Wrongful death trial begins. Trial coverage and discussion #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching Jonah's testimony. He stated that organ procurement coordinator approached him and Dina before Rebecca died. He attempted to phrase this as "in case Max didn't improve". In my experience, no one ever contacts organ procurement to begin discussions with family unless brain death determination is ALREADY in progress. And no one begins the process of pediatric brain death determination "thinking or hoping" that there is still potential for improvement. For kids already in ICU, the process will take about 48 hours to run serial tests, and have several providers do independent evaluations.

Very interesting that Jonah contradicts Dina's testimony about pantomiming self stabbing, and contradicts her testimony about "asian honor." One of them is not telling the truth about that.

Snip for space

Both of the above points are crucial to my opinion on this case.

The organ procurement coordinator would not approach JS and DS late at night. Whatever info JS got, I think it's safe to assume he got it during normal business hours. The idea put forth by JS from the beginning that his midnight call to Rebecca was to deliver bad news does not ring true to me and Dina's testimony about the self stabbing is significant imo. When people lie they do so for a reason.

This is not speculation. These are deliberate acts by Jonah that warrant a thorough analysis imo.

Jonah had a physician friend at Rady who gave him a ride back to Coronado that evening so he could shower and change clothes.

Does anybody know how far the hospital is from the mansion?

I always found it odd that JS stayed at the RMcD House that night as opposed to going home to shower, sleep, change. Did Dina also stay at the RMcD House?

I know this because i watched his sworn testimony on the witness stand. There are links up thread should you care to watch. I don’t think watching it qualifies me to be an insider.

There are no links to show that becoming the top level of Maritime Pilot are suitable for high school graduates with no training in the field. Can you please supply that, as I am very interested. Thank you.

I replied to you at post #422 with the link to that information including excerpts.

I was questioning the assertions in your post that he was very busy and had exceptional advanced qualifications not his testimony of which I am aware.

It was the statements of his being busy & implying qualifications that are special in some way that only a person who is acquainted with AS be able to with declare with such certainly.

I’m clear now it's only opinion.

Is there a link to back this information up?

I don't have a link, but I know it's been mentioned here before and even in this thread. Sorry, it's just one of those things that I read and it was accepted here as fact due to verification at the time, so it stuck in my head.

I think AS is absolutely an accomplished man. Does one need to be the CEO of a corporation to be accomplished? Why demean a man who has found a career path, done well with it, and earned an honest living?

If one believes he murdered RZ, that still does not mean that a whole group of people in certain types of jobs need to be demeaned to prove a point.

So you think a career that can be achieved by having a high school diploma is demeaning?

That is a demeaning sentiment, imo.

AS does not care what I say about him. Have you heard his 911 call or his lie detector video?

I said I don’t think he is exceptional never did I say that about being a tug or barge worker, of which I know plenty living at a river terminal, and he is sure no Mark Twain.

IMO

I replied to you at post #422 with the link to that information including excerpts.

I was questioning the assertions in your post that he was very busy and had exceptional advanced qualifications not his testimony of which I am aware.

It was the statements of his being busy & implying qualifications that are special in some way that only a person who is acquainted with AS be able to with declare with such certainly.

I’m clear now it's only opinion.

As is your “opinion” as to what job descriptions qualify as “accomplished.” Was Rebecca “accomplished?” See, that’s the slippery slope. Trying to demean AS by demeaning his achievements in his chosen line of work, do not prove he’s a murderer or not.

I find AS to be very “accomplished.” These days, just working hard and keeping a job is an accomplishment. No one was supporting him or providing him a lifestyle.

If Greer were to demean AS that way in court, he’d lose that jury for sure. Too many of them would feel that he could be slurring them as well.

Dina said that Jonah told her that Rebecca had killed herself and made a self stabbing motion. He explained the ‘suicide’ as stemming from ‘Asian honor’.

Jonah said that this didn’t happen. There is a huge discrepancy here. I have a question about this. Did Dina say that Jonah said all this after a text? Or did she say that it happened after a phone call in the hospital room?

I don’t think that Dina would lie about Jonah’s words. I think that JS is putting a spin on this. Another thing. JS is subtly ( or not so subtly) portraying Dina as being an emotionally unbalanced person. Because he is a man, he’s successful
and he has a commanding prescence, people are used to deferring to him. I don’t buy it. I believe Dina’s version and I think that version is the truth. I’d like to hear if JS said this after a phone call or if he said it after a text. TIA

Dina said that Jonah told her that Rebecca had killed herself and made a self stabbing motion. He explained the ‘suicide’ as stemming from ‘Asian honor’.

Jonah said that this didn’t happen. There is a huge discrepancy here. I have a question about this. Did Dina say that Jonah said all this after a text? Or did she say that it happened after a phone call in the hospital room?

I don’t think that Dina would lie about Jonah’s words. I think that JS is putting a spin on this. Another thing. JS is subtly ( or not so subtly) portraying Dina as being an emotionally unbalanced person. Because he is a man, he’s successful
and he has a commanding prescence, people are used to deferring to him. I don’t buy it. I believe Dina’s version and I think that version is the truth. I’d like to hear if JS said this after a phone call or if he said it after a text. TIA

Right. Why would she make that up?

As is your “opinion” as to what job descriptions qualify as “accomplished.” Was Rebecca “accomplished?” See, that’s the slippery slope. Trying to demean AS by demeaning his achievements in his chosen line of work, do not prove he’s a murderer or not.

I find AS to be very “accomplished.” These days, just working hard and keeping a job is an accomplishment. No one was supporting him or providing him a lifestyle.

If Greer were to demean AS that way in court, he’d lose that jury for sure. Too many of them would feel that he could be slurring them as well.

So Rebecca was not perfect and made mistakes like the rest of us. Every person has an inner struggle and battle to be the best version of themselves that they believe is possible, challenging themselves to exceed beyond expectations and satisfy others. Rebecca was in an abusive marriage which in itself is very difficult to cope with, let alone the expectation of parents and others.

Whatever Rebecca may have done wrong in her life does not justify what happened to her because her life was not perfect.

So Rebecca was not perfect and made mistakes like the rest of us. Every person has an inner struggle and battle to be the best version of themselves that they believe is possible, challenging themselves to exceed beyond expectations and satisfy others. Rebecca was in an abusive marriage which in itself is very difficult to cope with, let alone the expectation of parents and others.

Whatever Rebecca may have done wrong in her life does not justify what happened to her because her life was not perfect.

I agree. I’m just pointing out that demeaning the career or stay-at-home choices of anyone in this case does not advance the debate over suicide or murder. It’s just an emotional “feel-good” against a chosen villain that would never work in a courtroom.

That’s why I think Greer did a fine job yesterday. He’s staying out of the weeds. He could have alll CEOs on that jury, but who knows what their parents did for a living.

From Mary:

Before him, Jonah Schacknai testified and attempted very hard to accomplish character assassination of Rebecca. He tried to say Rebecca knew how to tie knots and her conflict with his daughter was upsetting enough to support the suicide theory. Attorney Greer pointed out that he lied on the stand by reading Jonah’s deposition under oath where he stated that he was not aware that Rebecca knew how to tie knots or has seen her do it.

BBM

Why is Jonah lying on the stand?

I'm glad Mr. Greer pointed it out to the jury.

I wonder if the jury also noticed the discrepancy between Dina and Jonah's testimony? Did Dina tell the jury about the stabbing motion and Asian honor remark?

I don't care how rehearsed or polished one can appear while testifying, if they lie and the jury sees it, that's a problem.

IMO, the gushing over him is unwarranted but I understand when you admire a person it has to be hard to hear an opposing view.

Since RZ is the victim instead of the one sitting in front of judge and jury as the defendant in a murder case I don’t think there is any comparison.

Some things don’t have to be said in court- it’s obvious but this is a discussion forum.

Adam, imo, demeans himself with his words and behaviors.

Maybe snotty rich folks in SD think it is demeaning to work a tug or barge but around here it is considered good work.

I believe this is where the “Asian honor” comment originated. Admittedly, not my favorite source, but it is coming from Dina.

Snip-

Jonah and Dina were at Max’s side when Adam called. Jonah left the room to take the call. When he returned, Dina says, he told her that Rebecca had killed herself, and then he pantomimed stabbing himself in the stomach. “Why?” Dina recalls asking. “Asian honor,” Jonah said.

When investigators from the San Diego County Sheriff ’s Department came to interview Jonah at the hospital that afternoon, he said, “She comes from a true Asian background... they just look at things differently in terms of responsibility.”

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/s...6/shaknai-deaths-mystery-coronado-california/

IMO, the gushing over him is unwarranted but I understand when you admire a person it has to be hard to hear an opposing view.

Since RZ is the victim instead of the one sitting in front of judge and jury as the defendant in a murder case I don’t think there is any comparison.

Some things don’t have to be said in court- it’s obvious but this is a discussion forum.

Adam, imo, demeans himself with his words and behaviors.

Maybe snotty rich folks in SD think it is demeaning to work a tug or barge but around here it is considered good work.

I agree it’s good work. To take exception to his career being demeaned as “ not accomplished” is my reaction to that comment, not professing “admiration” ne way or the other.

There are many people I consider “accomplished” whose other choices preclude me from “admiring” them.

But I’m happy to agree with you that only “rich snotty persons” would demean the career path of a man who worked on a tug. And I mean that sincerely.

I believe this is where the “Asian honor” comment originated. Admittedly, not my favorite source, but it is coming from Dina.

Snip-

Jonah and Dina were at Max’s side when Adam called. Jonah left the room to take the call. When he returned, Dina says, he told her that Rebecca had killed herself, and then he pantomimed stabbing himself in the stomach. “Why?” Dina recalls asking. “Asian honor,” Jonah said.

When investigators from the San Diego County Sheriff ’s Department came to interview Jonah at the hospital that afternoon, he said, “She comes from a true Asian background... they just look at things differently in terms of responsibility.”

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/s...6/shaknai-deaths-mystery-coronado-california/

So the interview with the investigators seems to confirm DS version.

Dina on Max’s condition:

Snip-

Dina Shacknai, in her deposition, said her ex-husband told her the boy had suffered a heart attack and fell over the second-floor banister.

She said doctors were initially hopeful about Max’s prognosis.
“I didn’t realize how serious the injury was,” she said. “I’m thinking he’d be out (of the hospital) next week.”

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/courts/sd-me-zahau-day6-story.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members