Wrongful death trial begins. Trial coverage and discussion

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for this post. I saw this lady in court, I didn’t realize she was a reporter ( will know next time!) it’s a pretty accurate article and she covers the other positive points too. Hopefully my feedback fills in some of the gaps.

I did feel like this article didn't have the typical negative spin (or suicide spin) I've seen in some reporting. She seemed to give both the positive and the negative in fair fashion, so that was a pleasant surprise. Glad to have your confirmation that it was relatively accurate, and yes, you definitely filled in many of the gaps. Your reporting back to us is invaluable. You don't have to be an expert, you are providing a layman's interpretation of the goings on in the courtroom. We truly appreciate it!!!

I did feel like this article didn't have the typical negative spin (or suicide spin) I've seen in some reporting. She seemed to give both the positive and the negative in fair fashion, so that was a pleasant surprise. Glad to have your confirmation that it was relatively accurate, and yes, you definitely filled in many of the gaps. Your reporting back to us is invaluable. You don't have to be an expert, you are providing a layman's interpretation of the goings on in the courtroom. We truly appreciate it!!!

Thanks so much 💕

For the life of me I cannot understand why nobody is talking about Adam saying Rebecca hung herself in the guest house! Also how does he KNOW that SHE hung herself, couldn’t someone else have done it?? Pretty presumptive on his part so early on, unless, that is, he’s leading the LE to believe that.
In researching the 911 Call by XZ (not available), I learned Adams 911 call said released by mistake.

So... When did AS get the knife to cut Rebecca down?

[Cynic] This is my transcript of the call:

911 Operator: 911 Emergency, what are you reporting?

AS: Yeah, I got a girl, hung herself in the guest house, over, it's on Ocean Boulevard across from the hotel. Same place you came and got the kid yesterday.

911 Operator: Okay sir, what is the address?

AS: I’m not sure, uh…, 19… on the back house it’s 1928 something, uh, I’m not sure. Let me call you back.

(AS remains on the phone, however)

911 Operator: Okay sir, is she still alive?

AS: I don’t know.

(Various scraping sounds)

(Sound of stick falling?)

AS: S**t.

AS: *advertiser censored**

AS: No.

AS: *advertiser censored***n kid.

AS: Oops.

(8 seconds of silence)

AS: Ah.

911 Operator: Sir, are you there?

AS: Ah, ah, ah, ah…

(Sound of something breaking/snapping)

AS: Ah, are you alive?

AS: No…

AS: Hello… hello.

911 Operator: Yes sir.

AS: Did you get the address?

911 Operator: No sir, I need the address.

AS: I’m doing CPR right now.

AS: You came here yesterday to pick up a little boy.

911 Operator: Okay sir, I wasn't working yesterday. I don't know what you're talking about.

AS: You checked your records?

911 Operator: Sir, I checked all of the records yesterday. I can't find anything on Ocean Boulevard. Can you tell me what the address is?

AS: I'm looking. Just start sending them towards us, towards the hotel.

911 Operator: Okay, I understand that, I just need the exact address, I can’t help you until I have the address.

(AS is heard breathing heavily.)

AS: 1043 Ocean Boulevard.

911 Operator: 1043 Ocean, okay.

911 Operator: Is she still alive?

AS: I don’t think so.

911 Operator: Okay, let me get the fire department, sir, hang on, let me get the fire department on the phone to help you, hang on just a minute.

AS: *advertiser censored**, come on…

Fire/EMS operator: Fire, medical emergency.

911 Operator: Coronado with a transfer, go ahead sir.

Fire/EMS operator: Hi, what’s the emergency?

AS: Got a lady, hung herself.

Fire/EMS operator: What’s the address?

AS: 1043 Ocean Boulevard.

Fire/EMS operator: 1043 Ocean Boulevard?

AS: Yeah.

Fire/EMS operator: Okay, what’s wrong?

AS: She hung herself, man, I just woke up.

Fire/EMS operator: Okay, is this a house?

AS: It’s a house, yeah…

Fire/EMS operator: Okay, how old is she?

AS: She's about 30.

Fire/EMS operator: 30, okay, when's the last time you saw her?

AS: Last night.

Fire/EMS operator: Okay, is she beyond help?

AS: I’m talking to, I’m doing, I’m compressing her chest right now, I’m up to about 20, 30 now.

Fire/EMS operator: What’s your name?

AS: Adam Shacknai.

Fire/EMS operator: Okay, I have help on the way, what’s your cell phone number? Is it 901-485..?

AS: 901-485…

Fire/EMS operator: Okay, listen to me, help is coming right now, okay.

Fire/EMS operator: And PD, you're on the way?

911 Operator: Yes we are.

Fire/EMS operator: Okay, and you’re right there with her, did you cut her down?

AS: Yes I did.

Fire/EMS operator: Okay, just stay with me.
Last edited by cynic; 12-02-2011 at 12:08 AM.

For the life of me I cannot understand why nobody is talking about Adam saying Rebecca hung herself in the guest house! Also how does he KNOW that SHE hung herself, couldn’t someone else have done it?? Pretty presumptive on his part so early on, unless, that is, he’s leading the LE to believe that.

My impression of "the guest house" or "in the guesthouse" was not that he was intending to say she hung herself there, but that he was offering irrelevant, extraneous information in a disconnected way. He knew he wanted to get in the fact that he was separate, he was in the guest house, or he was coming from the guesthouse to help facilitate his alibi, so this was top on his mind & he blurted it out at a totally inappropriate time, where it didn't fit & didn't help provide essential information.

You are right, he has no way of knowing she "hung HERSELF." Based on the scene he happens upon, that is not the first, logical thought. Again, it appears to be an early attempt to start telling his story -- she hung herself, he wasn't there.

My impression of the 911 call

AS: ...Same place you came and got the kid yesterday.

AS: You came here yesterday to pick up a little boy.

911 Operator: Okay sir, I wasn't working yesterday. I don't know what you're talking about.

AS: You checked your records?

911 Operator: Sir, I checked all of the records yesterday. I can't find anything on Ocean Boulevard. Can you tell me what the address is?

The 911 operator can't locate the records because Max's accident happened two days previous, not yesterday. Adam would know this because there is no mistaking that he knew it didn't happen the day he flew in. I think he is still mentally in yesterday (which would then make it true that Max's accident happened yesterday) because he has not slept that night. He would be accessing his true memory to give accurate information about Max's accident to get this assistance.

This reality for him is backed up again when he says :

Fire/EMS operator: Okay, what’s wrong?
AS: She hung herself, man, I just woke up.

Not only is it a red flag because it doesn't answer any question asked of him, but it is a triple red flag because it is totally irrelevant in the emergency of someone who could be dying, he is giving himself an alibi (in a suicide), and he's talked us out of believing him because he said it without need.

I would presume from these leaks that he did not wake up and to be still in the reality of yesterday he did not sleep that night.

He also lets slip his anxiety about reporting the death because he is going to have to repeat everything when the 911 operator transfers him to the fire department:

911 Operator: Okay, let me get the fire department, sir, hang on, let me get the fire department on the phone to help you, hang on just a minute.

AS: *advertiser censored**, come on…

Lezah’s reporting as a layman is far better than any of the “professional” reporting from the courtroom, IMO. It’s very informative, detailed, and truthful.

Thank you, Lezah!

I'm not so sure. If the jury believes the probability that RZ could have committed suicide in such a manner is extremely low (or zero), yet there's no DNA present at all (other than RZ's), were I a juror, I'd be inclined to conclude all surfaces were wiped down (perhaps with those dryer sheets that were found) and/or he wore gloves.

I agree, in fact that is what I believe-- that surfaces were wiped down.

My concern is that the jury might not think there is enough proof, or any proof that Adam did it. I wonder, and this is really my biggest hope for this case-- is if the jury believes RZ was murdered, but can't say by whom, will that be enough to get the case re-opened by law enforcement? There is no statute of limitations on murder and Rebecca deserves true justice. Somebody needs to be in prison!

Imo, you're asking questions only a thorough, unbiased death investigation could answer. No such investigation was conducted. For example, if only RZ's DNA was found on the ropes, what areas and how much of the rope was tested? If the SDSO tested every inch of each piece of rope (which they didn't), then the killer wore gloves.

I think it will be fairly easy for Mr. Greer to counter the "no AS DNA" by simply pointing to the gloves found at the scene, the dryer sheets found at the scene, and the *peculiar* approach SDSO took in their collection and testing of evidence.

It's also important to always keep in mind the improbability that anyone could or would commit suicide in the manner they claim Rebecca did. Possibly impossible; definitely improbable.

I have to ask myself WHY the investigation was peculiar (putting it mildly) in the first place? Does a tugboat worker from Memphis have enough clout to sway law enforcement in San Diego?

<modsnip>

I am having a hard time trying to work out the sequence of an attack .Reviewing the motion for summary judgement it appears the sequence may have occurred something like the following:

-Rebecca stands out on patio (dirty feet and footprints) and screams for help (neighbor hears the screams)
-hit over the head four times and knocked unconscious
-message is painted during this time
-sexually assaulted with knife handle and paint is transferred over to Rebecca&#8217;s body
-strangled
-rope tied to bed
-Rebecca is bound and hog tied
-hoisted over the balcony

Where does Rebecca holding the knife toward her back come into the sequence?

The fingerprints found on the kitchen knife's blade line up to suggest Zahau was holding the knife when her arms were already bound behind her back.

DiMeo stood for the jurors and said if she were holding the knife where the prints are, the blade would be pointing to the ceiling. However, behind the back, the blade points in toward the back, she testified.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/lo...onado-Mansion-Mysterious-Death-475576263.html

Thoughts?

my impression of the 911 call

the 911 operator can't locate the records because max's accident happened two days previous, not yesterday. Adam would know this because there is no mistaking that he knew it didn't happen the day he flew in. I think he is still mentally in yesterday (which would then make it true that max's accident happened yesterday) because he has not slept that night. He would be accessing his true memory to give accurate information about max's accident to get this assistance.

not only is it a red flag because it doesn't answer any question asked of him, but it is a triple red flag because it is totally irrelevant in the emergency of someone who could be dying, he is giving himself an alibi (in a suicide), and he's talked us out of believing him because he said it without need.

I would presume from these leaks that he did not wake up and to be still in the reality of yesterday he did not sleep that night.

He also lets slip his anxiety about reporting the death because he is going to have to repeat everything when the 911 operator transfers him to the fire department:

**this

"Still mentally in yesterday"(, probably for more reasons than one), so yes, In adam's mind,--just yesterday max got hurt. simple, unencumbered brilliant point.

Mr. Greer has graciously agreed to an interview today after 4 pm. Please post any questions you may have.

Perhaps Rebecca was attacked as she was getting out of the shower, a struggle ensued, she screamed for help, then she was hit over the head. While she was partially unconscious Adam hogtied her and then assaulted her with the knife. Afterwards he left the room thinking she was still unconscious, and she awakened and tried to free herself. He came back and finished her off, strangling her, and hoisted her over the balcony, although I question whether she was actually ever thrown over the balcony as there’s no real proof. Whose to say Adam didn’t put her on the ground in the backyard and fake cutting her down?

:tyou: Tricia

Questions for Mr. Greer:

1. Red Dog Bone - Could Mr. Greer onfirm if the red dog bone it was or was not seized by LE? Was it dusted, tagged or swabbed?

2. Door Squiggles - Could Mr. Greer confirm where the squiggles on the “message door” came from? Did LE find the door with the squiggles or did LE make the squiggles.

3. Ins Policy - What type of insurance policy, and how much liability, is carrying Adam in this suit? An umbrella? Homeowners? Court documents listed the company as Travelers Insurance Company.
A big TIA :daisy:

I am having a hard time trying to work out the sequence of an attack .Reviewing the motion for summary judgement it appears the sequence may have occurred something like the following:

-Rebecca stands out on patio (dirty feet and footprints) and screams for help (neighbor hears the screams)
-hit over the head four times and knocked unconscious
-message is painted during this time
-sexually assaulted with knife handle and paint is transferred over to Rebecca&#8217;s body
-strangled
-rope tied to bed
-Rebecca is bound and hog tied
-hoisted over the balcony

Where does Rebecca holding the knife toward her back come into the sequence?

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/lo...onado-Mansion-Mysterious-Death-475576263.html

Thoughts?

I have thought maybe AS intentionally smudged her fingerprints onto the knife and other items while she was bound to confuse investigators...?

"Still mentally in yesterday"(, probably for more reasons than one), so yes, In adam's mind,--just yesterday max got hurt. simple, unencumbered brilliant point.

I work overnights 7p to 7a, have done so for 9 yrs, and STILL often have to reorient myself (as in, "is this Tuesday now or ... ???") I think AS never slept so thought Max's accident was the day prior, "yesterday" as he said in the 911 call.

Perhaps Rebecca was attacked as she was getting out of the shower, a struggle ensued, she screamed for help, then she was hit over the head. While she was partially unconscious Adam hogtied her and then assaulted her with the knife. Afterwards he left the room thinking she was still unconscious, and she awakened and tried to free herself. He came back and finished her off, strangling her, and hoisted her over the balcony, although I question whether she was actually ever thrown over the balcony as there’s no real proof. Whose to say Adam didn’t put her on the ground in the backyard and fake cutting her down?

:welcome: to WS, Lolliknows!

I agree, in fact that is what I believe-- that surfaces were wiped down.

My concern is that the jury might not think there is enough proof, or any proof that Adam did it. I wonder, and this is really my biggest hope for this case-- is if the jury believes RZ was murdered, but can't say by whom, will that be enough to get the case re-opened by law enforcement? There is no statute of limitations on murder and Rebecca deserves true justice. Somebody needs to be in prison!

I share your concern that the plaintiffs will be able to prove murder vs. suicide, but not be able to prove conclusively it was AS. I'm also concerned SDSO will refuse to re-open the case regardless, and to be honest, I'd have about zero confidence that if the case was re-opened, SDSO would do any better job the second time around. Ideally, some other law enforcement agency would provide oversight. Another concern: "lost" evidence, evidence never collected, and a full renovation of the property would certainly at a minimum complicate a new investigation.

My impression of the 911 call

The 911 operator can't locate the records because Max's accident happened two days previous, not yesterday. Adam would know this because there is no mistaking that he knew it didn't happen the day he flew in. I think he is still mentally in yesterday (which would then make it true that Max's accident happened yesterday) because he has not slept that night. He would be accessing his true memory to give accurate information about Max's accident to get this assistance.

Not only is it a red flag because it doesn't answer any question asked of him, but it is a triple red flag because it is totally irrelevant in the emergency of someone who could be dying, he is giving himself an alibi (in a suicide), and he's talked us out of believing him because he said it without need.

Fabulous post! Fills in some gaps beyond "Dude just doesn't sound right on that call," which is where I have been stuck for years!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member