Would you lie in court to save your child? CLOSED FOR REVIEW

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Would you lie to save your child's life?

• Yes

Votes: 100 18.1%
  • No

Votes: 261 47.3%
  • I don't know

Votes: 191 34.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The victim is dead. Killing the murderer doesn't change that.

Oh, I agree with you, Linda7NJ; personally I'd rather see ICA get LWOP- I think that is a far worse fate and aside from ICA confessing outright there will never be 110% certainty about the true facts of this case. I think ICA will go to the grave before she ever tells the truth to what truly happened to Caylee.

I'm just still surprised we have lawyers (on TV), etc saying they might consider lying under oath to save their child. Under oath! I think that could open a whole can of worms, such as when does it become OK to fib under oath and under what circumstances. Whether everyone agrees or disagrees with the circumstances, it is illegal to lie under oath, for ANY reason.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone, far from it... I feel this trial is very traumatic for all involved. (well..ICA has yet to look that upset, but that's another topic...)

-Mish :crazy:

I voted no. I could not swear to God to tell the truth, and then lie for ANYBODY. My personal beliefs would not allow me to, and I have raised my children with these same beliefs. If you were to ask them if I would lie under oath to save them from the death penalty, they would say no. They know I would expect them to pay for the consequences of their actions.

I would never lie under oath for any reason, even though I do not believe in the death penalty.

I'm frankly shocked at the number of people who say they would lie for their child if they committed a crime like premeditated murder,because that is what is expected of mother love... I don't get it.
Anyone who drugs a helpless little girl and kills her in a particularly cruel manner, dumps her body into a trash dump and then lies about it for three years does not deserve that.

What kind of person covers up for a pedophile and calls it mother love? Some mothers will cover up anything as long as it doesn't impact their own lives.
To me they are just as guilty.
I would lie for my son to keep him from getting the death penalty, no matter what he did, I would not want him to die, and I would lie my azz off. If I could lie his sentence into LWOP instead, I'd do it in a heart beat. Does it make me just as guilty? I really don't give a damn. I would not allow my son to be put to death if it was within my power to save him.

That may (and probably does) make me a terrible person, but again - don't care as long as my son lived.

When it comes to whether your child might get the death penalty; anyone who says they wouldn't lie to save their child from the possibility of such a fate is lying - or doesn't have a child.

i would lie for my son to keep him from getting the death penalty, no matter what he did, i would not want him to die, and i would lie my azz off. If i could lie his sentence into lwop instead, i'd do it in a heart beat. Does it make me just as guilty? I really don't give a damn. I would not allow my son to be put to death if it was within my power to save him.

That may (and probably does) make me a terrible person, but again - don't care as long as my son lived.

ita - I don't ever want to be in a position to find out the answer but hypothetically speaking, if I was in CA's position & my child was facing the DP, right or wrong it makes no difference - I would lie like crazy - I would lie about things that didn't have anything to do with anything.

(we are all just answering a hypothetically question here. imo answers to this question, whether the answer is "yes" or "no" does not denote "bad" or "good" nor "evil" or "angelic"...

Long time lurker with not many posts, but I voted yes, I would lie for my child. I don't believe in the death penalty. I am a Criminal Justice major in college. I returned to college after almost 20 years and have learned the cost that is involved in death penalty cases in regards to appeals and extra security that are required in most states. I guess I can never assume the position I would take if I were in Cindy Anthnoy's shoes right now, but my instinct would be to save my child as I cannot change the past, but wish that I could and hope to get my child the help she needs. You can never stop being a mother, wether you want to or not. Be nice, I don't post much!

I would lie for my son to keep him from getting the death penalty, no matter what he did, I would not want him to die, and I would lie my azz off. If I could lie his sentence into LWOP instead, I'd do it in a heart beat. Does it make me just as guilty? I really don't give a damn. I would not allow my son to be put to death if it was within my power to save him.

Love your honesty.

I would never lie if he was dealing drugs, stealing cars, etc... But the death penalty? I'd probably lie too.

If I learned my own child was a serial murdering child rapist...say by discovering a bunch of his videos. I'd kill him myself.

:waitasec: What would ever make you say such a thing?

That's some SCARY conversation

I thought the same thing. I'm thinking it was after this case she told her son that.... hopefully???

I voted no. I could not swear to God to tell the truth, and then lie for ANYBODY. My personal beliefs would not allow me to, and I have raised my children with these same beliefs. If you were to ask them if I would lie under oath to save them from the death penalty, they would say no. They know I would expect them to pay for the consequences of their actions.

I honestly loved your post! I answered I don't know on the poll. I love my kids and would do anything for them. I really would. I am however more afraid of the Lord's wrath than anything. I could sit here and say I would or would not lie. I hope and pray I never have to find out but once that person swearing me in said what they say and I said "I swear" I don't think I could lie. No matter how much I wanted to.

I honestly loved your post! I answered I don't know on the poll. I love my kids and would do anything for them. I really would. I am however more afraid of the Lord's wrath than anything. I could sit here and say I would or would not lie. I hope and pray I never have to find out but once that person swearing me in said what they say and I said "I swear" I don't think I could lie. No matter how much I wanted to.

Atheism has it's perks;)

Let's say...your grandchild was sexually assaulted and your child had proof and laid in wait...tourtured and killed the perp. Now your child is up for the death penalty. Would you lie then?

I know I would! Shoot, I may even confess to the crime myself to spare my son!

When it comes to whether your child might get the death penalty; anyone who says they wouldn't lie to save their child from the possibility of such a fate is lying - or doesn't have a child.

I agree. The death penalty is used as a punishment arbitrarily in my opinion and is based on the court of public opinion. Someone in an elected position should not get to make the decision on who and who does not get tried for the ultimate punishment!

I think some folks are thinking it was accident and not murder..

Then George and Cindy should have TOLD LE that it was an accident so they wouldn't be "forced" to lie! She raised her right hand..."Do you SWEAR to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help you GOD?"

No way am I not telling the truth!

WRONG on both counts- I have an only child, and I'm not lying!!!

I resent this comment. I am a loving mother and I love my daughter as much as any other mother loves their child. But for anyone to say I would lie in Cindy's situation simply has no idea what they are talking about and absolutely no right to call me a liar.

The victim is dead. Killing the murderer doesn't change that.

That is definitely a topic for the death vs. lwop thread, though I am so tempted to debate here as I totally disagree :crazy:, but I embrace your right to that opinion :)
So I guess my next question would be, would you lie on the stand for someone you did not know personally (say you were an eye witness) in order to save them from the death penalty? Or does being the defendant's mother make all the difference?

Atheism has it's perks;)

Let's say...your grandchild was sexually assaulted and your child had proof and laid in wait...tourtured and killed the perp. Now your child is up for the death penalty. Would you lie then?

I know I would! Shoot, I may even confess to the crime myself to spare my son!

I probably would kill the perp before anyone had the chance!
Now, going with what you said, I know I would never want my child to die but I don't want to lie. Also though, I've never been and hope I never will be in the situation where I have to make this decision.
If God forbid I ever am, I'm sure it will be on WS and we will all find out my answer under pressure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay