I was only 17 It could be kind of freaky I guess.

I have only ever lived in the city, so to me it seems very scary.

If you are used to living in rural areas, it isn't scary. If you have a Baretta in the house, it is even less frightening.

MC had both kids in the room with her. This tells me that she felt more secure with them in the same room rather than having them on the other side of the house. So, she was trying to keep them close while they slept to better keep an eye/ear on them.

It just didnt' work out that way.

hahahaha that is exactly where I live, anyone every been to the Poconos??? its nothing but woods and more woods and bears, I moved here because you got more bang for your buck and all, a nice house but scary as crap alone at night! I really need to get a dog, If I didnt have two jobs and two little kids to raise I would have more time for a pet but time is not an option, also I cannot get a gun (because of the little ones) so now Im looking for a stun gun or something lol But If I were in a scary trailer in the middle of the woods with two little kids and I was only 17 It could be kind of freaky I guess.

---
Trust me, get a pistol and get training on how to use it and how to keep it safe from children. You do not want to get close to someone who means you harm with a stun gun. The criminal will take it away from you and most likely use it on you to control you. You really need a big, protective dog also. I have traveled in my job and worked late at night and never felt safe until I got a boxer for my disabled husband. He is a very affectionate and protective family member. The neighbors called 911 one night while I was away on business because my dog was attacking someone trying to get into the house. Le called me to let me know that they were in my home and that my husband was safe. Of course, my husband had to put my dog in the bedroom to talk with LE because the dog was very upset. I knew that Oscar, my dog would protect my husband. My husband is gone now, but Oscar still protects me. I also have a pistol and will not hestitate to use it. I also have grandchildren around. My pistol is in a safe place that I can get to in an emergency. I know that my dog will give me the precious time I would need to get to the pistol. I have had to use my pistol to save my life before and I know that if I had not had it, I would not be alive today.

---
In my line of work, I have lived in very rural areas and I have lived in big cities. I have actually felt in danger more in the big cities than in the rural areas.

I used to live in a small town, where the most crime we had was minors drinking.
Now I live in a small city, with 34 registered sex offenders in a 1 mile radius of my house.

IMO it's a lot scarier to be home alone now than when I lived in the middle of nowhere.

I've lived in cities all my life, then I moved to rural Va when I was in my 40's. I wasn't here very long when my hubby died, leaving me in the house all alone in the woods. No street lights, no sidewalks, no close neighbors.. If I came home and it was already dark out, I would open my car door and RUN to the front door and scurry in (where my 2 dogs were waiting). It took me over a year before I wasn't terrified of being in the country at night - its so DARK!! And there are animals and screech-owls and whatnot. Now I can actually sit on the back porch like a big gurrrl and not be all skeered....:p

I think I would be frightened by being there all alone with the kids that late at night, especially at Misty's age. I can remember babysitting when I was young and by 11 at night I would be hearing all kinds of noises after the kids were in bed. Skeerdy cat was me.

i think it depends on where you are raised. if i was raised in an atmosphere like one that MC and RC are in, i don't think i would be scared, however, if i came from the city and then moved there, of course i would be freaked out of my mind. Especially knowing i am going to be raising 2 small children where there are so many SO/RSO. (i think that is the scariest part about it, but then again, i did so much research before i decided to move b/c i did not want to put myself (who was single) nor my son (who was 2years at the time) in that type of enviroment. (it was how i was taught)

everything i post is MOO!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members